Forums46
Topics538,021
Posts9,731,917
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: krmitchell] #6692895 03/02/17 08:20 PM
M
mrhilliam Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
I'd think javelinas would be the most likely off target animals to be effected. Even if the poison is distributed following all regulations and using the special feeders, if a hog can get into it to feed, I'd wager that a javelina could do the same. I'd hate to see a sudden decrease in the state's population of roving football shaped hoover-linas. They may not be worth much, but they're fun to see.

The idea of wildness needs no defense, it only needs more defenders.
Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: mrhilliam] #6692909 03/02/17 08:46 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: mrhilliam
Isn't that significant in and of itself? I would think that you would want an agency as well regarded as the TPWD to be on the same page as the Ag Commission before putting this plan into action.

TPWD has been studying Sodium Nitrite since at least 2010. They clearly feel it is the better solution. The two departments apparently disagree while taxpayers fund two state entities to solve the same issue. The Department of Agricultures decision to allow the use of Warfarin would cost TPWD. Their game wardens would no doubt have to deal with the mess. I can't imagine this is a happy situation. You are right, it would seem desirable to have the two agencies on the same page.

Last edited by dfwroadkill; 03/02/17 08:47 PM.
Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: mrhilliam] #6692921 03/02/17 09:00 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: mrhilliam
Isn't that significant in and of itself? I would think that you would want an agency as well regarded as the TPWD to be on the same page as the Ag Commission before putting this plan into action.

Don't forget politics. The political realities may dictate that TPWD goes along with the Warfarin Plan, or at least doesn't actively oppose it. Still, to me it's significant that they weren't all in agreement prior to this action being initiated. Not sure that will really matter in the long run.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: krmitchell] #6693635 03/03/17 03:56 PM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
https://www.change.org/p/texas-hog-hunte...8YWY2%2floovJkf

Texas Hog Hunters Association

Mar 3, 2017 — Texas Hog Hunters Association and Wild Boar meat company successfully had an injunction placed against Sid Miller which invalidates his emergency rule for the use of a warfarin based poison to be used against Feral Hogs.

We stand firm on our no poison position and look forward to working with lawmakers in stopping this permanently.

This injunction gives us all until March 30, so we still need to be diligent in our efforts and continue to press Austin and our representatives.

We will have to take this fight to Austin so your help is greatly needed.

Thanks to everyone and please keep sharing and pushing back.

Scott Dover

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: krmitchell] #6693675 03/03/17 04:24 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
The injunction is a small victory, and as noted, temporary. It isn't stopping the use of Kaput at this point because Kaput wasn't even going to be out on the market until May. This just assures it won't be out this month.

The injunction is on technical grounds and doesn't address the more serious concerns. So if Miller can formulate a proper work around and doesn't stupidly try a fast-track method again, we are left with the same serious concerns. It was a moronic poly on Miller's part, but one I don't think he will repeat.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: krmitchell] #6694623 03/04/17 02:30 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
They were and are, but they chose a different path. grin

Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: hopalong] #6694647 03/04/17 03:05 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: hopalong
read this, from australia and done by the jounal of wildlife mngmnt. notice the last paragraph and what it says about

http://www.jstor.org/stable/3809054?origin=crossref&seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

The problem with a study showing how long it takes a dose to metabolize is that the way the feed with warfarin is to be applied in Texas, a pig will continue to eat each day until it dies or becomes too sick to eat.

Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: Sniper John] #6698007 03/07/17 02:09 PM
hopalong Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Originally Posted By: hopalong
read this, from australia and done by the jounal of wildlife mngmnt. notice the last paragraph and what it says about

http://www.jstor.org/stable/3809054?origin=crossref&seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

The problem with a study showing how long it takes a dose to metabolize is that the way the feed with warfarin is to be applied in Texas, a pig will continue to eat each day until it dies or becomes too sick to eat.

the bait only contains .005% warfarin, hogs are basically hyper allergic to the stuff (think a kiddo with peanut allergy, even the remnants of peanut oil etc. can kill them).
seems to me that the dosage is small to protect other species, .oo5% miniscule to the extreme.
like I have said before, this will not be spread all over the state on every ranch, I would like to see some closely monitored test sites first but from what I have learned this stuff is no danger to other species.

as for cleaning them up, buzzards/coyotes/bobcats etc. all have to eat as well and I seriously doubt this bait would harm them.

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA - 903 474 7479 reservations

Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: krmitchell] #6702934 03/12/17 03:44 AM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Here's a new article outlining the issue.

http://www.chron.com/sports/outdoors/art...ue-10995283.php

Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: Palehorse] #6708365 03/18/17 05:17 AM
westexhunt Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
Originally Posted By: Palehorse

Good read. At this point I don't have enough information to condone the use of warfarin to poison hogs but, I hold fire ants and feral hogs in the same regard and while I have enjoyed catching and killing hogs for 20+ years I look forward to the days when we can tell all our old hog killing stories and only remember the good hog killing days instead of the reality of money and livestock lost to these sorry sob's. Kill Em' all.

Last edited by westexhunt; 03/18/17 05:18 AM.
Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: westexhunt] #6711671 03/22/17 10:17 AM
hopalong Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: westexhunt
Originally Posted By: Palehorse

Good read. At this point I don't have enough information to condone the use of warfarin to poison hogs but, I hold fire ants and feral hogs in the same regard and while I have enjoyed catching and killing hogs for 20+ years I look forward to the days when we can tell all our old hog killing stories and only remember the good hog killing days instead of the reality of money and livestock lost to these sorry sob's. Kill Em' all.

like fireants we will never rid ourselves of hogs, EVER. what we have to do is control them and kaput is one way I see of doing that with minimal risk to other wildlife.
we put down chemicals to control ants that have much more potential of harming our pets than warfarin would, ever read what is in fireant granules?

my point in all this has been that we have a method available to landowners (who should have final say in this bs) to control the hog pop. but we have a group of self centered hunters that are fearing that they will lose the ability to hunt pigs, guess what, even with warfarin we will never completely eradicate pigs from Tx.

I have yet to see any group of landowners come out against this bait, why is that? all I see is a group that has a financial interest in keeping the hogs plentiful and this is just bad wrong in my book.

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA - 903 474 7479 reservations

Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: krmitchell] #6711708 03/22/17 11:51 AM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
I have yet to see any group of landowners come out against this bait, why is that? all I see is a group that has a financial interest in keeping the hogs plentiful and this is just bad wrong in my book.

Your logic is interesting, challenged even. Landowners have financial interest as well, so before you go and decide one group is more self centered than the other, understand that it is a two way street.

I haven't seen any group of landowners come out for Warfarin, certainly none willing to file a counter suit to reinstate Warfarin either. Have you?

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 03/22/17 03:19 PM.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide