Page 1 of 2 1 2
Outfitter Gunn & Hook Rip-Off #2 #6657468 02/01/17 07:54 PM
D
Danlv Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
November 2016, I booked a once in a lifetime helicopter hog hunt through Gunn & Hook Outfitters, also known as Elysium Management Inc. located in Fort Worth, Texas. Gunn & Hook is a booking agent for many hunting and fishing outfitters. They charged my credit card $4,485 for three of us, Gunn & Hook kept our money and did not pay the outfitter who was to provide this hog hunt outside Dallas, Texas. In December of 2016, I finally got Gunn & Hook to provide me with the name of the outfitter who this hunt was supposedly booked through. I called that outfitter and found out that he was not notified about this hunt and the scheduled date was already booked. I had to book for another day and I was also informed that Gunn & Hook did not make payment for my hunt. The outfitter said he would contact Gunn & Hook Outfitters about payment. The outfitter was told the money would be wired immediately. A couple of weeks went by and I thought everything was a go. I drove from Las Vegas to Texas and two days before the hunt was scheduled, I was called by the outfitter and told Gunn & Hook did not make payment so my hunt was cancelled. Now I was in a panic and I texted Gunn & Hook as did the outfitter. Gunn & Hook promised to have the money wired by the end of the next day. That did not happen because Gunn & Hook said there was a glitch with the bank and the promised payment would be wired the following day, the day of our hunt. The outfitter agreed to take us up in the helicopter and believed Gunn and Hook's word because they had worked together throughout 2016. At the end of our hunt, the outfitter checked his bank account and again Gunn & Hook had lied and payment was not made. The outfitter now wants his money which he deserves for the service provided but we're retired and on social security and can't afford to make two $4500 payments. Gunn & Hook needs to come clean and pay the outfitter the money we paid for this adventure. For the time being, my credit card company is working on recovering our money. I also want to say that we stopped by Gunn & Hooks store in Fort Worth, Texas and there was a posting on the door that said they were locked out on November 10, 2016 due to their lease default. Their web site is still up and they are taking messages on their phone. So they collected our money after they were locked out of their store. Do not do business with Gunn & Hook Outfitter's.

Re: Outfitter Gunn & Hook Rip-Off #2 [Re: Danlv] #6657501 02/01/17 08:20 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
If you have a good credit-card company they'll handle it. I've had a few things like that happen and AMEX said 'no problem, we'll handle it' and they did, every time.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, how was the hunt itself?

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Outfitter Gunn & Hook Rip-Off #2 [Re: Danlv] #6657518 02/01/17 08:39 PM
D
Danlv Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
The credit card company feels positive about getting our money back. The hunt was fun! We got 10 hogs that we know of and that helicopter ride was awesome.

Re: Outfitter Gunn & Hook Rip-Off #2 [Re: Danlv] #6657524 02/01/17 08:40 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Thanks for the warning about Gun & Hook. It sounds like you have just saved several of the THF members a lot of their hard earned money. Very sorry about all you had to go through.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Outfitter Gunn & Hook Rip-Off #2 [Re: Danlv] #6657532 02/01/17 08:45 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
up

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Outfitter Gunn & Hook Rip-Off #2 [Re: Mr. T.] #6657610 02/01/17 09:27 PM
D
Danlv Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
Thanks for your concern! I heard about the Texas Hunting Forum when I googled Gunn & Hook Outfitters. There was an article about another hunter that got ripped off by Gunn & Hook so I felt I should also post and tell my story. I hope it helps save other hunters from this nightmare.

Re: Outfitter Gunn & Hook Rip-Off #2 [Re: Danlv] #6657864 02/02/17 01:01 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
welcome

Thanks for posting this. up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Outfitter Gunn & Hook Rip-Off #2 [Re: Danlv] #6657885 02/02/17 01:13 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Welcome Danlv,
Thanks for sharing
Sounds like the helicopter pilot was quite a guy to take you hunting, with no money in hand.
Probably not a bad idea to start and send some money his way till you get money back from the credit card company.

Edited to add: My wife said that she somehow got on Gunn and Hooks email list, and gets emails often.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Outfitter Gunn & Hook Rip-Off #2 [Re: Danlv] #6658006 02/02/17 02:39 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
If you got your hunt they don't owe you money. It now sounds like the pilot just became the victim.

I wouldn't pay another dime to anybody

Last edited by Brother in-law; 02/02/17 02:39 AM.
Re: Outfitter Gunn & Hook Rip-Off #2 [Re: Danlv] #6658061 02/02/17 03:09 AM
S
Shawheel Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I got emails for a while from them, glad I didn't sign up for anything.

I hump the wild to take it all in, there is no bag limit on happiness. -Ted Nugent
Re: Outfitter Gunn & Hook Rip-Off #2 [Re: Brother in-law] #6658303 02/02/17 01:02 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
If you got your hunt they don't owe you money. It now sounds like the pilot just became the victim.

I wouldn't pay another dime to anybody

Sad as it is, I'd think the same thing. It was a business risk everyone was taking and his relationship all summer with the outfitter is his problem. That said, I would certainly offer to testify in small claims court on behalf of the pilot and do what I could to help him as he did you.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Outfitter Gunn & Hook Rip-Off #2 [Re: Danlv] #6658385 02/02/17 02:00 PM
drycreek3189 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
In my humble opinion, if the oufitter was good enough to take you up on the cuff, and you get your money back, then he needs to get paid for services rendered. Just because the booking agent is a crook, no need for you to be. I couldn't sleep at night if I left him on the hook while I skated.

If you don't get reimbursed, then you and the helicopter hunting service get together and see if you can't recover funds in any way possible.

Re: Outfitter Gunn & Hook Rip-Off #2 [Re: Danlv] #6658430 02/02/17 02:39 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Also agree with drycreek under those circumstances, if you recover the cc cost that is. LEss the outfitters fee of course

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Outfitter Gunn & Hook Rip-Off #2 [Re: drycreek3189] #6658439 02/02/17 02:43 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: drycreek3189
In my humble opinion, if the oufitter was good enough to take you up on the cuff, and you get your money back, then he needs to get paid for services rendered. Just because the booking agent is a crook, no need for you to be. I couldn't sleep at night if I left him on the hook while I skated.

If you don't get reimbursed, then you and the helicopter hunting service get together and see if you can't recover funds in any way possible.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He could of easily said no, I need to be paid, have a nice trip back home.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Outfitter Gunn & Hook Rip-Off #2 [Re: Danlv] #6658468 02/02/17 03:05 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Danlv
The outfitter agreed to take us up in the helicopter and believed Gunn and Hook's word because they had worked together throughout 2016. At the end of our hunt, the outfitter checked his bank account and again Gunn & Hook had lied and payment was not made. The outfitter now wants his money which he deserves for the service provided but we're retired and on social security and can't afford to make two $4500 payments. Gunn & Hook needs to come clean and pay the outfitter the money we paid for this adventure. For the time being, my credit card company is working on recovering our money.

It sounds like Danlv is not going to leave the outfitter on the hook if he gets reimbursed by the credit card co., he states he cannot afford to make Two $ 4,500 payments.

Unfortunate that this happened, hopefully justice will be served and no one else gets burned!

Last edited by Stub; 02/02/17 08:56 PM.

texas flag

Re: Outfitter Gunn & Hook Rip-Off #2 [Re: Danlv] #6658722 02/02/17 05:44 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Glad you posted this and it sucks that G&H is operating this way. I didn't really understand the concept of a hunting broker on West 7th Street in Fort Worth and how they would be making any money. I guess I understand how they were making money after all these stories.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Outfitter Gunn & Hook Rip-Off #2 [Re: drycreek3189] #6658884 02/02/17 07:28 PM
D
Danlv Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
I certainly agree with you. I wouldn't feel right if Skyhunter didn't get paid for his services. I already told him I wouldn't let him down. If the credit card company gives me a full refund, I will give the outfitter the full amount. This way the outfitter also get's the commission Gunn & Hook was supposed to keep. Chris with SkyHunter is a man to ride the river with. He didn't have to take us up without payment, but he did. He earned his paycheck!

Re: Outfitter Gunn & Hook Rip-Off #2 [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #6670314 02/11/17 04:15 AM
D
Danlv Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
Hey Quick Shooter. Sorry I didn't answer your question about how the hunt went. Well, it was fun and we had a blast! We shot a minimum of 8 hogs on the helicopter flight and we added a night ground hunt using thermal scopes and suppressor's. We only got one pig that night, he was about a 2 year old boar. Shot him with an AK-47 using a hollow point at about 100 yards. That pig didn't know what hit him. We dressed him and cut out the back straps and hind quarters. The next day we ate the pork chops and they were as good as any pork chop bought at the grocery store. I wouldn't do the helicopter again, I think ATV's and an approved landowner permission would be as much fun.

Re: Outfitter Gunn & Hook Rip-Off #2 [Re: Danlv] #6670443 02/11/17 08:21 AM
P
Pike1861 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
Glad you posted this and I hope the credit card is able to get your money back so that you can pay the outfitter. For everyone else reading this post - I've read several scam alert articles about gun & hook. They are also associated with Cory Anderson. Cory runs DWE hunt club out of north Texas and has been the subject of much discussion in "land & leases " as well as "migratory bird hunting". I posted my experience with him in land and leases. He is a liar and will do anything to get your money. Just google him and see what comes up.

After my post I had several guys private message me and said they booked through gun and hook and their outfitter was Cory Anderson. The two are in on it together. I hate to see it when good people lose their money to scum bags.

There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else. We are a nation, not a hodge-podge of foreign nationalities. Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Outfitter Gunn & Hook Rip-Off #2 [Re: Danlv] #6671363 02/12/17 03:23 AM
Zach S Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Gun and Hook are scam artists and have screwed over several people on here.

The only reason I ever got my money back was because I put their information all over the place and finally made the guy meet me in public with the money.

How they haven't been shutdown for fraud is beyond me.

Re: Outfitter Gunn & Hook Rip-Off #2 [Re: Danlv] #6699012 03/08/17 05:15 AM
D
Danlv Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
It's March 7th and my credit card company gave us our $4,485.00 back. Skyhunter will now get paid for his services. Chris with Skyhunter went over and above his responsibilities. He did't have to take us up for that helicopter hog hunt without payment but he did. We appreciate the trust he had in us on getting paid. I'm not sure that he would ever do that again.

If your looking for a helicopter hog hunt, I would recommend Skyhunter Outfitter. He is a great pilot and there was not a time where I felt we were in danger. It was a windy day and he just floated that helicopter in in the wind. It was my second time in a helicopter and I enjoyed the ride. I'm glad I paid with a credit card, the credit card company took the pain right out of getting our money back from Gunn & Hook Outfitter's.

I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in Fort Worth. I received a reply from the BBB in Austin and they said they did not receive a reply from Gunn & Hook despite repeated attempts to reach them. The BBB said that G&H are now publicly accessible in their Business Profile and will be available for the next three years. I looked on the BBB's website and they have an F rating with 2 complaints. Gunn & Hook is also known as Elysium Management Inc., located in Fort Worth. All we can do is get the word out there and stop them from doing business. I would like to thank The Texas Hunting Forum for letting me post my complaint on their site.

We want to go back to Texas to shoot some hogs, so if any of you can hook us up, we would appreciate it. We are coming from Montana and Nevada so cost would be an issue. If these pigs are feral and destructive, you would think the land owners would welcome shooters to get rid of these pests. Thanks Guys..........Dan

Re: Outfitter Gunn & Hook Rip-Off #2 [Re: Danlv] #6699240 03/08/17 02:44 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Glad to hear the pilot gets paid. Hopefully G&H doesn't take anyone else's money. We travel from Wyoming every year so I understand the travel costs. Lots of good outfits out there for hog hunts, just don't look for a free hunt, LOL. North Texas is a little closer for you and lots of hogs up there too. We hunt along the Red River and they are everywhere east and west of the family place. Wichita Falls area might be a good area to look for a hunt.

Re: Outfitter Gunn & Hook Rip-Off #2 [Re: Wytex] #6699266 03/08/17 02:58 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Wytex
Glad to hear the pilot gets paid. Hopefully G&H doesn't take anyone else's money.

Good deal and kudos to Skyhunter Outfitter..... up

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Outfitter Gunn & Hook Rip-Off #2 [Re: SnakeWrangler] #6699280 03/08/17 03:04 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Glad to hear the pilot gets paid. Hopefully G&H doesn't take anyone else's money.

texas flag

Re: Outfitter Gunn & Hook Rip-Off #2 [Re: Stub] #6699539 03/08/17 06:37 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted By: Stub
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Great job here Dan up

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide