Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Training Collars [Re: RutledgeRealtyGroup] #6632212 01/14/17 06:01 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
You really don't need much range with a lab.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Training Collars [Re: RutledgeRealtyGroup] #6632288 01/14/17 07:06 PM
A
arandy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
I have one Sportdog 1825 and my hunting partner has two just like it. We bought them when they first came out and have never had any problem of any sort out of the three and they get used a lot. I do send them in every third year for a battery change but don't think that is unreasonable. Might not be as good as some others but for sure the best we have tried over the years. Would buy another 1825 or maybe a 1225 if one of those 3 should quit. Reliable and does the job way out there if needed.

Re: Training Collars [Re: RutledgeRealtyGroup] #6633466 01/15/17 05:37 PM
M
Misfire Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
I have the Garmin Sport Pro two collar set. I bought it about a year and a half ago. At that time my youngest pup was 8 or 9 months old. She was showing a bit of aggression and barking at our neighbors dogs on the other side of the fence. I decided to take the second collar (red color band), program it for bark mode and put it on my dog. The "bark" mode stimulation was supposed to be progressive, starting low and then progressing intensity as the dog continues to bark. Once the dog stops barking the program resets itself to low intensity and the cycle starts again. This is supposed to allow the dog to associate the stimulation to the barking without "all or nothing" intensity like a lot of "low end" collars have.

Within a few minutes of putting the collar on the dog, she barked. Immediately she let out a blood curdling cry and bolted across the yard and underneath my RV. I was standing next to her for the first stimulation and her reaction was as if she was receiving a "full dose" not a "low dose." She never stopped crying and the collar never stopped stimulating. By the time I crawled under the camper, pulled her out and got the collar off of her she was foaming at the mouth, had deficated everywhere and her neck was slightly burned. I had been bitten all over my hands. It was horrible. I cried.

The next day I called the place I had bought the collar from and was told they had not had similar reports. Next I called Garmin and explained the situation. They asked me a few questions and finally told me that their collars were perfectly fine. They felt as though the episode was related to user error and that I must have done something wrong when programming the collar. I accepted their explanation and took responsibly.

Low and behold a few days later I received a replacement "second" collar from Garmin under recall and return packaging for my existing collar. The recall only affected the "second collar." The primary collar was fine. The recall was due to a "programing error" on some " second collars in the two collar set. I have no idea what went wrong, if it was my fault or theirs but I traded the collar out and haven't had a problem since. Admittedly, I haven't used "bark mode" since and probably never will.

"I wanna go fast" -Ricky Bobby

"Mind bottling isn't it?" -Chazz Michael Michaels

Re: Training Collars [Re: RutledgeRealtyGroup] #6633500 01/15/17 06:06 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
I know they had a problem with the bark mode, when they first came out. Garage door openers on the same signal giving the dog a high correction.
I know the supplier, and they took the collar back.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Training Collars [Re: RutledgeRealtyGroup] #6633507 01/15/17 06:12 PM
C
changedmyname Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Never tried bark mode.
Also, If you go garmin, don't get a delta.

Re: Training Collars [Re: RutledgeRealtyGroup] #6634271 01/16/17 01:46 AM
M
maximumintensityretriever Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I use the Dogtra Edge RT. I have a Garmin Pro 550 as well but have found that it's not near as effective as the Dogtra.

Tony Marshall
Maximum Intensity Retrievers
https://m.facebook.com/maximumintensity.retrievers
(903) 720-6842
Re: Training Collars [Re: RutledgeRealtyGroup] #6636944 01/17/17 10:24 PM
R
RutledgeRealtyGroup Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
R
UPDATE: I received my Garmin Sport Pro's today and they are on the charger now. Thank you everyone for your input! I will keep y'all updated with any cons.

Chase Rutledge
RUTLEDGE REALTY GROUP, LLC.
Located in Parker County
Cell: 817-694-2954 (Call or Text)
Email:rutledgechase4@yahoo.com
Re: Training Collars [Re: RutledgeRealtyGroup] #6655103 01/31/17 02:15 AM
R
RutledgeRealtyGroup Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
R
UPDATE: From no prior experience with collars, the Garmin Sport Pro is easy to learn, small in your hand and offers PLENTYYYY of "stimulation" on my labs. The lights at night are an awesome feature and though they don't put out enough light to offer you any light, they are nice to see as an added layer of awareness. The tone isn't the loudness but loud enough that they can hear it. The vibe is also nice to have as they pick up on it pretty quickly and allows me to use tone for another command.

Chase Rutledge
RUTLEDGE REALTY GROUP, LLC.
Located in Parker County
Cell: 817-694-2954 (Call or Text)
Email:rutledgechase4@yahoo.com
Re: Training Collars [Re: RutledgeRealtyGroup] #6662665 02/05/17 07:35 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: RutledgeRealtyGroup
UPDATE: I received my Garmin Sport Pro's today and they are on the charger now. Thank you everyone for your input! I will keep y'all updated with any cons.

I got my eye on that one too. This is what you got? That's Steve's pick!!

http://www.gundogsupply.com/garmin-tri-tronics-sport-pro.html

Re: Training Collars [Re: Misfire] #6662678 02/05/17 07:51 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Misfire
I have the Garmin Sport Pro two collar set. I bought it about a year and a half ago. At that time my youngest pup was 8 or 9 months old. She was showing a bit of aggression and barking at our neighbors dogs on the other side of the fence. I decided to take the second collar (red color band), program it for bark mode and put it on my dog. The "bark" mode stimulation was supposed to be progressive, starting low and then progressing intensity as the dog continues to bark. Once the dog stops barking the program resets itself to low intensity and the cycle starts again. This is supposed to allow the dog to associate the stimulation to the barking without "all or nothing" intensity like a lot of "low end" collars have.

Within a few minutes of putting the collar on the dog, she barked. Immediately she let out a blood curdling cry and bolted across the yard and underneath my RV. I was standing next to her for the first stimulation and her reaction was as if she was receiving a "full dose" not a "low dose." She never stopped crying and the collar never stopped stimulating. By the time I crawled under the camper, pulled her out and got the collar off of her she was foaming at the mouth, had deficated everywhere and her neck was slightly burned. I had been bitten all over my hands. It was horrible. I cried.

The next day I called the place I had bought the collar from and was told they had not had similar reports. Next I called Garmin and explained the situation. They asked me a few questions and finally told me that their collars were perfectly fine. They felt as though the episode was related to user error and that I must have done something wrong when programming the collar. I accepted their explanation and took responsibly.

Low and behold a few days later I received a replacement "second" collar from Garmin under recall and return packaging for my existing collar. The recall only affected the "second collar." The primary collar was fine. The recall was due to a "programing error" on some " second collars in the two collar set. I have no idea what went wrong, if it was my fault or theirs but I traded the collar out and haven't had a problem since. Admittedly, I haven't used "bark mode" since and probably never will.

Man that's a terrible story.

Re: Training Collars [Re: kbobbjr] #6662683 02/05/17 07:59 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: kbobbjr
I've used them all and Sportdog, in my opinion, is the best. I'd go with the 1225 instead of the 425 if cost is an issue. If not then jump up to the 1825. Sportdog is the only company that will warranty their transmitters if they are dropped in the water and suffer damage because of it. The others only claim to be water resistant and the fine print states the warranty doesn't cover water damage.

I was just looking at the Sports Pro, says the transmitter floats!

Re: Training Collars [Re: RutledgeRealtyGroup] #6662696 02/05/17 08:23 PM
S
sallysue Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I want one with a clip so I can clip it to my vest and a strap also any suggestions My trytronic is about 15 years old but its day are limited I feel

Re: Training Collars [Re: changedmyname] #6666456 02/08/17 02:11 PM
J
JDShellnut Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: changedmyname
Never tried bark mode.
Also, If you go garmin, don't get a delta.

Agree. I've got a Delta and I'm not happy with it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide