Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,807
Posts9,729,352
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Best Grass Seed for Anderson County - Centipede or Bermuda ? #6706695 03/16/17 12:08 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Need to over seed the old yard that's full of a variety of emerging weeds, very little St Augustine & some Centipede & Bermuda. Fixin' to hit the yard with Weed & Feed this weekend and then lay fresh grass seed down 7-10 days later after "rough" raking the yard to breakup the surface, now that the Yard Guy has "broom clean" raked it of all the pine needles, limbs and cones.

The lady at Lowes here recc'd Centipede for a One Size Fits All grass seed but is sold out of the big bags - enough to cover & patch seed the 35,000 sq feet of mowable yard, and patching the deep shade spots in the corners with St Augustine plugs.

Typical sandy soil and tallll trees that allow 60-100% sun with 80+% sun coverage all day. Got all my bamboo cut below ground level but the sprouts will need weekly attention to try and starve it out....so the constant mowing is ging to be a factor in growing grass seed too.

What say the Peanut Gallery on Centipede for the primary grass instead of Bermuda?
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Best Grass Seed for Anderson County - Centipede or Bermuda ? [Re: WileyCoyote] #6710010 03/20/17 03:03 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Zoysia is a much better option than centipede IMO. It tolerates drought and foot traffic much better.

With that said - I like bermuda better. There are a couple hybrid varieties that you can get from seed now. Most of them are expensive though.

Make sure you get hulled and coated seeds with whichever grass you go with. Hulled with make them germinate quicker and more uniformly and the coating on them has a fungicide that will protect against stuff in the soil, plus birds don't like the coated seeds and won't mess with them as much.

Last edited by Cochise; 03/20/17 03:03 PM.
Re: Best Grass Seed for Anderson County - Centipede or Bermuda ? [Re: WileyCoyote] #6710025 03/20/17 03:15 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Love me some Bermuda grass. Once it is established you can't kill it. And you can wage chemical warfare on weeds within Bermuda. MSMA when you can get it.

The ranch was abused by the previous rancher, and the grass was sick. I plowed with a tandem disc during growth season. Guess what? All I did was anger the Bermuda and it spread like wildfire. I also caused weed growth. My farmer neighbor came and ran his self propelled 60' boom spray rig over it in August. I had him apply 1 pt per 10 gal per acre of Round-Up. He was terrified it would kill my good grass. I said "Joe it's on me, if anything is hurt, it's my decision, spray it". Two days later the Bermuda was still green as could be and the Johnson grass was dying.

Bermuda is tough, and I like tough!

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Best Grass Seed for Anderson County - Centipede or Bermuda ? [Re: WileyCoyote] #6710154 03/20/17 05:21 PM
N
NewGulf Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Contact Grimes County Feed And Fertilizer in Anderson 936-873-2266 they can tell you the real deal

Re: Best Grass Seed for Anderson County - Centipede or Bermuda ? [Re: WileyCoyote] #6720735 03/31/17 02:29 PM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I would go with Bermuda as well - but recommend not using weed and feed prior, but Roundup. You'll need to wait awhile after applying Roundup before you can seed.
Once you have a decent seed bed, rake it in and then mulch it well with straw to keep moisture in. Resist the urge to mow it at least until the grass is 2" tall. When you do mow - use a mulching blade and plug so the straw is returned back to the ground to continue with a good mulch.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Best Grass Seed for Anderson County - Centipede or Bermuda ? [Re: WileyCoyote] #6721990 04/01/17 08:47 PM
HOF Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I sprigged my pasture this last spring with coastal bermuda. I srayed/nuked the entire pasture with a heavy dose of roundup the day before. No need to wait any longer than that to plant. 60 days later I was spraying Target/msma to kill the grassburrs. That stuff is magic. I also sprayed something on the broadleafs. Note, before planting I put 100 lb per acre of fertilizer.

Grass looks great this spring. Got another 100 lb per acre of fertilizer impregnated with prowl down the end of Feb. And sprayed with 24d. After the 7 inches of rain last week I'm about to apply frigging expensive pastora with a light dose of 24d to keep stickers from coming up and get more bradleaves.

In may I'll hit it again with 24d as target one more time, along with 50 lbs per acre of more fertilizer. That should take me to September.

Last edited by HOF; 04/01/17 08:48 PM.

Searching the world over for the perfect Chile Relleno.
Re: Best Grass Seed for Anderson County - Centipede or Bermuda ? [Re: HOF] #6723664 04/03/17 02:41 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
HOF, you roll like I do.

Round-up attacks what's above ground, it is not a soil neutralizer. Kill the weeds, throw the seed out.

MSMA and 2-4-D are wonderful chemicals. I use MSMA on the yard, but it's too expensive to use on the pasture, that was the reason for the Round-Up. Mix it right, and it kills the weeds, and it's cheaper than MSMA.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Best Grass Seed for Anderson County - Centipede or Bermuda ? [Re: J.G.] #6723692 04/03/17 03:04 PM
HOF Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
HOF, you roll like I do.

Round-up attacks what's above ground, it is not a soil neutralizer. Kill the weeds, throw the seed out.

MSMA and 2-4-D are wonderful chemicals. I use MSMA on the yard, but it's too expensive to use on the pasture, that was the reason for the Round-Up. Mix it right, and it kills the weeds, and it's cheaper than MSMA.

In our region, Sandy soil and less water, grass burrs are prolific and easily the genetically dominant grass variety. Unfortunately all the chemicals that control them are expensive. A small bottle of Pastora is $300 per. That covers about 17 acres. It is theoretically supposed to get them before they emerge. Msma is a little less per acre but takes 2 to 3 applications throughout the year depending on the timing of the rains.

If the grass burrs get a chance to make a head then they win and next year is back to square one. My farmer buds tell me it takes 7 to 9 years to get to 99% clean. Apparently seeds have evolved to have different moisture and temperature germination triggers. Therefore, seeds can lay dormant while others decide now is the moment.

Re: Best Grass Seed for Anderson County - Centipede or Bermuda ? [Re: HOF] #6724808 04/04/17 01:43 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Fortunately, we don't have the bur problems in Blackland prairie or Sandy loam mix I have. Johnson grass, and crabgrass will get out of control. It makes lots of hay, but I hate seeing it. My place was so stressed it was covered in spear grass before I bought it. I knew there was Bermuda there, I just had to give it a fighting chance. I'm on the uphill now. Once the Bermuda gets healthy it will reign. I love it!

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Best Grass Seed for Anderson County - Centipede or Bermuda ? [Re: J.G.] #6724897 04/04/17 02:56 PM
HOF Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Johnson grass and the "clump" grasses are my second nemesis after the grasburrs. The Johnson grass spreads through its roots and via seed. The clump grasses have roots literally 6 feet deep. Small areas I've spot sprayed for the past 5 years are finally cleaning up. It is amazing how many times it comes back before finally giving up. I'm expanding the spot spraying this year. Seems like the never ending story.

Re: Best Grass Seed for Anderson County - Centipede or Bermuda ? [Re: HOF] #6724909 04/04/17 03:07 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Yessir. In order to get rid of it for good, you have to stay vigilant. Generally speaking 12 months a year I have a pump can loaded with 2 oz/ gallon of Round-Up on stand by. I view those weeds the same as hogs or coyotes, I am ALWAYS hunting and killing them.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide