Print Thread
MeatEater on House Bill 621 #6655839 01/31/17 05:08 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
M
Here is some more information as to avenues you can use to let your representatives know you oppose the sale of public hunting lands.

Quote:
At MeatEater we try our damnedest to pour out a torrential river of information, recipes, laughs, inspiration, and entertainment — all without giving you a hard sell on anything. Now and then, however, I do have to come forward and make a big ask.

I’m doing that right now about an issue that is close to my heart. You need to call your U.S. congressional representatives and urge them to oppose H.R. 621. If passed, this bill will direct the Secretary of the Interior to begin disposing of your federally-owned public land hunting and fishing grounds in Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, and Wyoming. This is no joke, it’s real. We will not sit back and let them piss on our hunting and fishing heritage.

http://www.themeateater.com/2017/calling-all-meateaters-we-need-you-now/

Re: MeatEater on House Bill 621 [Re: mattyg06] #6655845 01/31/17 05:12 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
up

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: MeatEater on House Bill 621 [Re: mattyg06] #6655895 01/31/17 05:37 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
cheers Been a Proud supporter of WMA , (Public Hunting Land) here in texas for years, & posted several times... As pappy once said: tis lower class, hunt for the grillen & chiller, rather than thre big bucks ... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: MeatEater on House Bill 621 [Re: mattyg06] #6656193 01/31/17 10:09 PM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Looks like Zinke is in

"Senate committee approves Zinke to lead Interior"

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/317046-senate-committee-approves-zinke-to-lead-interior

Re: MeatEater on House Bill 621 [Re: mattyg06] #6656351 02/01/17 12:05 AM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: mattyg06
Here is some more information as to avenues you can use to let your representatives know you oppose the sale of public hunting lands.

Quote:
At MeatEater we try our damnedest to pour out a torrential river of information, recipes, laughs, inspiration, and entertainment — all without giving you a hard sell on anything. Now and then, however, I do have to come forward and make a big ask.

I’m doing that right now about an issue that is close to my heart. You need to call your U.S. congressional representatives and urge them to oppose H.R. 621. If passed, this bill will direct the Secretary of the Interior to begin disposing of your federally-owned public land hunting and fishing grounds in Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, and Wyoming. This is no joke, it’s real. We will not sit back and let them piss on our hunting and fishing heritage.

http://www.themeateater.com/2017/calling-all-meateaters-we-need-you-now/

Thank you for posting this!

Re: MeatEater on House Bill 621 [Re: mattyg06] #6656360 02/01/17 12:15 AM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P

Re: MeatEater on House Bill 621 [Re: mattyg06] #6656713 02/01/17 04:04 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I see no problem with this. The federal government doesn't need to be in the land business.
And 3 million acres is a very small drop in the bucket.
There are a lot of federal lands that the public isn't allowed to use or the public doesn't use for various reasons. It would be better served in private hands being managed for productive use.
I have seen thousands of federal owned acres that is in such disrepair it is basically worthless.
If the government didn't own so much of the Rocky Mountains the Japanese pine beatle would not have been allowed to decimate the forest in most of the west. Most of Colorado and New Mexico is one fire away from being bald.

Re: MeatEater on House Bill 621 [Re: huntwest] #6657033 02/01/17 02:41 PM
S
Stevarino Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: huntwest
I see no problem with this. The federal government doesn't need to be in the land business.
There are a lot of federal lands that the public isn't allowed to use or the public doesn't use for various reasons. It would be better served in private hands being managed for productive use.
I have seen thousands of federal owned acres that is in such disrepair it is basically worthless.
If the government didn't own so much of the Rocky Mountains the Japanese pine beatle would not have been allowed to decimate the forest in most of the west. Most of Colorado and New Mexico is one fire away from being bald.

I've seen the change over the past 25 years or so. Very sad situation and will probably never see it back at its original state within my lifetime..I see your side, but I don't know if a private landowner or landowners could have made much of a difference. I also don't want to see Pepsi advertisements when driving through Rocky Mountain national park. This has always been a tough issue for me to take either side.

Re: MeatEater on House Bill 621 [Re: huntwest] #6657550 02/01/17 08:53 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

If what you are preaching is pure capitalism which there is an argument for. (I'm against it) but will the government put this land up for sale where the public like you aND i can but for market value or will it be sold to the best lobbiest with the best hooters?

Re: MeatEater on House Bill 621 [Re: ducknbass] #6657576 02/01/17 09:10 PM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted By: ducknbass

If what you are preaching is pure capitalism which there is an argument for. (I'm against it) but will the government put this land up for sale where the public like you aND i can but for market value or will it be sold to the best lobbiest with the best hooters?

"Pure Capitalism" vs "Crony Capitalism" ?

I think everyone knows the answer

Re: MeatEater on House Bill 621 [Re: ndhunter] #6657734 02/01/17 11:21 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: ndhunter

"Pure Capitalism" vs "Crony Capitalism" ?

I think everyone knows the answer

Yessir

Re: MeatEater on House Bill 621 [Re: mattyg06] #6658323 02/02/17 01:25 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
It appears that congressman Jason Chaffetz is withdrawing the bill.

Good job to those that contacted their representative.

Last edited by ducknbass; 02/02/17 01:25 PM.
Re: MeatEater on House Bill 621 [Re: mattyg06] #6658328 02/02/17 01:27 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: MeatEater on House Bill 621 [Re: huntwest] #6658345 02/02/17 01:38 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I get what you are saying 100% but at the end of the day 3 million is more public land then Texas has.

I'm not happy either on the eco crazies' influence not only on USFG and USFS but the court system also. Land locked land has the ability to be traded for accessible land.

I can't stand choked out Forrests and want to see logging brought back, but throwing in the towel at the land ownership level isn't the answer

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: MeatEater on House Bill 621 [Re: ducknbass] #6659133 02/02/17 10:29 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
It appears that congressman Jason Chaffetz is withdrawing the bill.

Good job to those that contacted their representative.

banana banana banana banana

Re: MeatEater on House Bill 621 [Re: mattyg06] #6659189 02/02/17 11:06 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Here's a story that talks about the social media hornet's nest that sportsmen kicked up regarding this bill.

http://wiredtohunt.com/2017/02/02/bill-hr-621-dies-public-land-stays-public/

Re: MeatEater on House Bill 621 [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6659605 02/03/17 03:27 AM
F
FeetDown Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
I get what you are saying 100% but at the end of the day 3 million is more public land then Texas has.

I'm not happy either on the eco crazies' influence not only on USFG and USFS but the court system also. Land locked land has the ability to be traded for accessible land.

I can't stand choked out Forrests and want to see logging brought back, but throwing in the towel at the land ownership level isn't the answer

My sentiments too.

Re: MeatEater on House Bill 621 [Re: Palehorse] #6659677 02/03/17 04:04 AM
M
mattyg06 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Palehorse
Here's a story that talks about the social media hornet's nest that sportsmen kicked up regarding this bill.

http://wiredtohunt.com/2017/02/02/bill-hr-621-dies-public-land-stays-public/

So is this the first time in history sportsmen organized online through social media to basically defeat a piece of legislation?

Quote:
Editor’s Note: Today is a big day for the #KeepItPublic movement. We’ve been talking about the threat of these public lands transfers/sales for some time and the proposals keep popping up. But this time hunters, anglers, hikers and campers stood up together and made it known that the disposal of our public lands is not acceptable – and we forced legislators to listen. I want to say thank you to everyone who called or emailed their representatives, posted on Instagram, or talked to friends and family about this issue. The halting of bill HR 621 is proof that we can make a difference. But I also want to make sure everyone remembers that HR 621 was just one small piece of a much bigger and longer running issue. There will be plenty more bad proposals and bills like this coming down the pipeline. So enjoy this one today and then ready yourself for the work left to do. Let’s keep it public. – Mark Kenyon

Re: MeatEater on House Bill 621 [Re: mattyg06] #6659842 02/03/17 12:30 PM
N
NDN98 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
up

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide