Forums46
Topics537,025
Posts9,719,523
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Group THF Audad ewe hunt with Mike McKinny [Re: 7mag] #6742902 04/22/17 04:03 PM
E
el_cazador713 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Great job! Great pic!

Re: Group THF Audad ewe hunt with Mike McKinny [Re: 7mag] #6743025 04/22/17 06:50 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
jealous crying

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Group THF Audad ewe hunt with Mike McKinny [Re: Buzzsaw] #6743119 04/22/17 08:57 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
jealous crying

More than X2

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Group THF Audad ewe hunt with Mike McKinny [Re: 7mag] #6743191 04/22/17 11:11 PM
mulie_mike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
11 down so far and counting......

Specializing in Free Range hunts in far west Texas for Native & Exotic Game. Hunts for All budgets with Financing available.

www.westtexashunt.com

Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WestTexasHuntOrganization/
Re: Group THF Audad ewe hunt with Mike McKinny [Re: 7mag] #6743194 04/22/17 11:25 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Well done Mike.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Group THF Audad ewe hunt with Mike McKinny [Re: 7mag] #6743393 04/23/17 02:30 AM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
So full review...

Arrived Friday around 1. Meet a few minutes from camp. We were at camp and done with paperwork by two. Mike is younger than I expected but very knowledgeable. He offered a place to check weapons, but no one took him up. We went out around 4. Three different groups went out. Me and another hunter set out in an utv with a guide. We would drive a bit then glass hills then drive some more. After a few stops we drove up some trails to the top of the hills. As we were driving around we saw an ewe running down a bisecting fence line. We hopped out and tried to track her to get a shot, but didn't have much luck. We hiked back to the utv and drove around some more. Towards dusk we got angry at some rocks and decided to do some long range target shooting. After that we tracked back to camp, where a bunch of chicken was finishing up on the grill. After dinner and some discussion about the spring deer season we went to bed.

We were up at 6am the next day and out the door at 645. We started the prcocess similar as the day before. We found a group of ewes about 800 yard, near the top of a hill. We had two options, go to the top of the hill the ewes were on or go to the hill to the right that is shorter and try to get in position for a 400-500 yard shot. We choose the later, but by time we get up the hill the ewes had gone around the face of the hill. We headed back to the utv. A little further down the road we found some ewes about 350 yards up a hill. While pulling the guns out for a shot, the ewes went up over the top of the hill. The guide and I decided to go up the hill for them. I made it up...a bit slower then my billy goat for a guide, but I did make it up. We didn't see signs of the ewes that went over but we did some others on a bowl about 800 yards across the valley. We began to follow around the top of the mountain in the direction the ewes were moving. We were hiking around for an hourish when we thought we could get a shot on them. Regrettably they had ducked into another bowl. We began working around the top. I am tracking a few yards behind the guide as we round the bowl. The guide stops. I stop as well. He wispers, she is right there. I had saw some brown as I came around the corner, but I just chalked it up to vegetation. I peer through the corner of my eye and a ewe is 50 yards to my right. I chamber a round and took aim. I pointed out that she was laying down. The guide say so...shoot her. I was a bit shakey so I quickly tried to use my pack as a support. It was too short, so I used the sling the right way and drew my rifle on the ewe. I let one fly and hit her. She got up walked a few yards so I let another one fly. She staggered down to the ground. As the guide and I are standing there another group of ewes walks up. The guide glasses them and I say call it. He says far right and I take aim and send a round. She drops instantly. I turn to the guide and and say good because that was my last round. I forget my extra bullets and only had my magazine with me.

We walk over to the the ewes, take some pics, and pull out knives. The guide and I go to work getting the meat out. He taught me a few tricks on gutless method for quartering meat. It went really well. We get the meat loaded up in bags and start trekking back to the utv.

All in all a good hunt. A lot of fun. The guides were excellent. Very knowledge and fun to be around.

Re: Group THF Audad ewe hunt with Mike McKinny [Re: 7mag] #6743428 04/23/17 02:59 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Excellent write up Cleric cheers

[Linked Image]
Re: Group THF Audad ewe hunt with Mike McKinny [Re: Cleric] #6743449 04/23/17 03:31 AM
J
joshf303 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Cleric
So full review...

Arrived Friday around 1. Meet a few minutes from camp. We were at camp and done with paperwork by two. Mike is younger than I expected but very knowledgeable. He offered a place to check weapons, but no one took him up. We went out around 4. Three different groups went out. Me and another hunter set out in an utv with a guide. We would drive a bit then glass hills then drive some more. After a few stops we drove up some trails to the top of the hills. As we were driving around we saw an ewe running down a bisecting fence line. We hopped out and tried to track her to get a shot, but didn't have much luck. We hiked back to the utv and drove around some more. Towards dusk we got angry at some rocks and decided to do some long range target shooting. After that we tracked back to camp, where a bunch of chicken was finishing up on the grill. After dinner and some discussion about the spring deer season we went to bed.

We were up at 6am the next day and out the door at 645. We started the prcocess similar as the day before. We found a group of ewes about 800 yard, near the top of a hill. We had two options, go to the top of the hill the ewes were on or go to the hill to the right that is shorter and try to get in position for a 400-500 yard shot. We choose the later, but by time we get up the hill the ewes had gone around the face of the hill. We headed back to the utv. A little further down the road we found some ewes about 350 yards up a hill. While pulling the guns out for a shot, the ewes went up over the top of the hill. The guide and I decided to go up the hill for them. I made it up...a bit slower then my billy goat for a guide, but I did make it up. We didn't see signs of the ewes that went over but we did some others on a bowl about 800 yards across the valley. We began to follow around the top of the mountain in the direction the ewes were moving. We were hiking around for an hourish when we thought we could get a shot on them. Regrettably they had ducked into another bowl. We began working around the top. I am tracking a few yards behind the guide as we round the bowl. The guide stops. I stop as well. He wispers, she is right there. I had saw some brown as I came around the corner, but I just chalked it up to vegetation. I peer through the corner of my eye and a ewe is 50 yards to my right. I chamber a round and took aim. I pointed out that she was laying down. The guide say so...shoot her. I was a bit shakey so I quickly tried to use my pack as a support. It was too short, so I used the sling the right way and drew my rifle on the ewe. I let one fly and hit her. She got up walked a few yards so I let another one fly. She staggered down to the ground. As the guide and I are standing there another group of ewes walks up. The guide glasses them and I say call it. He says far right and I take aim and send a round. She drops instantly. I turn to the guide and and say good because that was my last round. I forget my extra bullets and only had my magazine with me.

We walk over to the the ewes, take some pics, and pull out knives. The guide and I go to work getting the meat out. He taught me a few tricks on gutless method for quartering meat. It went really well. We get the meat loaded up in bags and start trekking back to the utv.

All in all a good hunt. A lot of fun. The guides were excellent. Very knowledge and fun to be around.

"You don't need dang shooting sticks.... Just shoot!" laugh

Good job Daniel. There is way more whorawing going on in camp tonight than I gave you about running out of shells.

Re: Group THF Audad ewe hunt with Mike McKinny [Re: 7mag] #6743450 04/23/17 03:32 AM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
I didn't run out of shells. I downed my limit...I call it planning

Re: Group THF Audad ewe hunt with Mike McKinny [Re: 7mag] #6744179 04/24/17 03:10 AM
C
cmorsch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
It was a fun hunt. The 8 hour drive home with the stop at the taxidermist was a little rough after falling yesterday afternoon. A big thanks to mulie mike and his crew for a great time.

Last edited by cmorsch; 04/24/17 03:15 AM.
Re: Group THF Audad ewe hunt with Mike McKinny [Re: 7mag] #6744441 04/24/17 03:09 PM
T
TXSIGNGUY Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I'd like to say that Mike and his guy's did a hell of a job.

From the meet up to the departure, I can honestly say it was one of the best times I've had on a hunt and a HUNT it was, from all the glassing, Stalking and Hiking in big beautiful country with plenty of opportunity's. We laughed, We cussed, hell we even bled a little but was ALL worth it.
Mike has some of the best folks working with him I've been around and meeting some fellow forum members was a blast.

I'd like to say a special thanks to Clint, our groups guide. He worked his tail off the entire time while guiding us. He stayed diligent in his approach even after multiple misses and close calls but put us on animals constantly. He took care of everything from Driving, Spotting, cleaning and packing every animal harvested down some rough country. He was professional the entire weekend and a hell of a guy to just talk up while out in the field.

Paul made sure we All had everything we needed at camp and was a hell of a cook and a great guy to boot.

All in All had a Blast and would highly recommend giving Mike a call for all your hunting needs.

Thanks again to Mike and all his guy's for a Great hunt and hope he decides to offer more THF Group hunts in the future.

Re: Group THF Audad ewe hunt with Mike McKinny [Re: 7mag] #6745701 04/25/17 07:58 PM
J
Jr's_Dad Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Now that I am fully on here I just wanted to comment about our experience with Mike and his group. "Junior" and I found the meeting point with no troubles and it was only a short distance from camp. Mike and his crew were very courteous and even though we had never experienced a hunt of this type they were more than willing to walk us through the process and make it as easy and fun as possible. Every meal was excellent and Junior still hasn't stopped talking about all of his experiences from Shannon's little buddy to Mr. Alternator. I want to thank Mike, his crew and all the hunters that participated for making this his most memorable hunting experience.

I highly recommend Mike and his crew. Thank you again.

Re: Group THF Audad ewe hunt with Mike McKinny [Re: Jr's_Dad] #6745729 04/25/17 08:15 PM
L
LBG Safaris Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
Originally Posted By: Jr's_Dad
Now that I am fully on here I just wanted to comment about our experience with Mike and his group. "Junior" and I found the meeting point with no troubles and it was only a short distance from camp. Mike and his crew were very courteous and even though we had never experienced a hunt of this type they were more than willing to walk us through the process and make it as easy and fun as possible. Every meal was excellent and Junior still hasn't stopped talking about all of his experiences from Shannon's little buddy to Mr. Alternator. I want to thank Mike, his crew and all the hunters that participated for making this his most memorable hunting experience.

Good report.
Thank you

Kind Regards
Bossie, DJ Mostert
Limpopo Big Game Safaris
www.lbgsafaris.com
lbgsafaris@yahoo.com
hunt@lbgsafaris.com
[Linked Image]
Re: Group THF Audad ewe hunt with Mike McKinny [Re: Jr's_Dad] #6745778 04/25/17 09:19 PM
T
TXSIGNGUY Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Jr's_Dad

up My little buddy huh.... rofl
Glad you've decide to be a full participant Sir..

Last edited by TXSIGNGUY; 04/25/17 09:20 PM.
Re: Group THF Audad ewe hunt with Mike McKinny [Re: 7mag] #6746267 04/26/17 11:48 AM
J
jaustin Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J

Well I guess I still haven't figured out the post picture thing. But the the hunt was great, the food was great, and Mike is a stand up guy. I would definitely do this again.

Last edited by jaustin; 04/26/17 11:52 AM.
Re: Group THF Audad ewe hunt with Mike McKinny [Re: 7mag] #6746320 04/26/17 12:46 PM
J
jaustin Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J

Re: Group THF Audad ewe hunt with Mike McKinny [Re: 7mag] #6747281 04/27/17 02:26 AM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
My Daughter and I are hunting with Mike in November. I love hearing what a great person Mike is.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Group THF Audad ewe hunt with Mike McKinny [Re: jaustin] #6747287 04/27/17 02:37 AM
L
Lazyman Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
L

Re: Group THF Audad ewe hunt with Mike McKinny [Re: jaustin] #6747289 04/27/17 02:41 AM
L
Lazyman Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: jaustin

Here you go...

Re: Group THF Audad ewe hunt with Mike McKinny [Re: Lazyman] #6747361 04/27/17 04:05 AM
T
TXSIGNGUY Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Lazyman
Originally Posted By: jaustin

Here you go...

up banana

Re: Group THF Audad ewe hunt with Mike McKinny [Re: 7mag] #6747368 04/27/17 04:30 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
cheers Nice work

[Linked Image]
Re: Group THF Audad ewe hunt with Mike McKinny [Re: 7mag] #6747427 04/27/17 11:21 AM
J
jaustin Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Thanks Lazyman!
By the way, I roasted a backstrap last night and it was surprisingly good. It was a wee bit tough but the flavor was very mild.

Re: Group THF Audad ewe hunt with Mike McKinny [Re: 7mag] #6747755 04/27/17 04:35 PM
D
Dalep Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Its always interesting when I see someone from another forum post here. I know ive seen Mike recommended multiple times On AH forum and I imagine this hunt will only help that going forward

Re: Group THF Audad ewe hunt with Mike McKinny [Re: 7mag] #6750627 04/30/17 11:54 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Just ate some back strap. I trimmed the strap, then cut them into medallions, salt and pepper and served with rice and asparagus

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide