Print Thread
Moose Outfitter Recommendations Needed #6725821 04/05/17 12:10 PM
K
Kung Fu Widgeon Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
K
I'm looking to go to Canada or Alaska in 2019. Anybody have good recommendations on outfitters. I would like info on where they hunt, what you harvested, cost, accommodations, assistance in traveling with weapons, etc. This would be my first out of the lower 48 hunt.

Re: Moose Outfitter Recommendations Needed [Re: Kung Fu Widgeon] #6725826 04/05/17 12:17 PM
R
rex47 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
look at ihuntcanada and go from there

when the going gets really tough, I sit down and rest
Re: Moose Outfitter Recommendations Needed [Re: Kung Fu Widgeon] #6725835 04/05/17 12:23 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I wanna go. rifle

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Moose Outfitter Recommendations Needed [Re: Kung Fu Widgeon] #6725837 04/05/17 12:25 PM
K
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
K
You're welcome to come along JG

Re: Moose Outfitter Recommendations Needed [Re: Kung Fu Widgeon] #6726012 04/05/17 02:48 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Probably the number one hunt on my bucket list. I've been to AK two times now and is the most amazing place I've ever been. That's just for vacation as well, hunting there would be awesome.

Re: Moose Outfitter Recommendations Needed [Re: Kung Fu Widgeon] #6726059 04/05/17 03:19 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
I lost out on a moose hunt that fell apart in 1990. Sure regret it. It was a fly in to Canada, puddle jumper, out of Minnesota for two weeks.

Re: Moose Outfitter Recommendations Needed [Re: Kung Fu Widgeon] #6726713 04/06/17 12:38 AM
A
AZ_Hunter_2000 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
Which type of moose are you wanting to hunt? There are three species: Yukon, Shiras, and Canada.

I hunted in southern Alberta last year for mule deer and whitetail. The ranch I was on has huge Shiras moose. One hunter in camp got one over 50" wide; saw plenty much larger than that while I was hunting my deer.

I hunted with Anchor Bar Expeditions. Mark and his guides are top notch. They recently took over a section up in the Yukon. Their web site is: http://www.anchorbaroutfitting.com/alberta.html

I'd also take a look at Cabelas Outdoor Adventures (http://worldwidetrophyadventures.com). It is a pretty good starting point as far as pricing, what to bring, activity level, etc.

Traveling with a firearm is straightforward. You will need a form 4457 which is simple to get. Your firearm will need to be in a secured container (ex: Pelican). Adhere to the rules for the airline you will be flying on. Securely store your ammo in a case OTHER than your firearm. Print out the rules of the airlines, TSA, and Canadian government. Do NOT use TSA-approved locks.

I really enjoyed Alberta and want to go back. There is great hunting up in Canada. The animals seem tougher than the ones in the lower 48.

Re: Moose Outfitter Recommendations Needed [Re: Kung Fu Widgeon] #6727094 04/06/17 01:14 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Your budget is key.

Big budget? Go to the Yukon with an outfitter like Tim Mervyn, Blackstone, etc. (or Shockey if you really want to lay out $$$) and enjoy untouched wilderness. There is really no bad outfitter I am aware of in the Yukon. Combine it with other animals and make it an expedition hunt. I saw moose every day on my Yukon sheep hunt.
Little less? Alaska.
Little less? BC for big Canada moose.
Even less? Newfoundland. At around 4-6K, I think it's the best hunting bargain out there. The moose aren't huge, but (like any moose) are nothing to sneeze at.

A little research will turn up great outfitters for all the above.

Be careful on BC/Alberta/Manitoba outfitters for Shiras moose. Both the moose and the outfitters are hit and miss depending on the location, etc. Much homework needs to be done there. (BTW, B&C will not recognize any moose taken in CA or out east (Maine, VT, NH) as a Shiras - if that matters to you at all.)

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Moose Outfitter Recommendations Needed [Re: Kung Fu Widgeon] #6727253 04/06/17 03:05 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I have not hunted moose but I hunted black bear with my dad and my daughter in BC near Hudsons Hope. You fly into Ft. Saint John. Good trip and after seeing how Steve handled hunting with my daughter and how many bear and moose we saw in that beautiful country I would go back again for bear and moose in this area.

http://m.bullheadmtnoutfitting.ca/

You may also take a look into this outfitter.
http://www.horseshoecreekoutfitters.com/
He has the area next to Steve and they both hunt near/in that area.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Moose Outfitter Recommendations Needed [Re: Kung Fu Widgeon] #6727275 04/06/17 03:19 PM
W
WBT Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
NP is right, it's all about your budget. I hunted moose in Alaska last year and wouldn't hesitate to go back for another one. I've hunted in Alaska and BC several times and what always surprises me, is that the game densities are much, much lower than Texas. I was lucky to see one or two moose a day in Alaska. And I'm told that's a lot. On the plus side, every bull but one was 60"+.

Re: Moose Outfitter Recommendations Needed [Re: Kung Fu Widgeon] #6727383 04/06/17 04:53 PM
K
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
K
WBT, would you mind commenting on total cost of those hunts from the time you left the house to the time you got back? I know there are a lot of variables but I want a ballpark number. I know what a Newfoundland hunt would cost but now CA or AK

Re: Moose Outfitter Recommendations Needed [Re: Kung Fu Widgeon] #6727442 04/06/17 05:59 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Very broad?

Start at 25K "all in" for the Yukon hunt and work down the ladder in 5-7K increments on the others.

AK can be done much cheaper DIY/drop hunt but really need to know what you're doing there.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Moose Outfitter Recommendations Needed [Re: Kung Fu Widgeon] #6727450 04/06/17 06:05 PM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Buddy of mine checked on hunt with Shockey in Yukon 5 years ago for he and his wife and was quoted $60,000 rifle

Re: Moose Outfitter Recommendations Needed [Re: Kung Fu Widgeon] #6727455 04/06/17 06:06 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Kung Fu Widgeon
WBT, would you mind commenting on total cost of those hunts from the time you left the house to the time you got back? I know there are a lot of variables but I want a ballpark number. I know what a Newfoundland hunt would cost but now CA or AK

Buddy killed a B&C moose in northern Alberta last year, I was going to go this year but pretty big celebrity in camp so changed my mind and going next year. It's under 10k

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Moose Outfitter Recommendations Needed [Re: bp3] #6727461 04/06/17 06:15 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: bp3
Buddy of mine checked on hunt with Shockey in Yukon 5 years ago for he and his wife and was quoted $60,000 rifle

His celebrity factor working there, though for 2 moose it's not absolutely nuts....

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 04/06/17 06:16 PM.

Re: Moose Outfitter Recommendations Needed [Re: Kung Fu Widgeon] #6727491 04/06/17 06:40 PM
W
WBT Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W

I hunted moose with Phil Shoemaker in the Becharof National Wilderness Refuge last fall. As I recall, the hunt with Phil was around $16K. Then on top of that, you have airfare from DFW to Anchorage to King Salmon. That was about $1K or so. Then you fly in a Cessna to Phil's home and then on yet another, smaller aircraft out to the hunting area. The cost of those flights was included in the hunting fees. Phil skinned the moose and prepared the antlers for me, but it was necessary for me to have a taxidermist in Anchorage fully flesh the hide, salt it and then mail it to my taxidermist in Texas. That added $750 or so and was optional. I probably could have figured out a way to take the hide and antlers with me on the plane home.

I also looked at trips in the Yukon. The bonus there is that you can add on additional animals such as goats or mountain caribou. The downside is that you're looking at $20-25K in fees to the outfitter. And on top of that, you have airfare to Whitehorse and then another flight out into the bush. Those flights will probably add $3K to the total.

My only personal experience moose hunting has been in Alaska. The hunts in BC were for goats. I ended up with a 63" moose on day four of a ten day hunt. There are bigger ones out there. Phil's exclusive guiding area is one million square miles and he only took three hunters out last year. His primary focus is brown bears, but there are some good moose around. I spent a lot of time researching hunting areas before I landed on Phil. It's expensive, but I recognized this was probably a once in a lifetime hunt and I wanted to go somewhere that offered a shot at a real giant. I think dollar for dollar Alaska offers the best chance at that opportunity.

I had the opportunity to talk to several other moose hunters when I was at the airport in King Salmon waiting to fly back to Anchorage. One guy got a 73" moose. That was the biggest of the bunch.

Re: Moose Outfitter Recommendations Needed [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6727830 04/07/17 12:08 AM
K
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Buddy killed a B&C moose in northern Alberta last year, I was going to go this year but pretty big celebrity in camp so changed my mind and going next year. It's under 10k

Maybe I should just go with the outfitters you use BOBO. Worked out for me with my mule deer in Colorado.

Re: Moose Outfitter Recommendations Needed [Re: Kung Fu Widgeon] #6727934 04/07/17 01:48 AM
W
WBT Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
You may want to look at Maine. It's a draw, but you can buy a lot of chances and get to a point where you're likely to draw. Maine manages its moose consertatively and 50" isn't unreasonable. Alberta can be good too, but you have to be really careful where you go. Conduct lots of research and talk to people that have recently hunted with the outfitters you're looking at.

Re: Moose Outfitter Recommendations Needed [Re: Kung Fu Widgeon] #6728054 04/07/17 03:01 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Maybe I should just go with the outfitters you use BOBO. Worked out for me with my mule deer in Colorado.

grin smart move

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Moose Outfitter Recommendations Needed [Re: Kung Fu Widgeon] #6730096 04/09/17 06:39 PM
P
Pierce Trophy Hunts Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
I'm booked for a Moose hunt this Sept in Northern BC near Fort Nelson. Place is about 80 air miles from Yukon border so the opportunity in that region is really good for a very large Canada Moose with some Yukon influence. Will let anyone interested know how it goes. Going with Todd Bunnage. He's been hunting Alberta for years and just started this operation in BC of about 1 million acres. Sounds good, but we'll know for sure before too long. Will have tags for Moose, Bear, Elk, and wolf.

Re: Moose Outfitter Recommendations Needed [Re: Kung Fu Widgeon] #6732296 04/12/17 12:25 AM
S
skeeter22 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
http://www.olmsteadhunting.com/

I hunted with this outfit in 2004. It was an awesome hunt. Took a 52" moose, a 6x6 bull elk and a wolf. The country is stunning and full of game. We also saw mountain caribou, grizzlies, mule deer and stone sheep.

Re: Moose Outfitter Recommendations Needed [Re: Kung Fu Widgeon] #6744335 04/24/17 01:05 PM
B
Bengoin Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I have a 2018 Alaskan DIY moose/caribou hunt scheduled. It takes a ton of planning on logistics and gear so definitely start a year or two in advance. What I have found on all the different forums were that most guys will point you a direction that's usually good but all are tight lipped about exactly where to hunt. Hiring a guide has clear benefits but I couldn't afford the difference in price. We have everything booked and it looks like our cost will be $7k each. That includes standard cost on flights from dfw to Fairbanks, car rental, bush flights, permits, license, lodging before and after flights, and meat packaging/ antler transports. This does not include all the gear you will need to be prepared for this kind of a trip. Gear cost could be infinite depending on your taste but I spent around $3.5k.

There are things you can do to save cost but I didn't really include them in my budget. Get you an Alaska Airlines Credit card and use it to build up points/miles and you get a companion ticket for free and your hunting partner can use it. Rent a uhaul instead of a car. Hire a local to supply your camp gear (tents, kitchen, cots etc)and you will save a ton on flight cost as well.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide