Print Thread
Finding where turkeys roost? #6680494 02/19/17 10:37 PM
S
spg Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
I hunt in George West (primarily deer) where its mostly mesquite and brush as you would imagine, with 3 big pastures. We have lots of turkey and want to try and hunt them, whats the nest way to find out where they roost?

Re: Finding where turkeys roost? [Re: spg] #6680549 02/19/17 11:26 PM
C
Cajun Raider Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Owl calling at night in the general area of turkeys will help you pinpoint them. Set up the next morning 30-60 minutes before sun up and gently cackle call sporadically. If they land and go out a different direction then you will need to adjust to intercept them. They are creatures of habit and will usually travel the same directions.

Don't talk the talk if you didn't walk the walk.
Re: Finding where turkeys roost? [Re: spg] #6680969 02/20/17 09:53 AM
S
SpoonPlatoon Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Find big trees near water (creeks etc) go at dusk or dawn and try to get a response.

[Linked Image]
Re: Finding where turkeys roost? [Re: spg] #6681002 02/20/17 12:32 PM
G
Gamblinman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
While locating the roost is an overall part and plan to the hunt, finding their travel corridor can be as, or even more important. You want to be where turkeys want to be, and you want to set-up away from the roost. Let that roost be a sanctuary. I try to have 2 set-ups along their travel corridor, one early, and a secondary one...just in case.

" I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to."
Re: Finding where turkeys roost? [Re: spg] #6682104 02/21/17 05:57 AM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Easiest game to call including turkey are the ones that want to be where you are at or you are between where they are and where they want to be. Pretty simple in words but takes some scouting to figure it out.

For the roost, this time of the year it is pretty easy to find, just go out there 45 minutes before sunrise and listen, they will greet the day with gobbles and on a clear still morning those with good hearing can hear them from well over a half mile. Loud noises can get them going and get a shock gobble during the day as well. I have heard them shock gobble to lots of noise, truck horn, truck door slam, donkey, bull, coyote, crow, owl, shotgun... about any loud noise in the Spring can get a gobbler to let you know where they are. Turkeys like to feed in fields and open so keep your binos handy and ears open and you can often figure out where they go from the roost and like someone said they will often make the same or close to the same circuit during the day. Had a flock of about 30 one year that would hit one feeder between 3 and 3:15 every afternoon. Feeders are turkey magnets and lead some to call them corn buzzards.

Turkeys will be more vocal on the roost with loud talking but they are flock birds and communicate almost constantly with quite purrs, clucks, yelps...

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Finding where turkeys roost? [Re: spg] #6682122 02/21/17 07:00 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
They roost on our place in several places but I have never tried to hunt those. I have my best luck 10 am to 2 pm either sitting and waiting or running and gunning calling frequently.

Re: Finding where turkeys roost? [Re: Txduckman] #6682206 02/21/17 01:22 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
They roost on our place in several places but I have never tried to hunt those. I have my best luck 10 am to 2 pm either sitting and waiting or running and gunning calling frequently.

Calling turkeys in to us hunters is going against nature in some ways since the hen usually goes to the Gobbler. Especially early in the season you will hear about the gobblers being henned up and not going to the calls. Well by 10 or so the gobblers start looking for other hens a lot of the time and will often come to your calls. Running and gunning is a fun way to hunt but often I will take a nap if the gobblers get with the hens when they come off the roost then wake up around 10 or so and start calling again from the same place or move is it seems like the thing to do.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Finding where turkeys roost? [Re: kmon11] #6683272 02/22/17 06:18 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: kmon1
Originally Posted By: Txduckman

Calling turkeys in to us hunters is going against nature in some ways since the hen usually goes to the Gobbler. Especially early in the season you will hear about the gobblers being henned up and not going to the calls. Well by 10 or so the gobblers start looking for other hens a lot of the time and will often come to your calls. Running and gunning is a fun way to hunt but often I will take a nap if the gobblers get with the hens when they come off the roost then wake up around 10 or so and start calling again from the same place or move is it seems like the thing to do.

Ain't that the truth. They still come in but hang up at 60 yards laughing at us. I have called in plenty of hens only to have the tom sit and watch until she wonders off.

Re: Finding where turkeys roost? [Re: spg] #6684215 02/23/17 12:36 AM
V
Vern1 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
V
During this time of year, with the trees still mostly bare, they are pretty easy to silhouette against the sky as they go to roost just at dark.

There are about 4-5 places the turkeys roost around my small farm.
All but one are right along or just outside the perimeter fence with about 3/4 mile running right along the creek.

The one in the middle is in deep woods on high ground with a lot of briars along the ground.
It's only 200 yards to a stock tank but they seem to use it less than the others.

The ones along the perimeter and outside are right on or very close to the creek centerline.
The creek has some water holes 5-6 months of of the year and they roost along the creek almost exclusively during that time.
The stock tank in that pasture is between 100 and 500 yards from the roosts on the creek so even when there is no water in creek, they can head to the stock tank.

These roosts are arranged in an arc along the creek and form a sort-of-half-circle around my feeders.
The feeders are located on different stock tanks closer to the house and about 3/4 mile from the creek.
The turkeys are usually easier to intercept as they usually only walk two trails from the creek to the feeder.

Notice I said usually.

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: Finding where turkeys roost? [Re: spg] #6685023 02/23/17 06:52 PM
S
spg Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
This is South Texas, mesquite, cactus, and brush. Don't have creeks and white oaks. We have two ponds, and 6 water troughs through out the property. I see turkeys during deer season, most of the time they're a problem at feeders. Never really hunted them but my son is taking interest.

Re: Finding where turkeys roost? [Re: spg] #6687427 02/26/17 02:17 PM
L
LittleD Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
Originally Posted By: spg
This is South Texas, mesquite, cactus, and brush. Don't have creeks and white oaks. We have two ponds, and 6 water troughs through out the property. I see turkeys during deer season, most of the time they're a problem at feeders. Never really hunted them but my son is taking interest.
Fill a feeder and run a camera to see if the turkeys are going to frequent your ranch during the spring. If there are no roost sites on the ranch and they have to roost a ways off, it may take them several hours to make there way to your place .You mentioned water.If you have the only water around for a good ways that will be a good spot to check for sign .Turkeys need water in that Texas heat.

Danny
Re: Finding where turkeys roost? [Re: Cajun Raider] #6694393 03/04/17 02:36 AM
R
Reydonpete Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted By: Cajun Raider
Owl calling at night in the general area of turkeys will help you pinpoint them. Set up the next morning 30-60 minutes before sun up and gently cackle call sporadically. If they land and go out a different direction then you will need to adjust to intercept them. They are creatures of habit and will usually travel the same directions.

This is how I've always located Roost location after dark, then came back just before daylight

Re: Finding where turkeys roost? [Re: Reydonpete] #6715692 03/26/17 10:40 PM
C
chrswr Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Originally Posted By: Reydonpete
Originally Posted By: Cajun Raider

This is how I've always located Roost location after dark, then came back just before daylight

Owl calling? Explain please for this new turkey hunter

Re: Finding where turkeys roost? [Re: spg] #6715773 03/26/17 11:52 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I like to drive around at night with a spotlight. When I see a good roost I sneak up under them, climb up, and feel around until I find the fattest bird. I then grab him by the legs, pull him down and cut his head off. This takes a lot of the guess work out of which bird to kill if you feel each breast carefully. You also don't get any shot in the meat. To heck with all of that calling and camo.

Re: Finding where turkeys roost? [Re: scalebuster] #6715789 03/27/17 12:05 AM
G
Gamblinman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
I like to drive around at night with a spotlight. When I see a good roost I sneak up under them, climb up, and feel around until I find the fattest bird. I then grab him by the legs, pull him down and cut his head off. This takes a lot of the guess work out of which bird to kill if you feel each breast carefully. You also don't get any shot in the meat. To heck with all of that calling and camo.

I'd like to try a little bit of what you've been smoking. Have any extra?

" I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to."
Re: Finding where turkeys roost? [Re: spg] #6715896 03/27/17 01:22 AM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Our turkeys roost on high line wires and poles. Come on out and we will show you where they roost.

Last edited by BenBob; 03/27/17 01:23 AM.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide