therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: jshouse
Originally Posted By: therancher
JSHouse you are certainly one conflicted dude on this subject. Your words:

"catching poachers is probably his most important task."

You are trying to disagree with me, when that is exactly what I said.

Definition of poacher:
1. a person who hunts or catches game or fish illegally.

One becomes a poacher when one breaks a game law. Sorry to jerk you into such a harsh reality.

ok, I suppose ive been misinterpreting your posts. your tone lead me to believe you think GW's are walking into camps looking to write tickets to people that haven't signed the back of a tag or some other petty infraction, akin to a street cop writing a ticket for failing to signal a lane change. You didn't mis-interpret that. I've stated before that our local GW gave one of my hunters a ticket 3 yrs ago because I pre signed his MLD tag. That's the most ridiculous ticket one of my hunters has received but it's not the only ridiculous one.

sure we can get into semantics, but to me, a poacher is someone that is killing deer at night, killing more than they have tags for, killing from a roadway, killing while trespassing, etc. more like the street cop out looking for drug dealers, he could give a rip about citing for that lane change. I don't know all the offense levels for poaching, but when I think of poaching I think of "someones going to jail," not just getting a ticket.

to be short, I don't think most GW's are out looking for petty infractions so they can write a ticket, but I have never had a "bad" incident either.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: titan2232] #6680970 02/20/17 10:04 AM
S
Someone Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted By: titan2232
Be careful of who you invite to your hunting location is my warning even if you call that Game Warden a "friend".

A simple GPS tracker on the GW's vehicle led another agent to our camp. Once he knew where it was it was his weekly routine to show up and show his arse.

Nobody is perfect and they will find something if they're in the mood 2cents

could you add some clarity to this please

so you are saying one warden that you had a good relationship with and that had GPS tracking on his vehicle (that I assuming they all have now for their overall safety) was "located" by another warden and that second warden decided that the location was your camp that the "friendly" warden was visiting

and from there the other warden decided that your camp would be a fun place to show up and start poking around weekly looking for petty nonsense and generally just nosing around and possibly even ruining hunts or otherwise being unpleasant

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: Someone] #6681036 02/20/17 01:16 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Someone
Originally Posted By: titan2232
Be careful of who you invite to your hunting location is my warning even if you call that Game Warden a "friend".

A simple GPS tracker on the GW's vehicle led another agent to our camp. Once he knew where it was it was his weekly routine to show up and show his arse.

Nobody is perfect and they will find something if they're in the mood 2cents

could you add some clarity to this please

so you are saying one warden that you had a good relationship with and that had GPS tracking on his vehicle (that I assuming they all have now for their overall safety) was "located" by another warden and that second warden decided that the location was your camp that the "friendly" warden was visiting

and from there the other warden decided that your camp would be a fun place to show up and start poking around weekly looking for petty nonsense and generally just nosing around and possibly even ruining hunts or otherwise being unpleasant

Indeed sir

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: HoldPoint] #6685041 02/23/17 07:10 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: HoldPoint
hell I have the game warden's cell phone number and text him from time to time when I'm out at the lease depending on what I'm doing. If I'm going to do any night hunting I definitely let him know.

Same here.

If the landowner is operating legit, I'm not sure why he wouldn't want a GW to know who has permission to be on the property. Am I missing something?

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6685222 02/23/17 09:46 PM
R
rex47 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
if a policeman is not writing tickets some cities and counties think he is NOT working, maybe the same for GW

when the going gets really tough, I sit down and rest
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6685228 02/23/17 09:58 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Of all the LEO"s in the world, the game wardens are the least likely for me to worry about at all....

I am glad I don't go through life worried about them

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #6685412 02/24/17 12:38 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: aerangis
Originally Posted By: HoldPoint
hell I have the game warden's cell phone number and text him from time to time when I'm out at the lease depending on what I'm doing. If I'm going to do any night hunting I definitely let him know.

Same here.

If the landowner is operating legit, I'm not sure why he wouldn't want a GW to know who has permission to be on the property. Am I missing something?

Yeah, the game warden isn't asking about who is supposed to be in the property because he is the gatekeeper for the landowner. The game warden doesn't spend his time making sure nobody is trespassing for all the landowners in the county. It is naive to believe that is the case. The GW has an agenda and he is hiding that agenda from the lease manager\landowner for some reason. Asking for the names and addresses of everybody that is supposed to be on the property is NOT SOP or common. Have you noticed all the other people here who have been in contact with GWs and NOT been asked for such information? So why do you think the GW is hiding his reason for requesting the information?

Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
Of all the LEO"s in the world, the game wardens are the least likely for me to worry about at all....

I am glad I don't go through life worried about them

I am sure few people worry about them. After all, there are so few of them and half the time a considerable number of them are down on the Texas border doing supplemental BP duty.

So if a game warden is contacting you and asking for information, it isn't because he has nothing better to do than to be concerned making sure you don't have trespassers. He is doing an investigation of some sort.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6685688 02/24/17 10:03 AM
G
Gamblinman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
This seems to be an isolated incident at one lease, and not multiple leases. The GW has enough to do without investigating slim leads. He has something (game law violation) or someone in mind already. In this case, I'd ask him to be more specific, rather than wholesale giving him information about all the hunters.

" I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to."
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6688155 02/27/17 02:52 AM
W
World Casing Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
what difference does it make, If you have nothing to hide, then whats the big deal??

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: World Casing] #6688411 02/27/17 01:23 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: World Casing
what difference does it make, If you have nothing to hide, then whats the big deal??

The big deal is that everyone has their right to privacy. LEOs don't need to know everything about everything if there's not a specific reason to know. He should, at the very least, share why that information is needed so the one being asked can have some context. LEOs are not "big brother". They work for us, not the other way around.

That said, I have a great relationship with both the GWs in my county. They know where my place is and are welcome there anytime. They have helped me catch some bad guys and keep watch over my place. I have not met a disrespectful or "bully" type GW in years. In the old days, it seems there were more of the "looking to bust someone" types than there are now.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6689120 02/27/17 09:48 PM
DrifterAT Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A few years back, my bud was stopped exiting a property he was hunting. He had forgotten his license at camp. The GW followed him to camp, checked the license, then proceeded to check every cooler we had. He hung around for a sandwich and gave us the background on the properties around us. He didn't site my bud.

We offered an open invitation for him to stop by anytime but he never returned.

It was an enjoyable experience.

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: Choctaw] #6695113 03/05/17 12:07 AM
A
AvianQuest Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted By: Choctaw

Perhaps this would help him determine if an individual belonged on the property if contacted by the GW.

That would be the biggest value of it. I would certainly want the warden to have that information.

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: AvianQuest] #6695438 03/05/17 08:02 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: AvianQuest
Originally Posted By: Choctaw

Perhaps this would help him determine if an individual belonged on the property if contacted by the GW.

That would be the biggest value of it. I would certainly want the warden to have that information.

That is not the GWs primary job and he is not there to do that. You must have proof first someone is tresspassing. Otherwise they would just hike around their whole life.... He/she doesn't police properties seeing who should be there or not. That is the LOs responsibility. He only checks for game violations but if the LO calls and reports someone who should not be there, he will check and process that individual to the extent of the law. But the LO must report it who is probably watching that person break the law in the first place. I have been checked around ten times and never been asked for a document stating my tresspass rights. They don't care who is where unless LO tells them specifically someone is tresspassing without rights.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide