Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: therancher] #6747370 04/27/17 04:31 AM
glens Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: therancher
Originally Posted By: RockinU
One way that would help would be to start a contest like the west Texas big bobcat contest (or the jackrabbit or coyote contests). It would have to be based on total number of pigs and unlimited on size. You could have categories on method of kill but that's all.

There would be semi loads of dead pigs show up. That cat contest has severely reduced the number of yotes and foxes on many ranches. The money is so good you have hunters "protecting" a few pocket ranches that they can still find big cats and enough yotes and foxes on.

There have been hog hunting tournaments for a long time now. Never seen a semi-load, but I've seen some 28 foot gooseneck loads.

Seen any that only cost 50 bucks a person for 4 man teams and pay off with ~$45,000 for first, ~$30,000 for second, and ~$20,000 for third? That's what the cat contest pays.

I think pig hunts could actually pay off MUCH more than that. County org sponsorship would help.

Fayette County has had touraments for years in the spring with several drop off points. They pay you to shoot um. Pay on most, biggest and so on.I wasn't bothered on my little 100 acre place as I had about 35 longhorns. You get that many mommas and they will kill any pig or dog/coyote that comes into there pasture. I've seen this up close. Toss um 20 foot in the air. Somebody would be on them when they hit the ground.

Last edited by glens; 04/27/17 04:38 AM.
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: therancher] #6747471 04/27/17 12:38 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Explain why there are pigs 3 counties west of there then. You lose this one.

Explain why there aren't pigs 3 counties east? It isn't because of hunting or helicopters.

There are pigs 3 counties east. Bobo's point was that the climate in big lake is too dry for pigs. I just made sure he knew he was wrong. As are you.

No my point wasn't it's to dry for pigs. It's Texas you could have 5" a year and still find ranches with water. My point was lack of heavy vegetation. My ranch averages 15-20" a year. You know how hard it would be for me to eliminate every deer and antelope on it from the ground? Much less the air... could clear it in a week on ground, and 3 days by air.

You said hogs don't exist in Reagan county anyways. Now let's talk ranches with actual ground and Ariel sight "limiting" vegetation like Webb or Mason......

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6747527 04/27/17 01:33 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
This is getting better than HF-LF and 223 combined.

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6747533 04/27/17 01:37 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown [/quote

It's 20" a year annual rain fall. 5 less inches and that country looks like Roswell NM.

There are pigs around Crane and that is further west than Big Lake.

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: txshntr] #6747538 04/27/17 01:39 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
rofl Every part of the county huh...well, guess those poor ranchers out there and those poor hunters just don't know what a hog looks like.

I will concede that I mistyped when I stated the "3 counties west of you". North of the river has hogs as well as Eden area. South of the lake and south of Paint Rock, nope. They are not in every part of the county and actually not in a pretty large portion of the center of the county.

There are also hogs around Big Lake. One really large ranch across the street from yours has killed a few...and the Irion border has a few but I couldn't honestly say how many have crossed that imaginary line into Reagan.

Again, they aren't missing there because of helicopters and hunters though. Comparing Big Lake or Paint Rock to other areas with hog problems isn't exactly apples to apples though. If we had them move in to our ranch, it would be much easier to keep them at bay than to go into East Texas and eradicate them. Not to mention, much easier to see and shoot them in our country from a helicopter.

Honest question: Has Reagan county ever had a hog problem?

Only pigs I know of in Reagan are on the rocker b and 7d along the river and pastures bordering the river or big draws running into the Middle concho. We border them on the east side in Irion co and have pigs along the river. They don't get more than about 1/2 mile from the river though.

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: txbobcat] #6747549 04/27/17 01:50 PM
R
RLoving1 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: txbobcat
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

It's 20" a year annual rain fall. 5 less inches and that country looks like Roswell NM.

[/quote

There are pigs around Crane and that is further west than Big Lake.

That is fact! I hit one on motorcycle in Ector county right before you get into Crane county about 7 years ago! Will see them all the time coming to work. I work in Crane and have seen them south of Monahans before.

Brayden (Lazy L's Southern Comfort) you will be missed! You were more than a pet you were my reason to rise and return for many days! You were my rock!
12/26/03-10/25/13
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: txshntr] #6747608 04/27/17 02:50 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
rofl Every part of the county huh...well, guess those poor ranchers out there and those poor hunters just don't know what a hog looks like.

I will concede that I mistyped when I stated the "3 counties west of you". North of the river has hogs as well as Eden area. South of the lake and south of Paint Rock, nope. They are not in every part of the county and actually not in a pretty large portion of the center of the county.

There are also hogs around Big Lake. One really large ranch across the street from yours has killed a few...and the Irion border has a few but I couldn't honestly say how many have crossed that imaginary line into Reagan.

Again, they aren't missing there because of helicopters and hunters though. Comparing Big Lake or Paint Rock to other areas with hog problems isn't exactly apples to apples though. If we had them move in to our ranch, it would be much easier to keep them at bay than to go into East Texas and eradicate them. Not to mention, much easier to see and shoot them in our country from a helicopter.

No. Reagan county hasn't ever had a problem. But ALL surrounding counties have. The difference is that Reagan co. does predator control from choppers. County co-op. Every time they are up on a yote/cat hunt they kill any pig they see. It's real easy to do if you combine and focus your efforts on tactics that actually work.

Reagan co. is a perfect example of an excellent pig control strategy utilizing the very best method of control.

Regardless of what bs you choose to believe.

Last edited by therancher; 04/27/17 02:54 PM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: RLoving1] #6747615 04/27/17 02:53 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: RLoving1

There are pigs around Crane and that is further west than Big Lake. [/quote

That is fact! I hit one on motorcycle in Ector county right before you get into Crane county about 7 years ago! Will see them all the time coming to work. I work in Crane and have seen them south of Monahans before.

There are pigs in monahans too.

Every once in a while BoBo takes his brain out and plays with it. This is one of those times.

Poor ol TxHuntr is playing with something short of a full deck 24/7 though. "There are no pigs 3 counties east of Reagan"... Lawd have mercy...

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: therancher] #6747624 04/27/17 02:58 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

No. Reagan county hasn't ever had a problem. But ALL surrounding counties have. The difference is that they do predator control from choppers. County co-op. Every time they are up on a yote/cat hunt they kill any pig they see. It's real easy to do if you combine and focus your efforts on tactics that actually work.

Reagan co. is a perfect example of an excellent pig control strategy utilizing the very best method of control.

Regardless of what bs you spout, saying the tactics that worked in a county that has never had a major pig problem, low vegetation, relatively minor elevation changes, isolated water, etc., could be used in other geographical areas is narrow sighted at best.

While it is "easy" to do in that county, implementing the same tactics in an area with greater elevation changes, heavier canopy, more river bottoms, etc., isn't the same. If we had hogs move into our ranch and surrounding areas in Concho, the same tactics would work great that worked for Reagan....in Longview, Texas, not so much.

But hey...keep thinking that your way is the only way and if you are doing it different you are an idiot. Sounds like the same thought of one of our other THF residents rofl

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6747629 04/27/17 03:02 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Explain why there are pigs 3 counties west of there then. You lose this one.

Explain why there aren't pigs 3 counties east? It isn't because of hunting or helicopters.

There are pigs 3 counties east. Bobo's point was that the climate in big lake is too dry for pigs. I just made sure he knew he was wrong. As are you.

No my point wasn't it's to dry for pigs. It's Texas you could have 5" a year and still find ranches with water. My point was lack of heavy vegetation. My ranch averages 15-20" a year. You know how hard it would be for me to eliminate every deer and antelope on it from the ground? Much less the air... could clear it in a week on ground, and 3 days by air.

You said hogs don't exist in Reagan county anyways. Now let's talk ranches with actual ground and Ariel sight "limiting" vegetation like Webb or Mason......

"It's 20" a year annual rain fall. 5 less inches and that country looks like Roswell NM."

That's exactly what you said. And I pointed out that there are thriving wild hog populations in counties that in fact do look like Roswell or worse.

I can and will control pigs here in Kerr Co. I've cut all my cedar and will begin helicoptering soon. It would have cost me twice as much before I cut the cedar. But a few thousand dollars more isn't going to stop that effort. We are in fact forming a local co-op to do predator control.

And let me assure you, if you can get rid of deer and antelope from the air you can certainly do it with pigs. The run like roaches from a chopper. As dependable as the sun coming up everyday.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6747632 04/27/17 03:04 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

Every once in a while BoBo takes his brain out and plays with it. This is one of those times.

Poor ol TxHuntr is playing with something short of a full deck 24/7 though. "There are no pigs 3 counties east of Reagan"... Lawd have mercy...

rofl I admitted I was wrong on the county wide thing...at least I can admit when I say something stupid

I do stand by central Concho having none and would put money on it grin

None, zilch, zero in Reagan though...but the rockerb doesn't count I'm sure, or the ones on the Irion border cheers

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6747636 04/27/17 03:07 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

"It's 20" a year annual rain fall. 5 less inches and that country looks like Roswell NM."

That's exactly what you said. And I pointed out that there are thriving wild hog populations in counties that in fact do look like Roswell or worse.

I can and will control pigs here in Kerr Co. I've cut all my cedar and will begin helicoptering soon. It would have cost me twice as much before I cut the cedar. But a few thousand dollars more isn't going to stop that effort. We are in fact forming a local co-op to do predator control.

And let me assure you, if you can get rid of deer and antelope from the air you can certainly do it with pigs. The run like roaches from a chopper. As dependable as the sun coming up everyday.

How is the hog population there? Will it be a continuos effort or will it get to a point where it takes minimal effort to keep them at bay? Can you eliminate them completely or is the plan to keep them to a minimal level?

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: txshntr] #6747638 04/27/17 03:08 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

No. Reagan county hasn't ever had a problem. But ALL surrounding counties have. The difference is that they do predator control from choppers. County co-op. Every time they are up on a yote/cat hunt they kill any pig they see. It's real easy to do if you combine and focus your efforts on tactics that actually work.

Regardless of what bs you spout, saying the tactics that worked in a county that has never had a major pig problem, low vegetation, relatively minor elevation changes, isolated water, etc., could be used in other geographical areas is narrow sighted at best.

While it is "easy" to do in that county, implementing the same tactics in an area with greater elevation changes, heavier canopy, more river bottoms, etc., isn't the same. If we had hogs move into our ranch and surrounding areas in Concho, the same tactics would work great that worked for Reagan....in Longview, Texas, not so much.

But hey...keep thinking that your way is the only way and if you are doing it different you are an idiot. Sounds like the same thought of one of our other THF residents rofl

There is no better pig control method than helicopters. And it can be used anywhere. Even before I cleared cedar here in Kerr I could have controlled them from the air. And my ranch here was one of the thickest in the county. Pigs run from choppers. Period.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: txshntr] #6747645 04/27/17 03:12 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

How is the hog population there? Will it be a continuos effort or will it get to a point where it takes minimal effort to keep them at bay? Can you eliminate them completely or is the plan to keep them to a minimal level?

I will be able to keep them at a VERY low level. It's a matter of effort and method. My place is covered in pigs on the thick side. Very few on the thin side. I have an 800 acre neighbor that has completely eradicated them from his place. I may never be able to completely eradicate them. But I'm gonna get real close.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: txshntr] #6747652 04/27/17 03:16 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

rofl I admitted I was wrong on the county wide thing...at least I can admit when I say something stupid

I do stand by central Concho having none and would put money on it grin

None, zilch, zero in Reagan though...but the rockerb doesn't count I'm sure, or the ones on the Irion border cheers

Kerr co probably has as high a pig population as any county. But as you see in my post above, individual ranches are able to control them to zilch.

You say your's is one of those. I won't say that's not true. BUT, I'll call you a liar if you say they haven't done anything to control them.

Last edited by therancher; 04/27/17 03:16 PM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: RLoving1] #6747665 04/27/17 03:25 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: RLoving1

There are pigs around Crane and that is further west than Big Lake. [/quote

I'm sure there is, hell I have them in Cimmeron Okla that's not the point. Ability to eradicate is. It's have 5 trees on my ranch. If state allowed night and hunting guess what...hogs would be eradicated. In five minutes I could have permission to fly 100k acres.

If you have the ability to truly eradicate hogs then you are not restricted by vegetation. Big difference in vegetation of Reagan then Webb or Mason or Kerr or even east texas.

Rancher even stated he is about to clear out cedar so he can do aerial control. He is currently restricted via vegetation

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: therancher] #6747673 04/27/17 03:31 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I will be able to keep them at a VERY low level. It's a matter of effort and method. My place is covered in pigs on the thick side. Very few on the thin side. I have an 800 acre neighbor that has completely eradicated them from his place. I may never be able to completely eradicate them. But I'm gonna get real close.

Only one way to completely eradicate them on 800 acres. Part of it I s a bye product of fencing in something else, and rest is improved pasture.

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: don k] #6747715 04/27/17 03:57 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: don k
This is getting better than HF-LF and 223 combined.

As soon as this thread is locked, I'm starting a thread on "chili, beans or no beans?".

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6747731 04/27/17 04:11 PM
B
Boxer62 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
Not one single method will eradicate hogs. I hunt a place with my dogs that traps, shoots, and helicopters hog and we still haven't gotten rid of them. I have even taken my dogs out there the afternoon the helicopter pilot showed me the pile of hogs they shot that morning and I had 4 hogs caught in under and hour. A combination of these methods is extremely productive.

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: therancher] #6747756 04/27/17 04:35 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

You say your's is one of those. I won't say that's not true. BUT, I'll call you a liar if you say they haven't done anything to control them.

I don't know anyone in the area that has done anything to control them. If they are doing anything, it is miles south of us around Eden. As far as anyone knows, they haven't crossed south of the river but I know three ranchers on the river and they do nothing and know of no one around them that does. I just know for 25 years, all I have heard is "any day now"

I also have no valid theory as to why we don't have them.

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: txshntr] #6747794 04/27/17 05:14 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

I don't know anyone in the area that has done anything to control them. If they are doing anything, it is miles south of us around Eden. As far as anyone knows, they haven't crossed south of the river but I know three ranchers on the river and they do nothing and know of no one around them that does. I just know for 25 years, all I have heard is "any day now"

I also have no valid theory as to why we don't have them.

OK. I'm not going to call you a liar. BUT, someone is lying to you.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6747884 04/27/17 06:54 PM
S
swmays Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I read all this and find it interesting, Pigs / No Pigs, This county, that county.

In twenty years on our farms in Terry county, 40 miles south of Lubbock, I have never seen a pig, pig tracks or rooting. Eight separate farms in sections, halfs or quarters, south of Brownfield. I've asked the farmers and they say "No problems here".

Then I would fire up THF and see pictures of djones with piles of dead pigs from Lubbock or Terry County.

I don't really have a point to make here except that maybe both sides are correct. Location, location, location. 2cents

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: swmays] #6747926 04/27/17 07:46 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: swmays
I read all this and find it interesting, Pigs / No Pigs, This county, that county.

In twenty years on our farms in Terry county, 40 miles south of Lubbock, I have never seen a pig, pig tracks or rooting. Eight separate farms in sections, halfs or quarters, south of Brownfield. I've asked the farmers and they say "No problems here".

Then I would fire up THF and see pictures of djones with piles of dead pigs from Lubbock or Terry County.

I don't really have a point to make here except that maybe both sides are correct. Location, location, location. 2cents

I've hunted mule deer in terry county three times. There were plenty of pigs on the property we hunted. Sandhills next to cattle pastures. There were a lot more on the place we hunt in cockran county though.

I'm sure there are parts of both counties they are controlled in. But there are pigs where they aren't controlled.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: therancher] #6752627 05/02/17 09:23 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline OP
Texas colt45
OP Offline
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: swmays

what is the secret to keep them controlled? bang

I've hunted mule deer in terry county three times. There were plenty of pigs on the property we hunted. Sandhills next to cattle pastures. There were a lot more on the place we hunt in cockran county though.

I'm sure there are parts of both counties they are controlled in. But there are pigs where they aren't controlled.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6796466 06/18/17 02:14 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
And now we have finally come to the $64,000 question. When do pigs fly and where do they go.....

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide