Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6675498 02/15/17 02:40 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I can remember the first time somebody brought an old TV to camp. We didn't think much about it at the time. But, looking back, it changed deer camp from that point forward - and not for the better.

We had a tv in camp from almost day one and we may have turned it on 5 times in 10 years

We did/do nap and read a lot during the mid day though

I think the size of the place affects your mid day activities as much as anything

When we hunted in east Texas we shot a .22 or fished during the middle of the day. Place wasn't big enough to really joy ride around.

On bigger places out west or down south we will stay out all day and never see the same place twice

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Texas Dan] #6675537 02/15/17 03:06 PM
G
gary roberson Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
My deer camp has not changed much; still no running water or electricity and certainly no indoor plumbing or outhouse. I have killed a few rats and mice in it since finding two rattlesnakes one evening. I can't understand why my bride doesn't want to accompany me for more than a day trip...
Adios,
Gary

Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Texas Dan] #6676163 02/15/17 10:50 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
My first deer camps were me freezing my [censored] off and never seeing a deer. Sleeping on the ground under a tarp or in the back of a pickup bed. There were no mentors to show me what's what so it was a learning experience to say the least. I wouldn't go back to those days if you paid me.

I like my double slide travel trailer, utv's, cell phone coverage all out in the middle of nowhere 9 miles from the pavement. I don't miss the old days at all!

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 02/15/17 10:51 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Texas Dan] #6676430 02/16/17 02:23 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Very good topic and good memories. This is going to be my first year getting back into hunting. No running water, no place to stay and just old fashioned hunting on 150 acres. I am looking forward to it and taking my grandfathers rifle and will do the best I can to replicate how he would have done things. Great thread cheers

[Linked Image]
Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Texas Dan] #6676510 02/16/17 03:21 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
We hunted out of a canvas tent with no floor for years. Mule deer Season at least 7 days with no shower or any running water or electricity. We were 8 miles from the highway on the Rio Grande. Cooking was done over the fire or Coleman stove.

We have a much better setup now. A nice house to sleep in and all the comforts of home.

The only benefit I can think of to primitive camping is that no one ever brought their wife along.

Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Texas Dan] #6676621 02/16/17 09:55 AM
R
redhaze Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
My first deer camp was in the Black Range Mountains in southern New Mexico. We used a canvas lean to and some others had the large canvas tents. I remember spilling a cup of coffee on a chair one morning and before I could wipe it off, it froze. Those were fond memories of hunting with uncles and cousins. No aunties were around, not sure why.....lol. Scouting was done in same fashion, riding in the back of a Chevy 2500 with high side boards packed with all of the camping equipment and about a dozen of us "scouts". We pulled a tarp up over us because of the wind and cold travel. We always left after the Friday night home football game and came back in on Sunday tired, dirty and full of stories. Yep, good ole days.

Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Texas Dan] #6676879 02/16/17 03:36 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Hunted for years out of a tent with no heater. Couldn't possibly do that now. Hardly ever saw deer, much less get a shot off. These are the "good ol' days".

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Texas Dan] #6681056 02/20/17 01:35 PM
T
TXHunterKLewis Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
As a new hunter I have no frame of reference from "The Good Old Days" except what I read and hear from all you old time hunters. I am not a young guy myself (48), but have just started hunting. Matter of fact, my first offical hunt starts in March of this year. (Hog Hunting)

However, I can only imagine 30 years from now what is going to be the gripes.

"Man... I remember when all we had was Trail Cameras and we had to walk for hundreds of yards to get to our Blind so we could actually shoot the Hog by the Feeder. You hunters today don't know just how hard we had it. Now? Pfft... all you young guys got it easy. You sit there and monitor the fields from a drone that transmits the images to your watch. Then, you push a button on your watch and the oats you put out as feed erupt and kill the Hog automatically. Hell, you don't even have to go out and fetch the thing. Hit the button on the other side of the watch and the drone drops down and takes it to the House already cleaned and chopped up into meat."

V/R,

Kevin
Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: TXHunterKLewis] #6681890 02/21/17 01:44 AM
old raider Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
It only gets better for me.

Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: TXHunterKLewis] #6681942 02/21/17 02:26 AM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
Originally Posted By: TX.Hunter.K.Lewis
"Man... I remember when all we had was Trail Cameras and we had to walk for hundreds of yards to get to our Blind so we could actually shoot the Hog by the Feeder. You hunters today don't know just how hard we had it. Now? Pfft... all you young guys got it easy. You sit there and monitor the fields from a drone that transmits the images to your watch. Then, you push a button on your watch and the oats you put out as feed erupt and kill the Hog automatically. Hell, you don't even have to go out and fetch the thing. Hit the button on the other side of the watch and the drone drops down and takes it to the House already cleaned and chopped up into meat."
Interesting hypothetical, though for law and order purposes and I don't think that oats will be weaponized. That's not really hunting at all, though, is it?

Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: chital_shikari] #6682315 02/21/17 02:56 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: chital_shikari
Originally Posted By: TX.Hunter.K.Lewis
Interesting hypothetical, though for law and order purposes and I don't think that oats will be weaponized. That's not really hunting at all, though, is it?

Hmmmm.........Maybe they can make the Oats "specie specific". loser8

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide