Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6714243 03/24/17 07:06 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
You may like his politics/policies and that's fine.

But anybody that follows him for 10 minutes knows he's dumb as a box of rocks.

But, hey, that's "in" these days. Even smart people are acting dumb so they can get elected/keep their seats.

Actually known him for a very long time. Dumb as a box of rocks isn't what I would describe a self made multi millionaire, that isn't even taking in to account what he has done for Texas Ag.

Like I said earlier let's see some of the hard facts posted from the actual Warfarin hog study. So far it's a bunch of perceived ideas.. not facts. Just like posted above...40hour half life but needs to build up over time...to actually l kill a hog... via that info damn near needs to be a feedlot scenario

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6714761 03/25/17 02:06 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: therancher] #6714762 03/25/17 02:08 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6714789 03/25/17 02:54 PM
505ed Offline
Tracker
Tracker

But, hey, that's "in" these days. Even smart people are acting dumb so they can get elected/keep their seats. [/quote]

Actually known him for a very long time. Dumb as a box of rocks isn't what I would describe a self made multi millionaire, that isn't even taking in to account what he has done for Texas Ag.

Like I said earlier let's see some of the hard facts posted from the actual Warfarin hog study. So far it's a bunch of perceived ideas.. not facts. Just like posted above...40hour half life but needs to build up over time...to actually l kill a hog... via that info damn near needs to be a feedlot scenario [/quote]
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
You may like his politics/policies and that's fine.

But, hey, that's "in" these days. Even smart people are acting dumb so they can get elected/keep their seats.

Like I said earlier let's see some of the hard facts posted from the actual Warfarin hog study. So far it's a bunch of perceived ideas.. not facts. Just like posted above...40hour half life but needs to build up over time...to actually l kill a hog... via that info damn near needs to be a feedlot scenario

Well, don't want to get into policies and politics either...I have been around AG all my life, I was raised on a farm and ranch..I have know the last 4 AG commissioners...I have not been impressed this Mr Miller. He might be a multi millionaire, good for him...but don't know if he is quite in tune with the Agriculturist of today...I posted this on another topic, and rather than re type it..I'll copy and paste.

I have been in the pesticide development biz for 20+years.I have worked with warfarin based multi-feed baits for rodent control--and also a lot of other compounds for control.I also own with my brother about 4400 ac we inherited, that he makes a living on that has hogs. That bait is not the solution, it will have palatability problems, and the nature of the bait, the consumption it takes will make it pretty expensive to control--if you have a significant number of hogs(and they eat it--or should say if) problem is food is a choice..and if the other choice is better, the bait does not get consumed. I could go into baits, compounds that might work better--but I'm typing on an IPad and don't feel like it..I guess the one thing I did like what happened, is Sid Miller was shut down...he might be the worst Guy we have had in there for sometime...makes Rick Perry look like a Rhodes scholar.

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: mattyg06] #6714922 03/25/17 07:20 PM
S
Someone Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted By: mattyg06
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: DH3
I think that there is an overreaction to the poison being used. The concentration of Wafarin (The Poison) is so minute that it does not effect any other animal..just hogs.

It's Warfarin?

An anticoagulant prescribed to atrial fibrillation patients. I wonder what that does to the hogs? Hogs anatomy and physiology is not far off from humans. Are we giving them an anticoagulant to prevent clotting after having been shot, or is shooting not needed?

Interesting.

Yes it is Warfarin. No, a shot is not needed. Repeated doses build up in the hogs system which induces spontaneous internal bleeding and they eventually bleed to death. Can take repeated feeding and up to a month to kill a hog.

it comes from the chemical that gives the "fresh cut grass" smell and it is a common rat poison and for rats it mainly works because they will eat a bunch of rough stuff that scratches up their insides and normally their internals handle that fine, but with the poison they bleed out

with what wild hogs eat I imagine they have a similar issue

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6715239 03/26/17 04:41 AM
J
Jbell99 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
I'm not a farmer but this is the way I see it just like when I use rat poison or traps I pick them up and dispose of them and I think farmers should use poison to help get rid of all the hogs but I think they should be put in auburn pile or disposed of safely where other animals can't scavage them
Plus imagine getting to smell bacon everyday!
Also tell neighbors who do hunt personally enjoy eating wild hog but wouldn't want to eat one that's been poisoned

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: Jbell99] #6715371 03/26/17 02:56 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Jbell99
I'm not a farmer but this is the way I see it just like when I use rat poison or traps I pick them up and dispose of them and I think farmers should use poison to help get rid of all the hogs but I think they should be put in auburn pile or disposed of safely where other animals can't scavage them
Also tell neighbors who do hunt personally enjoy eating wild hog but wouldn't want to eat one that's been poisoned

I don't think burning it is a good idea. Not sure what the resulting combustion compounds are, but breathing it doesn't sound ideal to me.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: 505ed] #6715392 03/26/17 03:34 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: 505ed

Well, don't want to get into policies and politics either...I have been around AG all my life, I was raised on a farm and ranch..I have know the last 4 AG commissioners...I have not been impressed this Mr Miller. He might be a multi millionaire, good for him...but don't know if he is quite in tune
I have been in the pesticide development biz for 20+years.I have worked with warfarin based multi-feed baits for rodent control--and also a lot of other compounds for control.I also own with my brother about 4400 ac we inherited, that he makes a living on that has hogs. That bait is not the solution, it will have palatability problems, and the nature of the bait, the consumption it takes will make it pretty expensive to control--if you have a significant number of hogs(and they eat it--or should say if) problem is food is a choice..and if the other choice is better, the bait does not get consumed. I could go into baits, compounds that might work better--but I'm typing on an IPad and don't feel like it..I guess the one thing I did like what happened, is Sid Miller was shut down...he might be the worst Guy we have had in there for sometime...makes Rick Perry look like a Rhodes scholar.

Raised in Ag and own a nice chunk of ground also, I have also been around a lot of the various state and federal AG secs which include some of my own family members... and I like Sid. Like I said earlier the feeding mechanism of it is a joke.

My biggest complaint is alot of opposition with zero facts. Just speculation one way or the other for either side.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: Someone] #6715410 03/26/17 03:57 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Someone
Originally Posted By: mattyg06
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: DH3
I think that there is an overreaction to the poison being used. The concentration of Wafarin (The Poison) is so minute that it does not effect any other animal..just hogs.

It's Warfarin?

An anticoagulant prescribed to atrial fibrillation patients. I wonder what that does to the hogs? Hogs anatomy and physiology is not far off from humans. Are we giving them an anticoagulant to prevent clotting after having been shot, or is shooting not needed?

Interesting.

Yes it is Warfarin. No, a shot is not needed. Repeated doses build up in the hogs system which induces spontaneous internal bleeding and they eventually bleed to death. Can take repeated feeding and up to a month to kill a hog.

it comes from the chemical that gives the "fresh cut grass" smell and it is a common rat poison and for rats it mainly works because they will eat a bunch of rough stuff that scratches up their insides and normally their internals handle that fine, but with the poison they bleed out

with what wild hogs eat I imagine they have a similar issue

Thank you for the physiological explanation. up

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6715480 03/26/17 05:48 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: 505ed

Well, don't want to get into policies and politics either...I have been around AG all my life, I was raised on a farm and ranch..I have know the last 4 AG commissioners...I have not been impressed this Mr Miller. He might be a multi millionaire, good for him...but don't know if he is quite in tune

Raised in Ag and own a nice chunk of ground also, I have also been around a lot of the various state and federal AG secs which include some of my own family members... and I like Sid. Like I said earlier the feeding mechanism of it is a joke.

My biggest complaint is alot of opposition with zero facts. Just speculation one way or the other for either side.

My biggest complaint is the decision was made by one man who didn't think a dam thing through. HE has no facts, just speculation. And he just authorized poisoning a food source based on pure speculation.

Now, you and others can think that's logical, but it don't make it so.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: therancher] #6715531 03/26/17 06:58 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I don't think it's logical or illogical because I have yet to see any REAL data. Just speculation.

I'm not biting one way or the other until then. In the mean time I don't have many prairie dogs any more.... still have buzzards and hawks though. wink

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6715572 03/26/17 07:37 PM
K
Kingsview Safaris Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Yes sir we derive 100% of our livelihood from the land. Farming every day.
But oh boy you should try farming when you have Baboons!! realmad
And Bushpig realmad
And Leopard realmad
And Jackal realmad
And Caracal realmad
...I think you get the point.

Jono and Justine McHugh
Eastern Cape, South Africa
www.kingsviewsafaris.co.za
Listen to our Podcast: Round The Fire With Kingsview Safaris
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: Jbell99] #6715630 03/26/17 09:22 PM
R
RockinU Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Jbell99

So how much time every day do you think a farmer who would use this poison should spend searching his property for dead hogs? What about hogs that make it off his property? Are the hogs all supposed to drop dead near roads and such so that they can be easily accessed for disposal? From reading your post, I'm thinking not only are you not a farmer, but you have no experience around a ranch or farm, or with finding dead animals.

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6715715 03/26/17 10:59 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline OP
Texas colt45
OP Offline
Texas colt45
C
I don't think it's logical or illogical because I have yet to see any REAL data. Just speculation.

I'm not biting one way or the other until then. In the mean time I don't have many prairie dogs any more.... still have buzzards and hawks though. wink

curious as to how the poison wood affect buzzards which have a bacteria that its okay for them to eat anthrax animals

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6715725 03/26/17 11:06 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Yes. You'll have migratory birds even when you poison them...

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6715770 03/26/17 11:49 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
This is getting to sound like the program a while back about dropping baits to try to control rabies. If you want to control something get rid of the carriers. But no, you might kill something else. Typical gov. and bleeding heart whatever.

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: don k] #6715825 03/27/17 12:29 AM
R
RockinU Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: don k
This is getting to sound like the program a while back about dropping baits to try to control rabies. If you want to control something get rid of the carriers. But no, you might kill something else. Typical gov. and bleeding heart whatever.

I'm not sure I understand the comparison. You are advocating getting rid of rabies carriers (most small mammals?), and having concerns over introducing poison into our ecosystem without understanding the mechanics of the whole thing is being a bleeding heart?

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6715833 03/27/17 12:36 AM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I'm against the Kaput/warfarin poison/bait, too much input & hassle for safe use.
Real data is all over, Australia & NZ gave warfarin a try, US testing has been going on for almost a decade, lots of data / LO input.

I'm not against sodium nitrite based poisons for hogs.

I'd prefer not to think that somebody is getting their palm(s) greased or is invested in the Kaput/wafarin deal, sodium nitrate based hog control seems a much better way to go.

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6715855 03/27/17 12:51 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
If pigs can get to the bait, so can deer. At least some of them. Put money on that. There WILL be residuals of all kinds. I've said from the start this whole program is a bad idea for many reasons. Pigs are a big problem, I know and am well versed in the damage they can do..but they are also a food source for MANY Texans, including me and mine. Stupid, expensive idea that will do more harm than good.

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: therancher] #6715868 03/27/17 12:58 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: therancher

Yes. You'll have migratory birds even when you poison them...

In my country it wouldn't be hard to find dead ones....by now the panhandle should of killed every hawk, buzzard etc that comes through

But like I said early what's the half life, what percentage of the drug makes it into the meat vs soft organs..etc.

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6715869 03/27/17 12:59 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
If you have a real pig problem then get serious about killing them. It ain't rocket science, lots of options on the table that actually work if you are serious about it. YOU HAVE TO BE SERIOUS ABOUT IT and stick with it!

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6715873 03/27/17 01:03 AM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I think a very low reward system, from the state, would work. Can't run poison with cattle.

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: skinnerback] #6715882 03/27/17 01:10 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: skinnerback
If you have a real pig problem then get serious about killing them. It ain't rocket science, lots of options on the table that actually work if you are serious about it. YOU HAVE TO BE SERIOUS ABOUT IT and stick with it!

So you if a guy has 2800 acres and as been having it commercially trapped for last 8 years. With low years around 400 to highs of 600 hogs a year plus average 40-50 rifle kills. Who does he needs to call because they still there?

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: Huntmaster] #6715885 03/27/17 01:17 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Huntmaster
I think a very low reward system, from the state, would work. Can't run poison with cattle.

Reward right now .20 -.30 a pound !!!!. TAHC approved buying stations all over the state. They even changed they the rules to allow release cut boars on to game ranges. Still got hogs and number is increasing

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6715889 03/27/17 01:18 AM
R
RockinU Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: skinnerback

So you if a guy has 2800 acres and as been having it commercially trapped for last 8 years. With low years around 400 to highs of 600 hogs a year plus average 40-50 rifle kills. Who does he needs to call because they still there?

Probably his neighbors. A guy can do all the control he wants on his place, if places around him aren't actively trying it's hard to make much progress.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide