5840625 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6696200 - 03/05/17 07:19 PM After season
bill oxner Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Richmond
What are you doing with your dogs until next season? I may make a few runs on wild birds. There is a NSTRA trial up at Navasota but they may have to cancel because of lack of interest. I walk mine every morning.

#6696289 - 03/05/17 08:13 PM Re: After season [Re: bill oxner]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
I just run Jenny and her mutt buddy Daisy (more accurately, I let them out of their already big pen and let them run themselves). I am amazed to see that the mutt is actually faster than Jenny. I didn't think that was possible, but it's the fact.

They run my 10 acres like wild banshees, sniff every nook and cranny and then go back in the pen about 15 minutes later. Jenny gets a few trips to the farm during offseason which she loves.

This is Daisy the speed demon:

#6696294 - 03/05/17 08:16 PM Re: After season [Re: bill oxner]
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline
Tracker

Loc: Rowlett, Texas
If I can get the weather right, I will probably do a couple of preserve hunts on the weekends. It probably does me better than the dogs. Hopefully, I will get my female Setter bred to my male. A litter of pups would be fun to deal with again. I certainly had hunting withdrawals this past weekend.

#6696521 - 03/05/17 11:28 PM Re: After season [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter]
The Point Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Rowlett, TX
Originally Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter
If I can get the weather right, I will probably do a couple of preserve hunts on the weekends. It probably does me better than the dogs. Hopefully, I will get my female Setter bred to my male. A litter of pups would be fun to deal with again. I certainly had hunting withdrawals this past weekend.

cheers

#6696644 - 03/06/17 07:34 AM Re: After season [Re: bill oxner]
CinchMan Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Country Past The City Limit Si...
I'll run in the NSTRA trials in our Lonestar Region (north Texas area), I also plan on going to all 3 Ronnie Smith Seminars, Foundation, Intermediate and Advanced, this spring. I have a Brittany pup coming from Ronnie in May.

I'll keep running my dogs as frequently as possible to keep them in shape and after the seminars, start whoa breaking my pointer pup.

I'm also trying to get up to Ardmore sometime this week to see the American Brittany Club's US Open Championship, its going on all week and there are some VERY nice dogs up there.

#6696712 - 03/06/17 08:29 AM Re: After season [Re: CinchMan]
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: CinchMan
I'll run in the NSTRA trials in our Lonestar Region (north Texas area), I also plan on going to all 3 Ronnie Smith Seminars, Foundation, Intermediate and Advanced, this spring. I have a Brittany pup coming from Ronnie in May.

I'll keep running my dogs as frequently as possible to keep them in shape and after the seminars, start whoa breaking my pointer pup.

I'm also trying to get up to Ardmore sometime this week to see the American Brittany Club's US Open Championship, its going on all week and there are some VERY nice dogs up there.

Are you running or judging in the NSTRA quad regional?

#6697322 - 03/06/17 04:11 PM Re: After season [Re: bill oxner]
CinchMan Offline
Pro Tracker

Its the quad regional, I'm running.

#6698662 - 03/07/17 05:56 PM Re: After season [Re: bill oxner]
THF Celebrity

Anyone having trouble filling up your field trials? It's my understanding that the three Texas NSTRA regions could become one.

#6699125 - 03/08/17 07:18 AM Re: After season [Re: bill oxner]
reeltexan Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Ovilla - TEXAS

I walk mine everyday too. They will run the creek a couple of times a week and we'll go to the farm regularly.

For the pup, it's about letting her be a pup right now, but I'll continue her yard work. We will start serious whoa training next October.

We have a new place to hunt near Quannah. Plenty of birds on a really big place. Already anticipating getting them out there next season for a couple of hunts.

"Count that day lost whose low, descending sun
Is not, in part, obscured by powder from my gun"
B. Spiller

#6700378 - 03/09/17 08:00 AM Re: After season [Re: bill oxner]
Wacm Offline
Tracker

Loc: Wimberley, Tx
Mine is with me anywhere I can take her. We have 10 acres but it's not enough to let her out there. When she gets crazy I hop in the ranger and we run up and down a maze of dirt roads. Her pads are not able to hold up to so much of this but we do it when she really needs to run. I take her to the huge field a few times a week and she does a few huge laps. She is starting to mellow out a bit. She can come into small stores with me if I half hitch the leash at her waist. My boy and her play in the yard quite a bit.
I'm still feeding her some pretty high protein. I'm trying to feed less instead of a lower protein food. I worry since she's not as active she might not be utilizing the food and that might cause problems. So far she seems ok though.

#6701419 - 03/10/17 07:31 AM Re: After season [Re: bill oxner]
CinchMan Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Anyone having trouble filling up your field trials? It's my understanding that the three Texas NSTRA regions could become one.

The only trouble we are having is when they schedule a trial during hunting season or the weekend afterwards, other than that we really haven't had too much trouble filling them.

#6701520 - 03/10/17 09:32 AM Re: After season [Re: CinchMan]
THF Celebrity

The only trouble we are having is when they schedule a trial during hunting season or the weekend afterwards, other than that we really haven't had too much trouble filling them.

It's a shame. NSTRA was formed by a group of bird hunters in Indiana looking for something to do with their pointing dogs before and after season. We once had 4 trials in Katy before and after season. I sponsored one before and one after season in a field across the road. No we have none that I can go to without at least one overnight stay. There are very few young people left in our region.

#6701831 - 03/10/17 03:46 PM Re: After season [Re: bill oxner]
CinchMan Offline
Pro Tracker

It's a shame. NSTRA was formed by a group of bird hunters in Indiana looking for something to do with their pointing dogs before and after season. We once had 4 trials in Katy before and after season. I sponsored one before and one after season in a field across the road. No we have none that I can go to without at least one overnight stay. There are very few young people left in our region.

That's because this sport is incredibly hard for a young person to get into. I'm 28 and its been really tough.

#6701923 - 03/10/17 05:27 PM Re: After season [Re: bill oxner]
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Houston/Sealy
Tough how?

#6703159 - 03/12/17 10:34 AM Re: After season [Re: bill oxner]
shooterwalter Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Poetry, Texas Kaufman County 8...
I will keep working my young dogs until it gets too hot. I have quail for a while longer.

They love to run my 50 acre field

Come see us if you need a place to work your dogs

walter

QUAIL Dog Training, Live Quail for sale

Guided/Unguided Quail Hunting

www.TargetCamDallas.com

2,500 yd.Live Video Spotting Camera

Pistol Range - 700 Yard Range

CLOSE TO DALLAS

Take a youth shooting 214-728-2755

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide