Page 1 of 2 1 2
Before you knew better #6675287 02/15/17 05:44 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Everyone has to learn the ropes, and it's no different when you're a kid first learning to hunt.

I'm sure most of you have a story or two about a mistake you made as a kid when you were first learning to hunt. Mine was the time when one of the men in camp told me to add some wood to the fire in the fireplace so we would all stay a little warmer, at least for a while as we slept. Unfortunately, I had never been taught the difference between seasoned oak and lighter knot and ended up adding only the later to the fire. Thankfully, those old timers cut me some slack for my mistake. With all the added heat, it sure wasn't a good night for sleeping in a top bunk.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Before you knew better [Re: Texas Dan] #6675300 02/15/17 06:54 AM
Mathp Offline
Tracker
Tracker
When I was 9 or 10 years old my assignment was to get out of bed first and light the fire in a wood burning stove. I had the bright idea to load the stove with wood and placed the lighter on top of the stove so I could get it done and get back in bed until the cabin warmed up! Unfortunately there were some coals from the night before that created a roaring fire in the stove. The lighter heated up to the point that it exploded and one end went just over my father's head and dropped into my his sleeping bag! The other end went over my cousins head and put a hole in the wall! It could have ended badly but ended up just another great story we re-told every year until my father passed! This was '69 or '70. I can't recall exactly what kind of lighter it was but it could have caused serious injury! Those were the days!

https://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj570/mathp/9542e851.jpgIMG]http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj570/mathp/LlanoBucksdownsized_zps6632cebe.jpg[/IMG]
Re: Before you knew better [Re: Texas Dan] #6675311 02/15/17 08:52 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
rofl As pappy once said: keep your head held high & your powder dry ...
First deer rifle was a black powder Kentucky .45 ... Year was in the 70's... My parrd & i been slinger fastdrawing for several years & getting able ta hit cans... We got into black powder, the six shooter .44 & the .45 rifles...
We used em for plinking, trying ya out do each other, see who was better shot, friendly rivalry... When done for the day, clean, light oil & put up for next day... Few dry fires before loading when we 'd take em out...
First year for a deer hunt... Took .45 out set up cans roughly 30-40 yrds, hit can, was well familiar with Kentucky windage... Got back ta house, cleaned rifle like always, run several patches threw... Since it's not considered loaded with powder, patch, & pall seated untill cap is on... With out dry firing, since
didn't run light patch with oil...
Next morning before sun rise we were all set up for our morning sit... Since i was only one using rifle, every one else shotgun with slug, i set up on creek leading into the woods ... Seen one buck at edge of woods... We got together, put on small drive, seen a few does, we had no doe tags... Afternoon sat on hillside, above trails...
Fell asleep, woke up to a as ya'll say troufy buck stairing at me... Slowly put sights on aim squeezed trigger, ka- but no boom ... Didn't get all the moisture out... Deer got away... Tis were got the saying..
Did get a nice 8pointer later that day... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Before you knew better [Re: Texas Dan] #6675923 02/15/17 07:12 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
The "click" on an empty chamber that sounded like a bomb went off and the buck that pranced away while I chambered a round....... hammer

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Before you knew better [Re: Hunt n Fish] #6675957 02/15/17 07:33 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish
The "click" on an empty chamber that sounded like a bomb went off and the buck that pranced away while I chambered a round....... hammer

Did the same, but wasn't a kid - more like 40 at the time. We had been getting reports of a monster buck on place near Talpa. I was hunting with a Rem 700 and got into blind a bit late. We kept the guns unloaded in camp, and I hadn't chambered a round on the walk, so got into the blind, got set up, and almost immediately had does around. I quietly chambered a round, but didn't get it seated while trying to be stealthy. After about 10 minutes the largest buck I had ever seen came to the edge of the clearing - easy 100 yard shot. Raised the rifle, sighted, and....click. Mr. Lucky jumped straight up, turned, and was gone. I was sick.

The good news, about 10 minutes later a 13 point buck came in from the opposite direction. By then I had figured out my mistake, and dropped the 13. The Euro is on the wall above me.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Before you knew better [Re: Texas Dan] #6675965 02/15/17 07:39 PM
C
chalet Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
Mounted a scope to a 30-06, one of the screws in the front base twisted off. I figured what the heck, three would do it. Didn't see hardly any deer that year, final day of season missed a buck standing about 75 yds three times. He never did run, just looked at me like I was stupid and walked off. Took it to the range and was shooting about 2 foot right of where I zero'd. THink I was 20 at the time.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Before you knew better [Re: Texas Dan] #6676001 02/15/17 08:18 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
1980, married 2 years, took wife deer hunting. Had a make shift tent over the bed of my truck consisting of pvc pipe frame and a tarp. Sleeted and snowed all night long, cold as heck, no heater, in the 20's next morning. Just happened to be taking care of a couple of hunters/customers that day too that still had a hang over from the night before. They had been pretty rank the night before. All of this added up to the wifey being just a little bit upset with me.

Re: Before you knew better [Re: Texas Dan] #6676148 02/15/17 10:38 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Year before last.....missed a Giant sika buck because I didn't clear the window of the pop up before I released the arrow.

I can honestly say I never had any "ones that got away" while hunting before that deer. I'm still mad about it

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Before you knew better [Re: Texas Dan] #6676237 02/15/17 11:54 PM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
I've had the click once on a doe. Back in my 20's I was adding a new contour line to the mountain side when a buck came pogostickin by and stopped just to look at me. Soon as I moved he headed for the next county.

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: Before you knew better [Re: Texas Dan] #6676262 02/16/17 12:18 AM
D
DH3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I had a 35 acre place north of Bracketville in the 70's. I had a heavy barreled Ruger Mod 77 that had a defective firing pin (too short). Hunting in drizzling rain watching a gathering of does, a buck stepped out. Click! I was far enough away that he did not hear the sound.
Shaking hands from the cold, I chambered another round.
The 10 pointer is now on my cabin wall.
Ruger gave me some [censored] about having to send the entire rifle back. I sent the bolt,only. My son hunts with that .243 rifle to this day. There has never been another misfire.
You will never forget the click if it ever happens to you.

Old age and treachery beats youth and stupid every time!
Re: Before you knew better [Re: Texas Dan] #6676319 02/16/17 01:05 AM
L
longgunner Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
last year, left the window cracked on the blind and an owl moved in and had eight baby owls. It was a mess.... Took most of the day to clean it out.

Re: Before you knew better [Re: Texas Dan] #6676444 02/16/17 02:30 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
One of dads good friends brought me and his son who was my friend out to their lease in Seymore. Me and dad saw a nice buck the previous evening but dad didn't take the shot so we set dad out in that stand by himself so I would not mess it up and we hunted the opposite side. The three of us sat in the truck on the other side of the field and BSed for the most part until a really nice buck came out. His dad got out and got set up on a bipod in the field and confirmed that was a nice deer. He took the shot and the scope lost sight of the deer. He had placed a 180gr bullet out of a 30-378 weatherby mag directly into the berm in front of him.

[Linked Image]
Re: Before you knew better [Re: Texas Dan] #6676472 02/16/17 02:46 AM
2hellandback Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
buck fever !

Re: Before you knew better [Re: Bee'z] #6676475 02/16/17 02:48 AM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: 2Beez
One of dads good friends brought me and his son who was my friend out to their lease in Seymore. Me and dad saw a nice buck the previous evening but dad didn't take the shot so we set dad out in that stand by himself so I would not mess it up and we hunted the opposite side. The three of us sat in the truck on the other side of the field and BSed for the most part until a really nice buck came out. His dad got out and got set up on a bipod in the field and confirmed that was a nice deer. He took the shot and the scope lost sight of the deer. He had placed a 180gr bullet out of a 30-378 weatherby mag directly into the berm in front of him.

Heard a story like that except someone was standing resting the barrel on the top rail of the bed of a truck shooting across it. Ended up with a hole in the other side of the truck bed. As for the stories of no rounds in the chamber, my dad is known as "Click" Mitchell by the ranchhands down in Encinal after not having a round in the chamber and having a buck walk off afterwards.

Re: Before you knew better [Re: Texas Dan] #6676815 02/16/17 03:01 PM
P
Pope&Young Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
A few years a ago I was rifle hunting one of my ground blinds.
While hunting I heard a shot from across the county road and shortly after I hear talk on the two way radio that this guy shot a buck and to come pick him and the deer up.
About 10 minutes later I hear a 4 ATV headed over to pick up the hunter and his deer.
I hear them hooting and hollering and decided my hunt was over.
I had my rattling horns with and decided to leave my stand and try some rattling.
I open the door and step out leaning my rifle against the stand so that I could lock the stand door.
I look to my right and there was a HUGE buck walking about 75 yards to my right from the direction of the hunters from the other pasture.
I step left grabbed my gun and steadied it against the side of the stand waiting for him to clear the stand to my left... The buck clears and I click my off my safety for the shot.
The click was so loud scared
I have never seen a deer go from 0 to 60 so fast bolt and there was no way I was going to attempt the shot.
If I would have just stayed and hunted that ground blind I would have had my biggest buck to date bang

So... Now when ever I take my safety off it is done very quietly

[Linked Image]
Re: Before you knew better [Re: Texas Dan] #6677047 02/16/17 05:15 PM
S
sbushee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
i began hunting as a kid. My dad didn't hunt but I loved it. In those days we didn't have a DVR. We didn't even have a VCR. I started driving at 12 to hunt by myself so my dad could watch the cowboys on Sunday afternoon. The only hunting advice I got was, "if you shoot a deer, it better have horns." My dad didn't discourage my love of the outdoors and he bought me my first deer rifle, a pre 64 Winchester 30-30 that I have to this day (almost 4 decades later).

Now I take my kids every chance I can, sometimes they don't want to tag along. I think back to my dad and his warning about shooting a deer. It makes me smile still.

I'm sure everyone on this forum takes their kids hunting. They're the future of our lifestyle

Re: Before you knew better [Re: Texas Dan] #6678023 02/17/17 09:47 AM
N
N.La.Beagler Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
I used TINKS 69

Re: Before you knew better [Re: N.La.Beagler] #6678252 02/17/17 03:35 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: N.La.Beagler
I used TINKS 69

rofl Ya do know thats not a collone.... flag

edit: before ya get in a tif bout spelling... As pappy once said: this android makes me look dummer than i realy am... dueling with spell check... :confused2 bang rofl : then, most have me on thar ignorance list ...
scratch kinda back of: before you knew better ... i got cheap posts... flag

Last edited by colt.45; 02/17/17 03:51 PM.

i'm postaddic
Re: Before you knew better [Re: Texas Dan] #6678655 02/17/17 08:54 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
My dad handed me the shotgun when we were dove hunting. a bird came in low and fast from left to right my dad was a few feet to my right. I swung the shotgun from left to right to lead the bird and fired right next to my dads head. Kinda wish I had got him.

Re: Before you knew better [Re: Texas Dan] #6679382 02/18/17 04:25 PM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
My first year hunting I had a big buck come out of the woods at 40 yards. Tried to chamber a round quietly. Needless to say I am always ready now.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Before you knew better [Re: Texas Dan] #6679407 02/18/17 05:02 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
"Before I knew better"....many of my mistakes, I did know better bang

Making mistakes is how you learn, it's repeating them after hunting for 30 years that gets me rofl

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Before you knew better [Re: Texas Dan] #6679567 02/18/17 08:39 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
ex·pe·ri·ence
ˌikˈspirēəns/
noun
practical contact with and observation of facts or events.
"he had already learned his lesson by painful experience"

Short version - Make a mistake & learn from it!

From this you should deduce that when I tell you I have experience, what I'm really saying is I screwed up a lot but I learned something from it! yingyang

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Before you knew better [Re: Texas Dan] #6679979 02/19/17 09:05 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Before I knew better I told my wife EXACTLY coach how I wanted something done. When she took the slack out of that rope tied to the pickup, bolt I became EDUMACATED. When she put the truck in park and got out wife she told me not to ever talk to her that way again. I SAID YEEESSS MAME flehan. I GRADUATED MAGNA DUMB ARSE!!! dunce

Re: Before you knew better [Re: pigplinker] #6680110 02/19/17 03:51 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: pigplinker
Before I knew better I told my wife EXACTLY coach how I wanted something done. When she took the slack out of that rope tied to the pickup, bolt I became EDUMACATED. When she put the truck in park and got out wife she told me not to ever talk to her that way again. I SAID YEEESSS MAME flehan. I GRADUATED MAGNA DUMB ARSE!!! dunce

Looks like it was from the same school as Colt.45? confused2

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Before you knew better [Re: Texas Dan] #6680266 02/19/17 06:30 PM
B
budward Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Leaving the safety off on my shotgun while dove hunting, getting my [censored] woooped by dad.

Re: Before you knew better [Re: pigplinker] #6680341 02/19/17 07:58 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H

Wives don't count! You have to know what you did in order to correct it. Usually they don't tell ya and you have to guess....If you guess wrong you're in worse trouble!

HnF

Re: Before you knew better [Re: Texas Dan] #6681848 02/21/17 12:51 AM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
At a strapping young age of about 10 years old, I decided the little 218 Bee wasn't enough rifle and talked my dad into letting me hunt with his sporterized Springfield 30-06. Dad warned me it had a pretty good kick and it would make me start flinching. I would have nothing of it, and swapped rifles with him one morning. Dad dropped me off at my favorite oak tree and helped me up onto the single 2x6 seat about 12 foot up in the air. The foot rest had long ago rotted away ... Dad drove on over to the next stand. I was sitting there dangling my legs when out walks a nice buck that several of the other hunters had seen but no shot opportunity. broad side walking about 100 yards. I leveled off old "meat in the pot", clicked off the safety, gust of wind hits me just as I squeezed the trigger making me totally unbalanced on my tiny perch, BOOM ... the next thing I know it's a-holes and elbows grabbing for limbs with one hand as I go rolling out of the backside of the tree while hanging on to the rifle, landing flat of my back about 12 feet below, knocking every ounce of oxygen from my lungs. As I lay there gasping for my next breath, I thought about what dad had told me and surmised that his comment about a "pretty good kick" was a HUGE understatement. And the missing foot rest really needed to be put back in place before someone (else) got hurt.

The deer was safe for another day and dad got a good old belly laugh when I started telling him my little adventure.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Before you knew better [Re: PMK] #6681866 02/21/17 01:22 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: PMK
At a strapping young age of about 10 years old, I decided the little 218 Bee wasn't enough rifle and talked my dad into letting me hunt with his sporterized Springfield 30-06. Dad warned me it had a pretty good kick and it would make me start flinching. I would have nothing of it, and swapped rifles with him one morning. Dad dropped me off at my favorite oak tree and helped me up onto the single 2x6 seat about 12 foot up in the air. The foot rest had long ago rotted away ... Dad drove on over to the next stand. I was sitting there dangling my legs when out walks a nice buck that several of the other hunters had seen but no shot opportunity. broad side walking about 100 yards. I leveled off old "meat in the pot", clicked off the safety, gust of wind hits me just as I squeezed the trigger making me totally unbalanced on my tiny perch, BOOM ... the next thing I know it's a-holes and elbows grabbing for limbs with one hand as I go rolling out of the backside of the tree while hanging on to the rifle, landing flat of my back about 12 feet below, knocking every ounce of oxygen from my lungs. As I lay there gasping for my next breath, I thought about what dad had told me and surmised that his comment about a "pretty good kick" was a HUGE understatement. And the missing foot rest really needed to be put back in place before someone (else) got hurt.

The deer was safe for another day and dad got a good old belly laugh when I started telling him my little adventure.

I couldn't have more than eight or nine when I first tried shooting a single-shot 12 gauge. It would be another eight years before I shot the Remington 1100 my dad bought me for my birthday.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Before you knew better [Re: Texas Dan] #6682336 02/21/17 03:13 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Didn't get "kicked" out of tree, but I learned a valuable lesson about strapping yourself in! Up 25 or 30 feet in an old tree on a board stand early one morning wearing insulated overalls, gloves, balaclava, etc. It was that time when you can just see the sun coming up and I was all warm & toasty. Got a little drowsey so I thought WTH I'll just take a short nap.....

Evidently I decided to roll over in my sleep......I woke up about 1/2 way down the tree still falling. I must've hit every branch in that old tree falling from about 25 ft up. Hit & grab, hit & grab. I caught my arm on the last one about 10 ft up. It didn't stop me, but I was able to slow myself down enough & land on my feet. Rifle & pack were still hanging on the branches by the seat. I was sore and felt like I'd been beat with a big stick. Didn't seem to be anything terribly bad & after retrieving my rifle & pack I went back to camp. 4 hours later I was just one great big bruise, but apparently nothing broken...... However, I did have a "Come to Jesus" moment about strapping yourself in! yingyang

HnF

Re: Before you knew better [Re: Hunt n Fish] #6684555 02/23/17 09:27 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P

Wives don't count! You have to know what you did in order to correct it. Usually they don't tell ya and you have to guess....If you guess wrong you're in worse trouble!

I knew within the first 40ft after she took the slack out of the rope that I needed to be in a SAFER position before I gave instructions.

Re: Before you knew better [Re: Texas Dan] #6688716 02/27/17 04:58 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
For a considerable amount of time I didn't believe a 223 would kill deer/hogs.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Before you knew better [Re: Texas Dan] #6689443 02/28/17 02:32 AM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Give a deer time to die. About 20 years ago I walked up on a buck I'd shot too soon. He jumped up and took off. It took 4 hours to find that deer once he was pushed. Now, no matter how good a shot I think or know it was, I'll sit there and have a cup of coffee or a coke before walking up on a "dead" deer.

Oh,and if you're going to cut a "dead" buck out of a barbed wire fence, draw your knife before grabbing his antlers. They'll beat the tar out of you. Just sayin'.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Before you knew better [Re: Texas Dan] #6690098 02/28/17 04:28 PM
K
Kevin Heath Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
First time I shot off of a strange horse.

Some days you're the pigeon, other days you are the statue!
Re: Before you knew better [Re: Hunt n Fish] #6694602 03/04/17 01:52 PM
D
DryFire Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D

This is why my username is what it is...

Re: Before you knew better [Re: DryFire] #6695236 03/05/17 01:45 AM
T
txmudder Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: DryFire

This is why my username is what it is...

lol35

You should have been here yesterday!
Re: Before you knew better [Re: Kevin Heath] #6696755 03/06/17 03:00 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: Kevin Heath
First time I shot off of a strange horse.

Did it run, jump, or both.....and did you stay on? violin

HnF

Re: Before you knew better [Re: Texas Dan] #6696784 03/06/17 03:13 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
I found out how expensive it is to call to call out a wrecker to the river bottoms at a lease in the middle of nowhere. If I'd just have manned up and drug the buck I'd shot to higher ground would have been a much much cheaper recovery. bang

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide