5786810 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6624805 - 01/09/17 08:12 PM Training Collars
RutledgeRealtyGroup Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Weatherford, TX
I'm new to the training collar world and I'm searching for some inside advice. Between the SportDOG SD 425 and the Garmin Sport Pro, does anyone have any personal experience with either? I have a friend that recommends the SportDOG because he has had Garmins and he wasn't too impressed with them. I have two, one year old labs.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by RutledgeRealtyGroup (01/09/17 08:16 PM)
Cell: 817-694-2954 (Call or Text)
Email:rutledgechase4@yahoo.com

#6624934 - 01/09/17 08:59 PM Re: Training Collars [Re: RutledgeRealtyGroup]
Leonardo Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Wise County
I use a Garmin Pro 550 two collar system. Train 4 to 5 days a week and dont have any issues.

#6624939 - 01/09/17 09:02 PM Re: Training Collars [Re: RutledgeRealtyGroup]
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Abilene, TX
In general Garmin and Dogtra are the top of the line e-collar manufacturers. Most pros who use e-collars day in and day out year after year use Garmin and Dogtra....

You will get a wide range of opinions but the facts are that Garmin and Dogtra are the better collars.

With that said I guess if you bought a lower end Garmin vs the top of the line SportDog they could be similar in quality.

I personally use the Dogtra 1900s and I really like it. I use it almost every day and Ive charged it twice in a year. The next collar I get will probably be the Dogtra edge RT or Garmin Pro 550 due to the difference in level selection.

#6625518 - 01/10/17 08:22 AM Re: Training Collars [Re: RutledgeRealtyGroup]
kbobbjr Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Josephine, Tx
I've used them all and Sportdog, in my opinion, is the best. I'd go with the 1225 instead of the 425 if cost is an issue. If not then jump up to the 1825. Sportdog is the only company that will warranty their transmitters if they are dropped in the water and suffer damage because of it. The others only claim to be water resistant and the fine print states the warranty doesn't cover water damage.
www.castilecreekkennels.com
www.facebook.com/castilecreekkennels

#6625654 - 01/10/17 09:35 AM Re: Training Collars [Re: RutledgeRealtyGroup]
TX_Diver Online   content
Bird Dog

I've used the sportdog for a few years now.

Think a lot of it's personal preference. I liked the sport dog because of the dial rather than having to press a button each time I wanted to change the electricity level. Allows me to adjust without looking and still know what level I'm on. If I lose track I just go all the way up or down and count the clicks til I'm back where I want.

#6625936 - 01/10/17 12:17 PM Re: Training Collars [Re: RutledgeRealtyGroup]
Mundo Offline
Woodsman

Garmin 550 easy to step up very good low range. (You want to train as low as possible. You can get dogs to respond to a constant level 1 on a Garmin if train the dog properly before hand.

#6626877 - 01/10/17 09:49 PM Re: Training Collars [Re: kbobbjr]
Leonardo Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Wise County
Originally Posted By: kbobbjr
I've used them all and Sportdog, in my opinion, is the best. I'd go with the 1225 instead of the 425 if cost is an issue. If not then jump up to the 1825. Sportdog is the only company that will warranty their transmitters if they are dropped in the water and suffer damage because of it. The others only claim to be water resistant and the fine print states the warranty doesn't cover water damage.

I know you train for a living so i am interested in your preference other than warranty. Stimulus levels, the transmitter feel in your hand ect... please tell me all you can about it.

#6627874 - 01/11/17 04:15 PM Re: Training Collars [Re: Leonardo]
Migillicutty Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: N. Texas
Originally Posted By: Leonardo

I know you train for a living so i am interested in your preference other than warranty. Stimulus levels, the transmitter feel in your hand ect... please tell me all you can about it.

He doesn't believe that tripe. Lyle is sponsored by sportdog. No one that has ever had any real experience training day in and day out would choose a sportdog over Garmin and Dogtra.

#6627900 - 01/11/17 04:24 PM Re: Training Collars [Re: Migillicutty]
bobcat1 Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Sanger, Texas
popcorn

#6628759 - 01/12/17 08:11 AM Re: Training Collars [Re: Leonardo]
kbobbjr Offline
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: Leonardo

Give me a call so we can talk and not have to worry about others speaking on my behalf. Just for the record, I'm not sponsored by Sportdog and the last time I checked, my name is not Lyle.

#6628900 - 01/12/17 10:05 AM Re: Training Collars [Re: RutledgeRealtyGroup]
Migillicutty Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: N. Texas
OP the truth is Sportdog is junk. Do a search on any of the dog forums including rtf and you will see that they have issues regularly, they die, they don't hold a charge, and are well known for being an inferior product to Garmin and Dogtra. Dogtra has amazing service as well. It depends on what application you are looking for. I have a Garmin (tri tronics) pro 200 for everyday training as I like the tubular style transmitter for every day training and ease of use (larger buttons and dial control for stim level with clicks). I have the dogtra arc for hunting, as I like the slim line design of the receiver collar and the light small transmitter for hanging around my neck during the hunt.

Every serious trainer not sponsored by or not working for a trainer sponsored by Sportdog uses Garmin or Dogtra(make no mistake Kevin has to support Sportdog). Spend the little bit extra and find the right Garmin or Dogtra for your application. It will save you the headache of replacing it sooner rather than later.

#6629409 - 01/12/17 02:51 PM Re: Training Collars [Re: RutledgeRealtyGroup]
Fooshman Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Black Dog, Texas
I have Dogtras.

Custom Crosses and Plaques

#6629935 - 01/12/17 08:04 PM Re: Training Collars [Re: Fooshman]
Pointer Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Bishop, Texas

Just my two cents worth, but I insist on having a dedicated button for each dog. No switch to mess with, no changing screens. That translates in my book, to being too late for a timely correction.

I run pointing dogs, and recently updated to the Garmin Alpha system...BUT ONLY after I found that you could dedicate the buttons on top to a specific dog (collar in my case...I swap dogs out regularly during the hunt).

That is the main feature I look for regardless of the brand of the system.

That said, I have used Tri-tronics (now Garmin)and Garmin GPS equipment for yrs, and have had outstanding service and longevity out of all the equipment I have used.

Their tech support and warranty policies have always been stellar In my experience.

#6629990 - 01/12/17 08:19 PM Re: Training Collars [Re: Migillicutty]
scalebuster Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: Migillicutty
OP the truth is Sportdog is junk. Do a search on any of the dog forums including rtf and you will see that they have issues regularly, they die, they don't hold a charge, and are well known for being an inferior product to Garmin and Dogtra. Dogtra has amazing service as well. It depends on what application you are looking for. I have a Garmin (tri tronics) pro 200 for everyday training as I like the tubular style transmitter for every day training and ease of use (larger buttons and dial control for stim level with clicks). I have the dogtra arc for hunting, as I like the slim line design of the receiver collar and the light small transmitter for hanging around my neck during the hunt.

Every serious trainer not sponsored by or not working for a trainer sponsored by Sportdog uses Garmin or Dogtra(make no mistake Kevin has to support Sportdog). Spend the little bit extra and find the right Garmin or Dogtra for your application. It will save you the headache of replacing it sooner rather than later.

I like this answer.

#6630023 - 01/12/17 08:33 PM Re: Training Collars [Re: Migillicutty]
kbobbjr Offline
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: Migillicutty

Incorrect again, I work for myself. No matter, since I use inferior products therefore I must be incompetent.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide