2017 Draw Elk Hunts #6639169 01/19/17 06:45 AM
H
huntnfishtx Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
H
Hey Guys,

Just finished fine tuning my choices for New Mexico's draw for 2017. This year didn't take a lot of time as I just changed 1 of my 3 picks from last year. This year I'm just gonna put in all 3 choices for 2nd bow in the Gila.

My question(s) is/are-
How long do you spend researching before deciding which units to put in for?
What do you look for in a unit?
How many states do you put in for?
Do you put in for draw hunts by yourself or with a group?

They don't put the word "eat" in "meat" for nothin you hippie
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: 2017 Draw Elk Hunts [Re: huntnfishtx] #6639306 01/19/17 01:50 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Not long on units. Pretty much same ones year over year, unless I'm going use points(CO and AZ). Then I'm spending some time. CO and Idaho are back up states for me.

My previous research hasn't changed much, tag#'s, access and terrain are my to biggest things I look at.

I'm usually in on 4-5 states. Most my states I apply in are lottery type draw odds units or hunts though.

I have used the old Cabelas tag system in the past and now do it myself.

Some states I'm on a ticket(elk) others my self(sheep, moose, mulie, elk)

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: 2017 Draw Elk Hunts [Re: huntnfishtx] #6639527 01/19/17 03:33 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Cant answer as good as BoBo did, but I knew a guy that hunted my area of Colorado every other year or so, with 2 buddies, only when they didn't draw for the Gila (bow). According to them, they would at least take one bull there out of the hunters and drew every other, to 2 years using one guy as the lead of the group, next application they'd use one of the other fellas.

He told me the hunting pressure was far less than Co and their best tactic was getting on the ridge tops and listening for bugles, then formulate a plan. If they didnt all get a bull, they said they all usually had an oppurtunity. Don't know if what they said was legit, but they where good fellas and I have no reason to doubt what they said.

They hunted Co for the same logic BOBO does, as a backup to at least hunt.

BTW, Good to see you BOBO up

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: 2017 Draw Elk Hunts [Re: huntnfishtx] #6640248 01/19/17 10:36 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Thanks western.

My thoughts on NM, there are no bad units. There are as good as you make them. But there are some exceptional units

NM for most part is less pressure and easier terrain then CO. Only bad on NM is the draw system isn't slated towards NR(but LO voucher system is). If you plan to up your odds and go with outfitter and just want to hunt good elk, make sure they are licensed in a higher draw odd unit also for your third choice.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: 2017 Draw Elk Hunts [Re: huntnfishtx] #6640347 01/19/17 11:54 PM
S
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I've hunted the Gila 3 years in a row, love it, see alot of elk evertime but hunt with a guide, last year was the 1st year I didn't bring animal home missed a 350" bull at 400 yds with muzzleloader.

You just have to decide if you want to wait to draw for quality or draw for a unit where you can draw more reguarly but will probably shoot rag horns.

Re: 2017 Draw Elk Hunts [Re: sparrish8] #6640744 01/20/17 04:39 AM
H
huntnfishtx Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: sparrish8
I've hunted the Gila 3 years in a row, love it, see alot of elk evertime but hunt with a guide, last year was the 1st year I didn't bring animal home missed a 350" bull at 400 yds with muzzleloader.

You just have to decide if you want to wait to draw for quality or draw for a unit where you can draw more reguarly but will probably shoot rag horns.

How'd you manage to get in the Gila 3 years straight?!

This will be my 2nd year putting in for the Gila. I didn't draw last year. CO 3rd season OTC is my packup plan. 1st year in CO I didn't even see an animal other than a bear that came too close. This past year, I was covered in mule deer and cows, but no bulls.

They don't put the word "eat" in "meat" for nothin you hippie
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: 2017 Draw Elk Hunts [Re: huntnfishtx] #6642453 01/21/17 03:12 PM
F
Fitzwho Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Last year was my first year putting in for draw hunts. I ended up drawing 5 tags in 4 states (NM, AZ, AK and UT). I'm building points for most species in Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, and Nevada. And points for sheep, moose, etc everywhere else that I can.

This year, I'll be putting in for Unit 36 in New Mexico for Elk, but it has about 2% draw odds. I should be able to draw mule deer tags in Colorado, Utah, and/or Wyoming. With some possibility of spike/cow or bull elk tags I those same areas. I'll have a newborn in just a few weeks, so I am still trying to figure out which of those states have the best harvest odds since I won't be able to make all of them.

Permian_Skullworks on Instagram
Re: 2017 Draw Elk Hunts [Re: huntnfishtx] #6642682 01/21/17 06:40 PM
S
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: huntnfishtx
Originally Posted By: sparrish8

How'd you manage to get in the Gila 3 years straight?!

This will be my 2nd year putting in for the Gila. I didn't draw last year. CO 3rd season OTC is my packup plan. 1st year in CO I didn't even see an animal other than a bear that came too close. This past year, I was covered in mule deer and cows, but no bulls.

I buy landowner vouchers if I don't draw, I've never drawn elk their only mule deer.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide