Forums46
Topics537,969
Posts9,731,185
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: My 18 Month Old Female Setter & The Checkcord [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #6620815 01/07/17 01:52 PM
G
gspbrad Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
To each his own - by your own statements - you've been doing this for 50 years. You're not interested in any opinion other than total agreement with your own. Quite a bit of chest pounding comes across in your posts (typical internet forum behavior). Maybe you didn't intend for your post to come across this way, but sounds like a lot of pressure on a young dog. I believe that's the sentiment blanked was conveying.

End of the day, we're all very lucky to have the number of wild birds available this year. Enjoy your pup and be happy you have good health, good bird numbers and dog to hunt behind.

Originally Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter
I was able to start on my after-deer season quail lease on Monday in the Panhandle. I turned my 18 month old female setter out and she was wild as a march hare. She did not have any manners nor course whatsoever. I had put her down back in December and it was the same song. I had seen enough. She was self hunting in any direction she wanted to go, not listening and just sailing through the country. This is the same pup that was somewhat of a prodigy last season as she literally broke herself on birds in the field and we killed a bunch of them over her before she was 8 months old. Well one swing she came across the front running with the wind and I was able to nail her pretty hard with the e-collar. I got her stopped. Let's just say I hurt her feelings pretty good, but I got control of her. I snapped a 20 foot check cord on her and let her drag that for the rest of the round. She stayed right out front and listened at that point She ended up pointing me a covey and a couple of singles. Tuesday morning I teed her up with the checkcord and e-collar and turned her loose. We made a 30 minute round and she was always on the front at 150 - 200 yards but listening. When I turned, she went with me. She had 4 perfectly handled covey finds with long holds and birds killed on each flush. I am telling you all this to reiterate the beauty of the checkcord when you need to grind a young dog down a little. After they pull this around a while and get tired, they start listening better. Plus, when you get a pup into a lot of birds, they start wanting to be with you because pointing and shooting birds becomes fun for them. They want to stay close to the action. I will now keep the checkcord on her until she tells me it is time to take it off. She will need to show me that she is listening, watching what direction I am going and adjusting, not playing grabazz in the field. She definitely has all the tools to be great, but we are just putting the polish on her now. The checkcord is the best finishing tool there is along with a properly used e-collar.

Re: My 18 Month Old Female Setter & The Checkcord [Re: gspbrad] #6620868 01/07/17 02:39 PM
C
Chet Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: gspbrad
To each his own - by your own statements - you've been doing this for 50 years. iYou're not interested in any opinion other than total agreement with your own. Quite a bit of chest pounding comes across n your posts (typical internet forum behavior). Maybe you didn't intend for your post to come across this way, but sounds like a lot of pressure on a young dog. I believe that's the sentiment blanked was conveying.

End of the day, we're all very lucky to have the number of wild birds available this year. Enjoy your pup and be happy you have good health, good bird numbers and dog to hunt behind.

I was able to start on my after-deer season quail lease on Monday in the Panhandle. I turned my 18 month old female setter out and she was wild as a march hare. She did not have any manners nor course whatsoever. I had put her down back in December and it was the same song. I had seen enough. She was self hunting in any direction she wanted to go, not listening and just sailing through the country. This is the same pup that was somewhat of a prodigy last season as she literally broke herself on birds in the field and we killed a bunch of them over her before she was 8 months old. Well one swing she came across the front running with the wind and I was able to nail her pretty hard with the e-collar. I got her stopped. Let's just say I hurt her feelings pretty good, but I got control of her. I snapped a 20 foot check cord on her and let her drag that for the rest of the round. She stayed right out front and listened at that point She ended up pointing me a covey and a couple of singles. Tuesday morning I teed her up with the checkcord and e-collar and turned her loose. We made a 30 minute round and she was always on the front at 150 - 200 yards but listening. When I turned, she went with me. She had 4 perfectly handled covey finds with long holds and birds killed on each flush. I am telling you all this to reiterate the beauty of the checkcord when you need to grind a young dog down a little. After they pull this around a while and get tired, they start listening better. Plus, when you get a pup into a lot of birds, they start wanting to be with you because pointing and shooting birds becomes fun for them. They want to stay close to the action. I will now keep the checkcord on her until she tells me it is time to take it off. She will need to show me that she is listening, watching what direction I am going and adjusting, not playing grabazz in the field. She definitely has all the tools to be great, but we are just putting the polish on her now. The checkcord is the best finishing tool there is along with a properly used e-collar.

Hey GPS you may want to look into remedial reading. All I see is a recounting of measures he took to break a young dog.

Re: My 18 Month Old Female Setter & The Checkcord [Re: 68rustbucket] #6621231 01/07/17 07:40 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Well I put my pup on the ground Thursday afternoon with 20' checkcord and e-collar. She wanted to run straight behind, but came around with whistle and light bump on collar. pointed and held a covey within 5 minutes. Then put the Britt on the ground with her. She chased Britt for a little ways, then peeled off straight behind me with the wind. Waited a couple minutes, then picked up the Britt. Checked GPS and she was 215 yards behind me. Found her on point, walked in from the side and she decided it was time to break right about the time I got to the covey. Got her reeled back in with checkcord as she came by, then continued hunting. I pointed her into the wind and followed her. She went on to point 4 more coveys, for a total of 6 in one hour. I was able to get a shot at 4 of the coveys. 2 were pointed at 150 yards from me, I just watched to see how long she would hold. I was very pleased for the most part, it seemed she had another light switch on. She's just young and needing formal "whoa" training which she'll get this summer.
Here's a pic of the last point of the hour on the ground.

Re: My 18 Month Old Female Setter & The Checkcord [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #6621242 01/07/17 07:51 PM
C
Chet Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Nice piece of work up

Re: My 18 Month Old Female Setter & The Checkcord [Re: Chet] #6621340 01/07/17 09:12 PM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
That's how it's done and she looks like a dandy!

Bobby Barnett

Re: My 18 Month Old Female Setter & The Checkcord [Re: gspbrad] #6621952 01/08/17 04:20 AM
N
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: gspbrad
To each his own - by your own statements - you've been doing this for 50 years. You're not interested in any opinion other than total agreement with your own. Quite a bit of chest pounding comes across in your posts (typical internet forum behavior). Maybe you didn't intend for your post to come across this way, but sounds like a lot of pressure on a young dog. I believe that's the sentiment blanked was conveying.

GSP,
All I ask of a dog is stay to my front, check in with me every once in a while, point birds and hold them until I get there, let me flush the birds, honor another dog, and whoa when I say whoa. If he can't take that small degree of pressure that comes from training, he can stay in the dog box. It must be working. We shot two limits over my dogs today. They sure looked happy doing their jobs. Every point and flush was handled flawlessly. All I had to do was fire my shotgun. Yeah, it may be bragging or just proud to see a pup's light come on. But I feel like it is the payoff I get for all the time and effort I put into a dog to get to this point. You handle your dogs anyway you want. I will stick with mine. BTW, the female Setter only had 9 finds today, handled to near perfection. I guess I put too much pressure on her. What do you think?

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide