Print Thread
Hunting on a high fence lease? #6680086 02/19/17 03:31 PM
F
Fixit Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
F
I have the opportunity to join a lease on a 6000 acre high fenced ranch in central Texas. I have always considered high fence hunting like shooting fish in a barrel. That being said, it's 6000 acres that is not cross fenced. The land owner has never introduced any mutated deer onto the land...just trapped what was already in place. He has sent me pics from several feeders (2016 season) that show a good population. Most bucks are in the120-140 class. It is fairly pricey ($3K/gun) but there is electricity and water at 4 different camp sites. Even though there is no cross fencing, each group of 4-6 hunters are given 1000 acres to hunt. Our group of 4 will be looking at the place next week to do a lot of scouting around. I've never hunted on hf land before and don't really know what to expect?? Any opinions would be highly appreciated!!

Last edited by Randar; 02/19/17 08:40 PM.
Re: Hunting on a high fence lease? [Re: Fixit] #6680096 02/19/17 03:39 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
You will receive many different opinions. It's a personal decision that each has to answer for himself. I'll leave it at that.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Hunting on a high fence lease? [Re: Fixit] #6680097 02/19/17 03:40 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Minimum of 24 guns is still quite a few especially at $20/acre without a cabin. All gonna depend on the property as to whether it is worth it to you and you believe it can with stand that many hunters. If you dont lease it you can rest assured someone else will. As said above, to each his own. Its your money and you should decide whether you think its worth it

Re: Hunting on a high fence lease? [Re: Fixit] #6680103 02/19/17 03:43 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
6000 acres is a lot of land. It would not bother me that it is high fenced. The price tag would concern me more.

Re: Hunting on a high fence lease? [Re: Fixit] #6680106 02/19/17 03:47 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Your going to wish you never opened this thread and asked for opinions. Any minute now the high fence trolls are going to get up on there soap box with ignorant and insulting comments towards hunters legally choosing to hunt a HF ranch.

I don't hunt a HF ranch but if I had an opportunity to hunt one like you describe I would welcome the opportunity. Anyone that has even a small amount of common sense would know that 6000 acres is not shooting animals in a pen. But buckle up your chin strap, the trolling is about to begin.........

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Hunting on a high fence lease? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6680117 02/19/17 03:58 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Your going to wish you never opened this thread and asked for opinions. Any minute now the high fence trolls are going to get up on there soap box with ignorant and insulting comments towards hunters legally choosing to hunt a HF ranch.

I don't hunt a HF ranch but if I had an opportunity to hunt one like you describe I would welcome the opportunity. Anyone that has even a small amount of common sense would know that 6000 acres is not shooting animals in a pen. But buckle up your chin strap, the trolling is about to begin.........

I'm gonna steer clear from here on out, but it's patently unfair to classify opinions you don't agree with as "trolling". Especially when the thread is from an OP openly asking for opinions on the subject.

In fact, one could fairly say you are "trolling" those who share a different opinion by dissing them before a single post expressing same has even been put up.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Hunting on a high fence lease? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6680121 02/19/17 04:03 PM
H
HCHunter28 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Native animals on 6000 acres with 5 other non related groups hunting the property. I don't know how anyone could argue it's any different than lf hunting.

Re: Hunting on a high fence lease? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6680125 02/19/17 04:09 PM
P
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

I'm gonna steer clear from here on out, but it's patently unfair to classify opinions you don't agree with as "trolling". Especially when the thread is from an OP openly asking for opinions on the subject.

In fact, one could fairly say you are "trolling" those who share a different opinion by dissing them before a single post expressing same has even been put up.

Well that's your opinion isn't it counselor?

If you took the time to truly read my post I classified trolling as what you do best; ignorant and insulting comments that defy logic.

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 02/19/17 04:13 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Hunting on a high fence lease? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6680143 02/19/17 04:19 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

If you took the time to truly read my post I classified trolling as what you do best; ignorant and insulting comments that defy logic.

Before one has been posted yet to even classify it as such. The preemptive "dis". That's my point. Might be some of those by people with the other opinion too, you know. Ever considered that? confused2

Re: Hunting on a high fence lease? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6680156 02/19/17 04:32 PM
F
Fixit Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
F
Oops! I know there are plenty of opinions on this subject and I don't want to start any arguments by any means! I guess I'm just trying to convince myself that it would be similar to fair chase considering the size and the non introduction of roided up deer. I've seen those places and it sickens me! A 2 1/2 yr old buck should not struggle just to keep his head up because he has an oak tree growing out of his head!! I know that some trophy hunters pay tons of money for that and some will argue that it's just business. Well, I don't agree with those who prosper at the expense of a miserable animal!! Just my opinion.

The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese..
George Carlin
Re: Hunting on a high fence lease? [Re: Fixit] #6680164 02/19/17 04:40 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
My pretty much "go-to" philosophy in my own personal endeavors is that if I'm struggling to justify being OK with something in my own mind, then I'm not really ever going to be OK/settled about it. 2cents

Re: Hunting on a high fence lease? [Re: Fixit] #6680172 02/19/17 04:54 PM
P
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Randar
Oops! I know there are plenty of opinions on this subject and I don't want to start any arguments by any means! I guess I'm just trying to convince myself that it would be similar to fair chase considering the size and the non introduction of roided up deer. I've seen those places and it sickens me! A 2 1/2 yr old buck should not struggle just to keep his head up because he has an oak tree growing out of his head!! I know that some trophy hunters pay tons of money for that and some will argue that it's just business. Well, I don't agree with those who prosper at the expense of a miserable animal!! Just my opinion.

welcome

Your new here so you don't know the type of thread you've started. This subject is one of the most divisive that appears on this forum. The end result is it eventually gets locked down by the moderators. It's sad we can't have a logical discussion about it without throwing insults at each other, but currently it is what it is.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Hunting on a high fence lease? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6680179 02/19/17 05:00 PM
P
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P

Before one has been posted yet to even classify it as such. The preemptive "dis". That's my point. Might be some of those by people with the other opinion too, you know. Ever considered that? confused2

Yes I have decided to be preemptive calling out the HF trolls. I also keep a list of them. One contacted me the other day about inquiring about an opening on our lease. Wanna guess what my answer was?

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Hunting on a high fence lease? [Re: Fixit] #6680187 02/19/17 05:07 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Randar

6k arces where you are restricted to 1/6 of the place really is no different then hunting any where else with acreage. Especially since it's native deer. But then again I see people on this forum getting slammed for hunting what others consider big money southtexas leases.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Hunting on a high fence lease? [Re: Fixit] #6680188 02/19/17 05:08 PM
F
Fixit Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
F
Your right Marc. Moderator PLEASE delete my post!

The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese..
George Carlin
Re: Hunting on a high fence lease? [Re: Fixit] #6680204 02/19/17 05:24 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Good luck in your decision....you are guaranteed a wide range of views here...which I appreciate....ultimately you have to determine if it is a value to you compared to other options.... welcome

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Hunting on a high fence lease? [Re: Fixit] #6680206 02/19/17 05:29 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Welcome Randar,
Sounds like a neat lease (although pricey), I hope you have good times with good people if you decide to join..
Probably not a bad idea to talk to several current leasers about what to expect from this particular HF ranch, not just the guy that wants your $5000. And read the lease agreement carefully and ask questions, before you join. It would be cool if the land owner was handy to introduce yourself to, good land owner relations make a huge difference.

Last edited by Simple Searcher; 02/19/17 06:34 PM.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Hunting on a high fence lease? [Re: Fixit] #6680239 02/19/17 05:56 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
1)PP I couldn't care less what your answer was. Or that anyone asked.

2)You didn't answer the question.

3)You are the only one who has insulted anyone on this thread.

Have a good day. smile

OP- Good luck with your decision and in the upcoming season! up

Re: Hunting on a high fence lease? [Re: Fixit] #6680267 02/19/17 06:30 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
This is great and I didn't even start it. Randar next thing to ask is if you can use a 223.

Re: Hunting on a high fence lease? [Re: Fixit] #6680284 02/19/17 06:55 PM
G
gtrich94 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
G
I hunt on a HF lease in the hill country that is close to 6000 acres. At the highest count, we had about 24 hunters. Other than opening weekend, Thanksgiving and Christmas, the place is pretty much empty. On our lease, we had lots of deer on camera that just flat out disappeared during the season. We used to joke with the lease manager and ask him where he kept the livestock trailer that must show up every October and haul out all the deer. So at that size, it's definitely not shooting fish in a barrel; especially of you have lots of native cover or up and down terrain.

At 6K acres, is there a full time lease manager or person that lives on the property? If so, you basically have a an area that is behind a locked fence where someone lives on the property. That alone will make's it much more secure than a low fence place where someone could hop over your low fence and steal all your stuff. Is that extra security worth the 5K? That's only something you can answer.

Last edited by gtrich94; 02/19/17 06:57 PM.

Thanks,
Rich
Re: Hunting on a high fence lease? [Re: Fixit] #6680323 02/19/17 07:38 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
The place is big enough that it won't be fishinabarrel. But $5k for 250 acres and hill country genetics? Ouch.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Hunting on a high fence lease? [Re: Fixit] #6680331 02/19/17 07:44 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Sounds extremely high. I hunt on 10K high fence and don't pay near that.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Hunting on a high fence lease? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6680339 02/19/17 07:58 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
My pretty much "go-to" philosophy in my own personal endeavors is that if I'm struggling to justify being OK with something in my own mind, then I'm not really ever going to be OK/settled about it. 2cents

X2

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide