Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: tripod for rifle [Re: bdotson] #6708907 03/19/17 01:09 AM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I am using the Manfrotto ball grip head with the Larue adapter. It is designed for a tripod but I use it on a pipe fence solid mount.

https://www.manfrotto.us/grip-ball-head-ergonomic-handle-and-friction-control-wheel

http://www.larue.com/larue-tactical-picatinny-rail-adapter

Make America Great Again

Re: tripod for rifle [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6709308 03/19/17 06:20 PM
MDMORROW Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: MDMORROW
Maybe a stupid question but is there a reason not to use one of the carbon fiber tripods? Seems like the weight savings would be nice.

You every try to glass with an 80mm spotter on a CF tripod with not weights on bottom? It's not a very stable platform. There is a hook on the head extensions on the tripod for a reason. To add more weight.

You could use a carbon fiber tripod with hog saddle or reaper but it's counter productive

Makes good sense. So whats the preferred tripods to use. I know the Reaper Grip folks use the Slik tripods and they look awesome. Is there some reason the Manfrotto is a better tripod or one way or the other. I'm already sold on the Reaper Grip as the head unit.

[Linked Image]
Re: tripod for rifle [Re: bdotson] #6710787 03/21/17 05:15 AM
T
TexasTURhunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T

My daughter just turned 6 and has fired 5 times at 5 live animals. She has 4 animals down and 1 clean miss with 5 shots fired. HOG Saddle is expensive... but it's far cheaper than a gut shot Axis/Fallow/Anything Else.

I've used the HOG saddle, and the less expensive PIG saddle. If you don't desire weight savings... get the PIG saddle. I can't comment on the REAPER (I've never used it).

As far as tripods go... see below...

If you desire to save weight and require a stable shooting platform... I recommend GITZO + Acratech (any other quality ball head would work, but I really like the acratech). I am not at all impressed with the lighter weight tripods from any company except GITZO. Most everyone makes stable 'big tripods,' but GITZO is the only company I found that offers lightweight tripods that I would trust.

If weight savings isn't a priority... Most heavy duty tripods (with multiple leg positions) will be fine. My Vortex Skyline is great. My GITZO mountaineer size 1 is the best of all worlds.

The field pics above are all HOG Saddle + Vortex Skyline + Vortex Fluid head.

The HOG Saddle + Gitzo + Acratech combo is new. It's first trip to the field is this weekend...

Last edited by TexasTURhunter; 03/21/17 12:07 PM.
Re: tripod for rifle [Re: bdotson] #6711831 03/22/17 02:07 PM
MDMORROW Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Whats that Gitzo tripod run? looks like a pretty nice one.

[Linked Image]
Re: tripod for rifle [Re: bdotson] #6712094 03/22/17 06:46 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
The traveler can get up in price. Think 700-800 plus. I came upon one and really like it. It does struggle if you put something heavy being top heavy, but I just hang my bag off the clip in the coloumn and it's fine.

Re: tripod for rifle [Re: MDMORROW] #6712251 03/22/17 10:00 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Maybe a stupid question but is there a reason not to use one of the carbon fiber tripods? Seems like the weight savings would be nice.

You every try to glass with an 80mm spotter on a CF tripod with not weights on bottom? It's not a very stable platform. There is a hook on the head extensions on the tripod for a reason. To add more weight.

You could use a carbon fiber tripod with hog saddle or reaper but it's counter productive

Makes good sense. So whats the preferred tripods to use. I know the Reaper Grip folks use the Slik tripods and they look awesome. Is there some reason the Manfrotto is a better tripod or one way or the other. I'm already sold on the Reaper Grip as the head unit.

Below is silk. I've used manfrotto and vortex. All about same when weights are equal

Tripod get expensive the higher end components that are used like carbon fiber. So price point wise your lower price points tripods will suit you just as well as high end ones. Remember you don't need a head with the reaper so make sure it's not a combo tripod/head unit.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: tripod for rifle [Re: bdotson] #6712266 03/22/17 10:33 PM
MDMORROW Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
nice kit. I'm going to get the same. Is yours the medium or heavy slik?

[Linked Image]
Re: tripod for rifle [Re: bdotson] #6712426 03/23/17 01:22 AM
T
TexasTURhunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
One more thing to consider before choosing a tripod. Look at the 2 different styles of leg locks below...

When the tripod is strapped to your frame pack... The 'lever-style leg locks' (like my Vortex skyline) can open (and allow all 5 ft of one leg to deploy) when walking through thick brush. The tree & brush limbs will pry open the lever lock. This is unbelievably annoying !!!!!!! It happens at least once per day when I'm hunting in the TX hill country and I've not yet become tolerant of it. I still get pissed every time it happens.

I prefer to strap my rifle to the right side of the pack. If you are left handed (and strap the rifle to the left side of the pack) the tripod legs are 'less likely' to deploy if the tripod is 'head-up' and strapped on the right side of the pack.

The GITZO style leg locks are known to lock up (slight rain + freezing temp) and become unusable. I rarely hunt in conditions which would allow this to happen... and I also rarely extend the legs. (I prefer to glass sitting down).

There's no perfect system.

Re: tripod for rifle [Re: bdotson] #6736106 04/16/17 02:48 AM
H
Huckleberry75 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Really Right Stuff tripods are the cats meow, but Lordy Lordy, they are pricey. I have both a pig saddle and a reaper. The reaper get more range time, but I haven't figured out how to remove it from the tripod, so I can mount my spotter when doing load development.

Anyone played with taking a reaper off of the slick tripod?

Are you going to pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?
Re: tripod for rifle [Re: bdotson] #6751249 05/01/17 05:56 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide