Forums46
Topics537,979
Posts9,731,302
Members87,052
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: J.G.] #6740061 04/19/17 09:05 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
If you want reliable turrets do not buy Zeiss or Swarovski.

Every NF SHV I've looked through I thought the glass was very nice, and it had not trouble to the end of my range. But the turrets seemed a little mushy.

And what's a "target turret"?

It is Mil or MOA, that's it. And MOA or Mil are equally good at elevation corrections, but Mil shines for wind corrections. And you will most likely get on your second rev with MOA one you start going 600+ yards. Not the case with Mil.

Agreed on Swaro and Zeiss turrets. In my limited experience with scopes that you can "dial the crap out of and never worry about it", a vote for the SWFA SS 3-9x42 HD MilQuad is in order, and the price is right.

IMHO, having the absolute top end optics in a scope is not priority #1, as most any $500+ scope will get you way past legal shooting light. Holding zero, returning to zero, and bulletproof reliability should be the main criteria, along with having a reticle that is usable in low/poor light. FWIW, I have had a Swaro bite the dust myself, in the middle of a hunt.

Last edited by Jgraider; 04/19/17 09:10 PM.
Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: Deerhunter61] #6740076 04/19/17 09:14 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
SWFA just had the 3-15x42 on sale for $399 for tax day. Honestly, that price for that scope is stupid good. But it's probably not at the same optical level as the rest of the stuff being discussed.

Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: patriot07] #6740097 04/19/17 09:33 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: patriot07
SWFA just had the 3-15x42 on sale for $399 for tax day. Honestly, that price for that scope is stupid good. But it's probably not at the same optical level as the rest of the stuff being discussed.

Worth every penny.

I told Skylar they'd have something if they would build a 3-15X with HD glass, and turrets similar to the 5-20 HD. But he doesn't listen to me.

peep

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: J.G.] #6740112 04/19/17 09:41 PM
C
cmorsch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C

Worth every penny.

I told Skylar they'd have something if they would build a 3-15X with HD glass, and turrets similar to the 5-20 HD. But he doesn't listen to me.

peep
And add a zero stop.

Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: Deerhunter61] #6740158 04/19/17 10:29 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Ugh...this certainly has taken a life of its own...not what I was asking and I believe I made myself clear about what is important to me since I'm the one that's going to be using it then and that's all that matters. It's ok that some people disagree but to take over a thread and go on and on and on is simply too much! I think I was pretty clear that I own long range rifles that I have mil/mil scopes on and use them accordingly. I appreciate that some of you guys set all your rifles up the same way for the same type shooting but I don't! And it definitely doesn't inhibit me from achieving what I need to achieve from each rifle that I own!

There are guys on here that overwhelm people with their opinions and act if there is their way and the wrong way.....well I'm here to tell you there is more than one way to do things and I do not appreciate this thread being hijacked.

Last, I do appreciate the help you provided when I was looking to build a custom LR rifle and I took your advice regarding optics for that rifle as well as another LR rifle I own...but again that is not what this thread was about!

Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: Deerhunter61] #6740162 04/19/17 10:34 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
And I KNOW that in order for me to purchase a scope with excellent optics and excellent turrets the cost would run north of $2500.00 and I have no desire to spend that much! Again glass is first for me...turrets are second for this rifle!

Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: Deerhunter61] #6740193 04/19/17 11:07 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I am not inclined to go twisting on turrets, but if I was you can bet I'd be listening to what Chad and JG are saying about what works.

For my own use, if I can get the scope zeroed at the range I want and the scope will hold it, and I can "shoot the square" and come back to the same POI at the conclusion, that's "good" turret performance. What is acceptable to me may be dismal performance to the guys who like to dial in.

Different strokes.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: Deerhunter61] #6740219 04/19/17 11:35 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
And I KNOW that in order for me to purchase a scope with excellent optics and excellent turrets the cost would run north of $2500.00 and I have no desire to spend that much! Again glass is first for me...turrets are second for this rifle!

You asked for help, and you got lots of help. I don't see how the thread was "hijacked". Would you prefer starting a thread, asking for guidance and getting no responses?

And you are very wrong that you have to spend $2500. I shoot from 5 yards to a mile every year, and I don't currently own a rifle scope that costs more than $1300 on the after-market. I know how to make a guy's dollar stretch. And I always try to stay within his budget, which if memory serves you have not mentioned.

I guess no good deed goes unpunished. Maybe I should call Chad and tell him we are not wanted in these types of discussions, despite the fact that between he and I we probably shoot more rifle rounds per year than most people ever will in a lifetime.

Geez.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: Deerhunter61] #6740246 04/20/17 12:01 AM
R
RHutch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
He mentioned his budget in the first post.

It's all about JG.......every time.

Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: RHutch] #6740249 04/20/17 12:03 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: RHutch

Missed the budget.

If that's what you think all you have to do is put me on "ignore". I've got several members in that pool myself.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: J.G.] #6740269 04/20/17 12:29 AM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Missed the budget.

If that's what you think all you have to do is put me on "ignore". I've got several members in that pool myself.

I don't want to ignore you...or Chad! I have the utmost respect for you both!!!! But I don't set up all my rifles to shoot long range and doubt I will set anymore than the two I already have set up that way. Also I definitely won't shoot a game animal at more than 300 yards...perhaps 400 IF I have a solid front and rear base...I CAN'T shoot prone...neck surgery...

And from a hunting perspective Glass is the most important thing. It seems I've read that glass isn't all that important "because" any scope is good enough to take any shot that's required with the light available to us during legal hunting times....this simply IS NOT ACCURATE! If you've ever hunted in ETX in the woods on an overcast day in an AR county there's PLENTY of time where it becomes pretty tough to see and great glass IS a difference maker!

Again I appreciate and understand where you guys stand on scopes! But for this post,,,knowing glass is the most important of the two I was just looking for opinions based on that criteria.

Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: patriot07] #6740273 04/20/17 12:32 AM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G

I believe that one was the SFP, They did have the FFP off the sample list for 509 that I bought. up

Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: Deerhunter61] #6740297 04/20/17 12:49 AM
E
Eyesofahunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
My 2 cents buy swaro glass up to your budget without turrets but with Balistic Plex, based on your description. I run two Z3 on hunting rifles and could not be happier, you want to dial turrets get Nightforce. Have a NSX on a 308 that dials from 100 to 900 multiple times a week for last 7 years and tracking is always the same.

Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: Deerhunter61] #6740383 04/20/17 01:58 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Missed the budget.

I don't want to ignore you...or Chad! I have the utmost respect for you both!!!! But I don't set up all my rifles to shoot long range and doubt I will set anymore than the two I already have set up that way. Also I definitely won't shoot a game animal at more than 300 yards...perhaps 400 IF I have a solid front and rear base...I CAN'T shoot prone...neck surgery...

And from a hunting perspective Glass is the most important thing. It seems I've read that glass isn't all that important "because" any scope is good enough to take any shot that's required with the light available to us during legal hunting times....this simply IS NOT ACCURATE! If you've ever hunted in ETX in the woods on an overcast day in an AR county there's PLENTY of time where it becomes pretty tough to see and great glass IS a difference maker!

Again I appreciate and understand where you guys stand on scopes! But for this post,,,knowing glass is the most important of the two I was just looking for opinions based on that criteria.

I understand the heavy timber, and overcast. I have some of that on my own land. I also have a pretty large expanse of open grass. Same scope for both tasks. I've even used my scopes well past legal light just testing what they could see. All had a quality of glass that made the end of legal light a piece of cake. And I was looking from 10 yards to 200.

But all those scopes also track very well and always return to zero. And I mean a 100 yard zero that will hit a dime.

I've not pushed a particular scope brand, just advised what to stay away from.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: Deerhunter61] #6740416 04/20/17 02:31 AM
D
DStroud Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Be the first kid on the block to try one of these.

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-5hd-riflescopes/vx-5hd-3-15x44mm-cds-zl2/

The newer Leupold has some nice glass and solid although not Nightforce solid in the dialing dept.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: J.G.] #6741018 04/20/17 05:43 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H

You asked for help, and you got lots of help. I don't see how the thread was "hijacked". Would you prefer starting a thread, asking for guidance and getting no responses?

And you are very wrong that you have to spend $2500. I shoot from 5 yards to a mile every year, and I don't currently own a rifle scope that costs more than $1300 on the after-market. I know how to make a guy's dollar stretch. And I always try to stay within his budget, which if memory serves you have not mentioned.

I guess no good deed goes unpunished. Maybe I should call Chad and tell him we are not wanted in these types of discussions, despite the fact that between he and I we probably shoot more rifle rounds per year than most people ever will in a lifetime.

Geez.

Not true Fireman and Chad. I have worked in the shooting industry, mostly hunting rifles and handguns for 30 years and learn from you guys posts every time you are on here. I worked for Swarovski for many years in the 90s and what you say is absolutely true. And they know it. This goes for not only their 1" scopes but also for their 30mm scopes. Never enough travel. The problem is the germans seldom listen to anyone and believe their products are the best.
Keep up the good work guys.

Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: huntwest] #6741503 04/21/17 02:03 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Thank you, sir. cheers

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: huntwest] #6741550 04/21/17 02:49 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: huntwest

Geez.

Not true Fireman and Chad. I have worked in the shooting industry, mostly hunting rifles and handguns for 30 years and learn from you guys posts every time you are on here. I worked for Swarovski for many years in the 90s and what you say is absolutely true. And they know it. This goes for not only their 1" scopes but also for their 30mm scopes. Never enough travel. The problem is the germans seldom listen to anyone and believe their products are the best.
Keep up the good work guys.

Swaro listened with x5 ....115 MOA. It's only been out since 2015......

It's just not a "light optical" product so it exceeds the OP's budget threshold

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: Deerhunter61] #6741582 04/21/17 03:34 AM
S
spg Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
If your priority is glass clarity it sounds like you need to get the Swarovski, you'll be handicapped by unreliable tracking if you plan to shoot long range. My 2cents......I never looked through a NF and said it wasn't clear, maybe the one that mentioned NF clarity is subject need to adjust the focus at the eye piece......Only thing I don't care for in the Vortex are the washer for the stop.....I wish someone would invent technology that omits mirage.....I never took out a tape to measure POI referencing the adjustments made on the turrets, I just want repeatability.....I would recommend sacrificing an acute amount of clarity for reliable tracking just my opinion.

Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: spg] #6741710 04/21/17 12:47 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Mirage is your friend. I depend on mirage, and adjust the focused knob constantly to get a wind reading via mirage. I never shoot with polarized sun glasses on, because it removes mirage. So if you want it to go away, wear good polarized sunglasses.

Oakley "Prizm Shooting" lenses will do that for you. And it's difficult to explain, but they make each varying color stand out more vibrant. I wear them now for everything but shooting long range, because they remove mirage.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: Deerhunter61] #6741867 04/21/17 03:16 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Deerhunter61, I'm not sure who your comment is directed to about going on and on, and going off topic from your question. I feel my write up was very thorough about the issues I have had with certain scopes that are known to have great glass.

Also, if simply want great glass with lots of clarity and light coming into the scope, you need to look at a few things. The higher the magnification is, the lower the light transmission is. So, why look at the 20x plus magnification scopes when needing more light transmission. It's counter intuitive. The only way you get more light is to dial down in power, and the low end magnification is often higher than needed on the big mag scopes. I hunt with a 2x-10x scope, and it stays on about 2x-3x when I'm in the stand. If you are in E. Texas, shots are generally shorter anyway, so why 20x or 25x power for this. It doesn't make sense to me. Most hunter over magnify their scopes anyway. You won't be able to get on target with 14x + mag on an animal moving through your hunting area. I have shot MANY moving coyotes on 2x-3x power, simply because the field of view is large enough to see, acquire and make a shot quickly. You can't do that on high magnification.

Also, look at larger front objective scopes, in the 50mm + sizes. These draw in more light for better clarity.

For your $750 price or less, get a Zeiss Conquest. It has great glass. If you want the "Yeti" of scopes, get a Swarovski Z5 5x-25x for $1300-$1500 price.

I'm out.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: ChadTRG42] #6742279 04/21/17 10:09 PM
S
spg Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Deerhunter61, I'm not sure who your comment is directed to about going on and on, and going off topic from your question. I feel my write up was very thorough about the issues I have had with certain scopes that are known to have great glass.

Also, if simply want great glass with lots of clarity and light coming into the scope, you need to look at a few things. The higher the magnification is, the lower the light transmission is. So, why look at the 20x plus magnification scopes when needing more light transmission. It's counter intuitive. The only way you get more light is to dial down in power, and the low end magnification is often higher than needed on the big mag scopes. I hunt with a 2x-10x scope, and it stays on about 2x-3x when I'm in the stand. If you are in E. Texas, shots are generally shorter anyway, so why 20x or 25x power for this. It doesn't make sense to me. Most hunter over magnify their scopes anyway. You won't be able to get on target with 14x + mag on an animal moving through your hunting area. I have shot MANY moving coyotes on 2x-3x power, simply because the field of view is large enough to see, acquire and make a shot quickly. You can't do that on high magnification.

Also, look at larger front objective scopes, in the 50mm + sizes. These draw in more light for better clarity.

For your $750 price or less, get a Zeiss Conquest. It has great glass. If you want the "Yeti" of scopes, get a Swarovski Z5 5x-25x for $1300-$1500 price.

I'm out.

Sounds like he had his mind made up before posting.

Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: spg] #6743301 04/23/17 01:00 AM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: spg
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

I'm out.

Sounds like he had his mind made up before posting.

Nope, I didn't...but the criteria was....that's all.

I never said I hunt ETX...I simply used it as an example...I have hunted ETX in the deep piney woods and good glass absolutely makes a difference. As for 25X I can always turn it down but if it is mid morning and I wanted more Mag I would have it. Personal preference is all.

Believe me I understand the need for repeatability on long range rifles but that simply wasn't my plan for this rifle.

Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: Deerhunter61] #6743485 04/23/17 06:07 AM
B
bphillips Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Leopold vx6 is a great combination of turrets and glass for a hunting rifle without weighing over 30oz

[Linked Image]
Re: Ranking Scopes based on glass first Turrets second [Re: Deerhunter61] #6743649 04/23/17 03:10 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Guys,

WE have all agreed, I think, that in order to get great consistent turrets and great glass you will need to spend $$$$$. IF you can't afford to pay for both then you have to make a choice and give up, compromise, on one or the other...agreed? I understand that a lot of you shoot LR and you approach your rifle and scope that way for every rifle you own...I respect that! But I do not approach each rifle and scope that way...I approach each one based on the rifle and how I will be using it...AND I would ask that you guys respect that too.

I thought I was pretty clear when I posted this thread that glass was my priority...and then instead of answering the question based on the criteria I presented some tried to sell me the advantages of prioritizing turrets ahead...but that's not what I asked. And now guys take pot shots at me as if, because we simply disagree, I am ignorant. This truly annoys me!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide