Forum Stats
61819 Members
46 Forums
427752 Topics
5900225 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6741520 - 04/20/17 09:17 PM Someone asked why they should join the TPWF?
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

Here's just one of the many reasons.

Spring, Texas

#6741543 - 04/20/17 09:45 PM Re: Someone asked why they should join the TPWF? [Re: Texas Dan]
Creekrunner Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
Well done video.
...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28

#6742768 - 04/22/17 08:22 AM Re: Someone asked why they should join the TPWF? [Re: Creekrunner]
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Mountain Home, Uvalde, and Big...
Nah. Pronghorn aren't "endangered" in Texas. Simply ridiculous to think that the state of Texas is going to "save" them. Or needs more of our money to do it.

And anyway, if you really wanted to "save" the pronghorn (or any species) you'd deregulate them and let private landowners control every aspect of their lives. Look no further than west Texas elk for a prime example. State had absolutely nothing to do with their re-introduction and propogation. And now we have elk over much of their native west Texas range.
"I cant wait to see if he plays this week, and if he does if he can actually break 50 percent completion ratio. Haha or maybe even throw for 200 yards. Possibly break a QB rating of 75." - Texas Tatonka
www.bigironranchadventures.com

#6742779 - 04/22/17 08:36 AM Re: Someone asked why they should join the TPWF? [Re: Texas Dan]
Creekrunner Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
Merriam's elk were in West Texas. They're extinct.
...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28

#6742886 - 04/22/17 10:50 AM Re: Someone asked why they should join the TPWF? [Re: Texas Dan]
txtrophy85 Online   content
THF Celebrity

TPWD did reintroduce some elk to west Texas along with private landowner efforts

And the pronghorn antelope population in the trans-pecos is in trouble, that's no secret

#6743443 - 04/22/17 10:22 PM Re: Someone asked why they should join the TPWF? [Re: Creekrunner]
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Mountain Home, Uvalde, and Big...
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner

Rocky mountain elk are there now. Because private landowners want them. TPWD had NOTHING to do with it.
"I cant wait to see if he plays this week, and if he does if he can actually break 50 percent completion ratio. Haha or maybe even throw for 200 yards. Possibly break a QB rating of 75." - Texas Tatonka
www.bigironranchadventures.com

#6743577 - 04/23/17 08:57 AM Re: Someone asked why they should join the TPWF? [Re: Texas Dan]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
I will never understand your acting like TPWD is "The Man" keeping you down therancher. All they really mandate is seasons and bag limits. And those are flexible as all getout with MLD programs.

HFs are fine, breeding is fine, any other management technique you like is fine - basically whatever you want to do.

TPWD basically has laws in place to make sure the poaching idiots don't decimate the resources. Beyond that, private landowners can do as they wish to protect/propagate the animals. Your "leave all up to the private landowners" mantra makes zero sense from any perspective. Just gives the idiot landowners (and there are plenty) free reign to decimate the resource to the detriment of everyone.

I get a GW wrote you a ticket one time you thought was stupid. Time to get over it.

#6743603 - 04/23/17 09:29 AM Re: Someone asked why they should join the TPWF? [Re: txtrophy85]
BOBO the Clown Online   content
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
TPWD did reintroduce some elk to west Texas along with private landowner efforts

And the pronghorn antelope population in the trans-pecos is in trouble, that's no secret

they tried to exterminate elk in their WMA's. End of the day elk are here because private landowners see value.

Antelope populations are stable and growing in the panhandle.

Maybe we should stop using panhandle antelope for introduction in TP and make a deal on some of similar latitude

#6743641 - 04/23/17 10:02 AM Re: Someone asked why they should join the TPWF? [Re: therancher]
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: therancher

Rocky mountain elk are there now. Because private landowners want them. TPWD had NOTHING to do with it.

How you think aoudad got there?

#6743701 - 04/23/17 11:20 AM Re: Someone asked why they should join the TPWF? [Re: txtrophy85]
BOBO the Clown Online   content
decoy

Loc: Metroplex

Better question why are aoudad still there. Palo duro canyon is a very small isolated area of TX, in grand scheme. The hill country and STX is private introduction.

I wonder how long it will be before they are wiped out via Ariel campaign to make room for Bighorns in palo duro....

#6743707 - 04/23/17 11:26 AM Re: Someone asked why they should join the TPWF? [Re: Texas Dan]
colt.45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: wondering about the woods
scratch Is this in reference to texas Parks & Wildlife Foundation ?
bang bang bang as a person from Minnesota & resident of texas for 30+ years, as pappy once said: i got cheap posts , they worth bout 2cents...
As in the original post by texas Dan, that's just 1 of the many reasons...

As pappy once said: what good is a voice, if left unspoken .... flag

i'm postaddic

#6743773 - 04/23/17 01:01 PM Re: Someone asked why they should join the TPWF? [Re: BOBO the Clown]
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Better question why are aoudad still there. Palo duro canyon is a very small isolated area of TX, in grand scheme. The hill country and STX is private introduction.

I wonder how long it will be before they are wiped out via Ariel campaign to make room for Bighorns in palo duro....

The state introduced them to the transpecos

With the money that aoudad are bringing now the landowners like having them around.

The bighorn sheep re-introduction is one of the biggest wastes of money imo.

#6743783 - 04/23/17 01:16 PM Re: Someone asked why they should join the TPWF? [Re: Texas Dan]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
All depends on one's priorities. Desert BH were native, and they are an iconic species. But only 8-10 tags per year and almost no opportunities for the average man to hunt unless he wins the lottery.

Aoudad are non-native, but are huntable and provide more opportunities for more people.

I side with the native species just about every time. I put thousands of $$$ into sheep draws for 13 years (still do) never expecting to ever hunt them. But my thinking was it was largely going to a good cause and maybe my grandkids could one day.....

LO desert sheep tags go for about 85K. That's 17-20 aoudad hunts.

#6743816 - 04/23/17 01:43 PM Re: Someone asked why they should join the TPWF? [Re: Texas Dan]
THF Celebrity

How many bighorn sheep tags are issued a year in Texas? 1 or 2?

#6743845 - 04/23/17 02:14 PM Re: Someone asked why they should join the TPWF? [Re: txtrophy85]
505ed Offline
Tracker

Loc: Blanco texas
How many bighorn sheep tags are issued a year in Texas? 1 or 2?

No something like 8-12 a year...only 2-3 "state" tags the rest are private.

I am going to hunt Elephant Mountain next week for Desert Bighorn, I feel very fortunate for this opportunity--and will continue to donate to the re introduction of native game.

Ed

Edited by 505ed (04/23/17 02:17 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide