Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Delicious hogs [Re: SapperTitan] #6635827 01/17/17 02:45 AM
C
CollinCountyCab Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
[/quote] what if we don't look at a hog as food? What if we just really love to kill as many as we can? Personally I just love to hear them squeal when that hot bullet punches through their flesh. It's satisfying to know you are the one that took that nuisances life and he will never root up another pasture, crop, or yard. [/quote]

What he said 4 sure!!!

Re: Delicious hogs [Re: ] #6635837 01/17/17 02:50 AM
glocker17 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
They are tasty, but I have fed more to the earth that I have to myself. Its a pest and there is no reason to feel guilty to putting them back into the ecosystem, coyotes and buzzards gotta eat too. There is getting be a lot of this self righteous nonsense going around.

Last edited by glocker17; 01/17/17 04:01 AM.
Re: Delicious hogs [Re: glocker17] #6635839 01/17/17 02:52 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: glocker17
They are tasty, but I have fed more to the earth that I have to myself. Is a pest and there is no reason to feel guilty to putting them back into the ecosystem, coyotes and buzzards gotta eat too. There is getting be a lot of this self righteous nonsense going around.
I can't say I've ever felt guilty for any life I've taken but this is especially true for a feral hog.

Re: Delicious hogs [Re: Jbell99] #6636434 01/17/17 04:22 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Jbell99
also to the guys who don't want the pigs they kill contact your local processors lots of them will process them for free and donate it to those who need it.
Some food pantries will too

Have you ever done this?

Because hogs have the capability to carry many more diseases than deer, I think the hog meat has to be USDA inspected, and most deer processors are not set up for that.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Delicious hogs [Re: ] #6636450 01/17/17 04:33 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
It is illegal to process dead pigs and distribute the meat...as to shelters or the needy.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/travel/whole-hog/

Live hogs may be taken to designated facilities, inspected, killed, processed, and donated, but NOT hunter kills.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 01/17/17 04:34 PM.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Delicious hogs [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6636479 01/17/17 04:49 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
It is illegal to process dead pigs and distribute the meat...as to shelters or the needy.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/travel/whole-hog/

Live hogs may be taken to designated facilities, inspected, killed, processed, and donated, but NOT hunter kills.

This is true.

Re: Delicious hogs [Re: ] #6636538 01/17/17 05:31 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I think hogs are fine eating.

I do not agree that they are all fine eating. Some of them do in fact stink before skin and gut and after. I have never had a stinky sow, so 99% of the time I shoot sows and boars go to the gut pile. If they are less than 50 lbs I eat indiscriminately.

Shot an appx 100 lb sow this weekend. She was fat like a domestic hog and clean. She will make some nice sausage.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Delicious hogs [Re: ] #6637384 01/18/17 02:35 AM
J
JimRitcholds481 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Kill em n let em lay, they're ruining our ranch and killing, yes killing, our cattle. We had a caw having a calf and hogs got ahold of the calf while she was laying trying to give birth. Killed the calf and killed the cow. I hope they all die. Don't you dare call me lazy. They're a nuisance, they don't have any place being here heck they were never intended to be here but were brought over from Europe for food. Next time and every time I see them I'm going to make sure I shoot them in the face and LEAVE THEM WHERE THEY LAY!

Re: Delicious hogs [Re: JimRitcholds481] #6637421 01/18/17 02:54 AM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: JimRitcholds481
Kill em n let em lay, they're ruining our ranch and killing, yes killing, our cattle. We had a caw having a calf and hogs got ahold of the calf while she was laying trying to give birth. Killed the calf and killed the cow. I hope they all die. Don't you dare call me lazy. They're a nuisance, they don't have any place being here heck they were never intended to be here but were brought over from Europe for food. Next time and every time I see them I'm going to make sure I shoot them in the face and LEAVE THEM WHERE THEY LAY!

tell us how you really feel about hogs ....

Re: Delicious hogs [Re: ] #6637480 01/18/17 03:28 AM
A
a74aggie Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
I planted a bunch of sweet potatoes one year and the hogs ate every one of them. Right after, my son came down and shot his first one. We butchered it and he took it home and cooked it. I asked him what it tasted like and he said, SWEET POTATOES !! I laughed my [censored] off....
Seriously, he thought the ribs were as good as ones from a restaurant.

The first one I ever had processed - the processor would not process it without mixing it 50/50 with regular pork. I didn't ask why, just figured it was another way to get into my pocket.....

�The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.� Edmund Burke

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person
Re: Delicious hogs [Re: ] #6637709 01/18/17 12:01 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
“Delicious hogs”

Yep!

Eleven out of twelve buzzards agree, they are worth standing in line for. wink

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Delicious hogs [Re: cabosandinh] #6637939 01/18/17 03:09 PM
J
JimRitcholds481 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted By: cabosandinh

Originally Posted By: cabosandinh

Sorry but when someone calls me fat and lazy and a high fence owner I get a little pissed off. duel

Re: Delicious hogs [Re: JimRitcholds481] #6638167 01/18/17 05:43 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

Did you personally witness said hogs killing cow/calf? Its one of those things you would have to see to believe.

Ive seen them eat plenty of dead stuff they found laying around, and its not uncommon for a cow to die calving... any chance moma and calf died in labor and hogs scavenged? If you were there watching I find it hard to believe you just let the hogs at her popcorn

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Delicious hogs [Re: ] #6638184 01/18/17 05:54 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
they will eat meat when they get the chance... they will take what they can get aholt of... iv never herd of live cattle but I don't doubt it one bit... calfs are easy pickins at birth we have more trouble with buzzards killing them than anything.... have walked up on more than a few deer I had been tracking just to find pigs eating them... I shoot and let many many many hogs lay.. I also have plenty of wild hog meat in the freezer and will grab some straps now and then... they eat good but they cause even more trouble....

jim.... you need a beer if someone set you off that easy you may need a few more than that

Re: Delicious hogs [Re: ] #6638190 01/18/17 05:58 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
I would say the cow was prolly already having issues at birth and down for a group of pigs to take that chance... maybe not dead but she would have died anyway... with a healthy cow she would have stomped the calf trying to protect it if they kept harassing her... that's what the buzzards do to get the calf... they start messing with the cow at all ends and the cow turns circles to fast to face them and tramples the calf... they have become quite the predators around our area..i lost 3 kid goats to them last year also

Re: Delicious hogs [Re: ] #6638222 01/18/17 06:26 PM
J
JimRitcholds481 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Im pretty sure she was alive when the hogs showed up, the calf was coming out backwards so I think the hogs heard the momma having issues and figured they would have an easy meal. The calf was absolutely destroyed and the momma wasn't even touched which is why I believe she was still trying to birth the calf upon the attack. The entire area around her was torn up which also makes me think she was trying to fight them off she was only a 5 year old and seemingly in perfect health. I'm like you, more often than hogs it's buzzards gettin laying calves, my opinion on the hogs vs cows has changed the last couple weeks with this incident and one other where a group of hogs was running a calf down a creek, I was there and witnessed this incident and shot 2 which stopped them. Our place is so over run with pigs, each pasture is torn up on our 4000 acres. I have 3 full processed hogs in my deep freezer n can't fit anymore. At this point I'm more interested in eradicating them rather than managing the, again, to any of the THF members who want some wild pig meat, id love to give y'all whatever you want. But to answer your question I didn't witness the attack, but with the "evidence" provided I feel like my assumption is correct. As far as the beer goes, i think my home brew may have influenced my temper a tad bit roflmao pretty sure i fell hook line and sinker into the trolls trap.

Last edited by JimRitcholds481; 01/18/17 06:35 PM.
Re: Delicious hogs [Re: ] #6638238 01/18/17 06:43 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
I would highly suggest finding a good trustworthy fella to run dogs on your property if you want to put true pressure on them. People hear the bad and think everyone who does this is out to poach their land and take advantage... we use to gain lots of property after deer season to run pigs on... it really puts true pressure on them and you will be surprised how fewer you will see after a while of doing it... most guys take the pigs out alive so there is no worries about gun fire or stray bullets.... you should tag along once also if you haven't been on a run... you may find a new hobby cheers

Re: Delicious hogs [Re: ] #6638252 01/18/17 06:54 PM
J
JimRitcholds481 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
definitely will look into that, all the videos iv seen about it look nuts. I don't know if i really want to be that close to a live wild hog though lol, i like the being 100 yards away and a 300mag approach. Y'all don't ever get tore up by them things?

Re: Delicious hogs [Re: JimRitcholds481] #6638256 01/18/17 07:00 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Y'all don't ever get tore up by them things?

no, I like having them around

i am guilty of contributing to their delinquencies by feeding them, very well

Re: Delicious hogs [Re: JimRitcholds481] #6639477 01/19/17 03:18 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
definitely will look into that, all the videos iv seen about it look nuts. I don't know if i really want to be that close to a live wild hog though lol, i like the being 100 yards away and a 300mag approach. Y'all don't ever get tore up by them things?

Na out of the 4-5yrs doing it you had more of a chance to get accidently nipped by a dog pulling them off than get hurt by the pig itself.. you just stay away from the head... grab the back legs flip them and put a knee in their girth and you got um.. once you get hobbles on um they are caught... we had an extremely good rednose that I trusted enough to walk up on any pig he had aholt of... he never checked up and never let go once he latched... he only weighed maybe 40lbs but shut down boars over 250lbs... just make sure you get some experienced guys to do it... ask around the local feed store someone will know someone worth trusting.

Re: Delicious hogs [Re: ] #6645337 01/23/17 09:16 PM
D
Da' Hitman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Anyone having a problem with hogs, I would love to come out with my wife and shoot a couple. Just let me know where and when and we're there!

Re: Delicious hogs [Re: ] #6658049 02/02/17 03:00 AM
C
cliffie Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Just a note on hogs eating live things-
My first experience with hogs was 1967 at a small hog farm in Richfield, UT. I was there deer hunting and the owner took us out to the hog pen as soon as we arrived. He made it very plain that our lives would be in danger if we went into the hog pen. With that he took a deer skeleton (recently cleaned) and threw it in the pen. A riot occurred as all the hogs fought over the bones and meat. You could hear the bones crunching clear back at the farm house.
I took his words to heart! Your mileage may vary.

Re: Delicious hogs [Re: Jbell99] #6658305 02/02/17 01:03 PM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted By: Jbell99
I was very surprised I've always heard they weren't good and on a recent deer hunting trip a couple of the guys shot pigs and we quartered one and put them on the smoker and I was amazed I can honestly say in my opinion it's better than farm raised less fat and great eating!

Yes sir, I agree but don't care for big boars

Re: Delicious hogs [Re: ] #6658373 02/02/17 01:54 PM
billybob Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
[quote=]I have shot all manner of hogs, big ones, little ones and medium ones. And i have come to the conclusion they are all delicious, even the big boars. I hear people all the time saying they are nasty and stink and this and that. Well let me tell you, elk stink too! And they are debateably the best eating wild game out there. So my message to anyone who says wild pig isnt good table fair, no you're just lazy and want an excuse to shoot pigs and leave them laying. [/quote]

You need to shoot a few more then....they are not all delicious! It would be a tossup on eating a turd in a booger mash than eating some of them! barf

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide