Page 1 of 2 1 2
He finally checked that Trophy box.....eventually! #6624452 01/09/17 10:59 PM
T
TxAg Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
T
I have a good friend who I'll call J who has been hunting with me on the lease for the past 6 seasons. He is a responsible and ethical hunter, and a good lease member, and as such has passed many young bucks over the years because he wasn't 100% sure they met our management plan. Well, this year I decided we would get him on a Trophy!

Opening Weekend was an eventful one at our place, and movement was good. Well, as luck would have it I had the same nice 8-pt show up at my spot three sits in a row! Of course, as the other side of luck would have it J wasn't there that weekend! The first time I saw him he popped over a little rise to my East, and I immediately got excited. I elected to pass him as I was after a big ol' 6.5yo, and that moment kind of ear-marked him for J. Then, later that weekend he was seen again. The second time he rolled in right at dark and made a big scrape like he owned the place. Two more of my buddies saw him with me that weekend; they both passed him too. We all agreed we'd save him in the hopes that J could get on him two weeks later.

Fast forward two weeks later, and it is just before Thanksgiving, the peak of the rut around our parts. J is getting excited, and we have a plan to hunt my spot together. The weather is right, and the action is good, but no mature bucks show. Finally, it is Sunday morning and J is heading out at lunch. We agree to give it one more go at my spot, and I'm glad we did.

The day dawned cold and clear, with the temp right around 30 degrees. The entire valley covered in frost; Deer hunter’s dream. We did not have to wait long for action. About 6:45 (still pretty dark) we had a nice ~4.5yo 8-pt moving up the bench from the N. He did not stop at corn, and it was too dark to see much about antlers, so we let him go. But, about 7:30, he circled back, this time running a doe in from the East. He was not quite as nice as the buck I'd had in mind, but was a good clean 8-pt who met our plan, a great buck to take. The doe led him on a squirrely little route behind "the kill box", through the creek, around the brush, etc. About that time, 3 more Does, Fawns came in from the North. The buck must have thought the first doe was more trouble than she was worth because he abandoned the chase and came into the kill box. He started eating corn, and I confirmed he was a "legal" 8-pt by our plan guidelines.

It was Go Time for J. He got himself ready, and the buck presented a perfect broadside opportunity at about 85 yds. J fired, the buck hunched up slightly (never a good sign), then ran maybe 15 yds to some brush behind the kill box. We could barely see him. He stood there for maybe 10 min, clearly hit and hurting. But, he did not present any opportunity to put a second shot in him.

I was video'ing the hunt, and upon watching the footage immediately knew we had trouble. J had hit him pretty far back, and low. We gave him a solid 1hr and 20 min before climbing down and checking. Once looking for J's buck, we quickly found blood and trailed him for 60 yds or so. But, it was slow going. For the last 20 yds we had nothing but pin drops. Had two options: get a bunch of guys and do a grid search, with the potential to push him further if he’s alive. And, with the shot placement we saw he very well could have been. Or, back out for a while and call the tracking dog in.

J decided to call the dog. About an hour later the dog showed up. Turned out to be about a 1-min job for the dog, and she found him ~60 yd from where we lost the blood trail. But, I was glad we called: the buck had changed directions, and was holed up in some super thick stuff. Could have taken us a very long time to find him with no blood. All's well that ends well! Congrats to my friend on his first "Trophy" buck, it's one he'll never forget!

Last edited by TxAg; 01/10/17 12:45 AM.
Re: He finally checked that Trophy box.....eventually! [Re: TxAg] #6624466 01/09/17 11:13 PM
B
Bucks and Ducks Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
pm me, your over the limit

Re: He finally checked that Trophy box.....eventually! [Re: TxAg] #6624471 01/09/17 11:17 PM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
up

Re: He finally checked that Trophy box.....eventually! [Re: TxAg] #6624479 01/09/17 11:20 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Congrats on a group effort and getting your friend a great buck!! Great write up and thank you for sharing up

That is what hunting is all about right there. None of this "my spot", "my deer" stuff.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: He finally checked that Trophy box.....eventually! [Re: TxAg] #6624496 01/09/17 11:31 PM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Congratulations to J, good job on following up and finding his buck.

Re: He finally checked that Trophy box.....eventually! [Re: TxAg] #6624519 01/09/17 11:51 PM
B
billyhunt Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
cheers

Re: He finally checked that Trophy box.....eventually! [Re: TxAg] #6624534 01/09/17 11:59 PM
D
dlrz71 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
cheers Congrats to everyone and showing what hunting is all about!!!

Re: He finally checked that Trophy box.....eventually! [Re: TxAg] #6624567 01/10/17 12:10 AM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Great write up and good on you all to pass on that one and let your buddy take him.

However, mature is a stretch for that deer. Not trying to pick a fight or anything, but I bet he isn't much more than 3.5-4.5 yo. If that is your definition of mature then great, but if you are shooting deer like that thinking they are mature you are missing the mark a little.

Re: He finally checked that Trophy box.....eventually! [Re: TxAg] #6624592 01/10/17 12:20 AM
M
Michael W. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
You done good letting him take it. Congrats

A clear conscience is often the sign of a fuzzy memory.
Re: He finally checked that Trophy box.....eventually! [Re: TxAg] #6624602 01/10/17 12:24 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
cheers

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: He finally checked that Trophy box.....eventually! [Re: Texas buckeye] #6624659 01/10/17 12:46 AM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye

However, mature is a stretch for that deer. Not trying to pick a fight or anything, but I bet he isn't much more than 3.5-4.5 yo. If that is your definition of mature then great, but if you are shooting deer like that thinking they are mature you are missing the mark a little.

He's at least 4.5 and likely 5.5 and an 8. That's a shooter anywhere. Silly comment.

Great buck and congrats to J!

Re: He finally checked that Trophy box.....eventually! [Re: TxAg] #6624679 01/10/17 12:55 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Cameron, not trying to pick, but where do you see 5.5 there?

I see flat back, smallish rump compared to shoulders, front legs that look like lollipops coming from his shoulders and not a super thick neck. His neck is swollen for rut in those first couple pics, but nothing else suggests age. Even his antlers don't extend all the way to his nose which isn't romanized. He doesn't have knobby knees either...just wondering where the age is in that buck? I am always learning so please let know. Unless those pics were taken last week and this buck is rutted down terribly, but even then, he doesn't have the look of a bigger deer with floppy loose skin either confused2

Again, not saying he wasn't worth taking, just saying the aging on this deer doesn't scream
Mature to me (and I have been wrong before so please help me out)

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 01/10/17 12:57 AM.
Re: He finally checked that Trophy box.....eventually! [Re: TxAg] #6624683 01/10/17 12:58 AM
N
NDN98 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
up Congrats!

Re: He finally checked that Trophy box.....eventually! [Re: Texas buckeye] #6624685 01/10/17 01:01 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms

I see flat back, smallish rump compared to shoulders, front legs that look like lollipops coming from his shoulders and not a super thick neck. His neck is swollen for rut in those first couple pics, but nothing else suggests age. Even his antlers don't extend all the way to his nose which isn't romanized. He doesn't have knobby knees either...just wondering where the age is in that buck? I am always learning so please let know. Unless those pics were taken last week and this buck is rutted down terribly, but even then, he doesn't have the look of a bigger deer with floppy loose skin either confused2

Again, not saying he wasn't worth taking, just saying the aging on this deer doesn't scream
Mature to me (and I have been wrong before so please help me out)

Without a doubt, a 4.5yo and 5.5 wouldn't surprise me in the least. Hill country deer don't show their age like many deer around the state, and sure don't follow the pamphlet/book that you can use to age deer. I can show you pictures of 6.5yo deer that don't show what you are looking for and had many call him 3.5, but I can show you 3 previous years to prove my point. I have been hunting the same place for over 20 years and still can't age them correctly on certain deer.

And for a lot of places, a 4.5 is considered mature while others call it young to middle aged. From my experience, the deer in that area rarely make it to the 6.5-7.5 age class and when they do, they have already started going downhill some, making 5.5 the prime age. Protein and management can change that, but it isn't uncommon.

Re: He finally checked that Trophy box.....eventually! [Re: TxAg] #6624701 01/10/17 01:12 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Txhntr, appreciate the feedback. I stand corrected then on the aging of this buck.

As stated in my first post, glad you all waited and got your buddy this buck!

Re: He finally checked that Trophy box.....eventually! [Re: Texas buckeye] #6624737 01/10/17 01:30 AM
T
TxAg Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
T
Txhntr, appreciate the feedback. I stand corrected then on the aging of this buck.

Buckeye, no worries. But just in case any others are concerned here's some info you don't have:

A) Our management plan calls for taking 8's at 4.5 and larger at 5.5. We don't attempt to take them to 6.5 like other parts of TX. We are LF in a high pressure part of the Hill Co.
B) We have pulled the jawbones on every single deer we've killed in the last 6 years, and age them with our biologist at the end of the season.
C) Since jaw wear can be highly variable, I also submit the lower center incisor of trophies for Cemmentum Annuli testing.
D) Finally, as TXsHntr pointed out, you need to recalibrate aging on the hoof with Hill Co deer, much lighter built. I look with different eyes in S TX. If you want some help I'm happy to send you pics across all age classes of known deer.

So, long story short I'm real confident on the age of this buck and he's exactly what we sought to take this year. Sure, on some ranches he'd have been a 4.5yo management buck but he's a Trophy to us! Carry on!

Re: He finally checked that Trophy box.....eventually! [Re: Texas buckeye] #6624738 01/10/17 01:31 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms

cheers No worries. I am sure that there are others that would agree with you

Re: He finally checked that Trophy box.....eventually! [Re: TxAg] #6624747 01/10/17 01:38 AM
M
mustafa Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
congrats. why have an approved 8 point?

Team Barbacoa Pro Staff.
Dallas Safari Club Life Member
Re: He finally checked that Trophy box.....eventually! [Re: TxAg] #6624750 01/10/17 01:39 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: TxAg

Buckeye, no worries. But just in case any others are concerned here's some info you don't have:

A) Our management plan calls for taking 8's at 4.5 and larger at 5.5. We don't attempt to take them to 6.5 like other parts of TX. We are LF in a high pressure part of the Hill Co.
B) We have pulled the jawbones on every single deer we've killed in the last 6 years, and age them with our biologist at the end of the season.
C) Since jaw wear can be highly variable, I also submit the lower center incisor of trophies for Cemmentum Annuli testing.
D) Finally, as TXsHntr pointed out, you need to recalibrate aging on the hoof with Hill Co deer, much lighter built. I look with different eyes in S TX. If you want some help I'm happy to send you pics across all age classes of known deer.

So, long story short I'm real confident on the age of this buck and he's exactly what we sought to take this year. Sure, on some ranches he'd have been a 4.5yo management buck but he's a Trophy to us! Carry on!

cheers

Sounds like you have the goods to back up your claims too. Excellent stuff!

On my lease (north texas) I passed on one that looked like that this year thinking he was 3.5 ( I was in search of an older 10) and would be good for someone else to take, same decision you made with this buck. I would not have had any qualms about one of my kids or visitors shooting that buck, and hoped they would see him but sadly it didn't pan out that way (one more chance this weekend and its supposed to be bucky weather with cold rain but light winds when we are out there). I am newer to deer hunting than most on here, and try to learn every day, but sometimes I forget deer in other places in texas are different than deer I see. Glad for the follow up and I did learn something from today and your post, so thanks up

Re: He finally checked that Trophy box.....eventually! [Re: txshntr] #6624755 01/10/17 01:46 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Congrats on a group effort and getting your friend a great buck!! Great write up and thank you for sharing up

That is what hunting is all about right there. None of this "my spot", "my deer" stuff.
cheers

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: He finally checked that Trophy box.....eventually! [Re: TxAg] #6624788 01/10/17 02:06 AM
R
rattler03 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
congrats to J on a great buck and thanks for the story

Re: He finally checked that Trophy box.....eventually! [Re: TxAg] #6624798 01/10/17 02:10 AM
B
b weezy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
up

Re: He finally checked that Trophy box.....eventually! [Re: Texas buckeye] #6624874 01/10/17 02:36 AM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C

Already been addressed, but this isn't a panhandle or S. Tx buck. He's about as heavy set as they get in the hill country. And given he's got decent but not great spread, good but not great time length and is an 8, that's a shooter almost anywhere. High pressure areas? Absolutely. HF/large acreage? Not good enough to get a pass.

Either way, great kill. I'd pull the trigger on that every day, unless I was saving it for a buddy like the OP.

Re: He finally checked that Trophy box.....eventually! [Re: TxAg] #6624878 01/10/17 02:37 AM
T
txstknight7 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
awesome job man, congrats to J on his buck

Re: He finally checked that Trophy box.....eventually! [Re: cameron00] #6624886 01/10/17 02:42 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: cameron00

Already been addressed, but this isn't a panhandle or S. Tx buck. He's about as heavy set as they get in the hill country. And given he's got decent but not great spread, good but not great time length and is an 8, that's a shooter almost anywhere. High pressure areas? Absolutely. HF/large acreage? Not good enough to get a pass.

Either way, great kill. I'd pull the trigger on that every day, unless I was saving it for a buddy like the OP.

And as already addressed only thing I questioned was the age, not the decision. Glad the buck was saved for the buddy. I agree it was a good buck, nothing wrong with it just questioned the age and asked for clarification. Got it from OP and txhntr, and you explained same thing. Good info to know for sure. I really was not trying to pick, just trying to learn....lifelong occurrence for some of us bang

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide