Forum Stats
61979 Members
46 Forums
429925 Topics
5927372 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#6620977 - 01/07/17 09:58 AM "Truck Gun" thoughts .....
Creedmoor Offline
Pro Tracker

I have decided to store a gun in the vehicle. (I always carry a handgun) I have a 18" pump 12 gauge shotgun that I can use, or a 16" AR-15 with a red dot sight. This will be solely for "SHTF", self defense, or dispatching a wounded animal or one hit by a vehicle. I can't see any time I would use the gun for hunting or taking a live animal.

I can see good and bad for either gun, but was looking for other insight. Which would you choose?

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.

#6620997 - 01/07/17 10:06 AM Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... [Re: Creedmoor]
wtjim Offline
Tracker

AR for SD. Can use it at any range but most importantly find a quick access but secure mount so it doesn't get stolen...

#6621002 - 01/07/17 10:09 AM Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... [Re: Creedmoor]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
16" AR is the all the time truck gun for me. Same exact reasons you listed. That's the reasoning for the new load development. I keep a slim little 10 rounder in it, and have four 30 round mags full. Mine wears an SS 1-6X, and it's the perfect optic for the carbine.

800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#6621014 - 01/07/17 10:18 AM Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... [Re: Creedmoor]
Nate C. Offline
Tracker

Loc: Black Cat Ridge, Texas
If by "store a gun in the vehicle" you mean you intend to leave it in the vehicle at all times, then select the one you will be least upset about when it is stolen out of the vehicle. Whatever long gun you go with, please be responsible enough to secure it in some manner: locking gun rack; cable lock, pad lock or similar.

Rather than an AR or a shotgun, I recommend you consider a trapper-length (16" bbl) lever-action in .357 or .44 magnum.

#6621017 - 01/07/17 10:23 AM Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... [Re: Creedmoor]
SnakeWrangler Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Fairfield, TX
I plan to mount an over the head two gun rack in my pickup to carry my 12 gage 870 and a AR carbine....

"Death is permanent...everything else is temporary!"

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"

#6621031 - 01/07/17 10:42 AM Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... [Re: Nate C.]
Creedmoor Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: Nate C.
If by "store a gun in the vehicle" you mean you intend to leave it in the vehicle at all times, then select the one you will be least upset about when it is stolen out of the vehicle. Whatever long gun you go with, please be responsible enough to secure it in some manner: locking gun rack; cable lock, pad lock or similar.

Rather than an AR or a shotgun, I recommend you consider a trapper-length (16" bbl) lever-action in .357 or .44 magnum.

I appreciate the input, and I have taken into consideration the fact that I may indeed lose it at some point to a car thief, etc.

But why the lever gun over the AR-15? They hold fewer rounds, are less accurate, are longer than an AR-15 with a collapsible stock, and follow up shots take longer.

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.

#6621042 - 01/07/17 10:48 AM Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... [Re: Nate C.]
fmrmbmlm Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Thrall Texas

I have a Winchester 94 Trapper in 45 Colt, what a fun gun.

#6621045 - 01/07/17 10:51 AM Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... [Re: Creedmoor]
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity

I keep a 15 shot model 60 under the back seat of my truck to accompany my 9mm

Wearing a 4x scope, not many things I can think of that it won't get me out of that I'm going to encounter on my daily route

#6621048 - 01/07/17 10:53 AM Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... [Re: fmrmbmlm]
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: North Texas.
Originally Posted By: fmrmbmlm

I have a Winchester 94 Trapper in 45 Colt, what a fun gun.

Great rifle right there. up

#6621106 - 01/07/17 11:46 AM Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... [Re: Creedmoor]
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Forney, Tx
I think it's irresponsible to leave a gun in a vehicle that isn't secured out of sight. One of the things I hate most is recovering a stolen gun that was taken in a BMV. I keep a pistol on ME at all times. Other than while on duty, I can't see a reason to have a rifle riding shotgun in my vehicle.

The vast majority of violent encounters, including mass/active shootings are within 3 yards and most of those are within 3 feet. The argument of " I only use my pistol to get me to my rifle" is ridiculous in the civilian world

Just my 2cents and I haven't had my coffee yet

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Enjoy it while you can. One day you might be complaining about NOT getting random pop-ups in the morning. grin

#6621109 - 01/07/17 11:47 AM Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... [Re: Creedmoor]
Tactical Cowboy Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: San Angelo
AR

Powder coated cast bullets available. https://www.facebook.com/lazyhbullets/

#6621117 - 01/07/17 11:52 AM Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... [Re: BigPig]
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: BigPig
I think it's irresponsible to leave a gun in a vehicle that isn't secured out of sight. One of the things I hate most is recovering a stolen gun that was taken in a BMV. I keep a pistol on ME at all times. Other than while on duty, I can't see a reason to have a rifle riding shotgun in my vehicle.

The vast majority of violent encounters, including mass/active shootings are within 3 yards and most of those are within 3 feet. The argument of " I only use my pistol to get me to my rifle" is ridiculous in the civilian world

I drive around on ranches and in rural areas all day long. I need to have a rifle with me

I do keep it out of sight most of the time

Edited by txtrophy85 (01/07/17 11:53 AM)

#6621118 - 01/07/17 11:52 AM Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... [Re: Creedmoor]
MClark Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Arizona
If you leave a red dot in the truck summer heat is hard on the batteries. May not work when needed.

M

#6621128 - 01/07/17 11:58 AM Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... [Re: BigPig]
Creedmoor Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: BigPig

Well ........ go get your coffee !!!! cheers

Seriously, I do appreciate the input. I have an SUV and it will be well hidden and secured under the rear seat. And I'm not all gung-ho nor a survivalist. But with the state of the country right now I just feel the need to have some type of long gun handy. I live in Chattanooga and was about 50 yards from the shooter when he attacked the Recruiting Stations here. Might be foolish ... or even stupid to some. But that's my decision. wink

#6621136 - 01/07/17 12:06 PM Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... [Re: Creedmoor]
RiverRider Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Wise Co.
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I carry an AR in the vehicle at certain times, but i don't leave it there---even just overnight.

Originally Posted By: Ronald Reagan
It's not that liberals are not smart, it's just that so much of what they know isn't so.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide