Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Choctaw] #6728311 04/07/17 01:46 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Poor judgment isn't confined to AR shooters. Before ARs became popular I'm pretty sure deer were still being wounded and lost by bolt and lever guys, no? The only result this thread will have is the growing animosity some hunters have for the way others choose to hunt.

Certainly. But almost as certainly not like what is more common today with the growing use of the .223 for deer.

I hear your sentiment all the time. It's really just "shut up - live and let live". It's a nice thought, but I'm not going to remain silent with my opinions as both the game itself and the image of hunters as respectful stewards of game suffers. Honest debate and self-policing are hallmarks of any group that seeks to maintain acceptance in society at large. So I won't apologize for it.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6728313 04/07/17 01:50 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
We have a rule on our 100 section mule deer place, as dictated by the landowner....no AR's allowed for deer hunting, period. Not only do I agree with it, I applaud it. Hunter's can play Rambo at the range IMO, or on a varmint hunt.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6728317 04/07/17 01:55 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
NP, have you had your coffee this morning? If so may I recommend decaf? lol

Debate is a great thing and no one is asking you to apologize for speaking your mind. However, I know you don't think a larger caliber rifle makes up for lack of skill/experience/judgment a hunter should possess, do you? That is the point I was trying to make. Oh, I should have added bowhunters to may list in my post above. Dang it. roflmao

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6728323 04/07/17 02:01 PM
R
rex47 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Poor judgment isn't confined to AR shooters. Before ARs became popular I'm pretty sure deer were still being wounded and lost by bolt and lever guys, no? The only result this thread will have is the growing animosity some hunters have for the way others choose to hunt.

Certainly. But almost as certainly not like what is more common today with the growing use of the .223 for deer.

I hear your sentiment all the time. It's really just "shut up - live and let live". It's a nice thought, but I'm not going to remain silent with my opinions as both the game itself and the image of hunters as respectful stewards of game suffers. Honest debate and self-policing are hallmarks of any group that seeks to maintain acceptance in society at large. So I won't apologize for it.

sounds good to me. why should i apologize for what i believe.

when the going gets really tough, I sit down and rest
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Choctaw] #6728329 04/07/17 02:04 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
NP, have you had your coffee this morning? If so may I recommend decaf? lol

Debate is a great thing and no one is asking you to apologize for speaking your mind. However, I know you don't think a larger caliber rifle makes up for lack of skill/experience/judgment a hunter should possess, do you? That is the point I was trying to make. Oh, I should have added bowhunters to may list in my post above. Dang it. roflmao

No, it doesn't.
But the point is this: those that know how to do a job are going to use the proper tool for the job. There are some poor carpenters who have the proper tools, but the carpenters who don't even know what the proper tools are - are almost always poor carpenters.

See the posts on here from ranchers/outfitters.

When the exceptions/outliers to the rule start to be cited as examples, it simply proves the rule.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Jgraider] #6728331 04/07/17 02:04 PM
R
RockinU Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Jgraider
We have a rule on our 100 section mule deer place, as dictated by the landowner....no AR's allowed for deer hunting, period. Not only do I agree with it, I applaud it. Hunter's can play Rambo at the range IMO, or on a varmint hunt.

Using an AR doesn't have to be "playing Rambo", and saying it does shows your thoughts of the rifle. As I said, for me the .223 isn't sufficient for my deer hunting, but that's not a knock on AR's, they are still a useful rifle for other things, and just because they aren't your cup of tea doesn't mean they are somehow "wrong", or just for the tacticool rambos.

There are actually lively debates on some predator forums on whether or not .223 is sufficient for coyotes, with lots of guys swearing off of them because of spinners and runners.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: rex47] #6728338 04/07/17 02:10 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: rex47

sounds good to me. why should i apologize for what i believe.

You don't need to. But you shouldn't insist that others do so either. The debate (with facts) will inform others - who will make their own decisions based on what facts are presented.

And some "facts" are not really facts. Pushing back on those makes me a bad guy to some, but that's the nature of debate. Nothing can make the .223 a good deer round IMO - because it's simply too light a cartridge, and many better options are available. The laws of physics can't be changed.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: RockinU] #6728343 04/07/17 02:14 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: RockinU

Using an AR doesn't have to be "playing Rambo", and saying it does shows your thoughts of the rifle. As I said, for me the .223 isn't sufficient for my deer hunting, but that's not a knock on AR's, they are still a useful rifle for other things, and just because they aren't your cup of tea doesn't mean they are somehow "wrong", or just for the tacticool rambos.

There are actually lively debates on some predator forums on whether or not .223 is sufficient for coyotes, with lots of guys swearing off of them because of spinners and runners.

I'd say it says more about the thoughts about many who insist on using the rifle to deer hunt, not the rifle itself. I know almost no one who has a problem with using a .223 for varmints or even hogs. Varmints are smaller and hogs are hogs - they all need to go.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6728347 04/07/17 02:20 PM
R
rex47 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
I could never make myself believe i needed an ar. i have a 12ga. pump for the house. i have 270,308, 30-30, 444. for deer, elk 22-250 for varmints, 22 for bs
many people like an ar and that is fine

Last edited by rex47; 04/07/17 02:22 PM.

when the going gets really tough, I sit down and rest
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: RockinU] #6728353 04/07/17 02:26 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

Any AR (somehow this became a 223 debate) that shows up at our place throws up a red flag. It is a stereotype that I am hoping wears thin, but I have seen too many hunters useless with one.
Just go to the counter at Bass Pro or Academy and listen to the guys looking for an AR. They are all talking stories of mowing down pigs and deer like they are hunting the Taliban. And who really needs a second shot on a deer? If you do, just jack another shell in the chamber, people think this is not possible with a bolt gun. Heck my daughter has shot at a sounder of pigs so quickly with here 243 bolt gun that those listening from the camp house thought she had a semiauto.
I kill more pigs a year (about 60) with my bolt than the entire lease next to me does with their AR spray-and pray hunters. And boy do they get excited when they finally get one.
Sorry, the stereotype is out there. The black-gun craze has made for a new type of unrealistic hunters.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: rex47] #6728356 04/07/17 02:30 PM
syncerus Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: rex47
I could never make myself believe i needed an ar. i have a 12ga. pump for the house. i have 270,308, 30-30, 444. for deer, elk 22-250 for varmints, 22 for bs
many people like an ar and that is fine

For the record, the AR is easiest rifle on which to mount night vision sights for varmint / hog hunting. This alone gives it a significant advantage over other rifle styles.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6728360 04/07/17 02:33 PM
P
papa45 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
I will admit up front that I am prejudiced against hunting deer with an AR-style rife, especially in .223. My immediate mental image is a Rambo wannabe, not a real hunter. I have seen too many AR-bozos at the public range who scare me. Yes, it is fun to shoot, but I just can't think of it as a serious hunting rifle. I was introduced to the M-16 in Viet Nam, where the practice was spray-and-pray, trying to kill other humans. I can't translate that to one-shot-one-kill hunting. If a guy showed up at my lease with an AR, I would be a little uneasy.

All the excitement over "Modern Sporting Rifles" just turns me cold. It's nothing more than marketing hype to sell more product.

I am encouraged by the many replies I see on this topic. I was beginning to think I was the only person left who was not on the AR bandwagon. Flame me all you like; I won't respond. I'm just telling you how I feel about the subject.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6728361 04/07/17 02:34 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
To each his own. If an outfitter or landowner says no ARs allowed, that is their prerogative. I'm sure they have their reasons, and as a hunter, you can change guns, or look elsewhere. Your prerogative. If you own your own land, or are on a lease where your partners don't care, who am I to judge.

There are benefits to ARs, mainly light and easy to carry. I prefer my other rifles for deer, but certainly not going to fault anyone for choosing differently. Just don't be a knucklehead and spray and pray, or take ill-conceived shots.

And I think many here will agree, as you become a more seasoned hunter, it becomes more evident that there are probably better weapons for the task.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Simple Searcher] #6728363 04/07/17 02:35 PM
syncerus Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
I kill more pigs a year (about 60) with my bolt than the entire lease next to me does with their AR spray-and pray hunters. And boy do they get excited when they finally get one.
Sorry, the stereotype is out there. The black-gun craze has made for a new type of unrealistic hunters.

This is the paradox of hunting with an autoloader of any kind, not just an AR. Autoloaders are unexcelled for controlled shooting of multiple hogs and coyotes, but only an experienced and practiced rifleman is able to use the capability effectively. Because novices and intermediates wish to be perceived as more advanced than they are, they embrace the equipment and trappings of more experienced hunters.

Last edited by syncerus; 04/07/17 02:37 PM. Reason: speling

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: syncerus] #6728365 04/07/17 02:40 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: syncerus

This is the paradox of hunting with an autoloader of any kind, not just an AR. Autoloaders are unexcelled for controlled shooting of multiple hogs and coyotes, but only an experienced and practiced rifleman is able to use the capability effectively. Because novices and intermediates wish to be perceived as more advanced than they are, they embrace the equipment and trappings of more experienced hunters.

Exactly what is happening with the LR craze too. Same phenomenon.

And the animals are ones paying the price for it.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6728367 04/07/17 02:45 PM
syncerus Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Unfortunately, I couldn't agree with you more.

frown

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6728369 04/07/17 02:45 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I will admit to a personal prejudice when I see a guy deer hunting with an AR. My first thought is that the guy probably has no idea what he's doing. I may be wrong in some cases, but of all the experienced deer hunters I personally know, not one uses an AR.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: RockinU] #6728371 04/07/17 02:46 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

I never said they didn't have a place, or weren't useful for other things, or weren't fun to shoot, did I? I said they have no place on our deer leases, and they don't.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6728372 04/07/17 02:47 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Agree 100%

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6728377 04/07/17 02:53 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I've got two ARs. One in .223/5.56 and the other in .308 Win. Both run on hand loads tuned to the rifle, therefore there is a solid chance they can shoot smaller than MOST of what hits the field during any season. But I view them as nothing more than a tool for a job, and a necessary evil. Just the same way I feel about a reciprocating saw. I hate to use it, but sometimes it's the right tool for the job. Force me to pick one platform to use on everything, forever, and it will be a bolt action. And yes, I can cycle and shoot very fast, and also make hits. But when the matter of a full sounder of hogs comes up, I want that LR-308 in my hands, and 20 rounds loaded. That's not what I want when whitetail, mule deer, or elk hunting.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Jgraider] #6728384 04/07/17 02:55 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

I hunt a 106 section mule deer place. Laws should state if you hunt 99 sections or less you are allowed to use a AR but if its over that then no

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6728393 04/07/17 03:07 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: syncerus

Post up the facts that show long range hunters wound more animals than bow hunters. You are very quick to criticize hunters that don't hunt like you do. That's why you are all over this thread as well.

A lot of lumping stereo types all together in this thread. Assuming all ARs that are used for deer hunting are .223, wrong! Your a Rambo hunter if you use one, wrong! I've used one in 308 the last few seasons and it is a fabulous weapon for deer, hogs and anything else it shoots. I will challenge anyone in this thread to a shooting contest with bolt guns, semi, you name the rifle and let's see if I'm playing Rambo.

As a landowner you have the final say period. But I don't know why you wouldn't manage hunters any differently other than have them shoot their rifle and prove they are proficient and safe with it before allowing them to hunt with it. Requiring a minimum caliber to hunt deer with is not unreasonable.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6728395 04/07/17 03:09 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Well stated Marc.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6728401 04/07/17 03:11 PM
E
Eyesofahunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Rifle is not the problem it is the person behind it that creates the issue.

Re: Using AR style guns to hunt deer [Re: JSAPP] #6728403 04/07/17 03:11 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
We don't have mule deer, only whitetails on our 107 section place, and we tend to judge the hunter by their actions, not his/her equipment, rifle, truck, camo pattern, cooler brand preference, etc...

I prefer my bolt guns for accuracy, but I had a PSG-1 that was plenty accurate, and our Sig 716 is plenty accurate for deer, and is also easily suppressed, optics changed, and offers very little recoil, which often makes for better shooting in the first place.

I'd rather have a competent hunting partner using a .223, than most that show up with the 300+P++P Rigby AI Express Superduper Magnum.

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide