Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,786
Posts9,729,157
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
DJ Farms to start or another reasonable Duck/Goose hunting lease? #6633293 01/15/17 03:02 PM
N
NrthwstHntr Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
N
Looking for a decent Duck/Goose hunting lease as I'm newer to the area. I've found mixed reviews regarding this but mostly to the positive. I have the time to scout and live in Frisco. Would this be the way to go or does anyone have another lease that's open for next season with a reasonable price (under $1000) and within an hours drive? We hunt two private lakes in Dorchester and Van Alstyne but they're not my places. I'm also on the Frisco Ducks Unlimited Committee and looking to meet some fellow hunters. Thanks for the information. Greatly appreciated!

Re: DJ Farms to start or another reasonable Duck/Goose hunting lease? [Re: NrthwstHntr] #6633418 01/15/17 04:50 PM
I
Indiancreekducks87 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
I
I've never hunted with them, but I can tell you one of their properties, cooks lake, isn't what they claim it is. We had permission to hunt it for 5 years prior to them leasing it. Their page claims it's excellent teal and duck hunting but in fact it is not. Only in an extreme drought year is it good, when the water level gets down to ankle deep. Other than that it literally hold zero birds. It has a quick sand bottom with zero vegetation under normal water levels. Just a heads up.

Re: DJ Farms to start or another reasonable Duck/Goose hunting lease? [Re: NrthwstHntr] #6633457 01/15/17 05:32 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You get what you pay for with DJ Farms. They been doing this for a long time.

Originally Posted By: NrthwstHntr
does anyone have another lease that's open for next season with a reasonable price (under $1000) and within an hours drive?

You won't find this on the internet. Only thing you will find on the internet are high priced duck leases. Why are the leases marketed on the internet higher? Because they can get it, plenty of duck hunters, with money, looking for the easy button what the internet provides.

To find a good deal, you gotta work for it. This means knocking on doors and networking.

Re: DJ Farms to start or another reasonable Duck/Goose hunting lease? [Re: NrthwstHntr] #6633707 01/15/17 09:16 PM
N
NrthwstHntr Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
N
Great information guys, Thanks very much. That's why I wanted to ask someone that knows the areas. I figured there was a catch. I've got some ideas of hunting spots for next season so I'll see what I can do.

Re: DJ Farms to start or another reasonable Duck/Goose hunting lease? [Re: NrthwstHntr] #6633768 01/15/17 10:15 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
No connections on the DU committee? Not surprising.

I've taken a number of DUC members on public hunts that could subsequently be found hunting in the same spots or vicinity after they stopped asking me to take them hunting or got a boat.

When you do get some good spots, I'd suggest keeping them to yourself. up

Re: DJ Farms to start or another reasonable Duck/Goose hunting lease? [Re: NrthwstHntr] #6634026 01/16/17 12:22 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Butler pissing me off!!!

Re: DJ Farms to start or another reasonable Duck/Goose hunting lease? [Re: Guy] #6634038 01/16/17 12:25 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Dez TD!

Re: DJ Farms to start or another reasonable Duck/Goose hunting lease? [Re: Guy] #6634042 01/16/17 12:26 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
No ways you stop Dak on that!!!!!!

Re: DJ Farms to start or another reasonable Duck/Goose hunting lease? [Re: NrthwstHntr] #6634098 01/16/17 12:46 AM
E
Esh and Hattie Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Guess we'll see if Dak's got it now

Re: DJ Farms to start or another reasonable Duck/Goose hunting lease? [Re: NrthwstHntr] #6634212 01/16/17 01:15 AM
thomas_z71 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I loved DJ Farms up until 2 years ago when I got on the lease as a single when a few buddies dropped out. I was working at the time so I couldn't really hunt much during the week. They started to try to manage the huntable ponds and only allow a certain number of hunters on each on certain days. I like the attempt to manage, it's good for trying to keep the places from getting shot out. My issue was I could not say 4 weeks in advance if I could hunt this Saturday or that Sunday. Everytime I called and asked to hunt a "good" pond, I was told I couldn't. I'm by no means an expert, but I've been on the lease a few years, and as a single with that in mind, I figured even if a group was on a pond I would be allowed to join the hunt. Needless to say I was only able to go a handful of times and shot ZERO birds. I now work from home so I'd consider rejoining as like I said before in previous years the hunting was okay. Not great, but an hour from Plano was worth it for me to freeze my [censored] off and chunk a few decoys. you also get to dove hunt too which I've yet to do there, but hear good things if you go in the first couple weeks. Vernon on here and David who managed the ponds are both great people.

Re: DJ Farms to start or another reasonable Duck/Goose hunting lease? [Re: Esh and Hattie] #6634253 01/16/17 01:34 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Esh and Hattie
Guess we'll see if Dak's got it now

Lol, thought I was posting on another thread!

Re: DJ Farms to start or another reasonable Duck/Goose hunting lease? [Re: thomas_z71] #6634289 01/16/17 01:59 AM
N
NrthwstHntr Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
N
Thanks for the information. I came from Portland, Oregon and used to hunt a game refuge on east and west side of Sauvie Island. Strictly managed. Tons of birds though from beginning to end of season. I could deal with managed in that situation as even on a bad day you'd still drop a few. But if there's only a couple huntable ponds and you're always shut down I might take a tour and get the lay of the place. Ask a lot of questions before I make that decision. I'm not a fan of having to have reservations every time either. You can't argue with the price though and every comment I've seen about the owners have nothing but good things to say! I've never dove hunted but apparently now that I'm in Texas I've been told that I have to start! And it's an excuse to buy a 20 gauge!

Re: DJ Farms to start or another reasonable Duck/Goose hunting lease? [Re: aerangis] #6634298 01/16/17 02:04 AM
N
NrthwstHntr Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
N
Understood. My hunting partner on our two private ponds is from the committee. They're good places off and on but looking for my own.

Re: DJ Farms to start or another reasonable Duck/Goose hunting lease? [Re: NrthwstHntr] #6635888 01/17/17 03:28 AM
K
known hunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
K
You are wasting your time at DJ's for duck hunting, Probably the Frisco DU too. If you have access to Dorchester and Van Alstyne don't screw those up. I have access up there and it is been loaded up since Xmas but I am lucky. No one is going to lease anything In that area. Leasing small ponds in Fannin county has become a joke. Sorry but you left a lot more hunting opportunities in the NW than you will have down here. I would look more towards the Wichita Falls area or save up and have and make a few quality hunts with a guy like Blake.

Re: DJ Farms to start or another reasonable Duck/Goose hunting lease? [Re: known hunter] #6636764 01/17/17 08:16 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: thomas_z71
I loved DJ Farms up until 2 years ago when I got on the lease as a single when a few buddies dropped out. I was working at the time so I couldn't really hunt much during the week. They started to try to manage the huntable ponds and only allow a certain number of hunters on each on certain days. I like the attempt to manage, it's good for trying to keep the places from getting shot out. My issue was I could not say 4 weeks in advance if I could hunt this Saturday or that Sunday. Everytime I called and asked to hunt a "good" pond, I was told I couldn't. I'm by no means an expert, but I've been on the lease a few years, and as a single with that in mind, I figured even if a group was on a pond I would be allowed to join the hunt. Needless to say I was only able to go a handful of times and shot ZERO birds. I now work from home so I'd consider rejoining as like I said before in previous years the hunting was okay. Not great, but an hour from Plano was worth it for me to freeze my [censored] off and chunk a few decoys. you also get to dove hunt too which I've yet to do there, but hear good things if you go in the first couple weeks. Vernon on here and David who managed the ponds are both great people.

Originally Posted By: known hunter
You are wasting your time at DJ's for duck hunting, Probably the Frisco DU too. If you have access to Dorchester and Van Alstyne don't screw those up.

I agree with both. Before they had to reserve a pond it was first come first serve. I had some great hunts many years ago after a huge rain and you had to walk almost a mile to the big pond. I did one year after the new management deal and nothing was available very often. The other big problem with it is that if you have it reserved you are more than likely gonna show up. End result is that the ponds NEVER get any rest. Unless you get lucky and reserve it on a good migration day, which you would never have any chance of knowing far enough ahead of time to book it, your weren't gonna see much.

Re: DJ Farms to start or another reasonable Duck/Goose hunting lease? [Re: NrthwstHntr] #6637055 01/17/17 11:37 PM
thomas_z71 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Larry did we ever meet? I was out there with a couple other guys on this forum, Stephen and Tommy(can't remember their screennames). Good dudes. I walked to the big pond alone one day and dam near killed myself after piling up that black dirt about 10 yards in LOL.

Re: DJ Farms to start or another reasonable Duck/Goose hunting lease? [Re: NrthwstHntr] #6645442 01/23/17 10:19 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I'm not sure, maybe so. I met a few folks out there, all were good guys.

I hear ya about the mud!!!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide