Print Thread
Best scouting monocular for hogs and coyotes #6682773 02/21/17 09:43 PM
B
bbankhead Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
I am looking at getting a monocular for scouting hogs and coyotes. Most of the land will be open wheat fields and CRP, not much brush or trees in the way. I would like for the monocular to be able to detect the hog or coyote out to about 600 to 700 yards and be able to recognize what it is for sure at about 200 to 300 yards. I am open to either thermal or night vision, but I am leaning towards a thermal based on other threads/reviews that I have read, but was curious if anyone has any real world experience with a thermal monocular for this scenario. I would like to keep the budget around $2,500 or below. The main thing is that I don’t want to spend that much money and be disappointed with the monocular. I currently have a Gen 1 night vision monocular and on a full moon night, I can see good enough to tell there is something out there for about 200 to 300 yards. My plan would be to be able to detect something is out there at the 600 to 700 yard mark and then stalk up closer to recognize what it is and then stalk even closer for the shot. Most of my shots are within 100 yards with my scope/green light combo. Thanks for the help.

Re: Best scouting monocular for hogs and coyotes [Re: bbankhead] #6682787 02/21/17 09:53 PM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Keep your eyes open for a Pulsar Quantum XD50A at that price - it'll do what you are looking to do

BUT

You're going to need to spend a good sum of time behind the optic to correlate common animal behavior to assist ID past 200 yards.

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Best scouting monocular for hogs and coyotes [Re: bbankhead] #6683350 02/22/17 01:26 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I have an XD50S and I can ID pretty easily out to about 500 yards. You'll learn to tell the difference between deer and hogs pretty quickly. What gets difficult for me is inside 250 yards it can be hard to get your depth perception right and telling the difference between say a big raccoon and a small hog because of their body shapes. It helps to have a reference for your distance, once you get that down it becomes much easier.

Re: Best scouting monocular for hogs and coyotes [Re: bbankhead] #6684061 02/22/17 10:40 PM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Here are some still images I took with the (not yet released) Pulsar Helion XQ30F. It's going to be $2,499, 384x288, 17 microns, 50Hz, 2.5-10x magnification and a 985 yard detection range. It also has Pulsar's new Stream Vision, which allows for connecting to your phone/tablet via wi-fi, built in video recording and still picture saving.

The human target in this images is standing at exactly 150 yards and is about 6ft tall. If you will look off past the person to the left you will see the faint image of a square. That is a 2x2 steel target hanging at 250 yards.

Hoping these pics will help you a little. This definitely lets you get an idea for what you are going to be seeing at around 150-200 yards. If you've got any questions, feel free to ask, I'll do my best to answer them.

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
The Late Night Vision Show - Co-Host
[Linked Image]
Night Vision, Thermal & Accessories
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Best scouting monocular for hogs and coyotes [Re: bbankhead] #6684096 02/22/17 11:12 PM
MDMORROW Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
The new pulsar products are going likely be unbelievable for the price. The fellows at Pulsar are supposed to bring these units up to the ranch next month for a pig hunt. I'll report back once I've actually used them but Pulsar stuff is usually very good and priced pretty fair.

[Linked Image]
Re: Best scouting monocular for hogs and coyotes [Re: bbankhead] #6693980 03/03/17 08:47 PM
B
bbankhead Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
Anybody have prices on the new Helion line?

I am interested in these three:

Helion XQ19F
Helion XP28
Helion XQ38F

Re: Best scouting monocular for hogs and coyotes [Re: bbankhead] #6702940 03/12/17 03:50 AM
T
TexasLobo Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I would like a thermal monocular for scouting and possibly thermal or 3rd Generation weapon mount. If money were no object, I'd get thermal for both.

Any folks on here care to comment on pros and cons of thermal vs NVG for mounting on a rifle?

Re: Best scouting monocular for hogs and coyotes [Re: bbankhead] #6703365 03/12/17 06:50 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
You'll see things with a Thermal you wouldn't even know we're there with NV.

If you can only afford to spend extra coin one time, buy the Thermal monocular and get a NV scope.

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Best scouting monocular for hogs and coyotes [Re: TexasLobo] #6703959 03/13/17 01:38 PM
MDMORROW Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: TexasLobo
I would like a thermal monocular for scouting and possibly thermal or 3rd Generation weapon mount. If money were no object, I'd get thermal for both.

Any folks on here care to comment on pros and cons of thermal vs NVG for mounting on a rifle?

Thermal Pros:

Amazing ability to detect heat
Useable in daylight and effective
Digital and can have other data and multiple pallets, etc.
Ability to record or output video

Termal Cons:
Not as much identification clarity as high dollar NV

NV Pros:
High end gen 3 is good for positive identification

NV Cons:
Detection is very difficult compared to thermal
Needs an illuminator usually
No data overlay or ability to record to a dvr
Cost compared to thermal, high end gen 3 scopes are as much or more than a lot thermals.

[Linked Image]
Re: Best scouting monocular for hogs and coyotes [Re: MDMORROW] #6704308 03/13/17 08:43 PM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: MDMORROW

Thermal Pros:

Termal Cons:

NV Pros:

NV Cons:

Cost compared to thermal, high end gen 3 scopes are as much or more than a lot thermals.

I wholeheartedly agree with that assessment. Very well said.

There is a reason that Gen2/Gen3 is becoming much less popular every day within the hunting community and MDMORROW's pro/con list shows why. I'm not saying Gen2/Gen3 doesn't have it's benefits or uses, but the pros of thermal, along with it's steady price decrease makes is much more attractive all the time.

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
The Late Night Vision Show - Co-Host
[Linked Image]
Night Vision, Thermal & Accessories
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Best scouting monocular for hogs and coyotes [Re: MDMORROW] #6704324 03/13/17 09:04 PM
H
Hunter-Steve Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H

Thermal Pros:

Termal Cons:

NV Pros:

NV Cons:

One additional NV Con: Should not be used in daylight

Re: Best scouting monocular for hogs and coyotes [Re: Hunter-Steve] #6706920 03/16/17 04:19 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Hunter-Steve

Thermal Pros:

Termal Cons:

NV Pros:

NV Cons:

One additional NV Con: Should not be used in daylight

Only applies to tubed NV.

Sensor based NV scopes with magnification can be used in daylight and are often marketed for use as a day-capable optic.

Re: Best scouting monocular for hogs and coyotes [Re: bbankhead] #6706950 03/16/17 05:01 PM
MDMORROW Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
That is true. Such as the Sightmark Photon and ATN X-Sight II. They're decent for what they are but I think the OP was really asking more about traditional night vision of which is not useable during the day typically.

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide