Forum Stats
60868 Members
45 Forums
413201 Topics
5755750 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6623696 - 01/09/17 09:32 AM Jay Gregory tells story of being intentionally shot by poacher
Duck_Hunter Online   content
Extreme Tracker

It's a long video (16 minutes) but it was well done and I found it fascinating. I've never watched this guy's show that I can remember and never heard this story. Long story short, he was scouting turkey on an acquaintance's land for the first time, and he encountered a poacher.

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2017/01/0...onally-poacher/

#6623746 - 01/09/17 10:03 AM Re: Jay Gregory tells story of being intentionally shot by poacher [Re: Duck_Hunter]
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Tracker

Thanks for sharing.

#6623817 - 01/09/17 10:45 AM Re: Jay Gregory tells story of being intentionally shot by poacher [Re: Duck_Hunter]
Bbear Offline
Tracker

Loc: West Texas
clap shocked

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Stupidity is the deliberate cultivation of ignorance

#6623821 - 01/09/17 10:48 AM Re: Jay Gregory tells story of being intentionally shot by poacher [Re: Duck_Hunter]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
Wow, great story thanks for sharing.

The DA/law enforcement in that jurisdiction let him down by not obtaining an attempted murder conviction.

#6623863 - 01/09/17 11:09 AM Re: Jay Gregory tells story of being intentionally shot by poacher [Re: Duck_Hunter]
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: The Woodlands, Tx
I'm glad I took the time to watch this -- it held my interest 100%.

I recognize this guy from the hunting channel but never knew anything about his background.

#6623877 - 01/09/17 11:16 AM Re: Jay Gregory tells story of being intentionally shot by poacher [Re: Duck_Hunter]
Double Naught Spy Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
You can cut out the first 4 minutes, 4.5, and skip to the event.

Interesting that two of the newspapers shown in the video indicate that Gregory had crossed onto Walker's land and was confronted and shot by Walker. Not justification for the shooting, but just pointing out that Gregory, apparently was not where he was supposed to be. Not so much shot by a poacher, but by a landowner of a property where Gregory should not have been.

#6623881 - 01/09/17 11:18 AM Re: Jay Gregory tells story of being intentionally shot by poacher [Re: Double Naught Spy]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Interesting that two of the newspapers shown in the video indicate that Gregory had crossed onto Walker's land and was confronted and shot by Walker. Not justification for the shooting, but just pointing out that Gregory, apparently was not where he was supposed to be. Not so much shot by a poacher, but by a landowner of a property where Gregory should not have been.

Didn't look that close. That may explain the lesser charge.

#6623979 - 01/09/17 12:14 PM Re: Jay Gregory tells story of being intentionally shot by poacher [Re: Duck_Hunter]
Extreme Tracker

I am guessing is that you have a he said/he said conflict of stories. You have Gregory's claims and you have Walker's claims. Gregory could only prove he had been shot, not that he had been threatened or that it was intentional. Plus, he was apparently on Walker's land.

With that said, it sounds like the charge is appropriate based on Gregory's own description.

From http://www.missouri-criminal-defense.com/assault/
Quote:
Second Degree: A person commits the crime of assault in the second degree if he:

Attempts to kill or knowingly causes or attempts to cause serious physical injury to another person under the influence of sudden passion arising out of adequate cause; or
Attempts to cause or knowingly causes physical injury to another person by means of a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument; or
Recklessly causes serious physical injury to another person; or
While in an intoxicated condition or under the influence of controlled substances or drugs, operates a motor vehicle in this state and, when so operating, acts with criminal negligence to cause physical injury to any other person than himself; or
Recklessly causes physical injury to another person by means of discharge of a firearm.

The 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th conditions could all potentially apply. The charge sounds appropriate. Based on the lowest news article in the video, it was the last (recklessly caused physical injury of another by discharge of a firearm) that was the charge. That is probably all that they could prove happened and not the particular circumstances of the event, which sounds like it would still be assault in the 2nd.

#6624060 - 01/09/17 12:58 PM Re: Jay Gregory tells story of being intentionally shot by poacher [Re: Duck_Hunter]
Texas buckeye Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Keller
Very interesting story and agree with DNS that is sounds like it might have been prevented had this guy known his property boundaries. I am always aware of my property boundaries and make sure I don't cross them or shot over them...nothing good comes from either of those scenarios.

Still, good story.

#6624300 - 01/09/17 03:27 PM Re: Jay Gregory tells story of being intentionally shot by poacher [Re: Double Naught Spy]
Duck_Hunter Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

I didn't notice the newspapers. Good catch. I can't find any reports from the time it happened. If he was on the wrong property himself, that changes things. It even makes me question the rest of how things actually occurred.

I don't agree with the shooting, either, but I feel misled by the poacher aspect of it. My bad.

#6624372 - 01/09/17 04:05 PM Re: Jay Gregory tells story of being intentionally shot by poacher [Re: Duck_Hunter]
KCH Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Frisco, TX
Just remember all story's like this have three sides...his, the assailant and the truth...but no doubt its a bad deal!

#6624375 - 01/09/17 04:08 PM Re: Jay Gregory tells story of being intentionally shot by poacher [Re: Duck_Hunter]
doogie Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Hill County
Does anyone have a link to the newspaper article about this case?
The pic below was copied from the video

Edited by doogie (01/09/17 04:31 PM)

#6625177 - 01/09/17 10:25 PM Re: Jay Gregory tells story of being intentionally shot by poacher [Re: Duck_Hunter]
HandgunHTR Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Cypress, TX
Notice it says "probably crossed over onto another owner's land".

Keep in mind that it was spring, prior to turkey season and this guy was hunting over bait with a rifle. Regardless if it was his own land or not, he was poaching, so the moniker fits.

Great video either way.

Edited by HandgunHTR (01/09/17 10:26 PM)

#6625213 - 01/09/17 10:42 PM Re: Jay Gregory tells story of being intentionally shot by poacher [Re: Duck_Hunter]
Extreme Tracker

Quote:
I don't agree with the shooting, either, but I feel misled by the poacher aspect of it. My bad.

Well, you didn't write the headlines, right, so no worries. Walker may have been poaching, just poaching on his own land, assuming Gregory's information is accurate and that bait wasn't allowed to be used for hunting back in 1991 in MO.

Gregory tells a good story, but it seemed just too pat. I was trying to Google the story from 1991 and not coming up with anything when the news print showed on the screen and I stopped the player to find more information to Google, but found some interesting information as well, some of which was just sort of left out of the monologue.

#6625485 - 01/10/17 07:59 AM Re: Jay Gregory tells story of being intentionally shot by poacher [Re: Duck_Hunter]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

Looks like Gregory may have shaded it a little bit. But, I'll give a guy who was shot and dang near killed with a high powered rifle (for at most accidentally crossing a property line unarmed) a break. The shooter's son's apology speaks volumes. He was an idiot who lost his head and finally realized it after he almost killed a man.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide