Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: cabosandinh] #6712550 03/23/17 03:15 AM
F
Featherduster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: cabosandinh
Ag income is so low you have to be a rich farmer/rancher to begin with to make it

Off topic but I hate hearing when people say this.

I started farming on my own without a dollar to my name.

Nothing has been easy.

So far so good, and I wasn't born into it either.

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6712574 03/23/17 03:54 AM
D
DH3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I think that there is an overreaction to the poison being used. The concentration of Wafarin (The Poison) is so minute that it does not effect any other animal..just hogs.

Last edited by DH3; 03/23/17 03:54 AM. Reason: Sp.

Old age and treachery beats youth and stupid every time!
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: J.G.] #6712584 03/23/17 04:09 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

How would poison only target hogs?

lead poisoning would be target selective

Helicopter is the only way that does any good.

I'm saving my pennies for a Huey.

If you know a place with that many I know a guy but we would have to see if he is willing to do it... Let me know peep

[Linked Image]
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: Featherduster] #6712624 03/23/17 09:59 AM
C
colt45-90 Offline OP
Texas colt45
OP Offline
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: Featherduster
Ag income is so low you have to be a rich farmer/rancher to begin with to make it

Nothing has been easy.

good for you. not impossible but very difficult, depending on acreage ect. equipment alone runs into hundreds of thousands of dollars.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6712679 03/23/17 12:14 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Farming/ranching has been my families major income as long as I can remember. Mom was a school teacher which doesn't be make near enough to do much and dad was farming and ranching. Now I do the farming and ranching with him and my son may take over for me one day. We have a few hog problems now and then and trapping has been the most effective way to deal with them. I may try the poison on one of our area to see how well it really worked, but I do share the concerns about it effecting non-target species and humans.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: DH3] #6712881 03/23/17 02:57 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: DH3
I think that there is an overreaction to the poison being used. The concentration of Wafarin (The Poison) is so minute that it does not effect any other animal..just hogs.

It's Warfarin?

An anticoagulant prescribed to atrial fibrillation patients. I wonder what that does to the hogs? Hogs anatomy and physiology is not far off from humans. Are we giving them an anticoagulant to prevent clotting after having been shot, or is shooting not needed?

Interesting.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: J.G.] #6712919 03/23/17 03:38 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M

It's Warfarin?

An anticoagulant prescribed to atrial fibrillation patients. I wonder what that does to the hogs? Hogs anatomy and physiology is not far off from humans. Are we giving them an anticoagulant to prevent clotting after having been shot, or is shooting not needed?

Interesting.

Yes it is Warfarin. No, a shot is not needed. Repeated doses build up in the hogs system which induces spontaneous internal bleeding and they eventually bleed to death. Can take repeated feeding and up to a month to kill a hog.

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: mattyg06] #6713149 03/23/17 07:16 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Interesting, thank you.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6713162 03/23/17 07:31 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
If it builds up in hogs and take a month to kill them chances are high that people will be shooting and eating hogs that are eating it. If it builds up in hogs wouldn't it build up in the people that eat them?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: mattyg06] #6713237 03/23/17 08:28 PM
505ed Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: mattyg06

It's Warfarin?

Interesting.

Yes it is Warfarin. No, a shot is not needed. Repeated doses build up in the hogs system which induces spontaneous internal bleeding and they eventually bleed to death. Can take repeated feeding and up to a month to kill a hog.

The question is not "Can" it will take repeated feeding...Warfarin is a multi feed bait....this is not the best solution...their are other compounds that would do a better job...their is also problems with bait palatability--

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6713250 03/23/17 08:43 PM
R
rex47 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
with Warfarin the more water they the better it works.

when the going gets really tough, I sit down and rest
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6713338 03/23/17 10:20 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I wonder why they aren't trying to find some type of bait that sterilizes them and over time, the problem go away due to no breeding ... scratch

I don't make a living by farming or ranching and only have a small place that I used to run a few head of cattle to keep ag exemption in place and put meat in the freezer ... but at the beginning of the drought, ~2009, the feral hogs got to blowing huge hole in my fence that I would patch (due to the artisan springs on my place), just for them to move over 10-15 feet and start another hole. It got so bad that the fences were in such bad shape, I was getting calls from neighboring ranches that my cattle were over on their places about every other week. I used about 80-100 cattle panels patching the fence over about a year time frame and finally gave up and converted the place over to a wildlife management improvement exemption just to not have to repair fence and chase cattle over a several mile area.

I am out there at least once a month, more during hunting season and we shoot every hog we get an opportunity to shoot. I even gave a friend and his wife (plus a buddy of their's) permission to hunt and trap hogs mid January thru August for a couple of years. No telling how many we all took off the place over the past 7-8 years ... and you couldn't tell one was killed. they just reproduce too fast to make a dent in them.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: Featherduster] #6713348 03/23/17 10:28 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Featherduster

Nothing has been easy.

Awesome man! That is extremely rare for sure. Unless you are talking about farming the wacky tabacky, and that usually ends badly!

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: cabosandinh] #6713353 03/23/17 10:40 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

hogs don't tear up my land like in other places, they just come visit the
3 tanks, eat fallen fruits/corn then move back to the river.

The only poison I've used is rat poison inside the barn

I don't even use fertilizer for my coastal or any of the fruit trees or my vineyard
I like things natural as much as possible

If i were to have hog problem, I can shoot them faster than they can produce.
And my friends would be more than happy to play GI Joe with hogs

I'm not sure about your place but overall it is impossible to control hogs by hunting them!

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: RockinU] #6713359 03/23/17 10:44 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: RockinU
Also, some hunters and trappers aren't really practicing real control. I kill quite a few barrows every year, and while I know they can't contribute to the expansion of the population, cutting their balls off does absolutely zero to mitigate the property damage they are capable of.

I have killed several as well and it always pisses me off, but to each their own.

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: therancher] #6713444 03/24/17 12:04 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: therancher
I make my money from ranching. I will never think poisoning food is a good idea.

Helicopter hours are cheap and worth the price.

You ranch not farm, and you already probably gather your cattle with helo. . In Certain areas Helo's are only viable a very small percentage of the year due to foliage. I love hunting elk... they lay over a $180k plus corn circle, they die and I don't care how it happens.

Fact of matter is I have yet to see either side of the drug debate lay up any facts. I wish someone who was involved in the study (not my brothers wife's great uncle who is the #1 biologist in Texas said) publish some good facts. Half life's, drug residue in meat etc.

As of right now the delivry method for warfin is a joke. Might as well use remote trap.

Hunting aspect as a control option is pissing in the wind.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: mattyg06] #6713449 03/24/17 12:10 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: mattyg06
I don't think you have to be a farmer/rancher for this to affect you. I don't like the idea of prescription drugs being put out in the open environment that will just get washed into the water supply. Our public water system doesn't have the capability of removing these types of chemicals.

The below was taken from the EPA.

Quote:
ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS
This product may be toxic to fish, birds and other wildlife. Dogs and other predatory and scavenging mammals and
birds might be poisoned if they feed upon animals that have eaten the bait. Do not apply this product directly to
water, to areas where surface water is present or to intertidal areas below the mean high-water mark. Do not
contaminate water when disposing of equipment wash waters.

It is or it isnt, that says neither.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6713469 03/24/17 12:23 AM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I don't so far have a hog problem. I do at times have a coyote problem. In trying to solve a ranchers or farmers problem there is usually a small amount of collateral damage. Be it from traps, snares or other things a person uses to try to solve their problem. As long as the result does not involve humans that is just the way it is.

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: don k] #6713544 03/24/17 01:27 AM
R
RockinU Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: don k
I don't so far have a hog problem. I do at times have a coyote problem. In trying to solve a ranchers or farmers problem there is usually a small amount of collateral damage. Be it from traps, snares or other things a person uses to try to solve their problem. As long as the result does not involve humans that is just the way it is.

Have call, will travel. (coyote problem related, not hog poison related)

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6713659 03/24/17 03:25 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
I make my money from ranching. I will never think poisoning food is a good idea.

You ranch not farm, and you already probably gather your cattle with helo. . In Certain areas Helo's are only viable a very small percentage of the year due to foliage. I love hunting elk... they lay over a $180k plus corn circle, they die and I don't care how it happens.

Fact of matter is I have yet to see either side of the drug debate lay up any facts. I wish someone who was involved in the study (not my brothers wife's great uncle who is the #1 biologist in Texas said) publish some good facts. Half life's, drug residue in meat etc.

As of right now the delivry method for warfin is a joke. Might as well use remote trap.

There are some inconsistencies for sure. They say the drug needs to build up in their system over time. And the biological half life is a 40 hour mean. They warn against eating pigs with "blue fat". Sorry, way too much contradiction for me to feel comfortable.

And you're right. I don't farm. But farmers can helo them a LOT more efficiently than most. And played right, the cost can be mitigated by charging for helo "hunts".

Just finished a meal of fried wild pig, and ate smoked wild pig yesterday. Both were killed by my grandkids on their spring break. I find any blue fat in those pigs and sid miller's gonna have more to worry about than re-election.

Either he is as dumb as a box of rox, or kaput is lining his pockets.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: therancher] #6713679 03/24/17 03:57 AM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
or kaput is lining his pockets.

money makes the world goes 'round

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6713938 03/24/17 02:42 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline OP
Texas colt45
OP Offline
Texas colt45
C
50yrs of progress, my dad started farming with horses and mules, the big rig was what he had when he died, invest that kind of money, you don't want to see and invasive species destroy your investment

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: therancher] #6714065 03/24/17 04:19 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

There are some inconsistencies for sure. They say the drug needs to build up in their system over time. And the biological half life is a 40 hour mean. They warn against eating pigs with "blue fat". Sorry, way too much contradiction for me to feel comfortable.

And you're right. I don't farm. But farmers can helo them a LOT more efficiently than most. And played right, the cost can be mitigated by charging for helo "hunts".

Just finished a meal of fried wild pig, and ate smoked wild pig yesterday. Both were killed by my grandkids on their spring break. I find any blue fat in those pigs and sid miller's gonna have more to worry about than re-election.

Either he is as dumb as a box of rox, or kaput is lining his pockets.

Easy, Sid is actually a really good Ag commissioner. We could have another bleeding heart hippy like hightower

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: colt45-90] #6714182 03/24/17 05:56 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
You may like his politics/policies and that's fine.

But anybody that follows him for 10 minutes knows he's dumb as a box of rocks.

But, hey, that's "in" these days. Even smart people are acting dumb so they can get elected/keep their seats.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: farmers & ranchers? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6714187 03/24/17 06:00 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
You may like his politics/policies and that's fine.

But anybody that follows him for 10 minutes knows he's dumb as a box of rocks.

But, hey, that's "in" these days. Even smart people are acting dumb so they can get elected/keep their seats.

Lots of truth here.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide