Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Scopes discussion [Re: Christian0214] #6648268 01/25/17 05:32 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I own several of the Minox optics. Mostly their upper-level stuff. I do have 2 of the ZV3 series scopes and they have VERY sharp and clear optics. Warranty is good, I've used it on one of the ZX5 HD scopes I have. Took about 3 weeks from me sending it in to getting the scope back. For the price that Cameraland is selling them for, that's quite the deal.
Nikon scopes I haven't owned for a number of years. Got burned on one quite some time ago on one and never looked at them again until recently. I like what I saw in the pro-staff models but went a different direction.
I haven't owned any of the Vortex products but, from all the rave reviews they get, I'm guessing they do a pretty good job on their glass.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: Scopes discussion [Re: Christian0214] #6648382 01/25/17 06:43 PM
S
snarkscarbine Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Just to provide a little info on the Minox brand....

I own 2 of them, the ZX5 and the ZP5, and I used to own a ZA5.

The ZA5 was a scope that came with a rifle that I bought used. Right after I got it from the previous owner it basically fell apart. I called Minox and they said send it in. They got it back and confirmed that it was toast, and said they'd send me a brand new one from their new (better) ZX5 line, and they said they could send me the more expensive illuminated model no problem.

The ZP5 is their top tier scope ($3k) with their brand new reticle. It showed up with a QC issue. I called it to their attention and they sent me a shipping label and are going to swap it out for a new one.

Another little perk: Minox's US distribution is being handled by the parent company, Blaser USA, out of San Antonio.

Last edited by snarkscarbine; 01/25/17 06:44 PM.
Re: Scopes discussion [Re: yodasheet] #6648640 01/25/17 09:13 PM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: yodasheet
Bushnell, Nikon and Vortex were my runners up, I ended up going with vortex after reading this write-up on Tango Tactics:

https://tangotactics.com/best-rifle-scope/

Don't know anything about the writer. How he could pick a Crossfire number one is beyond me.

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: Scopes discussion [Re: Christian0214] #6648666 01/25/17 09:25 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I have never understood why all these stories about how great the company is when you send their scopes back is somehow considered a positive for that company.

If I have to send something back (that was not my fault), IMO it is already a failed purchase at that point. Unless that brand has proven itself basically ironclad so that I know it's a rare exception, I will never buy that brand again.

I can't afford to have gear fail during a hunt. Any hunt - from sitting in a blind at my farm to sitting on a mountaintop in the Yukon. I don't care how great the warranty is. The best customer service is making a product so well that the warranty is not ever needed.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Scopes discussion [Re: Christian0214] #6648791 01/25/17 10:42 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Everyone is now pretty much matching vortex's no fault warranty to stay competitive.

Big deal to me. I bent a scope and vortex sent me a new one. No questions' warranty is big deal.

It's nice to know that even with in individual MFG premium lines it follows suit.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Scopes discussion [Re: Christian0214] #6648824 01/25/17 11:08 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I think you missed my point in the parenthesis "(that's not my fault)".

If I'm having to send a comapanies' stuff back for QC issues, I don't have faith in the companies' products. I constantly read reviews saying stuff like "When my packstrap ripped at the seam" or "When my rainproof jacket leaked" or "When my scope's turret locked", etc. I sent it back and they repaired/replaced it quickly and at no charge. "Great company and customer service!"

All I can think is "Dang, what if I were in the field when that happened? That would suck." smile

So I try to buy products that I don't think will cause me to ever need the warranty. That said, nearly all companies these days have good warranties anyway as you point out.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Scopes discussion [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6648993 01/26/17 12:45 AM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I have never understood why all these stories about how great the company is when you send their scopes back is somehow considered a positive for that company.

If I have to send something back (that was not my fault), IMO it is already a failed purchase at that point. Unless that brand has proven itself basically ironclad so that I know it's a rare exception, I will never buy that brand again.

I can't afford to have gear fail during a hunt. Any hunt - from sitting in a blind at my farm to sitting on a mountaintop in the Yukon. I don't care how great the warranty is. The best customer service is making a product so well that the warranty is not ever needed.

I agree. Which is one of the reasons I stay away from Crossfires along with my perception of them having sub-standard glass and a hyper-critical eyebox. I've seen too many defective Crossfires. Vortex does put out some good stuff IMO, but the Crossfire ain't it.

Another is, Leupold's warranty is worded pretty much the same, the way it is enforced makes it work effectively the same as Vortex and has been around a hell of a lot longer. Yet you don't hear people touting the Leupold warranty nearly as much as Vortex.

Re: Scopes discussion [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6649274 01/26/17 04:57 AM
S
snarkscarbine Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S

I agree, but every product has a certain failure rate. Shmidt & Bender every once in a while ship a scope that has an issue that probably should've been caught in QC. No company's processes are perfect. When you're spending money on something like this it's nice to know that if you have an issue they'll take care of it. Most high-end optics companies have a very low lemon rate. Saying "buy with confidence; they're good for it if you ever run into an issue" is not the same thing as saying "the warranty is the main selling point."

I get what you're saying, but I think you may be missing the point.

Last edited by snarkscarbine; 01/26/17 05:25 AM.
Re: Scopes discussion [Re: Christian0214] #6650073 01/26/17 10:12 PM
G
Greg Z Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Big fan of both Nikon and Leupold. My first scope on my .06 was a Simmons. I was hunting in a heavy rain and the scope fogged and never cleared. Took it back and used the refund to get the Leupold and have not looked back.

Greg Ziemer
Sewell Lexus
214-597-6006
Life's short... Enjoy the ride!
Re: Scopes discussion [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6650140 01/26/17 10:57 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

If I'm having to send a comapanies' stuff back for QC issues, I don't have faith in the companies' products. I constantly read reviews saying stuff like "When my packstrap ripped at the seam" or "When my rainproof jacket leaked" or "When my scope's turret locked", etc. I sent it back and they repaired/replaced it quickly and at no charge. "Great company and customer service!"

All I can think is "Dang, what if I were in the field when that happened? That would suck." smile

So I try to buy products that I don't think will cause me to ever need the warranty. That said, nearly all companies these days have good warranties anyway as you point out.

Didn't miss it. Everything eventually fails it's the nature of mechanical devices. Knowing a company doesn't have a "limited" warranty is a big piece of mind. If I have to use warranty right off the bat I wouldn't be happy with the product

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Scopes discussion [Re: Christian0214] #6650397 01/27/17 02:28 AM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
One inadvertent plus to the Vortex warranty is it forced other companies to step up to the plate. Several scope companies have upgraded their warranty the last couple of years, Bushnell being the most recent if I recall.

I don't believe Nogalus is missing the point at all.

Re: Scopes discussion [Re: Christian0214] #6650906 01/27/17 03:41 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Warranty and quality are two different things. I prefer a generous helping of each, thank you.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Scopes discussion [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6650953 01/27/17 04:15 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Why do you think Zeiss, Leica, Swaro, S&B, and everyone else for that matter have customer service and repair centers? They all fail, some more than others. I had a SwaroA 3-10x42 give up the ghost while I was shooting at a 190" mule deer a few years ago. Do all Swaro's suck?

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide