Page 1 of 2 1 2
Re-thinking duck gear due to recent tragedies #6623667 01/09/17 03:12 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
M
While reading about these recent deaths during duck hunts it has made me re-think duck clothing in general. When contemplating traditional gear you realize that most of the clothes typically worn are very poor insulators when wet. Also the clothing works against you if you actually had to swim while wearing it. I think a lot of this has to do with the fit of the gear which usually is very bulky loose fitting. While I was in college I was on the water ski team and I frequently skied in water temps down in the 40s with air temps in the 30s with few problems of being overly cold even after a 30 min session.

Maybe we have made a mistake by trying to use 'regular' hunting fabrics in the wrong environment. I am thinking that maybe there should be a major shift in duck hunting gear to more closely resemble surfing gear. 1mm neoprene can be made to fit very comfortably and could easily be backed with fleeces to provide for better comfort. A very light spring wet suit could be easily worn as a base layer to ensure maximum insulation if submerged. Also these fabrics are incredibly warm when completely wet due to persperation. Also these fabrics are naturally buoyant even without a life jacket used.

I think the current clothing would have to modified for our particular sport but it seems more logical to use this type of 'system' versus what we have been typically using.

Here are some options that I think could converted/modified be made for duck hunting.

Wet suit vest

Long sleeve

Hydroskin Pants

Re: Re-thinking duck gear due to recent tragedies [Re: mattyg06] #6623682 01/09/17 03:22 PM
P
Pintail711 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
The majority of drowning victims were not wearing a life jacket. It doesn't matter what you wear, if you aren't wearing a life jacket, you aren't giving yourself a fighting chance. The other problem is the boats that people are hunting in. I understand that some people cant afford a 20ft gator trax. Others do not simply know how to properly handle a boat in rough water. Everyone controls their own actions, no matter what is out there for purchase.

Re: Re-thinking duck gear due to recent tragedies [Re: Pintail711] #6623707 01/09/17 03:37 PM
K
Kilo11 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
Originally Posted By: Pintail711
The majority of drowning victims were not wearing a life jacket. It doesn't matter what you wear, if you aren't wearing a life jacket, you aren't giving yourself a fighting chance. The other problem is the boats that people are hunting in. I understand that some people cant afford a 20ft gator trax. Others do not simply know how to properly handle a boat in rough water. Everyone controls their own actions, no matter what is out there for purchase.

While everything you said is true, I don't see why taking gear that is designed to be worn by humans in cold water and adapting it for duck hunters would be a bad idea. If it was some expensive specialty item that added inconvenience or was cost-prohibitive, then it wouldn't be worth it. But if it's nothing more than wearing Pants/Jacket A instead of Pants/Jacket B because Pants/Jacket A work in cold water and Pants/Jacket B don't, then what's the issue?

At some point back in time, someone probably said, "Wearing a huge floating thing around your body is stupid and inconvenient. Just learn how to handle a boat and you'll be fine. And you know how to swim, right?"

Re: Re-thinking duck gear due to recent tragedies [Re: mattyg06] #6623723 01/09/17 03:52 PM
N
nate33 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Accidents are gonna happen--------its not possible to be 100% safe. When boats are involved the accident rate goes way up, add freezing cold and high winds and it goes way way up. The bad news for "us" is that these kids were taken out of the gene pool and the snow flakes that are in college safe rooms are still in the gene pool. So its a loss for us all.

Re: Re-thinking duck gear due to recent tragedies [Re: mattyg06] #6623724 01/09/17 03:53 PM
S
SeaAggie2015 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
For years and years duck hunters have worn basically the same materials. Designing a new material or new "system" of clothing will not make a difference in the hunting market. Giant waterfowl companies like drake and banded (to name a couple) make quality products that are "ground breaking" in warmth and performance. Now, that being said, I do think buying waders and clothes that fit properly and aren't to bulky is a great way to save yourself some future stress should a situation arise. If you'll pay attention to the people that are involved in these accidents then that will tell you all you need to know. A father and son on tawakoni were out on a day that to windy for the BEST of boats. The boys in the bay were young and had no life jackets. Having the ability to stay home on bad weather days (or walk in), slow down in stump fields (even though your "boat can take it"), and have common since to wear life jackets and make the safe decision is really what saves lives. Not the clothes that they were wearing. Risk management starts WAY before you get to the lake. Not once a problem occurs

Noah Blackmon
Re: Re-thinking duck gear due to recent tragedies [Re: mattyg06] #6623833 01/09/17 04:55 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
M
Isn't that the point of clothing though... that when accidents do happen you have the best chance of surviving it. Even the best clothing by Drake/Banded are very poorly designed for an aquatic environment. If you don't believe me just find someone with a wet suit and challenge them to a swimming race in 40 degree water while you wear the top of the line Drake/Banded gear. Most likely you get hypothermia and can't no longer use your best survival mechanism.. your brain... because it shuts down in these temperatures while they are leisurely swimming to shore.

Imagine you get thrown in the water with dry suit used by surfers for winter conditions. You're brain will not shut down in the short length of time it would in cotton/wool/synthetics compared to a dry suit. You wouldn't be struggling against your gear but you would float comfortably in relative warm.

Here is another example...Does anyone here put layers of wool on their dog and expect them to swim well and stay warm in harsh conditions or did you purchase a neoprene 'wetsuit' specifically made for dogs?

Re: Re-thinking duck gear due to recent tragedies [Re: mattyg06] #6623855 01/09/17 05:03 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I'm with you. UA or Drake should make neoprene waterfowl hunting gear. I think it would make a lot of sense especially for those who regularly hunt in colder temps. For me, I might need it once or twice a year.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Re-thinking duck gear due to recent tragedies [Re: mattyg06] #6624021 01/09/17 06:39 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I think its fine to prepare for the worst as far as clothing but keep in mind almost all (and probably all) these tragedies are happening while braking all laws of safety while in a boat. I'll take 100% cotton clothes while NOT breaking boat safety laws before I put on the best clothing and go be stupid in the boat. But sense I have a choice I'll obey all safety rules on boating and clothing. The dad/son on Tawk can't even be considered in these conversations....that dad was 100% CRAZY/STUPID for even being on the lake in that boat. I would like to know how the 3 young adults on the coast got into the water (waves, hit something, driver error etc). The country singer that died last year....they were in yet another VERY small craft were they not?

Re: Re-thinking duck gear due to recent tragedies [Re: mattyg06] #6624078 01/09/17 07:10 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
M
Surfers routinely go out into 10-15' waves in 40 degree temperatures with 'craft' that are much smaller than the boats listed and survive regularly. That also includes being thrown from their 'boats' and sometimes being held down in freezing water. I can't help but think if surfers had to wear 100% cotton/wool duck clothing that there would be many more deaths. Granted on average surfers are much more athletic than the typical duck hunter, but that still doesn't change the fact that basic duck hunting clothing has no protective value when totally wet.

Think about white water rafting and that clothing... it is much more similar to surfing gear than duck gear.

I see that I won't make any treadway with this group, but just something for y'all to think about next time your arms get wet while putting out decoys.

Re: Re-thinking duck gear due to recent tragedies [Re: mattyg06] #6624083 01/09/17 07:15 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: mattyg06
Surfers routinely go out into 10-15' waves in 40 degree temperatures with 'craft' that are much smaller than the boats listed and survive regularly. That also includes being thrown from their 'boats' and sometimes being held down in freezing water. I can't help but think if surfers had to wear 100% cotton/wool duck clothing that there would be many more deaths. Granted on average surfers are much more athletic than the typical duck hunter, but that still doesn't change the fact that basic duck hunting clothing has no protective value when totally wet.

Think about white water rafting and that clothing... it is much more similar to surfing gear than duck gear.

I see that I won't make any treadway with this group, but just something for y'all to think about next time your arms get wet while putting out decoys.

I am in agreement with you. A much more practical opportunity is out there. I think you should take your idea and run with it. Hit up some of these manufacturers or put a plan together for yourself.

I assume many people have never been in a wet suite, or involved in any of your examples, but I imagine they would end up being customers.

Re: Re-thinking duck gear due to recent tragedies [Re: Leonardo] #6624095 01/09/17 07:22 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: Leonardo
I am in agreement with you. A much more practical opportunity is out there. I think you should take your idea and run with it. Hit up some of these manufacturers or put a plan together for yourself.

I assume many people have never been in a wet suite, or involved in any of your examples, but I imagine they would end up being customers.

Yep see if you can't get the wheel in motion if you will.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Re-thinking duck gear due to recent tragedies [Re: mattyg06] #6624098 01/09/17 07:24 PM
M
Misfire Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
There are several issues with using neoprene for hunting.

Neoprene is not very durable, especially when setting and retrieving decoys in brush, rocks or any other abrasive landscape. In the thicknesses that would be required in order to be a "life saver" from hypothermia it is hard to put on/take off, restricts movement, is impractical to layer, bulky, heavy, etc.. One of the big drawbacks is that it builds up heat rapidly and doesn't breathe or wick away sweat/heat. So on days you're not floating in the water waiting on rescue, every moment in the suit is misery. The scuba industry probably has the most innovation when it comes to cold water immersion suits. Some have internal liners, o-ring seals at neck, ankles, hands, etc.. but again, they are not something you are going to wear on a hunt. If you are just talking about keeping hands, feet and arms dry then there are already products for that. If you are talking about full immersion in cold water survival suit, it's going to be hard to mix the qualities needed to save you from hypothermia with the qualities needed to perform regular hunting tasks.

"I wanna go fast" -Ricky Bobby

"Mind bottling isn't it?" -Chazz Michael Michaels

Re: Re-thinking duck gear due to recent tragedies [Re: mattyg06] #6624112 01/09/17 07:33 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe

Re: Re-thinking duck gear due to recent tragedies [Re: mattyg06] #6624176 01/09/17 08:21 PM
P
Pintail711 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
Don't wear waders in the boat, put on a life jacket and that will give you a chance if you fall out of the boat.

Re: Re-thinking duck gear due to recent tragedies [Re: mattyg06] #6624197 01/09/17 08:36 PM
S
SeaAggie2015 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Imagine you get thrown in the water with dry suit used by surfers for winter conditions. You're brain will not shut down in the short length of time it would in cotton/wool/synthetics compared to a dry suit. You wouldn't be struggling against your gear but you would float comfortably in relative warm.

I'm not saying that having specialized thermal protection is a bad idea. I'm talking about the practicality. Having been a dive master and having been in wet suits, dry suits, and semi dries, I can fully express my appreciation for that clothing technology. However, what is the first thing I would do (and tell students to do) upon getting out of the water? Take the suit off or pull it half down and put on regular warm and dry clothing. I've seen MULTIPLE people get faint or pass out from the constricting nature of neoprene when the sun is beating down (even though it's cold out). As a surfer that has neoprene, I ask you this: How long do you sit on the surface before getting into the water? My guess would be a relatively short time. Could you put on a wet suit, set decoys, build a blind, go hide a boat, walk back to the blind, sit for however long the hunt takes, go pick up the boat and decoys then ride back to the ramp? I would be miserable before I even made it to the spot. Neoprene is NOT designed for dry use. My argument is not against the life saving capabilities of neoprene in the water, but rather the life saving capabilities of good planning, risk management and common sense.

Noah Blackmon
Re: Re-thinking duck gear due to recent tragedies [Re: mattyg06] #6624267 01/09/17 09:11 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Matty, I agree that there is a market for this, especially for the guys that use boats. I'm not sure if neoprene is the answer, but surfers, kayaker and divers are a good place to start.

There is room for improvement in the clothes we wear when hunting. A PFD might keep you from drowning, but the next issue - hypothermia - will get you. If you're far away from your truck, this would be a problem. I'd be for another layer of protection while hunting in very cold temperatures, even if it's only for a few trips a year.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Re-thinking duck gear due to recent tragedies [Re: Pintail711] #6624343 01/09/17 09:47 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Pintail711
Don't wear waders in the boat, put on a life jacket and that will give you a chance if you fall out of the boat.

100% disagree. Todays neoprene waders act like a big life jacket. Neoprene waders AND a life vest are what I would want on me if I ever went in the water. I would then back stroke to the boat or shore....knowing I'm not going down. I do wonder about the guys wearing breathable waders in the boat though.

Re: Re-thinking duck gear due to recent tragedies [Re: mattyg06] #6624356 01/09/17 09:53 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B

Surfers are generally near there access points also. Nice change of warm clothes nearby. Duck hunters can be far from their put in spots. Its nice to be able to say. "man I'm cold, lets go back to the house/car and warm up". When your 5-10 miles down a body of water your on your own.

Re: Re-thinking duck gear due to recent tragedies [Re: mattyg06] #6624421 01/09/17 10:36 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I think the answer lies with what Pintail said, most simply drown. You can survive wet and cold alot longer than you can underwater. I don't have the facts on why these guys didn't make it, but I suspect it's not from exposure.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Re-thinking duck gear due to recent tragedies [Re: mattyg06] #6624424 01/09/17 10:37 PM
R
Ridn9high Online Happy
Pro Tracker
Online Happy
Pro Tracker
R
We used to wear wet suits and dry suits when wake boarding in the winter months on the delta in California. A wound always get cold while wearing a wet suit. You'd ride for a few minutes then get back in boat and wrap up in a blanket. With a dry suit, we were able to wear clothing underneath while riding. The suit is made to keep your close dry while in the water.

With that said, I would never wear either one while hunting. IMO, be smart while in a boat. If your boat is too small to handle the big waters of our lakes, leave it at the house or stay in the back waters. If there is a bad storm blowing in, stay home, or walk in to a spot and not risk flipping or submerging your boat. These storms aren't a secret, we know when they're going to hit.

If you're going to be in a boat, wear a PFD, especially in the dark. IMO, stay away from the inflatables, because there's no guarantee they will deploy. I like a regular PFD because of the extra padding and know it will help protect my mid section if I am throw from the boat or hit a widow maker(stump, floating log). If I'm running my bass boat or duck boat, I have my PFD on whenever the big motor.

Re: Re-thinking duck gear due to recent tragedies [Re: mattyg06] #6624491 01/09/17 11:27 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
While reading about these recent deaths during duck hunts it has made me re-think duck clothing in general. When contemplating traditional gear you realize that most of the clothes typically worn are very poor insulators when wet. Also the clothing works against you if you actually had to swim while wearing it. I think a lot of this has to do with the fit of the gear which usually is very bulky loose fitting. While I was in college I was on the water ski team and I frequently skied in water temps down in the 40s with air temps in the 30s with few problems of being overly cold even after a 30 min session.

Maybe we have made a mistake by trying to use 'regular' hunting fabrics in the wrong environment. I am thinking that maybe there should be a major shift in duck hunting gear to more closely resemble surfing gear. 1mm neoprene can be made to fit very comfortably and could easily be backed with fleeces to provide for better comfort. A very light spring wet suit could be easily worn as a base layer to ensure maximum insulation if submerged. Also these fabrics are incredibly warm when completely wet due to persperation. Also these fabrics are naturally buoyant even without a life jacket used.

I think the current clothing would have to modified for our particular sport but it seems more logical to use this type of 'system' versus what we have been typically using.

Here are some options that I think could converted/modified be made for duck hunting.

Wet suit vest

Long sleeve

Hydroskin Pants

Full body wetsuit, warm and safe for boat ride, but a pain to put on and take off, and you will not hunt with it on.

Re: Re-thinking duck gear due to recent tragedies [Re: mattyg06] #6624557 01/10/17 12:08 AM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Accidents are going to happen- but 90% plus can be avoided. Don't be ignorant. Wear a life jacket. Pretty simple. If I didn't own property, I would have 2-3 good leases and use some reputable guides. Some people just get a rise out of public hunting. No never hear of a duck hunter drowning on their private lake or ponds.

When I was in my 20's and 30's or younger- had no problem with it. I wear a life jacket when I put out dekes- mainly in 3-24 inch water- never know- use common sense. You don't go out in front of a huge front with your 5 year old without a life jacket. That's plain ignorance and idiocracy. Period.

Last edited by Greekangler; 01/10/17 12:13 AM.

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: Re-thinking duck gear due to recent tragedies [Re: Greekangler] #6624634 01/10/17 12:37 AM
B
Ben Lilly Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Greekangler
No never hear of a duck hunter drowning on their private lake or ponds.

Day before yesterday 1:40hr from Fort Worth. Sad deal but accidents happen everywhere.
Link to story

Re: Re-thinking duck gear due to recent tragedies [Re: mattyg06] #6624636 01/10/17 12:39 AM
W
Windrider Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
As someone who used to windsurf in sub freezing temps, I gotta tell you that wetsuits and neoprene isn't the answer.

The best idea is probably to get out and run your boat ion warm windy days and learn your limits. Running your craft in adverse conditions is a learned skill and it's easier during day than night.

If you haven't every run a boat in a 20-30mph winds, in the daylight, when it's warm for practice...what would make you think you could do it in the dark when a mistake will kill you?

Thought for the day: Ducks were almost hunted to extinction long before camo was invented.
Re: Re-thinking duck gear due to recent tragedies [Re: mattyg06] #6624731 01/10/17 01:28 AM
J
Jacob645 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I know it's not possible on all waters, but when boating to my spot, I stay as close as possible to the shoreline just in case, but I have a 14ft boat with a 15hp. If the wind is over 10mph, it stays at home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide