Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
another video for you to rip me apart again... haha #6656490 02/01/17 01:44 AM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
I will not give up!!! Here is the latest... I can take it... But I think this is a lot better of video than others...

Joseph Trousdale
Host Texas Game Hunters TV
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: another video for you to rip me apart again... haha [Re: TXGH] #6656511 02/01/17 02:02 AM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Not too bad, I'm not crazy about some of the ethics involved with taking poor shots, but at least you ditched the leather jacket.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: another video for you to rip me apart again... haha [Re: TFF Caribou] #6656519 02/01/17 02:05 AM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Not too bad, I'm not crazy about some of the ethics involved with taking poor shots, but at least you ditched the leather jacket.

The Shot on the yote was good but he turned to the right just as I shot.. the hog freaking moved as well just at the right time.

All either shots were good. The missed shots on the rabbit our prostaff member was going head shots or bust to save the meat.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: another video for you to rip me apart again... haha [Re: TXGH] #6657366 02/01/17 06:45 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I must admit you are like a fighter that won't go down for the count....something to be said for trying until you get it right. up

I suggest you be who you really are, novice hunters filming your hunts. Stop with the prostaff jargon.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: another video for you to rip me apart again... haha [Re: TXGH] #6657593 02/01/17 09:19 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Not sure I would say a gut shot doe is a good shot, but it did prove effective...

Gotta be very careful hunting deer with thermal and IR scopes. Hunting regulations say you can NOT use any external illumination (it does not specify the wavelength) to aid in shooting a deer. Sometimes, even the possession of such aids in the presence of deer hunting is enough to cause a GW to do a thorough search and cite any minor little thing. So just be careful, and not sure I would put video out there of you doing such.

On top of that, need to condense video. I can't sit through 16 minutes of video, if there were only 4 shots taken (doe, doe, coyote, and hog?) I won't sit through it all...I completely missed the hog and coyote shots since I fast forwarded to the doe shots.

Finally, the doe neck shot with a .308 is a little overkill as well. Don't need to prove to us you can shoot (well maybe you do, but thats not the best way to do it). I would rather see a well struck front shoulder or lung shot than a neck shot all day long. With a .308 any solid vital shot is lethal (or any body shot as evidenced by your gut shot doe as well).

Re: another video for you to rip me apart again... haha [Re: TXGH] #6657600 02/01/17 09:22 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
after looking at the video of the hog and coyote shots, you really need to get a gun rest for you when walking around. The hog was an easy shot, just wrong shot placement. You aim more over to the right and hit the spine/neck and doesn't matter if he moves his head its a kill shot. Coyote never had the reticle on the coyote when you shot. It was just to the left of him when the gun goes off, hence the miss. It seems like you rushed that shot and I understand that for sure, we all do it esp with yotes.

Still missed the second doe shot. It seems you show the neck shot and then it jumps to you looking into the brush with the thermal and walking up on a gut shot deer. Didn't see that shot at all.

Not trying to be mean, just helpful/constructive criticisms that should help along the way.

Keep after them!

Re: another video for you to rip me apart again... haha [Re: Texas buckeye] #6657608 02/01/17 09:26 PM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
Not sure I would say a gut shot doe is a good shot, but it did prove effective...

Was not gut shot LOL look at it again shot right in the shoulder quartering away. no guts were hit. Liver and double lung. (heart was not hit) Look at min 12:25 for the slow motion replay of the shot placement

Gotta be very careful hunting deer with thermal and IR scopes. Hunting regulations say you can NOT use any external illumination (it does not specify the wavelength) to aid in shooting a deer. Sometimes, even the possession of such aids in the presence of deer hunting is enough to cause a GW to do a thorough search and cite any minor little thing. So just be careful, and not sure I would put video out there of you doing such.

Agreed, this is why I called the game warden for this county and asked her directly if it was legal. Thermal is legal in Texas for Deer.

On top of that, need to condense video. I can't sit through 16 minutes of video, if there were only 4 shots taken (doe, doe, coyote, and hog?) I won't sit through it all...I completely missed the hog and coyote shots since I fast forwarded to the doe shots.
My videos used to be 25 mins long and cut to 16. trying to work on cutting more. but still keeping them more than just a short clip as needed for sponsorship purposes.

Finally, the doe neck shot with a .308 is a little overkill as well. Don't need to prove to us you can shoot (well maybe you do, but thats not the best way to do it). I would rather see a well struck front shoulder or lung shot than a neck shot all day long. With a .308 any solid vital shot is lethal (or any body shot as evidenced by your gut shot doe as well).

Agreed, and that is why I took the body shot since I had a .308 - my Prostaff member who was with me was using .223 soft points - hence the neck shot vs a body shot.

Good feedback thank you

Last edited by jtprocaddie; 02/01/17 09:34 PM.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: another video for you to rip me apart again... haha [Re: Texas buckeye] #6657614 02/01/17 09:29 PM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
after looking at the video of the hog and coyote shots, you really need to get a gun rest for you when walking around. The hog was an easy shot, just wrong shot placement. You aim more over to the right and hit the spine/neck and doesn't matter if he moves his head its a kill shot. Coyote never had the reticle on the coyote when you shot. It was just to the left of him when the gun goes off, hence the miss. It seems like you rushed that shot and I understand that for sure, we all do it esp with yotes.

Still missed the second doe shot. It seems you show the neck shot and then it jumps to you looking into the brush with the thermal and walking up on a gut shot deer. Didn't see that shot at all.

Not trying to be mean, just helpful/constructive criticisms that should help along the way.

Keep after them!

Watch the doe shot again... both were shot at the same time (1,2,3 shoot.) There are two camera angles - one shows the neck shot and the other shows the body shot. Watch me talking outside the blind I show my shot in slow motion (min 12:25) on the body shot hit right at the shoulder quartering away. Double lung and liver no guts. Maybe I should have explained the situation better. But jumping around on the video too you missed some key information. Hence your recomendation to shorten it.

Last edited by jtprocaddie; 02/01/17 09:35 PM.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: another video for you to rip me apart again... haha [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6657617 02/01/17 09:31 PM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
I must admit you are like a fighter that won't go down for the count....something to be said for trying until you get it right. up

I suggest you be who you really are, novice hunters filming your hunts. Stop with the prostaff jargon.

HAHA How am I going to get better if I quit? So yes sir I'm not going down for the count. And I have 5 Prostaff members for the website, that are provided with free geer from our partners for providing video content for the website.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: another video for you to rip me apart again... haha [Re: TXGH] #6657632 02/01/17 09:41 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
cut out the Dubstep music, buy a real hunting rifle, don't oversell the hunt.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: another video for you to rip me apart again... haha [Re: TXGH] #6657638 02/01/17 09:45 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
jtpro....is this your fulltime job? Not being an [censored], just curious.

Re: another video for you to rip me apart again... haha [Re: TXGH] #6657693 02/01/17 10:46 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Are you trying to be like the majority of tv hunters with shows? Guys like Waddell, Jordan, Drurys, etc.

Is that the style you like?

Re: another video for you to rip me apart again... haha [Re: TXGH] #6657812 02/02/17 12:27 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Ok, I get what you are trying to do, get YouTube viewership. Understood. However, the methods you employ will turn off a lot of hunters really quickly so if you will lend me you ear for a second, let me give you some advice.

1. Never admit on camera that you shot a poorly planned shot or improperly rested shot or badly viewed shot at any game animal. For coyotes, hogs, rabbits, sure fee free to pop off the hip shots or poor view shots or even shots through trees, it's your ammo your money wasted. But to do this with game animals, will make people upset. You admitted you had a poor view, with poor shot technique, just to be able to get a double (i.e. Pride) and that could have led to an injured game animal forced to die a slow death. Not cool. Even if you do it, don't admit it on camera. Plus, your sponsors will not like this either.

2. Shooting deer with a .223 is fine, but at that proximity and speed of the bullet there was a good chance one of those deer behind the neck shot one could have been hit with either a passthru bullet or fragments of the bullet. The neck isn't thick, and there is a lot of bone in there to defect a bullet, so use better judgement on when to shoot and make sure you don't injure any other game animals in your choices.

3. That deer you shot was quartering toward you a lot more than you thought. I always tell
My kids and I myself shoot to take out the opposite shoulder. In this picture is it clear the bullet went way back on this deer and you are dang lucky you didn't have a stinky mess on your hands with a bunch of wasted meat.

I assume the red splotch on that deer's abdomen is the exit area...if it is mud or something else I stand corrected, but sure makes sense for an exit.

4. I did miss a lot of details in the video since I fast forwarded it. Without knowing this is supposed to be a YouTube channel I thought it was just a video of some shots. Will pay attention better next time.

Re: another video for you to rip me apart again... haha [Re: TXGH] #6657828 02/02/17 12:37 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: jtprocaddie
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

HAHA How am I going to get better if I quit? So yes sir I'm not going down for the count. And I have 5 Prostaff members for the website, that are provided with free geer from our partners for providing video content for the website.

Where do I apply for being a Prostaff member? I need something to do. I got this.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: another video for you to rip me apart again... haha [Re: TXGH] #6657849 02/02/17 12:50 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
You'll have to introduce yourself to people as "Prostaff Member Kent." Still got this? grin

Re: another video for you to rip me apart again... haha [Re: txtrophy85] #6657957 02/02/17 02:05 AM
B
BediasHunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

I agree with this, I almost every guy I know uses a bolt action for deer hunting with a normal scope usually about 1/2 the cost of the rifle. My point being that people have had a lot cleaner kills at that range, with a lot cheaper set up than a Thermal on top of an AR-10. I would think that using a thermal for deer hunting would take away some of the detail of the body of the deer, like the curve of the shoulder where you want to place the bullet behind, but it got the job done. I usually associate thermals with hog or varmit hunting not so much for deer, this is the first video I have seen of a thermal used for deer hunting and it seems it is impractical being that the cost of the unit would not extend legal hunting hours and would not be as clear as traditional scopes. Another thing that I saw that I thought was odd was the singles on the butt of the rifle. I have found that set up to be useful on a bolt action, but for a clip fed AR isn't that just extra weight being that you never fired close to a ten round mag.?It makes sense if you had a .338 or .300 WIN MAG single shot upper, but not for a .308. Lastly don't oversell the hunt, it was a meat hunt for two does that took 16 minutes to watch when they both shot in the same frame, I think it should be around 5-7 minutes for the animals that were shot. Just try to take the animal as clean as possible, and say something about the how you are grateful for the meat, you might have but I didn't watch all of it . I think there is some work to be done but, you seem persistent enough to do the work and try again. Good Luck, I hope that was helpful.

Re: another video for you to rip me apart again... haha [Re: Jgraider] #6658099 02/02/17 03:38 AM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Jgraider
jtpro....is this your fulltime job? Not being an [censored], just curious.

nope just a side thing

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: another video for you to rip me apart again... haha [Re: Sneaky] #6658100 02/02/17 03:38 AM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Are you trying to be like the majority of tv hunters with shows? Guys like Waddell, Jordan, Drurys, etc.

Is that the style you like?

trying to find my style I guess.. not really trying to copy anything. just go with the flow persay

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: another video for you to rip me apart again... haha [Re: BediasHunter] #6658108 02/02/17 03:45 AM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: BediasHunter
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

I agree with this, I almost every guy I know uses a bolt action for deer hunting with a normal scope usually about 1/2 the cost of the rifle. My point being that people have had a lot cleaner kills at that range, with a lot cheaper set up than a Thermal on top of an AR-10. I would think that using a thermal for deer hunting would take away some of the detail of the body of the deer, like the curve of the shoulder where you want to place the bullet behind, but it got the job done. I usually associate thermals with hog or varmit hunting not so much for deer, this is the first video I have seen of a thermal used for deer hunting and it seems it is impractical being that the cost of the unit would not extend legal hunting hours and would not be as clear as traditional scopes. Another thing that I saw that I thought was odd was the singles on the butt of the rifle. I have found that set up to be useful on a bolt action, but for a clip fed AR isn't that just extra weight being that you never fired close to a ten round mag.?It makes sense if you had a .338 or .300 WIN MAG single shot upper, but not for a .308. Lastly don't oversell the hunt, it was a meat hunt for two does that took 16 minutes to watch when they both shot in the same frame, I think it should be around 5-7 minutes for the animals that were shot. Just try to take the animal as clean as possible, and say something about the how you are grateful for the meat, you might have but I didn't watch all of it . I think there is some work to be done but, you seem persistent enough to do the work and try again. Good Luck, I hope that was helpful.

good info thanks.

and yes I have been trying to cut down on the time but I really enjoy showing some of the other animals we saw even those not harvested. also the stalking of the cows I thought a little funny too lol

Yes I agree on the thermal for deer and daytime use.. It was my first daytime hunt with it. I now have QD mounts on my thermal and daytime digital scope so I can easily switch back and forth.

Honestly, I really like my AR 10 for everything because on most hunts I stay for a night hunt too for hogs ect no matter where I go.

I carry extra rounds int he stock cover for hog hunting at night for an easy reload so I do not have to carry an extra mag as I only carry a small capacity magazine with me. But I understand where you are coming from 100%

This is why I ask,.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: another video for you to rip me apart again... haha [Re: TXGH] #6658111 02/02/17 03:47 AM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
I have a group hunt coming up the weekend of the 18th in west texas for a cull buck 2 does 2 javies and an elk cow if we can find one. Should make for some good video..

Will reduce the music, reduce the commentary, reduce the filler video and clearer descriptions as to what happened.

thanks for the advice... Soon you will all enjoy my vidoes lol

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: another video for you to rip me apart again... haha [Re: TXGH] #6658729 02/02/17 05:48 PM
B
bear64 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
joseph, i just wanted to applaud you for staying positive to all the feedback. you "aksed for it" and you got it, and some folks would find it difficult to remain positive though it all, but it seems you are going to use the critiques as a productive tool as it should be.

keep working hard, be honest, and most of all "be who you really are"....a young hunter who is filming his hunts....nothing more, nothing less.

looking forward to your next video

Re: another video for you to rip me apart again... haha [Re: bear64] #6658761 02/02/17 06:03 PM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: bear64
joseph, i just wanted to applaud you for staying positive to all the feedback. you "aksed for it" and you got it, and some folks would find it difficult to remain positive though it all, but it seems you are going to use the critiques as a productive tool as it should be.

keep working hard, be honest, and most of all "be who you really are"....a young hunter who is filming his hunts....nothing more, nothing less.

looking forward to your next video

Thank you sir!

I re-edited this for a show I am part of the field staff... What do you think of the condensed version? only 7 mins long...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/su5b8wbc4jxwlyr/Dawn%20of%20the%20Final%20Day%20-%20Doe%20Hunt.mov?dl=0

Last edited by jtprocaddie; 02/02/17 06:14 PM.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: another video for you to rip me apart again... haha [Re: TXGH] #6658774 02/02/17 06:13 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
JT, you know I usually try to be supportive of you bud but you need to really spend more time on honing in your shooting proficiency and less time on the on film joking. Whether you are shooting at hogs, coyotes, deer or rabbits, way too many missed or poorly placed shots there. If you have them which we all do, edit some more of them out. Way too amateurish for my taste. I don't expect you to perfectly execute every shot but you should at least attempt to. I surely don't but then again I'm also not filming and showing my hunts for entertainment value. Make sense?

Re: another video for you to rip me apart again... haha [Re: DQ Kid] #6658782 02/02/17 06:20 PM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
JT, you know I usually try to be supportive of you bud but you need to really spend more time on honing in your shooting proficiency and less time on the on film joking. Whether you are shooting at hogs, coyotes, deer or rabbits, way too many missed or poorly placed shots there. If you have them which we all do, edit some more of them out. Way too amateurish for my taste. I don't expect you to perfectly execute every shot but you should at least attempt to. I surely don't but then again I'm also not filming and showing my hunts for entertainment value. Make sense?

I understand where you are coming from... The rabbits were not me but then again was trying for a head shot only so all or nothing to save the meat. Headshot on a rabbit is a tough shot to begin with.

The yote, we came across in a pipeline while driving around and it was running full speed but they have been causing problems on this ranch so even though it was a low % shot it was a yote and had to try. Would never try that on a game animal.

The Hog never turned our direction and was facing away from us walking the opposite direction. Finally, he turned his head but right when we took the head shot he turned it away from us. If I had aimed for a body shot it would have hit him in the [censored] and would have been just an injury and not a kill.. I will not take those kidns of shots.

I am just not afraid to show misses, because it keeps it more real. How many people have been night hunting fro hogs and decide to take a rabbit and miss the head shots at 100 yards I am betting more than would admit.

The only unethical shot attempted was the yote running away, but I have no regrets with trying to take out a yote with low % of success. But thats just me

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: another video for you to rip me apart again... haha [Re: TXGH] #6658802 02/02/17 06:27 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Fair enough, just be cautious in the event future ranches that you may be filming at what to take a look at your prior hunts and kills taken or not.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide