Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What's everyone thoughts on bobcats? #6675420 02/15/17 01:33 PM
daniel1381 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
I never pass on yotes or hogs. Should I leave the bobcats alone?

"From my cold dead hands"

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

Benjamin Franklin

Re: What's everyone thoughts on bobcats? [Re: daniel1381] #6675463 02/15/17 02:17 PM
V
Vern1 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
V
Never pass on yotes or hogs.
Shot a few bobs in the past and they are almost too easy.
Now, I just watch them.
Had a mom raise two kittens in a creek bottom near one of my feeders.
Had a few good shows of her stalking the rabbits that came to the feeder, both in person and on game camera.
In the picture below, you can see the reflection of the rabbit's eye to the right of feeder leg.

Last edited by Vern1; 02/15/17 02:18 PM.

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: What's everyone thoughts on bobcats? [Re: daniel1381] #6675474 02/15/17 02:26 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Yotes and pigs are S.O.S.rifle

.....I give a pass to cats and foxes..... cheers

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: What's everyone thoughts on bobcats? [Re: daniel1381] #6675482 02/15/17 02:32 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Kill them on sight.

Re: What's everyone thoughts on bobcats? [Re: daniel1381] #6675548 02/15/17 03:16 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I pass on bobcats and foxes. Too much fun to watch, and also, wife will cut me off if I kill them. Coyotes, hogs, skunks, and raccoons do not get the same considerations.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: What's everyone thoughts on bobcats? [Re: daniel1381] #6675549 02/15/17 03:16 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
On my place, coyotes and bobcats get a pass. On the places were I do hog control, I do what the landowner says, which has been always kill coyotes and sometimes kill the bobcats.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: What's everyone thoughts on bobcats? [Re: daniel1381] #6675592 02/15/17 03:43 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I have shot bobcats from time to time, but prefer watching them. Pretty cool creatures.

I got an interesting perspective on yotes from a rancher I work with. He is a veterinarian and very active in national cattle organizations, will soon be president of one. He runs about 6,000 head. Yotes are not a concern to him and he knows folks will disagree with him. They take out the weak, not the healthy. In his many years of ranching he feels yotes just haven't been a problem....and I tell you he has a lot of them. Flip side, he says there needs to be a balance. No yotes means many things such as rabbits survive more often. For him, rabbits are a significant issue in causing damage to his pastures. I don't know enough to comment on all that, but this is a highly regarded rancher and veterinarian whose family has been ranching in Texas since the early 1800's. I figger he knows better than me... I still shoot the yotes though...

Re: What's everyone thoughts on bobcats? [Re: dfwroadkill] #6675841 02/15/17 06:24 PM
2hellandback Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
I have shot bobcats from time to time, but prefer watching them. Pretty cool creatures.

I got an interesting perspective on yotes from a rancher I work with. He is a veterinarian and very active in national cattle organizations, will soon be president of one. He runs about 6,000 head. Yotes are not a concern to him and he knows folks will disagree with him. They take out the weak, not the healthy. In his many years of ranching he feels yotes just haven't been a problem....and I tell you he has a lot of them. Flip side, he says there needs to be a balance. No yotes means many things such as rabbits survive more often. For him, rabbits are a significant issue in causing damage to his pastures. I don't know enough to comment on all that, but this is a highly regarded rancher and veterinarian whose family has been ranching in Texas since the early 1800's. I figger he knows better than me... I still shoot the yotes though...

He is absolutely right, take out yotes 100 % in an area and watch it go to crap,,,, Like every thing else,they do have a purpose here...

Last edited by 2hellandback; 02/15/17 06:30 PM.
Re: What's everyone thoughts on bobcats? [Re: daniel1381] #6675944 02/15/17 07:25 PM
old raider Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Gotta let'm walk.

Re: What's everyone thoughts on bobcats? [Re: daniel1381] #6676002 02/15/17 08:19 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Up to this point I haven't been going out specifically to look for predators, so I only see bobcats on game cameras. Hogs are always Shoot 'em All, and coyotes are Shoot if it doesn't mess up the hog hunt, unless they make it really easy and I can't pass up the shot.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: What's everyone thoughts on bobcats? [Re: daniel1381] #6676034 02/15/17 08:47 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I've killed one cat it was smaller than I thought so I would have passed on it if I knew it was small. I will shoot another one but it will have to be a big and pretty cat that I want to mount other than that they will get a pass unless a landowner specifically says kill them if I see them. Coyotes, coons, jack rabbits,hogs, skunks are all shot on sight and have shot a couple foxes but also let a few walk.

Re: What's everyone thoughts on bobcats? [Re: daniel1381] #6681405 02/20/17 06:20 PM
W
WIP Ranch Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
As a rancher I will tell you that if you are not having any varmint problems, leave well enough alone. You shoot all the coyotes, another batch will move in and they might be much more aggressive. I have ranched for 15 years and never had a varmint take down a calf. Dogs are much more of a problem along with buzzards and Mexican vultures. Dos will pack up to hunt, coyotes vary seldom will.

Re: What's everyone thoughts on bobcats? [Re: WIP Ranch] #6682250 02/21/17 02:01 PM
2hellandback Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Originally Posted By: WIP Ranch
As a rancher I will tell you that if you are not having any varmint problems, leave well enough alone. You shoot all the coyotes, another batch will move in and they might be much more aggressive. I have ranched for 15 years and never had a varmint take down a calf. Dogs are much more of a problem along with buzzards and Mexican vultures. Dos will pack up to hunt, coyotes vary seldom will.

WIP you are correct in all my years i have seen yotes pack up twice,,, both times there where no rabbits of any kind and lots of snow,,,, Food was very scarce... they packed up to bring down antelope both times i saw this ! They would take turns running down the weakest animal until the antelope could no longer run !

Last edited by 2hellandback; 02/21/17 02:03 PM.
Re: What's everyone thoughts on bobcats? [Re: daniel1381] #6683730 02/22/17 06:05 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
We ranch small animals as well as cattle. Any coyote or red fox gets whacked. Our trapper has a permit to shoot black-headed vultures. Grey foxes and bobcats get passes. No hogs, thankfully, and we don't have feeders, so coons get to live. As for rabbits, etc., I don't mind letting the 10/22 help control the population when the need arises.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: What's everyone thoughts on bobcats? [Re: daniel1381] #6685109 02/23/17 08:03 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Bobcats and Foxes get a pass from me, Raccoons, yotes and skunks go down.

Re: What's everyone thoughts on bobcats? [Re: GLC] #6685115 02/23/17 08:06 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: GLC
Bobcats and Foxes get a pass from me, Raccoons, yotes and skunks go down.

This, if I shoot a fox or bobcat it'll be mounted.

Re: What's everyone thoughts on bobcats? [Re: daniel1381] #6686394 02/25/17 12:13 AM
T
thermal time Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
In the past have shot a few but now just let them do their thing, fun to watch.

He's a perfect stranger like a cross of himself and a fox.
He's a feeling arranger and a changer of the ways he talks.
He's the unforeseen danger and the keeper of the key to the locks.
Re: What's everyone thoughts on bobcats? [Re: rickym] #6686415 02/25/17 12:32 AM
D
DWADR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
X2

[Linked Image]
Deep Water Decoy Retriever
Re: What's everyone thoughts on bobcats? [Re: daniel1381] #6686521 02/25/17 02:00 AM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Interesting to hear that bobcats are fun to watch, but the same observation isn't made of coyotes. Coyotes can be a hoot to watch. It is cool to watch a coyote systematically mouse a field or to watch the group dynamics of a pack.

The first bobcat I ever killed was in the process of stalking two fawns that had strayed from their mother. It was cool to watch the bobcat until the point at which I needed to shoot it or let it attack the fawns. So, I shot it.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: What's everyone thoughts on bobcats? [Re: 2hellandback] #6690078 02/28/17 04:15 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: 2hellandback
Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill

He is absolutely right, take out yotes 100 % in an area and watch it go to crap,,,, Like every thing else,they do have a purpose here...

+1

I get much more satisfaction from watching wildlife and hearing coyotes. It'll be a sad day if and when they disappear.

My old man has the same philosophy and I grew up appreciating wildlife and not feeling the need to kill or destroy everything that walked, crawled, swam, or flew on my folks ranches. That philosophy definitely changed my perspective of hunting from a very early age and made me appreciate the outdoors. He's been ranching for as long as I can remember and his opinion was "I'm a steward and protector of the land. Killing for the sake of killing is irresponsible. Wild animals have to eat, and they have their place in the world. I'm not going to take the life of an animal unless I can eat it or it poses an immediate threat to my wellbeing or that of my family".

Those are his exact words. And I respect him greatly for it.

Re: What's everyone thoughts on bobcats? [Re: daniel1381] #6701360 03/10/17 12:08 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Yotes, Rattlers and Feral hog's get shot on sight, all others get a pass.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: What's everyone thoughts on bobcats? [Re: daniel1381] #6712534 03/23/17 02:54 AM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
We started our HF place in 2002. At that time we seldom saw bobcats and had tons of coyotes with nearly every one you saw having mange to some degree. Since then, we have kept an active snaring program. It took a few years but by 2006 we stopped seeing coyotes with mange that were caught in our snares. There hasn't been extensive hunting of them outside of our place, just snaring our fence lines. I can tell you there is still and always has been a remarkable amount of coyotes in our area, but now there seem to be less sightings during the day, no mange within a mile or so of me that I have seen or have been told, and a lot more cotton tail rabbits inside our place. The rabbits are a good indicator to me of the varmint population levels. That along with the sighting of fawns. This time of year is when I see the most bobcat and coyotes. Usually I don't call for the bobcats as from what I have seen they will go mostly after the rabbits. The coyotes are a large concern for me. I have talked with some biologist that have told me the mange on the coyote was due to over population in my area and not enough food. I guess our active snaring contributed to a lot of that as the yotes I catch now seem to have healthier bodies(weigh more and better coats)and I have not seen one with mange in a good amount of time. The bobcats get a pass for the most part in the past but if I feel I'm detecting a problem in my area and feel the sightings are too frequent like right now(4 in less than two months) then I'm increasing my hunting/trapping pressure on them wether it be snares, firearms, or live traps. All three work very efficient.

I'm in a different situation than most I guess. I have some animals that I'm trying to raise that can be difficult if I didn't try to protect them. In some cases they are listed as Endangered and we have permits for them that require us to keep a breeding herd. That commitment means I have to control some predators but I do respect that the natural predators have a right and a balance to this area. It's understanding when the control is needed that is hard to accomplish and it's only through working out here every day that you can see it and understand what and when it needs to be done. One bobcat I don't get excited about. When I start seeing less and less cottontail rabbits each week then I know something is up and I need to step up the game a bit more. Those rabbits are a great natural indicator of the predators in my area.

Last edited by Curtis; 03/23/17 11:39 AM.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: What's everyone thoughts on bobcats? [Re: daniel1381] #6712559 03/23/17 03:27 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I have never had a coyote chew thru my tractor or truck wiring. Anything that kills rodents is a friend of mine.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: What's everyone thoughts on bobcats? [Re: daniel1381] #6712567 03/23/17 03:42 AM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Folks who think that bobcats are less of an impact on fawns than coyotes obviously have not read the extensive reasearch that's out there.
They are rough on the turkey populations as well. My predator hunting partner is a wildlife biologist and restocks Eastern wild turkeys into their original range and they put tracking collars on all hens. Bobcats kill more than any other causes.

That said I usually don't take bobcats or fox unless the fur prices are good.
Some of the statements made in the above posts are from conclusions made from observations that may or may not be cause and effect. Some I agree with.... some are a bunch of hooey.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: What's everyone thoughts on bobcats? [Re: daniel1381] #6712595 03/23/17 04:44 AM
R
RockinU Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Judging by both the deer, and coyote populations in Texas, I really don't think coyotes or bobcats are really having that big a population impact anyway. If that's what you need to tell yourself to feel ok about shooting them, then it's all good, I just think you might be fooling yourself if you think you are really doing all that much in favor of the deer.

Everything has it's place in the system, including us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide