Print Thread
Hunting exotic's in summer ? #6741828 04/21/17 02:48 PM
J
JD88 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
J
So we are looking into a July exotic hunt. A few questions is the heat miserable ? Do the animals do much moving during the day? Thanks

Re: Hunting exotic's in summer ? [Re: JD88] #6741883 04/21/17 03:31 PM
R
rickym Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Yes the heat is miserable, its summer in Texas. They will move early and late, during the day they are held up under trees and near watering holes. Usually you can drive around in the middle of the day and put on a stalk or set up for when they get up in the afternoon in search of food.

Re: Hunting exotic's in summer ? [Re: JD88] #6741885 04/21/17 03:34 PM
J
JD88 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
J
I was afraid of that we live in Colorado and don't deal with a lot of heat maybe I will push it off until early fall out plan was to go in may but just didn't work out

Re: Hunting exotic's in summer ? [Re: JD88] #6741891 04/21/17 03:42 PM
S
SJdport57 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
Yeah, later fall would be a better option. I just went hunting at the beginning of March and the heat in the middle of the day was unbearable for hunting (and I live in Texas!). We only left the lodging in the early morning and evening to hunt. We did all our hog hunting at night to avoid the heat.

Re: Hunting exotic's in summer ? [Re: JD88] #6742154 04/21/17 07:45 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
The only thing I can see that you should really consider an exotic hunt for in the summer would be for axis. I only say that because a lot of ranches are set up to fill in axis hunting in the summer months so they can have hunting year around. Barasingha deer are also good to hunt in late July or August because they can have a tendency to break off a lot of their antler as soon as they come out of velvet in July. I think one should consider asking that to the particular outfitter that you want to hunt with. Not every ranch has hard antler axis year around unless they have a well established herd or are bringing them in for put and take. Generally most axis across the board(the greater majority of the bucks) will be in hard antler from April up to November, maybe even Thanksgiving. A rut period can be any time of year for the axis but a lot of ranches will have it in the summer. If that's the case with the axis on the ranch you you want to go to, mak sure you check references with that ranch on previous hunters for that time of year. Then decide on if you want to hunt them at that time or come in th fall and possibly expect to see some with broken antlers or maybe not as many to choose from. Ask the ranch if they bring in any for the fall hunters and how many they can expect to see in the fall versus the summer. Also consider that in the fall a lot of areas may have a large acorn crop at that time. This can help in the success or make it harder. Ask them how they deal with that. Are they hunting over food plots because they may help too.

The heat is just a small part of the adventure. To me there is much more to worry about when choosing to hunt the exotics than if you want to hunt in the heat or not. If it's for health reason I understand. But it is Texas. It's gonna be hot, that's just a given. Lots of water. No sugars. Ask how your outfitter or ranch deals with it to help their customers be comfortable. You could be riding in a truck safari style with the AC going. You could be in a blind with an AC. Texas is the King of year-round hunting and I promise you there is an outfitter out there that can help you handle the heat. Don't let that stop you from going after the prime time to hunt your game that your after if it's axis.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Hunting exotic's in summer ? [Re: JD88] #6742158 04/21/17 07:53 PM
J
JD88 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
J
Great thanks guys I will take that all into consideration it will be my wife and I and it's just a axis blackbuck meat hunt so it's not like a trophy hunt just a litttle get away

Re: Hunting exotic's in summer ? [Re: JD88] #6742161 04/21/17 07:55 PM
P
Pierce Trophy Hunts Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
We are doing bay fishing/Nilgai hunt combo trips this summer. Come down and fish the laguna madre in the morning, then hunt late in the evening for a Nilgai bull.
www.piercetrophyhunts.com

Re: Hunting exotic's in summer ? [Re: Pierce Trophy Hunts] #6742171 04/21/17 08:04 PM
J
JD88 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
J
Originally Posted By: Pierce Trophy Hunts
We are doing bay fishing/Nilgai hunt combo trips this summer. Come down and fish the laguna madre in the morning, then hunt late in the evening for a Nilgai bull.
www.piercetrophyhunts.com

Where are you located

Re: Hunting exotic's in summer ? [Re: Curtis] #6742212 04/21/17 08:37 PM
E
Elkhunter49 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: Curtis
The only thing I can see that you should really consider an exotic hunt for in the summer would be for axis. I only say that because a lot of ranches are set up to fill in axis hunting in the summer months so they can have hunting year around. Barasingha deer are also good to hunt in late July or August because they can have a tendency to break off a lot of their antler as soon as they come out of velvet in July. I think one should consider asking that to the particular outfitter that you want to hunt with. Not every ranch has hard antler axis year around unless they have a well established herd or are bringing them in for put and take. Generally most axis across the board(the greater majority of the bucks) will be in hard antler from April up to November, maybe even Thanksgiving. A rut period can be any time of year for the axis but a lot of ranches will have it in the summer. If that's the case with the axis on the ranch you you want to go to, mak sure you check references with that ranch on previous hunters for that time of year. Then decide on if you want to hunt them at that time or come in th fall and possibly expect to see some with broken antlers or maybe not as many to choose from. Ask the ranch if they bring in any for the fall hunters and how many they can expect to see in the fall versus the summer. Also consider that in the fall a lot of areas may have a large acorn crop at that time. This can help in the success or make it harder. Ask them how they deal with that. Are they hunting over food plots because they may help too.

The heat is just a small part of the adventure. To me there is much more to worry about when choosing to hunt the exotics than if you want to hunt in the heat or not. If it's for health reason I understand. But it is Texas. It's gonna be hot, that's just a given. Lots of water. No sugars. Ask how your outfitter or ranch deals with it to help their customers be comfortable. You could be riding in a truck safari style with the AC going. You could be in a blind with an AC. Texas is the King of year-round hunting and I promise you there is an outfitter out there that can help you handle the heat. Don't let that stop you from going after the prime time to hunt your game that your after if it's axis.

This is some great advise sir, thanks for sharing your knowledge! up

A true friend reaches for your hand but touches your heart.
Re: Hunting exotic's in summer ? [Re: JD88] #6742475 04/22/17 01:37 AM
P
Pierce Trophy Hunts Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Raymondville/Port Mansfield area. Lodge is very close to Port Mansfield

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide