Forums46
Topics538,036
Posts9,732,231
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #6666715 02/08/17 05:08 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Unless there is an active investigation of some sort I don't believe I would give him that information.

I agree. His behavior is way out of the norm.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6666718 02/08/17 05:11 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
It would bother me and I think would not give it to him unless he gives me a good reason why he needs needs it. It seems like he is overstepping his bounds a little bit.

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: Navasot] #6666721 02/08/17 05:13 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:
Kind of weird to me. We like our game warden a lot, he comes by pretty often during deer season. The most he has asked for is the makes, models and LP #'s to our trucks so he knows who is supposed to be here and who isn't. That's never bothered me before.

See, he doesn't need the LP#s of people's vehicles and he doesn't need to know who is supposed to be on the lease or not. That is more fishing. What is he going to do, stop everyone he sees on the lease that don't have the right LP#s as potential trespassers? Nope. He isn't there to stop trespassers without there first being a complaint from the landowner/lease manager that a trespasser is on property at a given time.

Never mind the fact that he can run license plates at will and find out names.

I wouldn't get that far into it... I would hope hes doing both at least... they do watch out for properties when they know who is suppose to be there and not... no need for a call when he can just call LO or lease holder

Wait, you think he is really getting the information so that he can provide private property security services? Don't be silly. It isn't like he is going to every landowner and making the same query so that he can be sure strangers are not on their lands. He isn't really worried about if people should be there or not. He is fishing.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6666722 02/08/17 05:13 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Simple answer is instead of asking advise from this bunch just pick up the phone, call the game warden that was asking for the information, introduce yourself and ask what you can do for him....easy....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6666727 02/08/17 05:21 PM
C
CRAnderson52 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:
Kind of weird to me. We like our game warden a lot, he comes by pretty often during deer season. The most he has asked for is the makes, models and LP #'s to our trucks so he knows who is supposed to be here and who isn't. That's never bothered me before.

See, he doesn't need the LP#s of people's vehicles and he doesn't need to know who is supposed to be on the lease or not. That is more fishing. What is he going to do, stop everyone he sees on the lease that don't have the right LP#s as potential trespassers? Nope. He isn't there to stop trespassers without there first being a complaint from the landowner/lease manager that a trespasser is on property at a given time.

Never mind the fact that he can run license plates at will and find out names.

I don't mind him knowing who should and shouldn't be there one bit. Our first year on this place we had some theft issues but luckily those have subsided. I don't know if it's because it was just a one time thing, or because he was keeping an eye on the place. Either way, who cares. Our warden has to pass our place to get pretty much anywhere in the county so it gives me a good sense of security. On the other hand, most of the guys that I hunt with are firemen or cops, so he can do all the "fishing" he wants, he's not going to find anything wrong. He's seen stuff out of place before and asked our landowner about it just to make sure everything was good.

You can run but you can't hide...
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6666735 02/08/17 05:24 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
No need to ask the ranch manager on our place. The LO has all that info for each hunter if he really wanted it.

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6666759 02/08/17 05:42 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Has there been any criminal activity on or near the lease, say within a 3 mile radius.

Chances are you don't really know whats going on around the area or if there is an active investigation going on even county wide.

GW collaborate & assist with all sorts of local, county, state even fed LEO agencies.

If you don't want to give him your info, don't.
Don't whine & complain that LEO's aren't doing their job when stuff on your lease comes up missing.

I have the cell# for the GW from every county we own or lease property in, they have mine.
I can't count how many times I received a call that proved invaluable to me about something going on or near one of those properties.

So & so's tractor got stolen 1 mile away keep your eye out, your road blade isn't where you normally store it, ended up being stolen, did you come get your gooseneck trailer, no? well somebody got it then, there's a wildfire on your property moving north fast, did you move your cows off your property, are 2 guys in a blue gmc pickup supposed to be on your property, somebody ran their car through your fence...

Not all or even most LEO's are out to get you, most are trying to help people & do their job they just might not be able to tell you whats going on at the time.

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: redchevy] #6666794 02/08/17 06:14 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
He wants to make sure everyone gets a present from time to time. Christmas is the time for giving.............you know?

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6666819 02/08/17 06:34 PM
D
DoubleB20 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
D
Wow, I thought this might be a lively topic. Like some have mentioned all lease members have a card that represents written permission. This is my second year, but the lease boss has been on this lease 50 years this year. 10 folks on the lease and everyone is a good egg. Nothing going on that I know of around us that I know about. Just thought it felt like a fishing expedition to me. I no problem with game wardens and welcome their involvement at the lease. Thanks for all the replies.

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #6666849 02/08/17 06:54 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
I have been checked many times by GW's, Hunting, Fishing and just Boating, I always welcome them, tell them that I appreciate them (and I do), I have never met a rude one, but there is no reason for GW to need that info. I would tell him no.

So if he comes across someone on your lease that states he is a paid hunter you wouldn't want him to have a list he could quickly confirm the hunter with?

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: redchevy] #6666864 02/08/17 07:05 PM
J
JTS Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: redchevy

It did tick me off last season that the game warden drove right up to our camp in his truck, through our locked gate... turns out he has a key to the power company lock. I think that should be against the law.

Our game warden asked the guy who does my farming for the code to the gate at my place. He gave it to him because he didn't want to upset the game warden. I changed the gate code the next week. I also cut the power companies lock also since he has a key for that also.

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6666866 02/08/17 07:06 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I can see both sides. Honestly don't know how I would feel about it.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: SnakeWrangler] #6666877 02/08/17 07:11 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Simple answer is instead of asking advise from this bunch just pick up the phone, call the game warden that was asking for the information, introduce yourself and ask what you can do for him....easy....

No way! That would stop people from griping and makes too much sense.

To be determined
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6666883 02/08/17 07:14 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Darned if you do, darned if you don't in my opinion. I carry my local GW's business card with me in the sleeve with my hunting license. If I have an issue, I want to have his info handy. I've also had him stop by to check in and I've offered him a cup of coffee or a coke. Pays to be on good terms. At the same time, not sure if I can see a logical reason for him to ask me for contact info of others.

Now the flipside, if you don't provide, do you run the risk of getting increased scrutiny?

If this were to ever happen to me, I would be most comfortable, and maybe best course, would be for the Lease Manager to give the GW his info (if he is comfortable doing so), but also informing the GW that he is not comfortable giving anyone else's personal information. Maybe take it a step further and let the GW know that he would be happy to send an email to all of the other hunters, providing the GW's contact info, and that they will need to respond with their info if they are inclined.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6666895 02/08/17 07:20 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
I have the game wardens cell & sheriffs office # for Jack, Erath, Dickens, Montague, Real counties just in case. I have met and conversed with Jack county GW Mr. Tweedle a couple of times and encourage him to stop by whenever he wants.

Nothing to hide here so I prefer them (GW) being a little nosy, might be the difference between someone getting away with blatant game violations or theft of property nidea

Last edited by Stub; 02/09/17 01:54 PM.

texas flag

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6666911 02/08/17 07:27 PM
D
DH3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
In early January, I was walking out to my tower blind and heard a noise behind me. It was the game warden cruising down my private road. I asked him what the hell he was doing driving my roads late in the day and screwing up my hunt.
He e said that "I didn't know any one was here." He fouled up my hunt..I suspect that he was looking to use my blind for himself. I have seen some evidence of someone using my blinds (cigarette butts and I do not smoke).
I told him if he had any problem with me, my license or anything else on my property to come back after dark and ask away..He was a no show.

Old age and treachery beats youth and stupid every time!
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6667000 02/08/17 08:29 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
One other thought on that request...He might be looking for names of past violators in order to know which properties to keep a closer eye on.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DH3] #6667023 02/08/17 08:37 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: DH3
In early January, I was walking out to my tower blind and heard a noise behind me. It was the game warden cruising down my private road. I asked him what the hell he was doing driving my roads late in the day and screwing up my hunt.
He e said that "I didn't know any one was here." He fouled up my hunt..I suspect that he was looking to use my blind for himself. I have seen some evidence of someone using my blinds (cigarette butts and I do not smoke).
I told him if he had any problem with me, my license or anything else on my property to come back after dark and ask away..He was a no show.

My in-laws have witnessed the phone company truck driving out of a neighbors ranch (could have been on their ranch since the neighbors ranch road is the access road).

The occupants were wearing camo. Doubt they were working phone lines in that outfit.

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6667186 02/08/17 10:15 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: DoubleB20
Wow, I thought this might be a lively topic. Like some have mentioned all lease members have a card that represents written permission. This is my second year, but the lease boss has been on this lease 50 years this year. 10 folks on the lease and everyone is a good egg. Nothing going on that I know of around us that I know about. Just thought it felt like a fishing expedition to me. I no problem with game wardens and welcome their involvement at the lease. Thanks for all the replies.

That "everyone (on the lease) is a good egg" and "I welcome the GW's involvement at the lease" attitude is a GW's bread and butter. The GW is not your friend. He has a job to do. That job is to find and apprehend game law violators.

Listen real close here: everyone who hunts and fishes is a "game law violator". If you dispute that then you have a very incomplete understanding of the myriad of game laws.

There is never a good reason to treat a GW bad. But there's thousands of reasons to keep from helping him find your mistake on any given day.

I've experienced two situations where hunters were cozy with the GW. Both ended up with citations. For things like "failing to recover a game animal" (a javelina that the hunter had emptied his weapon at just before dark). And pre-signing an MLD tag (the GW later apologized because he was wrong on HIS understanding of the law).

Last edited by therancher; 02/08/17 10:16 PM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6667208 02/08/17 10:27 PM
R
rex47 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
If he needs or wants the info he can get it when he checks hunting lic.

when the going gets really tough, I sit down and rest
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6667288 02/08/17 11:18 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
None of their business unless laws were broken.

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6667442 02/09/17 01:03 AM
glocker17 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I bet he already has a name in mind and is looking for info, maybe doesn't want to tip his hand.

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6667635 02/09/17 02:47 AM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I read through the response noses and thought about it some more. I can mostly see both sides, but I find myself falling on the side of those that don't understand the reason why you should or would be okay with this or with the LO or ranch manager giving it up without your permission.

My biggest qualm is, why does the warden need your address? Name and cell phone, okay, maybe he wants it on hand in case something does come up, like needing to access the property for some reason and not wanting to ruin a hunt, or because there was a theft there and might need to get in touch with guys on the lease.

But my home address, most likely in another county? That definitely makes it seem like a fishing expedition, and I'm not okay with that.

No problems with game wardens and I respect their job and how hard it can be, but that seems unnecessary and would make me uncomfortable. If he showed up at camp, introduced himself and asked ME for it, I might give him my name and number, depending on the reason, but not my home address just for him to ave on file.

That seems really odd.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6667651 02/09/17 02:59 AM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
I know my local game wardens and have their phone numbers programed into my phone.
That said I would be sending a certified letter to Austin asking for the reason this happened and what they planned to do about it. I don't like people I do business with giving out my personal information.

If there actually was a need for this information then I might change my mind about it.

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6667683 02/09/17 03:22 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I would have no problem giving them that information.

The way this thread is going it sure looks like a few folks are guilty or planning to be.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide