Re: Not using a lead sled? [Re: Texas Dan] #6717739 03/28/17 10:42 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
I very seriously doubt a bullet leaves a rifle so slow that changing the distance it travels during recoil will impact POI. Common sense says it's left the muzzle well before the first instance of recoil.

You would be wrong. I've seen the opposite many times.

Do the math.

Recoil is the inertia we feel long after the bullet has left the muzzle.

I try to get all my customers to work their way to witnessing their own hit, or miss. The closer in the shot distance, the more difficult that is to achieve. When they are not witnessing impact, even as far out as 600 yards (flight time) often the problem is no follow through on the trigger, they slap the trigger. And often some misses are caused by the same thing, slapping the trigger. So they moved the rifle, while the bullet was still in the barrel.

Do the math, if you like. I know what I've seen from hundreds of rifle shooters.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Not using a lead sled? [Re: hookemhorns] #6717740 03/28/17 10:44 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: hookemhorns
The only difference was the sled. I never knew why and then next several times I shot it was without the sled and everything was fine.
I dont know if that was the only issue, but I now believe it was.

This assumes all your shooting mechanics are exactly the same with and without the sled, correct?

Just consider the manner in which the sled changes the way you shoulder the rifle, not to mention changes in the rifle's length of pull before you answer.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Not using a lead sled? [Re: Texas Dan] #6717755 03/28/17 10:59 PM
T
TDK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I very seriously doubt a bullet leaves a rifle so slow that changing the distance it travels during recoil will impact POI. Common sense says it's left the muzzle well before the first instance of recoil.

Do the math.

Recoil is the inertia we feel long after the bullet has left the muzzle.

Come to me after youve regulated a couple dozen double rifles! Recoil starts before the bullet leaves.

Last edited by TDK; 03/28/17 11:02 PM.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
Re: Not using a lead sled? [Re: Aggieman775] #6717756 03/28/17 10:59 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Add a sled and you for all practical purposes, create a different shooter.

Some may find this discussion helpful.

Link

Re: Not using a lead sled? [Re: colt45-90] #6717785 03/28/17 11:36 PM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: colt45
I made the correction to my previous post, I am using a Caldwell fire control,it has the adjustment to elevate the gun to be exactly like shooting from shoulder. when I switch to sand bags or bipod no difference and there is no way it can be detrimental on stock or scope..period

I use a fire control rest too and have the same results you do.

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: Not using a lead sled? [Re: J.G.] #6717844 03/29/17 12:22 AM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C

you betcha red rider, that 100% agreement

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Not using a lead sled? [Re: colt45-90] #6717900 03/29/17 12:58 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by colt45
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

you betcha red rider, that 100% agreement

The power of the net.

Watch these very high speed video segments of both rifles and firearms being fired and let's then continue the discussion.

Re: Not using a lead sled? [Re: Aggieman775] #6717923 03/29/17 01:18 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
For those looking for a more scientific discussion.

As for the math, mass and inertia cannot be ignored.

Link

Re: Not using a lead sled? [Re: J.G.] #6717926 03/29/17 01:20 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H

Very wrong. Recoil starts the micro second that the bullet starts to move down the barrel.
Also if you shoot a wood stock it will eventually mess it up.
At Weatherby virtually every broken wood stock, usually the grip, we get sent in has been shot off a lead sled.
Also it will eventually wear the action screw holes and then the rifle will not shoot for didly.

Last edited by huntwest; 03/29/17 01:22 AM.
Re: Not using a lead sled? [Re: Aggieman775] #6717927 03/29/17 01:20 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
The movement is small, but it's there.

The fastest bullet cannot outrun physics. Any force pushing the bullet out of the bore is pushing back on the rifle, and at the same time. To deny that is to deny the basic laws of physics.

Re: Not using a lead sled? [Re: Texas Dan] #6717931 03/29/17 01:25 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
All I'm seeing in the video is what I expected, the recoil starts the moment the bullet starts to move. Kind of tough to defy physics.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Not using a lead sled? [Re: Texas Dan] #6717933 03/29/17 01:26 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Link

The general consensus there is that recoil begins before the bullet leaves the bore, but it isn't in full force yet. Essentially, you've contradicted yourself.

I don't understand spending all of this time, energy, and money chasing accuracy then taking chances with inconsistency that a lead sled is likely to introduce.

Re: Not using a lead sled? [Re: Texas Dan] #6718000 03/29/17 02:13 AM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Had a rifle last year that changed POI over 6" at 85 yards from a sled to my shoulder. Quit using them after that.

The same result can be seen between two people shooting the same rifle and ammo. That's because each shooter has slightly different mechanics when aiming and pulling the trigger.

I suspect those of you who are getting vastly different POI's have mechanics that are being removed or controlled by the sled. I very seriously doubt a bullet leaves a rifle so slow that changing the distance it travels during recoil will impact POI. Common sense says it's left the muzzle well before the first instance of recoil. Heck, it's already hit the target before the butt plate begins to sink very deep into your shoulder.

My bet is the sled is telling on you.

In my case the sled was putting a ton of pressure on the stock, and it was in turn putting pressure on the barrel I believe.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Not using a lead sled? [Re: Sneaky] #6718011 03/29/17 02:16 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

Link

The general consensus there is that recoil begins before the bullet leaves the bore, but it isn't in full force yet. Essentially, you've contradicted yourself.

I don't understand spending all of this time, energy, and money chasing accuracy then taking chances with inconsistency that a lead sled is likely to introduce.

What Sneaky said.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Not using a lead sled? [Re: J.G.] #6718015 03/29/17 02:18 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler

Very wrong bang

[Linked Image]
Re: Not using a lead sled? [Re: Sneaky] #6718042 03/29/17 02:35 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

Agreed, recoil begins as soon as exploding gases begin to accelerate the bullet. However, the question remains when and how quickly the recoil causes the barrel to move upward to change the POI.

The videos shared earlier appear to show that recoil impacts rifles and handguns differently, with semi handguns seeing less upward motion than revolvers, and heavier semi rifles seeing even less than semi handguns. This makes complete sense when you consider the action of the semi begins to absorb recoil before it reaches the shooter, and the semi rifle having much greater mass than the handgun.

The original post brought into question how a rifle reacts differently in a lead sled that could create a change in the POI. The video clearly shows that while recoils begins immediately in both the handgun and rifle, the heavier mass of the rifle creates a much slower and lengthy recoil.

So then, does a lead sled cause a rifle to kick up more quickly so that the bullet has not yet cleared the muzzle? In the case of a semi, I would say never. As for bolt actions and single shots, it might with the larger bore guns.

Re: Not using a lead sled? [Re: Aggieman775] #6718060 03/29/17 02:58 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I don't even know what you're talking about anymore, Dan. Maybe it's me, but you've lost me.

Re: Not using a lead sled? [Re: Aggieman775] #6718072 03/29/17 03:08 AM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Regardless of technicalities, it's clear that a significant minority of lead sled users have experienced a POI shift when no longer using the device. For whatever reason, which could be anything, even psychological, it's a real phenomenon.

If you chose to use a sled, without fail fire a couple of verification shots without the device, if only for your own peace of mind.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Not using a lead sled? [Re: syncerus] #6718094 03/29/17 03:26 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: syncerus
Regardless of technicalities, it's clear that a significant minority of lead sled users have experienced a POI shift when no longer using the device. For whatever reason, which could be anything, even psychological, it's a real phenomenon.

If you chose to use a sled, without fail fire a couple of verification shots without the device, if only for your own peace of mind.

I've never used them much, because the most experienced shooters I know despise them, and their reasons are sound. The one time I did use one, a friend was shooting off of it and getting inconsistent results. I tried it, suspected the sled was to blame, and slid it out of the way. Problem was gone. Gun would shoot. Never touched one again.

If you'll notice, two of our most experienced shooters on this forum don't recommend them. That's not to say that those that do use them are inexperienced. It's just that I know that these two are, and more importantly, they are experienced long range shooters. Extended ranges reveal so much more than the standard ranges will. Precision rifles will reveal more at any range than rifles of standard accuracy. I would guess that a vast majority of sled users that see no difference just aren't picking up on slight differences. And, maybe those differences aren't significant enough to impact the shooting that they do.

For me, there is no benefit to them and plenty of drawbacks. I can't trust them to shoot the same point of impact. I can't trust them to leave my equipment undamaged. And I deprive myself of valuable shooting experience that can only be obtained with a stock jammed up into my shoulder. If I'm spending the time and money to shoot, then I want the most out of it. We don't all align the same way, though. If it works, it works.

Re: Not using a lead sled? [Re: Aggieman775] #6718156 03/29/17 04:35 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Easy test for this is with a handgun. Even at short range say 15 yards it is easy to see. Try a 9mm handgun with 115 gr bullets and 147gr bullets will be slower than the 115 but will impact higher on the target than the faster 115gr bullets which are faster and have less time and mass for gravity to pull them down so gravity and TOF would not explain it.

The reason the slower bullet with heavier recoil will hit higher is that it is in the barrel longer and that longer time has allowed the muzzle to rise slightly more due to recoil and recoil is also higher with the heavier bullet lifting the barrel even more from the extra recoil.

In rifles it works the same way but is real easy to demonstrate with handguns and is why in some handguns such as TC Contenders with sights if you look through the barrel and where the sights are aligned they will not be to the same point at the sighted in distance. Chose the TC since it is very easy to see on it especially with a heavier recoiling caliber.

It is not just shooting from lead sleds that POI will change from the impulse of recoil while the bullet is still in the barrel.

Try this sometime, take an accurate rifle on sandbags or the lead sled or what ever you shoot best from. shoot a nice small group say with the lead sled without touching the scope, then shoot one with a little downward pressure on the scope at the caps, the second group will be lower than the first because the rifle didn't recoil the same while the bullet was in the barrel.

Those are just a couple easy things to do and change of impact can easily be seem, there are many more.

TDK that example of regulating double rifles is a good one, and people wonder why a great shooting double rifle costs so much have no real idea.

Last edited by kmon1; 03/29/17 04:45 AM.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Not using a lead sled? [Re: Aggieman775] #6718165 03/29/17 04:51 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
As far as lead sleds and shooting, I will not use one as I prefer to shoot more like I will hunting. I do know those that use them for load development taking more of the shooter equation out of the link as much as they can, much like shooting a handgun from a Ransom rest for checking ability of the equipment more. I personally like walnut and blued steel and do not want to subject my rifles to the extra punishment.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Not using a lead sled? [Re: Aggieman775] #6718248 03/29/17 11:31 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Perhaps the question could be easily answered by using two different size weights on a lead sled to see if there is a difference in the POI between the two. Or better yet, compare the results between a weighted and unweighted lead sled. Assuming the same person fires both shots, the only difference between the two would be the weight and mass of the resistance to the recoil. Trying the same test without a lead sled and with two different sized shooters would add more variables.

Re: Not using a lead sled? [Re: Texas Dan] #6718285 03/29/17 12:28 PM
A
Aggieman775 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
Perhaps the question could be easily answered by using two different size weights on a lead sled to see if there is a difference in the POI between the two. Or better yet, compare the results between weighted and unweighted lead sleds. Assuming the same person fires both shots, the only difference between the two would be the weight and mass of the resistance to the recoil. Trying the same test without a lead sled and with two different sized shooters would add more variables.

Could be something to try. We have 2 25lbs plates holding ours down

Last edited by Aggieman775; 03/29/17 12:30 PM.

TSmith
Re: Not using a lead sled? [Re: Aggieman775] #6718334 03/29/17 01:15 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I don't see the use for them.

If you can't shoot steady enough from a bipod and sandbag you need to spend more time at the range or go to a shooting class like FiremanJG offers.

There will eventually come a time if you hunt long enough that your scope will fail or get damaged in the field when your hunting many hours away from home. This happened to me one season. I had to drive into Lubbock to academy that evening and purchase another scope.

I had to get up and wait to first light and shoot in the rifle. I used a sack of corn in the prone position to sight it in. The next morning I shot a 178" Mulie on a spot and stalk at 185 yards. I still have that scope on that rifle sighted in from that morning using the bag of corn.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Not using a lead sled? [Re: Aggieman775] #6718388 03/29/17 02:04 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
popcorn IMHO Lead Sled (or similar) will help verify the precision of the rifle but does nothing to verify the accuracy of the shooter. It does, however, increase some confidence in the shooter by removing some of the variables introduced when shooting offhand. In short, the shooter knows the rifle works so he/she knows what to work on. Even when I've shot off a sled (or bags) I've always picked up the firearm and shot it offhand, standing, sitting, and/or using a tree for a rest.

Precision - putting all the shots in one group
Accuracy - putting all the shots in the group at the place you have selected.

2cents

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide