Forums46
Topics537,029
Posts9,719,584
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Duck Season 2016-2017: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... #6586016 12/14/16 03:59 AM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

12-7-16

It had rained 4 out of the 5 previous days. Wet and mucky out. Warm and overcast with virtually no wind. Started hearing ducks about thirteen minutes before legal. Five minutes later some ducks were coming in while I was in the blind messing with the batteries of a wiggle butt decoy. A couple minutes later I said to heck with it and went to put it out. Ducks were trying to land on me while doing so. Four minutes until legal shooting time and more ducks are coming in. Two minutes till go time and ducks were piling in from every direction. I filmed the action for a bit then realized it was past shooting time and transitioned to the shotgun. At 6:45 I picked one out to swat. The rest of the birds jumped and I somehow missed the second shot before dropping one to the right of the blind. At 6:46 I swatted another and then dropped one to the left of the blind. I dropped another at 6:47. Decided to let the dog pick up the birds and make sure there wasn't another bird in the shallows that might have been hit earlier. Birds were still coming in from all over. Whipple did her work and all was well. Still needing one bird, we got back in the blind at 6:57 as a couple hover over high and land to the right. At 6:58 we got buzzed by a flock of extremely fast moving dove. Then a single comes in and gets taken out to finish up as five jump up from the right.

The decoys...

Whipple with the last bird of the morning...

Feathers everywhere...

The birds...

Whipple with the birds...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2016-2017: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6586403 12/14/16 03:34 PM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Nice up

[Linked Image]
Re: Duck Season 2016-2017: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6587607 12/15/16 05:07 AM
M
MJ937 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Good doggie

Re: Duck Season 2016-2017: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Hopedale] #6587658 12/15/16 08:24 AM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: Hopedale
Nice up

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: MJ937
Good doggie

cheers

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2016-2017: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6599104 12/23/16 02:15 AM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

12-10-16

Had a front blow through a couple of days before. Cloudy and cooler. Calm at first before the south wind would pick up throughout the morning. Heard a flock of ducks fly by about twenty minutes before legal. Had a flock of dark geese fly by behind the blind and a few ducks on the water a few minutes before shooting time. The ducks would leave right before legal when another flock buzzed overhead. A few minutes after legal a few would land off to the right. Two minutes later a single would land outside of the decoys then immediately jump and join the others. Four came in to the right with another following a couple of minutes later. Spooked the birds off of the water and probably could have shot one. A couple of minutes later a single would circle a few times before being shot at and flying off hurt. Got surprised by a low flying single sixty seconds later. Two minutes later a single circles and lands off to the right. Ten minutes go by and two fly over high. Four minutes later three teal come buzzing in from the right. One sits down in the decoys as the other two circle behind the blind. Waited to see if the two would come back but they never did so the one on the water got shot. A minute later four would pass over high from the left. About half an hour later four ducks would come in from the front and circle. One lands in the decoys and the other three circle and head toward the back pond. The shoveler on the water got taken out. Ten minutes later a single pintail would circle for what seemed like eternity before heading out. Eight minutes later a single gadwall would come in and get shot. Over the next hour roughly two dozen birds would come over in nine different groups and give a look before heading out with a few singles landing out of range. Decided to go check the back pond that the three from earlier headed towards. Of course a flock would fly over when getting out of the blind. Get close to the pond and the random flock of vultures on the barn and tower give away my presence. Ended up dropping two of the three gadwalls when they jumped. Fifteen minutes after getting back to the blind two divers would buzz over the decoys from the right and circle behind the blind before going back the way they came. Another fifteen minutes go by and three gadwalls come in and land off to the right. Took some shots at the closest bird and it flew off hurt with his friends. Eight minutes later three came over high from the right giving a look before going on their way.

Whipple bringing in a teal...

Whipple chasing down a shoveler...

Whipple brining back a gadwall...

The decoys...

The birds...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2016-2017: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6599271 12/23/16 04:06 AM
C
Caviel Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Nice pictures!

Re: Duck Season 2016-2017: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Caviel] #6600039 12/23/16 06:53 PM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: Caviel
Nice pictures!

Thanks.

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2016-2017: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6618601 01/06/17 01:14 AM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

12-11-16

Had some patchy mist on the drive that would dry up upon arrival. Overcast and warmer this morning with decent south winds. Heard a bird fly over two minutes after legal shooting time but never saw it. A minute later two land outside of the decoys too far to shoot. Another minutes goes by and a coot appears in the decoys and gets shot spooking the two ducks off of the water. Two minutes later a single gadwall cups in and gets taken out. A minute later three fly over but don't slow down. Then a single does the same. A single shoveler comes in and gets shot a minute later. Three minutes later a single teal comes in and gets taken out. After that there wasn't anything flying besides string after string of blackbirds and a few dove here and there. About 40 minutes after the last bird came in a high flock of four would come over and look before turning back. A flock of eight dark geese would fly by off to the right five minutes later. Seven minutes later it started to mist. A single gadwall came in and got shot a minute later. Before picking that bird up notices a flock of three shovelers coming in from the right. They crash in and two were taken out with one shot to finish up at 8:02. Had a couple of singles (shoveler and gadwall) come in and sit down while picking up. The mist was getting heavier and it was getting pretty wet on the walk to the truck. Lots of dove when leaving.

Blackbirds galore...

Some geese flying by...

The decoys...

Whipple waiting for orders...

Whipple picking up one of the two shovelers...

Whipple with the other shoveler...

Whipple retrieving a gadwall...

The birds...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2016-2017: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6620706 01/07/17 05:49 AM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

12-14-16

Had a supermoon out last night before clouds moved in and took over in the wee hours of the morning. Overcast and pretty warm. North winds stronger than advertised. Had some randomness in the area that affected bird movement. Morning was slower and consisted of mostly high flying, wary birds. Heard some birds moving about early. Had a single shoveler in the decoys a few minutes before legal. Shooting time would come around and the bird in the decoys got taken out. Six minutes later a single would fly by high from the right followed by a pair of divers high from the left. Two more would pass over high three minutes later. About ten minutes later a single would fly over high. Fifteen minutes later a single shoveler buzzed over from behind and drops into the lil tank. A little sneak and that bird gets shot. Forty five minutes later two come over high from behind and circle before bugging out the direction that they came. Ten minutes go by and a flock of eight fly over out of range. Sixty seconds later another single shoveler drops into the lil tank. Try to sneak but get busted with no shots. Another forty minutes go by and two come over high from behind and circle a few times before leaving. Twelve minutes later two extremely high birds do the same. Decide to check the back pond about ten minutes later. Didn't think anything was on the pond and noticed a few birds while walking up the dam. Five gadwalls immediately jump. End up dropping one at the edge of the water with another sailing off into the field. On the way back there is a shoveler and a gadwall on the tank. Try to sneak to no avail before the birds get spooked and leave. Sat around another forty minutes and had a single, a flock of five, a trio and another single fly by all high. Did get to see a white heron bust it's butt chasing after a meal.

Paxton picking up a shoveler...

This guy flew over...

The decoys...

Paxton picking up a pair of gadwalls...

This dude was looking to get out of the wind...

The bear in her den...

The birds...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2016-2017: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6625315 01/10/17 07:02 AM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

12-16-16

Cloudy and warm this morning. South winds way stronger than forecast to start off that would settle some later in the morning. Misted pretty much all morning. Slow again with mostly high flying, wary birds. Hear some ducks before legal but never see them. Five minutes after shooting time had a single fly over high from the front and go behind. Nine minutes later two fly over high from the left and head right. Then a flock of twelve pass by high from the front. Eight minutes go by and two pass over high from behind the blind. Lots of blackbirds moving through. Notice two birds off to the right about twenty minutes after seeing the last birds. They come over to give a look and one disappears out front as the other flies over the blind and vanishes. About twenty minutes later a single circles a couple of times while checking out the decoys from high overhead before losing interest and flying off. Had three really high bird fly over fourteen minutes later. Had a white heron land on the opposing bank. Then had another heron sailing in low towards the same spot. The first heron bowed up in his best karate kid impersonation to intercept and then had to flatten itself out on the water as the second heron called his bluff by not changing course and wasn't slowing down. Ten minutes later had a pair circling above with a single doing the same. The pair ends up vanishes off to the front as the single circled behind before disappearing. Six minutes later notice a single heading off to the right. Half an hour later notice a single coming in from the right with two more behind it a bit further out. The single dips over the outside of the decoys and pulls to the right as the other two come right towards the blind and start pulling up. End up dropping one of the two on the water and then shooting the bird to the right which sails over the tank dam. That bird was found running down the fence line. Had a single fly over high about twenty minutes later. Eight minutes later three teal come in from the right and circle over the decoys a few times. Dropped one in the decoys and one in the field about five yards to the right of the blind. The third bird would sail off hurt behind the blind to the left before losing sight of it. Had a single fly over as the dogs were picking up the birds. A pair would fly over off to the right from behind the blind and keep going eighteen minutes later.

Some of the blackbirds moving through...

Paxton chasing down a gadwall...

Whipple with the other gadwall...

Whipple drying off a teal...

Paxton with a teal...

Blood from the teal that sailed off...

The birds...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2016-2017: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6625431 01/10/17 01:10 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Looks like you two yutes are having a decent season.

Re: Duck Season 2016-2017: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: wal1809] #6633125 01/15/17 06:14 AM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: wal1809
Looks like you two yutes are having a decent season.

It's been okay. Definitely an odd one.

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2016-2017: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6633126 01/15/17 06:15 AM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

12-20-16

Cold to warm this morning. Few clouds and calm with light south winds later. Arrived to a nearly completely iced over body of water. There may have been a few small unfrozen spots. Commenced to busting a hole. Heard a goose fly over and a few ducks land on the ice to the right early. About ten minutes before legal some outlaws decided that they couldn't wait any longer. Had a pair land on the ice in the middle with two minutes till shooting time. They would jump and move further to the right at legal. Sixty seconds later a single gadwall lands on the ice in the middle then jumps and comes over the hole. It gets shot. The two off to the right bug out two minutes later only to come back with in another two minutes. Lots of dove flying around. A single flies over high seven minutes later. Three minutes later a ringer comes in from the left and lands near a point on the right and gets shot. Twelve minutes later a pair flies over out of reach. Fives minutes go by and see three high overhead and two from the left go right. Then see three drop from the heavens onto an adjacent property. Notice another high flying single pass over from behind four minutes later. About ten minutes later nine gadwalls come over from the right and go behind the blind. Was hoping they were going to circle back but they were never seen again. Should have shot. Six minutes later a gadwall comes over from the right and circles out front before dropping in. He gets shot. About fifteen minutes later another six pass over high and drop onto an adjacent property. Four minutes later a pair comes over from the right out of range and head to the left. They would come back over looking to sit down before heading back to the right. Another pair would pass by from the right out of range and head off out front twenty five minutes later. Twenty three minutes later a gadwall swings over the decoys. It gets shot at twice before flying off with it's tail feathers trimmed. Another twenty minutes go by and four fly by high overhead. Got buzzed by three shovelers from the right ten minutes later. Thought they were going to turn around but the never did. Notice a lone bird on the opposite shore. It would eventually jump and head off to the right. Nineteen minutes later two teal buzz over from the left. Only managed to convince one to come back. It comes over the decoys before pulling up and getting dropped. Had a flock of twenty plus pass over high overhead while picking up.

Locked up...

This gadwall was just chillin'...

Whipple breaking ice while picking it up...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2016-2017: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6633127 01/15/17 06:15 AM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

This dude flew by...

[Linked Image]

A teal that made a hole...

[Linked Image]

Whipple picking it up...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Whipple picking up a ringer...

Whipple picking up another gadwall...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The decoys...

[Linked Image]

The birds...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2016-2017: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6634698 01/16/17 06:48 AM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

12-21-16

It would turn from cool to warm this morning. Partly cloudy with south winds that would get pretty stout. Heard ducks flying over five minutes before legal shooting time. Four minutes later heard a goose honking behind the blind. Not much flying other than a mass amount of blackbirds and a few dove. Had a pair of hawks chasing dove around. About fifty minutes into the hunt a pair of gadwalls come sailing in from the right. The drake gets the first shot and is out of commission. The hen gets the other two shots and still manages to fly off to the left before turning back behind the blind. Had to load another shell and wait for her to clear a mesquite tree before she finally dropped. Roughly thirty minutes later got buzzed by two divers from the right. Could not react fast enough grab the gun let alone get a shot off. Might have seen a far off single while watching them fly off to the left. Twenty minutes later notice two off to the right. Had a huge flock of dove land by the corral ten minutes later. Very slow with very little movement.

Blackbirds moving through...

Couple of hawks causing trouble...

Whipple retrieving the drake...

The decoys...

Paxton retrieving the hen...

Some dove in the area...

A pair of pelicans that came through...

The birds...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2016-2017: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6636502 01/17/17 05:07 PM
I
iFish Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
I
Thanks for the pics

Re: Duck Season 2016-2017: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6636536 01/17/17 05:27 PM
R
ronlhodges Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Wow , lots' of great pictures . Does your dog handle that ice pretty well or do you have a heater waiting on it to get back to land ?

Re: Duck Season 2016-2017: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: iFish] #6637667 01/18/17 07:19 AM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: iFish
Thanks for the pics

No problem. wink

Originally Posted By: ronlhodges
Wow , lots' of great pictures . Does your dog handle that ice pretty well or do you have a heater waiting on it to get back to land ?

Thanks. My older girl doesn't care for it too much nowadays but the younger one has no problem with it.

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2016-2017: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6637819 01/18/17 01:57 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
You get the mud rig dirty this season?

Re: Duck Season 2016-2017: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Guy] #6642853 01/21/17 09:48 PM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: Guy
You get the mud rig dirty this season?

Now why would I do a thing like that? wink

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2016-2017: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6642854 01/21/17 09:48 PM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

12-28-16

Cloudy with fog and south winds this morning. Muggy. Ground was wet due to the precipitation from the previous few days. Hear some widgeons a few minutes before legal. Then hear a bird land on the water but can't see it. Shooting time comes around and hear some widgeons in the air off to the left and notice a bird on the water off to the left. A minute later notice three more out front on the water out of range. Sixty seconds later two more come in out of range. Four more come in and land off to the left six minutes later. Two minutes later a decision is made to go sit on the ground off to the left where most of the birds are targeting. When getting out of the blind the birds on the water jump and fly off. After getting settled two come in from the left and pull up and head off to the front. Three minutes later two gadwalls come in from the front. One sits down as the other pulls up. The one on the water gets swatted and the other bird lands in the middle and swims toward the north bank. Two more fly over from the left. Seven minutes go by and the bird on the water jumps and comes straight in and pulls up at the last second. It gets shot for it's efforts. Two minutes later a Mallard pair comes over. They look to come in only to pull up and fly off and be called back. This happens a few times before both get dropped. As the dogs are picking up some birds four teal try to land in the decoys before flying off. Two minutes later a single gadwall comes in and lands off to the right of the blind. Get surprised by a bird from the left sixty seconds later. Three minutes pass and two fly by behind the blind. The bird on the water to the right of the blind decides to swim into the decoys three minutes later and gets shot. Headed back to the blind ten minutes later with the intention of getting the truck keys to go get a layout blind. That never came to fruition as two gadwalls come in from the right and get shot. Both are cripples but aren't going to fly off. Two minutes later while rounding up the rest of the birds to the right two come in and land off to the left of the blind. Seventeen minutes later a single ringer decoys and gets shot. Three minutes later two widgeons come over high and one lands in the middle of the water as the other flies off. It gets pushed toward the decoys from the commotion of looking for the somehow missing cripples and gets shot. Twenty minutes later as an all-hands-in search for the cripple birds is taking place three birds land in the decoys as one tries to land in the lil tank. Ten minutes later while closer to the blind two teal land in the pocket near the decoys. They weren't having anything to do with a sneak and bugged out. Five minutes later a pair that was trying to come in gets spooked while getting back in the blind. Ten minutes go by and notice a single gadwall coming in from the right then hear one splash down in the decoys to the left. The far bird gets the swat and the other bird jumps only to get to live another day as the gun doesn't go off. The other gun was unloaded at the time. Nine minutes later a flock of geese flies by off to the right. A single high flyer passes by five minutes later. Two divers buzz through a minute later. Sixty seconds later four gadwalls come in with three cupping into the decoys and one landing far out. Two get taken out to finish up. Was only able to find one of the cripples way off in another field after picking up.

Paxton picking up a gadwall...

Paxton with another gadwall...

Paxton retrieving a mallard...

Whipple bringing back a widgeon...

The spread...

Whipple with a mallard...

Whipple with a gadwall...

Paxton with another gadwall...

Whipple bringing back yet another gadwall...

The birds...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2016-2017: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6644414 01/23/17 03:18 AM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

12-30-16

Warm and dead still this morning. South wind picks up a little later with some rain/sleet. Had some more randomness in the area that would affect bird movement. A minute after legal a single comes in and lands out of range. A high flying pair comes over and circles behind four minutes later. Not very long after they come over the bird on the water jumps and heads out. Three minutes later two would pass over extremely high. Two come in and land out of range sixty seconds later. Two minutes later a single comes over from behind and circles back. The birds on the water jump and head off a few minutes later. Two minutes later two pass over high. Four minutes later a pair comes in and lands far out. A minute later a couple more are overhead checking things out. Ten minutes later a single scaup buzzes through and circles back to the decoys before getting shot. After being out of the blind taking care of an issue for the next half hour a single comes in from the left and lands out of range. Fifteen minutes later a single buzzes the pocket to the left and vanishes. Out of the blind for the next forty five minutes dealing with the same issue. Get back in the blind with some of the randomness being diffused. Three minutes later a pair comes in from the right and sits down out of range. Seven minutes later a teal comes in and circles before committing to the right and gets shot. About twenty minutes later a single canvasback crashes in out of range. Sweet talked it to the decoys and shot it. About an hour later see two far off to the right. Eleven minutes go by before hearing some quacks to the left. Six minutes later see two more off to the right. Decided to stay a bit longer and go check out the back pond which ends up being unoccupied. On the way back notice four gadwalls scattered on the opposite bank from the decoys. They jump and head off behind the blind and decoys. Lots of dove, snipe and terns in the area. Twenty minutes later hear wings and notice flying high overhead heading south. Call them back and they make a big circle before heading off to the right. Roughly fifty minutes later notice a single high off to the right. Four minutes later hear some ducks and geese talking. Another four minutes pass and a single gadwall comes sailing over the back of the blind and pulls to the right and gets shot. Ten minutes later see two far off to the right. Decide to pickup and when getting to the truck notice a bird on the water.

Paxton bringing back a scaup...

Whipple with a teal...

Paxton retrieving a can...

Ice pellets...

This guy was hanging around...

Started coming down pretty good...

Whipple fetching up a gadwall...

The birds...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2016-2017: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6646027 01/24/17 03:32 AM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

1-1-17

Warm and cloudy to start off with some sun breaking out later. Wind would start off stronger than expected and would constantly change direction throughout the morning with lulls in between. Had some construction equipment working in the area. Not much movement this morning. Hear some ducks about ten minutes before legal. Six minutes before legal while getting situated a bird comes in and lands right next to the blind. It swims around and pokes at a decoy. Another does the same a minute later. A pair circles and lands a little further out two minutes later. Shooting time comes and one gets taken out with the other three jumping out of range and heading out. Eight minutes later a grebe comes crashing in. A minute later a single comes in and gets shot. About twenty minutes later a flock of geese passes through. Another twenty minutes go by and a pair buzzes through the area out of range. The next quarter hour has a small flock and a bigger flock fly through going different directions. Half an hour later three pass though with a single following. An hour later a huge flock of water turkeys fly through followed by some pelicans and a pair of ducks. Roughly thirty minutes later four come over right toward the blind and circle back the way they came. Six minutes later a single buzzes over a little high. Six minutes after that six fly by far off. They would get called back and take a look before continuing their journey. About fifteen minutes later some more pelicans would come through. Spooked an owl out of and in the barns while packing up the truck.

Blackbirds moving through...

Some geese passing by...

Paxton with a gaddie...

Whipple with a gaddie...

Some water turkeys flying through...

Pelicans circling...

The birds...

This gentleman was hanging around the barns...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2016-2017: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6647707 01/25/17 04:53 AM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

1-3-17

Got some rain the previous day making the ground nice and mucky. Sunny and warm with a few clouds. West winds kept changing from south to north with patches of calm all morning. Had some more construction going on in the area. Slow with very little bird movement. Hear some ducks off to the right thirteen minutes before legal. Had a couple of high flying flocks pass through going different directions with in the next ten minutes. Two minutes before legal a single comes in and lands fairly close. Another flock flies by. The bird on the water jumps and heads out to the right with literally ten seconds until shooting time. Three pass over high five minutes later. Had a flock of geese and a single duck fly by out of range five minutes later. Six minutes go by and three more fly by off in the distance. Another small flock does the same five minutes later. Five minutes later four pass through high. About fifteen minutes go by and three shovelers come in from the left. They circle a bit and look like they are going to light on the lil tank to the left but end up going behind before heading off out front. Had some pelicans fly through roughly thirty minutes later. See a decent sized flock off in the distance ten minutes later. Twenty minutes later another flock is seen moving through off in the distance. Thirteen minutes later a pair of widgeons buzz over the decoys to the right from behind. They bust a u-ey and come back toward the decoys on the right before pulling up. End up only dropping the drake that crashes into the field. The hen looked to be making her way back but got spooked and bugged out. Just shy of two hours later a pair of gadwalls come in from the front but abruptly sit down short and out of range. A couple of minutes later two more gadwalls come over from the same direction and immediately turn back and take the two that were on the water with them.

The sunrise...

Pelicans flying through...

Paxton retrieving the widgeon...

The bird...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2016-2017: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6654823 01/30/17 11:13 PM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

1-9-17

Water has been locked up the past couple of days. Was still frozen the previous afternoon. Clear, calm and cool changing to mostly cloudy with stout south winds. Ice still present in the shallows and some near the dam. Slow to steady with mostly high flying, wary birds. Hear some ducks off to the left early. One came in and landed in the middle and gets spooked off as an ice investigation was taking place. A few minutes later a couple land off of a point to the left. Decide to set up shop there and while moving stuff more land off the same point and get pushed off. Two minutes after legal two pass over high left to right. A minute later a couple land in the middle out of range. They swim toward the decoys before turning and heading toward the dam. A couple of minutes later one comes in and crashes to the right of the big blind. It jumps and flies off two minutes later. Four minutes go by and four fly over from behind high and keep going. A minute later a single teal crashes in off the point from behind and gets shot. After the shot five come over to the right before heading out. Get buzzed by a ton of dove a couple of minutes later. Get surprised by a single canvasback four minutes later. It circles right off the deck and goes over the big blind and the layout a couple of times. It gets dropped on the third pass and crashes into the decoys to the right. Nine minutes later two shovelers come over high from behind and head toward the front. They get called back and fly off to the front several times back and forth before finally heading off to the right. The wind finally begins to kick up about ten minutes later. Another ten minutes pass and four snow geese pass by overhead. Three minutes later a bigger flock of snows fly by further off in the distance. Five minutes later four move through the area. A couple of minutes later a flock of honkers pass by off in the distance. Miss a single ringer as it buzzed over the decoys about twenty minutes later. Then two from behind play the back and forth game before flying off. The same birds would come back nine minutes later but stop short near the dam. They eventually jump and climb before flying over and going behind. Three minutes later three come high from the front and go behind. Four more would do the same five minutes later. Three minutes go by and two swoop in right off the deck toward the point and pull up. Shoot a couple of times at the lead bird and it flies off behind hurt. Four others pass it by. Decide to pack up and head back to the big blind roughly a half hour later. While half way to the blind notice two low flyers buzz the point and continue on into the field dodging mesquites along the way. Notice two shovelers on the water getting blown toward the north shore after finally getting settled in the blind ten minutes after starting the move. They hop over into the lil tank to get out of the wind. They would promptly get jumped and shot two minutes later. Two minutes later while on the way to jump those birds a single pulls up over the decoys by the blind and heads off. Jump and shoot the two birds on the lil tank a couple of minutes later. The dog had to break ice to retrieve the birds. A few dove got startled when they tried to land on the blind about fifteen minutes later. Another fifteen minutes go by and a lone shoveler comes a little high from the front and heads right toward the blind and goes behind. About ten minutes later an Osprey flies over the decoys checking things out. Decide to go check the back pond twenty minutes later. Notice four gadwalls sitting in the middle of the water. They jump and begin to head away. The two birds on the left would get precisely carved down out of the tight knit flock to finish up.

Some ducks flying through...

Whipple retrieving a teal...

Whipple with the can...

Some snows flying over...

The decoys...

Whipple retrieving a couple of shovelers...

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide