Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: RockinU] #6715898 03/27/17 01:23 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: RockinU
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: skinnerback
If you have a real pig problem then get serious about killing them. It ain't rocket science, lots of options on the table that actually work if you are serious about it. YOU HAVE TO BE SERIOUS ABOUT IT and stick with it!

So you if a guy has 2800 acres and as been having it commercially trapped for last 8 years. With low years around 400 to highs of 600 hogs a year plus average 40-50 rifle kills. Who does he needs to call because they still there?

Probably his neighbors. A guy can do all the control he wants on his place, if places around him aren't actively trying it's hard to make much progress.

Other neighbor does same thing and his is 1100 acres but I don't know his numbers. Other rancher are smaller and most day hunt

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: Huntmaster] #6715919 03/27/17 01:39 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: Huntmaster
I think a very low reward system, from the state, would work. Can't run poison with cattle.

I hear you, but problem is low won't attract too many people. High, and somebody is going broke and will stop in no time. If you have a pig problem, then get serious about killing them. This does not mean shoot every pig you see when you're out there, gotta be a lot more committed than that. It takes several visits to said property a week, every week. Nasty weather, windy, ball games, doesn't matter. If you're being paid you show up and do your job no matter.. Traps, snares, dogs, hunting days, hunting nights, and if the LO can afford it helo's. No, you will not kill them all but you will put a hell of a dent in them and crop damage WILL decrease. I work for a man that has over 250,000 acres of corn crop country contracted for feral pig removal. We hammer them on the ground, and the choppers hammer them from the air. There is no ONE solution unless you build pig proof fence. It takes all of us, with all of our tools hitting it. Sometimes pigs are hard to find out there now. That makes us sad because we love to kill them, but makes the LO happy. roflmao Put tools in your box and use them. Poison ain't a tool, it's lazy and a bad idea.

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6715922 03/27/17 01:40 AM
R
RockinU Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
If you have a real pig problem then get serious about killing them. It ain't rocket science, lots of options on the table that actually work if you are serious about it. YOU HAVE TO BE SERIOUS ABOUT IT and stick with it!

So you if a guy has 2800 acres and as been having it commercially trapped for last 8 years. With low years around 400 to highs of 600 hogs a year plus average 40-50 rifle kills. Who does he needs to call because they still there?

Probably his neighbors. A guy can do all the control he wants on his place, if places around him aren't actively trying it's hard to make much progress.

Other neighbor does same thing and his is 1100 acres but I don't know his numbers. Other rancher are smaller and most day hunt

Therein lies the problem. 2800 acres has a lot of neighbors. Knowing that 1100 acres is actively controlled means that you know a small minority of the surrounding land has any management. It's a hard problem that I'm not sure there is a solution to.

Last edited by RockinU; 03/27/17 01:41 AM.
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6715942 03/27/17 02:04 AM
H
Huntmaster Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
How bout $50.00 a pig with photo emailed to local game warden. He can verify at any time. False submission will result in class a felony. Then you will see people coming out of the woods hunting them. Not just the rich guys with Huey helicopters.

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: Huntmaster] #6715950 03/27/17 02:10 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
How bout $50.00 a pig with photo emailed to local game warden. He can verify at any time. False submission will result in class a felony. Then you will see people coming out of the woods hunting them. Not just the rich guys with Huey helicopters.

No. Choppers are the answer.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6715954 03/27/17 02:14 AM
H
Huntmaster Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Do the have them at TSC; if not I'm going to have to get a drone and shoot poison Asian Voodo darts into their butts.

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6715973 03/27/17 02:25 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Therein lies the problem. 2800 acres has a lot of neighbors. Knowing that 1100 acres is actively controlled means that you know a small minority of the surrounding land has any management. It's a hard problem that I'm not sure there is a solution to.

Yes and no, llano river blocks one side. Point still is commercial trapping isn't stopping them or overly controlling either.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: therancher] #6715980 03/27/17 02:30 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: therancher

No its not, it's just another tool, its greatly limited by acreage and foliage. Also just like trapping...better get them all first time.

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6716006 03/27/17 02:48 AM
R
RockinU Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R

Yes and no, llano river blocks one side. Point still is commercial trapping isn't stopping them or overly controlling either.

It's the Llano River, not the pacific ocean, I've seen hogs bail off in the Brazos, and make it out the other side. Those hogs on the other side of the river today are still your hogs.

Commercial trapping isn't widespread enough to mitigate them. Just like the poisoning won't be either. If your neighbors won't allow someone else to do all the work for them by allowing trapping or other control measures, they why in the world would they expend the effort to create bait stations for the poison?

The poison won't be a magic bullet for the same reason trapping doesn't work, not enough people are serious about getting rid of them.

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: RockinU] #6716021 03/27/17 02:58 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

It's the Llano River, not the pacific ocean, I've seen hogs bail off in the Brazos, and make it out the other side. Those hogs on the other side of the river today are still your hogs.

Commercial trapping isn't widespread enough to mitigate them. Just like the poisoning won't be either. If your neighbors won't allow someone else to do all the work for them by allowing trapping or other control measures, they why in the world would they expend the effort to create bait stations for the poison?

The poison won't be a magic bullet for the same reason trapping doesn't work, not enough people are serious about getting rid of them.

How do you know it's not a cliff?

More options means more dead hogs. Fact of the matter is trapping, hunting and Arial aren't eradicating nor controlling as it was currently elluded to on this thread. Not disagreeing on the poison because of how it's being distributed, might as well use trap. With that said, not one person has posted any facts on half life, percentage of intake will make it to the meat etc.....

It's going to wreck the environment but no one knows how..

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6716046 03/27/17 03:12 AM
R
RockinU Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R

How do you know it's not a cliff?

More options means more dead hogs. Fact of the matter is trapping, hunting and Arial aren't eradicating nor controlling as it was currently elluded to on this thread. Not disagreeing on the poison because of how it's being distributed, might as well use trap. With that said, not one person has posted any facts on half life, percentage of intake will make it to the meat etc.....

It's going to wreck the environment but no one knows how..

I suppose I don't know if there's a cliff, but if it borders a whole side of 2800 acres, and with my experiences in the region, and with other rivers in Texas, I feel confident that hogs cross it, and that you are being silly on the point.

I think you might be surprised at some local success that mitigation efforts can have, and some of those have been alluded to, but on the whole, you are correct, for the reasons I've already listed statewide control isn't a thing. I believe for the same reasons the effects of poisoning efforts are likely to be vastly less than many hope.

I've never personally said that I think this will wreck the environment, I just have concerns that things like this often have unintended consequences (even trapping does). For me, and my place, with my current level of hog problems, I'd prefer to see how it works for somebody else first.

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6716052 03/27/17 03:24 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Rockin I'm messing with you on the cliff smile. I have seen travel studies that have showed 18 miles a month in drought years. So 8 miles is nothings.

Yes you are 100% right I can only account for numbers removed on 3900 acres, but that control shows that even on semi large acreage trapping, hunting and arial aren't eliminating or dramatically controlling numbers.

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6716085 03/27/17 04:14 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Seriously, does anyone here think you don't have to be at least temporarily insane to believe that poison would pass muster?

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: therancher] #6716142 03/27/17 11:53 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: therancher

It'd make for an interesting squirrel hunt is about all in our hood.

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6716156 03/27/17 12:19 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
The is no way in the world that hog numbers will ever decrease. It is too late. Even on this forum you hear from folks that want them on their lease. There are too many land owners that do nothing to solve the problem. A bounty system will not work. There are too many and not enough money for it. Plus all the people that would need to be hired to run it. If I did nothing I would have them running around here like rats. The neighbors have plenty but they do nothing. I shoot, snare and try to keep the fences in good shape. Snares are one of the best tools for catching hogs.

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: don k] #6716289 03/27/17 02:59 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
One way that would help would be to start a contest like the west Texas big bobcat contest (or the jackrabbit or coyote contests). It would have to be based on total number of pigs and unlimited on size. You could have categories on method of kill but that's all.

There would be semi loads of dead pigs show up. That cat contest has severely reduced the number of yotes and foxes on many ranches. The money is so good you have hunters "protecting" a few pocket ranches that they can still find big cats and enough yotes and foxes on.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6716303 03/27/17 03:12 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
How about tons of giant alligators everywhere?

It's almost too easy...

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: don k] #6716308 03/27/17 03:17 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline OP
Texas colt45
OP Offline
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: don k
The is no way in the world that hog numbers will ever decrease. It is too late. Even on this forum you hear from folks that want them on their lease. There are too many land owners that do nothing to solve the problem. A bounty system will not work. There are too many and not enough money for it. Plus all the people that would need to be hired to run it. If I did nothing I would have them running around here like rats. The neighbors have plenty but they do nothing. I shoot, snare and try to keep the fences in good shape. Snares are one of the best tools for catching hogs.
+1. people that want them on their lease are either selling hunts or want the fun of shooting, have no regard for the destruction & disease they bring.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6716345 03/27/17 03:59 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef

Fact of the matter is trapping, hunting and Arial aren't eradicating nor controlling as it was currently elluded to on this thread.

OK, what do I know...

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: RockinU] #6716350 03/27/17 04:05 PM
J
Jbell99 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
I know not every pig could be picked up that would take too much time but I mean while out working the property if you see them pick them up I know lots of people who shoot hogs and just leave them

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6716354 03/27/17 04:09 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: colt45
Originally Posted By: don k
+1. people that want them on their lease are either selling hunts or want the fun of shooting, have no regard for the destruction & disease they bring.

Or, they just really like to eat them. Every single person on our place in Duval would rather eat pigs vs deer. Our neighbors are the same way. We feed our families with them. Yes, they are destructive but we deal with that. As far as disease, that's a non-issue.

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6716443 03/27/17 06:06 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
You all complaining about people not taking their responsibility of hog eradication seriously need to sit back and realize that probably half of the texas countryside is owned by city dwellers who don't live on the land, and the number is likely more than half. So you gonna argue that you can't own land unless you take eradication of hogs seriously and pay more money for professional hog killers to come on your property while you aren't there and "take care" of the hogs...as if that even works.

Guys, there is a hog issue, some people see it as a problem some people see it as an opportunity, some people see it as a fun time. The real problem lies in the fact that there are people on here trying to tell other people what they need to do on their land. NO, this isn't Russia where someone can tell you what to do. Its the USA. We are free to run our land the way we want, and if that involves using the "pig problem" as a commercial venture then so be it, if it means using it for fun hobby then so be it, if it means trying to be a farmer and having to deal with the hog issue then so be it. Each profession has financial responsibilities and that just happens to be one of yours that you can't force everyone else to conform to.

Would be like me saying I don't want to pay for the cost of my medical liability insurance so everyone needs to do exactly what I say when it comes to healthcare and not sue me when you get sick...lets see how that goes for two seconds...anyone smoke or drink or overweight on this forum?

Catch my drift? flag

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6716574 03/27/17 08:09 PM
J
jcav Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
They did some of the trials for Warfarin on our hunting lease in the southern panhandle last year. We have not seen any problems with cattle or deer, to us the biggest problem was them coming through everyday for 6 months. They were trapping hogs and fitting them with GPS devices to track their movements, farthest one went from lakeview to estelline and back every week.

JSC
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6716697 03/27/17 09:43 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
In the early 1950s during the drought the jackrabbits were the problem. The landowners got together and had rabbit drives. Part of them would gather at one end of pasture with loaded shotguns and clubs. The others would line up and literally drive the jacks towards the others. This would go on for an entire weekend, covering literally dozens of pastures by just one groups of the landowners and their relatives and friends.

After you ran out of rabbits you went along with your club and killed any that were still moving or crying. Then basically left them were they laid, the coyotes had a lot of feasts that summer without any work. But then occasionally a coyote made a mistake and became a part of the shoot, as did a few bobcats.

This was the only solution the farmers and ranchers had of getting rid of the jacks, they were literally eating up the pastures so that the cattle were having to be fed.

Grain acreage was being demolished by the same jacks. At night, they would gather in pickups and night hunt the jacks in the grain fields. It was nothing to see 5 or more pickups with 3 or more shooters in each chasing jacks around the fields.

It worked on jackrabbit population, maybe it would work on the feral hog population.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: skinnerback] #6717096 03/28/17 03:35 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Fact of the matter is trapping, hunting and Arial aren't eradicating nor controlling as it was currently elluded to on this thread.

OK, what do I know...

Not inferring you don't just stating that I have 9 years worth of trapping data and hunting data that's states that if you are trapping 400 a year three years into a four year drought...you aren't controlling. That's one hog per 7 acres that's higher then the Deer density.

I just wonder at what point they hit max CC.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide