Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Does pigs smell my parked car #6618870 01/06/17 04:50 AM
Stripermania Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
I hunt on a very small property but has good number of pigs to my feeder but I noticed that when I am there sometimes they don't show and when I am not there, most of the time they will show. My blind is sealed very well and 12' off the ground so I don't think they can smell me very well but my car is parked only 10 yards south of my blind and my blind is 120 yards south of feeder and the pigs comes in from north side od feeder. Do you guys think that they smell my car which is the reason they don't show since most of the time, the wind is from the south.

Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Stripermania] #6618883 01/06/17 05:09 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
The majority of the time the wind will be from the SE or SW so your scent and your car scent will be blowing directly towards the feeder the majority of the time. So yeah I'm sure that why they don't show up when you are there. Is there anywhere else you can park further away from the blind?

Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Stripermania] #6618909 01/06/17 05:50 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Even in a box blind, scent is getting out. If it was sealed, you would eventually run out of oxygen. But yes, your car 10 yards from the blind could be a problem. One is they will hear you come in and two is another thing to smell.

I would find somewhere else to park. If the property isn't big enough, park down the road. Also, I would hunt it with a north wind to see if anything changes.

Good luck

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Stripermania] #6618919 01/06/17 06:19 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
IMHO, I think the scent thing gets way overblown...

There are plenty of videos of guys walking up on hogs at 30-40 yards and I doubt they're all downwind. I just walked up on some at 60yds. I was sitting in a low slung chair next to my Honda Pioneer one evening this past summer (too hot to sit in the blind) and a sounder waddled on up to the other side of the Pioneer, not 10ft from me. I thought they were cows until I heard an oink.

You can always move your blind closer to the feeder and that way you're farther away from the car. smile

I just think maybe, but doubtful. Don't the big bucks show up when you're not in the stand?

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Stripermania] #6618963 01/06/17 12:06 PM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
They smell EVERYTHING so I doubt they can discern your car from anybody else's .

If they've not been hunted they won't associate you to their demise and so my assumption is they just aren't showing when you're there.

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Stripermania] #6619129 01/06/17 02:14 PM
B
Buzzard Breath Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
wash your car with scent free soap

Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: CharlieCTx] #6619196 01/06/17 03:04 PM
S
shadams Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
IMHO, I think the scent thing gets way overblown... Charlie

I was just gonna say that. Just more anecdotal evidence that hunters develop. Nothing wrong with it, just doesnt mean its set in stone.

"If the Truth becomes Outlawed, then Outlaws we must become..."
Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: shadams] #6619199 01/06/17 03:08 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: shadams
Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
IMHO, I think the scent thing gets way overblown... Charlie

I was just gonna say that. Just more anecdotal evidence that hunters develop. Nothing wrong with it, just doesnt mean its set in stone.

I don't hunt hogs as much as many of ya'll, so my experience is limited. The hogs that I have hunted would blow out of an area very quickly when downwind. Maybe they have just been pressured more than most.

Deer, I would disagree with both of you. Not to say that I have not had deer pass downwind and not run off, but I have way too much experience hunting and watching deer movement and activity to ever say that scent is overrated. IMO, with deer, it is the number one priority that should be looked at when setting up a stand or hunting period.

With that said, I am not a believer in any scent control clothing or products. cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Buzzard Breath] #6619284 01/06/17 03:50 PM
R
Reds015 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
Originally Posted By: Buzzard Breath

wow! roflmao

thanks man, that was funny

Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Stripermania] #6619315 01/06/17 04:07 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Well, the test would be to park some place well and see what happens and to NOT rely on just one or two instances as proof.

Since you have game camera imagery, I assume you are patterning the hogs. Are you showing up just before you expect them, or hours in advance? Often times, I have found, hogs are present in the immediate area but just not showing up on camera until well after the feeder goes off. My point is that it may not be the smell of your car so much as the commotion of your arrival and getting up and into the stand that is tipping off the hogs that you are a threat.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Stripermania] #6619370 01/06/17 04:42 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Number 1 defense for hogs is scent. Number 2 is hearing. Number 3 is eyesight. You decide what the problem is!!

Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Stripermania] #6619377 01/06/17 04:47 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I firmly believe that scent is the most significant aspect of hog hunting.

Yes hogs can see you if you're moving around, and they can certainly hear, but typically they've got their noses to the ground and you can usually avoid making a lot of noise. But every time I've tried to pass upwind of a sounder of hogs I've been busted. Once I spotted a sow with piglets moving across a pasture, and positioned myself in the trees ahead of their path. Winds were variable, and before long I saw the sow lift her snout high into the air, and then stare directly in my direction. Suddenly she growled and started trotting away from me with piglets in tow.

If wind direction and scent isn't the most important thing to consider when hunting hogs, I don't know what is.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: der Teufel] #6619467 01/06/17 05:32 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: der Teufel
If wind direction and scent isn't the most important thing to consider when hunting hogs, I don't know what is.

Everything matters, but I agree, scent is number one. Hogs are not always leery of the smells a vehicle gives off. However, if they frequent an area and the vehicle is not normally there, you bet, the difference in odor can cause them to be much more defensive in their actions. Works the same with a new bait odor at a feeder site sometimes too. They rely a lot on their sense of smell for protection, but their other senses play a key role too.

They see better than many folks give them credit for as they run through thick woods at night without running into trees or poking their eyes out on branches. I was hunting with another guy and we were stalking a sounder. IMO, we were stalking too fast and I tried to slow him down to no avail. He was in front. I noticed a sentinel hog watching him, my minds eye remembers it to be about 75 yards off, maybe a little further. There was no doubt the hog was seeing him move...and may have been hearing him walking on the rocky road. He wasn't sniffing with his nose as best I could tell, just watching. Soon, he gave a little squeak and off the sounder went. To this day, I am convinced we could have gotten into position had the other guy been more aware and slowed his stalk down. I believe the hog picked up his movement more than anything that night.

Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Stripermania] #6619552 01/06/17 06:20 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
How much corn are you putting out? They may be cleaning it up rapidly and the other hogs have learned it is a"marginal" feeder at best. Make sure there is enough corn to hold them for a while. My experience with hogs is they are aware of the scent at times more so than others. I have walked up to within 15 yards of them without there moving and other times I have seen them run for what seemed no reason...maybe the scent. I would definitely park further away from the feeder. Consider moving the stand to where you are facing the East.

Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Stripermania] #6619640 01/06/17 07:09 PM
D
Dalee7892 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
More corn, corn tube to keep them. Park somewhere else, walk slow to blind(3-5 steps stop then 3-5 steps and so on)
I always try to go to fast to blind, have to slow down.

Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Stripermania] #6619744 01/06/17 08:11 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I don't see how you can rank one sense above the rest.

I have crawled into a hog trap on my hands and knees after working all day drenched in sweat smelling like azz spend 10 minutes their fixing a trip plate and caught multiple hogs in it a few hours later that night.

I attribute more cautious animals to more pressure. Is the car visible from the feeder? I would try parking somewhere else. On the other hand we have our feeders set up to be good for either of our predominant winds and we walk in through areas that the game typically do not come from and still experience the same phenomenon you do. I think the answer lies in that the camera is omnipresent and has patients without bound.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Stripermania] #6619832 01/06/17 09:10 PM
Stripermania Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Thanks to those reply. Very interesting read for me. Here are answers to some questions

1. I am very quiet in my blind. I can barely hear myself breathing. I show up, 2 minutes later, I am inside a T-Box Blind
2. My buddy is about a mile down the road and I usually ask him to put 20 lbs of corn the morning and when I show up in the evening I can see the corn on the ground. Feeder throws 10 sec at 5am and 4pm.
3. Most of the time I sleep in my blind overnight. I have 2 IR/PIR sensors on the feeder so if pigs show up, it will send me an alarm to wake up and shoot them using 300 blkout with digital night vision Pulsar N750. Last 3 nights spent there, pigs don't show but trail cam showed that they showed up all other nights.
4. Car is not visible from blind even though it is close by or feeder which is 150 yards out. lots of trees too.

I will try to park 1 mile down the road and use a bicycle to get to my blind next time I hunt and post results. Oh, yeah I will wash my bike with Dead Down Wind before I use it smile

Last edited by Stripermania; 01/06/17 09:19 PM.
Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Stripermania] #6619888 01/06/17 09:54 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
If they are showing up every night your not there why have your buddy go dump corn?IMO that's prob the issue he goes up there spreads corn and his scent while making tons of noise. If they show up without him dumping corn then just drive to land get in Blind and hunt without your buddy going over that morning.

Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: dfwroadkill] #6619991 01/06/17 10:52 PM
T
tcr2 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
Originally Posted By: der Teufel

Everything matters, but I agree, scent is number one. Hogs are not always leery of the smells a vehicle gives off. However, if they frequent an area and the vehicle is not normally there, you bet, the difference in odor can cause them to be much more defensive in their actions. Works the same with a new bait odor at a feeder site sometimes too. They rely a lot on their sense of smell for protection, but their other senses play a key role too.

They see better than many folks give them credit for as they run through thick woods at night without running into trees or poking their eyes out on branches. I was hunting with another guy and we were stalking a sounder. IMO, we were stalking too fast and I tried to slow him down to no avail. He was in front. I noticed a sentinel hog watching him, my minds eye remembers it to be about 75 yards off, maybe a little further. There was no doubt the hog was seeing him move...and may have been hearing him walking on the rocky road. He wasn't sniffing with his nose as best I could tell, just watching. Soon, he gave a little squeak and off the sounder went. To this day, I am convinced we could have gotten into position had the other guy been more aware and slowed his stalk down. I believe the hog picked up his movement more than anything that night.

100 percent agree. Unless totally dark, when I make my approach at a hog or a group I slow my pace down to that of a cow slowly plodding along. If hunting with anyone else we go in single file nice and easy.

Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Buzzard Breath] #6620176 01/07/17 12:15 AM
C
Chief Joe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: Buzzard Breath
roflmao

"It is the same boiling water that softens the rice, which hardens the egg." It's not always about the circumstances, but what you are made of....
Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Stripermania] #6620221 01/07/17 12:35 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Stripermania
My blind is sealed very well and 12' off the ground so I don't think they can smell me very well but my car is parked only 10 yards south of my blind and my blind is 120 yards south of feeder and the pigs comes in from north side od feeder.

Originally Posted By: Stripermania

4. Car is not visible from blind even though it is close by or feeder which is 150 yards out.

I think I found your problem. The distance between your blind and the feeder keeps changing. This should remain stable or it will spook the hogs. muyloco

Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Stripermania] #6620262 01/07/17 12:53 AM
drycreek3189 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I think I see a common theme among the scent disbelievers. That is, in these anecdotes, did you even know which way the wind was blowing ? My most common tool in hog hunting is a Thermacell, but running a very close second is a puff bottle. If it says no, I don't even attempt it. A hog may deny what he hears, or what he sees, but in my experience, he will never deny what he smells !

Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Stripermania] #6620277 01/07/17 12:59 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Does it bother anyone else that the title to this thread is

Does pigs small my parked car?

Rather than

Do pigs smell my parked car?

Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Stripermania] #6620329 01/07/17 01:26 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Does pigs smell my parked car? Yup..... whip

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: drycreek3189] #6620363 01/07/17 01:47 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: drycreek3189
I think I see a common theme among the scent disbelievers. That is, in these anecdotes, did you even know which way the wind was blowing ? My most common tool in hog hunting is a Thermacell, but running a very close second is a puff bottle. If it says no, I don't even attempt it. A hog may deny what he hears, or what he sees, but in my experience, he will never deny what he smells !

I would have missed out on a lot of hog kills if I let the wind determine everything. Not a scent disbeliever, just not a scent apologist.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide