Forums46
Topics537,968
Posts9,731,175
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: Deerhunter61] #6743668 04/23/17 03:25 PM
I
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Offline
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I
Just get the Razor LH and shoot something.

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Haha yea I polished that thing for hours.
Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: Ag Hunter 78] #6744226 04/24/17 04:13 AM
P
pdugas Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
Originally Posted By: Ag Hunter 78
Meoptas are great glass for the money.

+ 1

Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: Deerhunter61] #6744323 04/24/17 12:52 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
Guys,

WE have all agreed, I think, that in order to get great consistent turrets and great glass you will need to spend $$$$$. IF you can't afford to pay for both then you have to make a choice and give up, compromise, on one or the other...agreed? I understand that a lot of you shoot LR and you approach your rifle and scope that way for every rifle you own...I respect that! But I do not approach each rifle and scope that way...I approach each one based on the rifle and how I will be using it...AND I would ask that you guys respect that too.

I thought I was pretty clear when I posted this thread that glass was my priority...and then instead of answering the question based on the criteria I presented some tried to sell me the advantages of prioritizing turrets ahead...but that's not what I asked. And now guys take pot shots at me as if, because we simply disagree, I am ignorant. This truly annoys me!
JMHO - I think the reason you're getting a myriad of responses is that we've all had scopes that didn't track true and we know how frustrating it can be if you need to use that tracking on those scopes. If you are prioritizing turrets at all, then we assume that you're planning to use them. And if you plan to use them, they need to be accurate. If you don't care about how accurate the tracking is because you're not going to use it, then you should just say, "I'm looking for the best glass I can get." But there is no point in spending big money on optics for a scope that you're planning to use the turrets on, while knowing in advance that the turrets are not usable because they're inaccurate. You're better off IMHO on just using holdovers on a reticle than turning knobs that don't work.

Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: patriot07] #6744569 04/24/17 05:19 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: patriot07
Guys,

WE have all agreed, I think, that in order to get great consistent turrets and great glass you will need to spend $$$$$. IF you can't afford to pay for both then you have to make a choice and give up, compromise, on one or the other...agreed? I understand that a lot of you shoot LR and you approach your rifle and scope that way for every rifle you own...I respect that! But I do not approach each rifle and scope that way...I approach each one based on the rifle and how I will be using it...AND I would ask that you guys respect that too.

I thought I was pretty clear when I posted this thread that glass was my priority...and then instead of answering the question based on the criteria I presented some tried to sell me the advantages of prioritizing turrets ahead...but that's not what I asked. And now guys take pot shots at me as if, because we simply disagree, I am ignorant. This truly annoys me!
JMHO - I think the reason you're getting a myriad of responses is that we've all had scopes that didn't track true and we know how frustrating it can be if you need to use that tracking on those scopes. If you are prioritizing turrets at all, then we assume that you're planning to use them. And if you plan to use them, they need to be accurate. If you don't care about how accurate the tracking is because you're not going to use it, then you should just say, "I'm looking for the best glass I can get." But there is no point in spending big money on optics for a scope that you're planning to use the turrets on, while knowing in advance that the turrets are not usable because they're inaccurate. You're better off IMHO on just using holdovers on a reticle than turning knobs that don't work.

Ok, great response and I appreciate it! So IF I use the turret and dial for elevation say at 300-350 yds you are saying the tracking of a Zeus Conquest will not place the crosshairs into the kill zone?

Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: Deerhunter61] #6744600 04/24/17 06:04 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Guys,

Ok, great response and I appreciate it! So IF I use the turret and dial for elevation say at 300-350 yds you are saying the tracking of a Zeus Conquest will not place the crosshairs into the kill zone?
If you're only looking for kill zone accuracy, I have no doubt those turrets would work at least that well. But I've never used that scope, so I couldn't say for sure.

Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: Deerhunter61] #6745039 04/25/17 02:26 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Guys,

That was a great response from patriot07.

Only 350 yards, a hold is super easy, with a great reticle. I've got a great reticle in a Bushnell, and I held elevation, and wind at 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, and 800 yards on Thursday. And got all 7 shots off, with no misses, in less than 60 seconds. If I can do that, you can hold for 350 yards and in.

If you go Mil based reticle, attached to a cartridge with a decent BC, and about 2800 fps MV, your holds will be, from a 100 yard zero:

150 yards .2 Mil
200 yards .4 Mil
250 yards .7 Mil
300 yards 1.0 Mil
350 yards 1.4 Mil

Of course those are based on a long list of cartridges that have the same corrections. Depending on what you're shooting those values may need some tweaking. Easy to find in any case.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: Deerhunter61] #6745044 04/25/17 02:33 AM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Personally, I don't see why you'd even think to twist a turret for shooting out to 350 yards. Like JG say, a holdover is not that hard. You just have to know your reticle.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: RiverRider] #6745060 04/25/17 02:47 AM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Personally, I don't see why you'd even think to twist a turret for shooting out to 350 yards. Like JG say, a holdover is not that hard. You just have to know your reticle.

True...as long as you have the right reticle...

Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: Deerhunter61] #6745068 04/25/17 03:02 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: RiverRider

True...as long as you have the right reticle...

Both of you are right.

Three main reasons to dial elevation.

1. It's a precise way to change you zero for distance. Holding elevation, tightly, takes practice, but in a day it can become very easy.

2. You get to stay in the center of the lens, where image quality is best.

3. You stay on you windage line. But it's not too hard to hold proper wind, while simultaneously holding an elevation correction, when you're less than 2.0 Mils. Because you're not so far away from your windage line that things get difficult to graph down.

Most hide I shoot, almost weekly lately, has been with holds. Because, simply, I didn't have time to dial. When the coyote or hog is 400+ out, and if I see them before they see me, I'll dial elevation. Back to wanting to be back on my windage line.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: Deerhunter61] #6745133 04/25/17 09:48 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
I agree with the last few responses. Holding inside 350 yards shouldn't be a huge deal. Dialing with accurate turrets is always going to make precision shooting easier. But if you're just looking for kill zone accuracy, I think holdovers with a good reticle and good glass is a fine plan. If you can stay within .1 mils of the correct holdover, you're going to be within 1"-2" of your target at all times at that distance.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide