430082 Topics
5929247 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6618870 - 01/05/17 10:50 PM Does pigs smell my parked car
Stripermania Offline
Light Foot

I hunt on a very small property but has good number of pigs to my feeder but I noticed that when I am there sometimes they don't show and when I am not there, most of the time they will show. My blind is sealed very well and 12' off the ground so I don't think they can smell me very well but my car is parked only 10 yards south of my blind and my blind is 120 yards south of feeder and the pigs comes in from north side od feeder. Do you guys think that they smell my car which is the reason they don't show since most of the time, the wind is from the south.

#6618883 - 01/05/17 11:09 PM Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Stripermania]
SapperTitan Online   content
Taking Requests

Loc: Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
The majority of the time the wind will be from the SE or SW so your scent and your car scent will be blowing directly towards the feeder the majority of the time. So yeah I'm sure that why they don't show up when you are there. Is there anywhere else you can park further away from the blind?

https://www.facebook.com/scottsrusticcreations/

#6618909 - 01/05/17 11:50 PM Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Stripermania]
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms

Loc: Mansfield, Texas
Even in a box blind, scent is getting out. If it was sealed, you would eventually run out of oxygen. But yes, your car 10 yards from the blind could be a problem. One is they will hear you come in and two is another thing to smell.

I would find somewhere else to park. If the property isn't big enough, park down the road. Also, I would hunt it with a north wind to see if anything changes.

Good luck

#6618919 - 01/06/17 12:19 AM Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Stripermania]
CharlieCTx Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Flower Mound, TX
IMHO, I think the scent thing gets way overblown...

There are plenty of videos of guys walking up on hogs at 30-40 yards and I doubt they're all downwind. I just walked up on some at 60yds. I was sitting in a low slung chair next to my Honda Pioneer one evening this past summer (too hot to sit in the blind) and a sounder waddled on up to the other side of the Pioneer, not 10ft from me. I thought they were cows until I heard an oink.

You can always move your blind closer to the feeder and that way you're farther away from the car. smile

I just think maybe, but doubtful. Don't the big bucks show up when you're not in the stand?

Charlie

M&P-10 - Kel-Tec RFB - AAC Cyclone
Pulsar XQ-50
ATN OTS 336-50mm 9hz Thermal Monocular
ATN NVM14 NV Monocular

#6618963 - 01/06/17 06:06 AM Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Stripermania]
Pig_Popper Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Fort Worth
They smell EVERYTHING so I doubt they can discern your car from anybody else's .

If they've not been hunted they won't associate you to their demise and so my assumption is they just aren't showing when you're there.

#6619129 - 01/06/17 08:14 AM Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Stripermania]
Buzzard Breath Offline
Bird Dog

wash your car with scent free soap

#6619196 - 01/06/17 09:04 AM Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: CharlieCTx]
shadams Offline
Woodsman

Loc: BANDERA TX
Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
IMHO, I think the scent thing gets way overblown... Charlie

I was just gonna say that. Just more anecdotal evidence that hunters develop. Nothing wrong with it, just doesnt mean its set in stone.

#6619199 - 01/06/17 09:08 AM Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: shadams]
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms

Loc: Mansfield, Texas
Originally Posted By: shadams
Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
IMHO, I think the scent thing gets way overblown... Charlie

I was just gonna say that. Just more anecdotal evidence that hunters develop. Nothing wrong with it, just doesnt mean its set in stone.

I don't hunt hogs as much as many of ya'll, so my experience is limited. The hogs that I have hunted would blow out of an area very quickly when downwind. Maybe they have just been pressured more than most.

Deer, I would disagree with both of you. Not to say that I have not had deer pass downwind and not run off, but I have way too much experience hunting and watching deer movement and activity to ever say that scent is overrated. IMO, with deer, it is the number one priority that should be looked at when setting up a stand or hunting period.

With that said, I am not a believer in any scent control clothing or products. cheers

#6619284 - 01/06/17 09:50 AM Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Buzzard Breath]
Reds015 Offline
Light Foot

Originally Posted By: Buzzard Breath
wash your car with scent free soap

wow! roflmao

thanks man, that was funny

#6619315 - 01/06/17 10:07 AM Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Stripermania]
Double Naught Spy Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
Well, the test would be to park some place well and see what happens and to NOT rely on just one or two instances as proof.

Since you have game camera imagery, I assume you are patterning the hogs. Are you showing up just before you expect them, or hours in advance? Often times, I have found, hogs are present in the immediate area but just not showing up on camera until well after the feeder goes off. My point is that it may not be the smell of your car so much as the commotion of your arrival and getting up and into the stand that is tipping off the hogs that you are a threat.

#6619370 - 01/06/17 10:42 AM Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Stripermania]
DLALLDER Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Pittsburg, Texas
Number 1 defense for hogs is scent. Number 2 is hearing. Number 3 is eyesight. You decide what the problem is!!

#6619377 - 01/06/17 10:47 AM Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Stripermania]
der Teufel Offline
Tracker

Loc: Central Texas
I firmly believe that scent is the most significant aspect of hog hunting.

Yes hogs can see you if you're moving around, and they can certainly hear, but typically they've got their noses to the ground and you can usually avoid making a lot of noise. But every time I've tried to pass upwind of a sounder of hogs I've been busted. Once I spotted a sow with piglets moving across a pasture, and positioned myself in the trees ahead of their path. Winds were variable, and before long I saw the sow lift her snout high into the air, and then stare directly in my direction. Suddenly she growled and started trotting away from me with piglets in tow.

If wind direction and scent isn't the most important thing to consider when hunting hogs, I don't know what is.

#6619467 - 01/06/17 11:32 AM Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: der Teufel]
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: D/FW, TX
Originally Posted By: der Teufel
If wind direction and scent isn't the most important thing to consider when hunting hogs, I don't know what is.

Everything matters, but I agree, scent is number one. Hogs are not always leery of the smells a vehicle gives off. However, if they frequent an area and the vehicle is not normally there, you bet, the difference in odor can cause them to be much more defensive in their actions. Works the same with a new bait odor at a feeder site sometimes too. They rely a lot on their sense of smell for protection, but their other senses play a key role too.

They see better than many folks give them credit for as they run through thick woods at night without running into trees or poking their eyes out on branches. I was hunting with another guy and we were stalking a sounder. IMO, we were stalking too fast and I tried to slow him down to no avail. He was in front. I noticed a sentinel hog watching him, my minds eye remembers it to be about 75 yards off, maybe a little further. There was no doubt the hog was seeing him move...and may have been hearing him walking on the rocky road. He wasn't sniffing with his nose as best I could tell, just watching. Soon, he gave a little squeak and off the sounder went. To this day, I am convinced we could have gotten into position had the other guy been more aware and slowed his stalk down. I believe the hog picked up his movement more than anything that night.

#6619552 - 01/06/17 12:20 PM Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Stripermania]
Wilhunt Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: New Braunfels, San Saba county
How much corn are you putting out? They may be cleaning it up rapidly and the other hogs have learned it is a"marginal" feeder at best. Make sure there is enough corn to hold them for a while. My experience with hogs is they are aware of the scent at times more so than others. I have walked up to within 15 yards of them without there moving and other times I have seen them run for what seemed no reason...maybe the scent. I would definitely park further away from the feeder. Consider moving the stand to where you are facing the East.

#6619640 - 01/06/17 01:09 PM Re: Does pigs smell my parked car [Re: Stripermania]
Dalee7892 Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Denton County
More corn, corn tube to keep them. Park somewhere else, walk slow to blind(3-5 steps stop then 3-5 steps and so on)
I always try to go to fast to blind, have to slow down.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide