5962479 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6617255 - 01/04/17 11:08 PM My 18 Month Old Female Setter & The Checkcord
NorthTXbirdhunter Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Rowlett, Texas
I was able to start on my after-deer season quail lease on Monday in the Panhandle. I turned my 18 month old female setter out and she was wild as a march hare. She did not have any manners nor course whatsoever. I had put her down back in December and it was the same song. I had seen enough. She was self hunting in any direction she wanted to go, not listening and just sailing through the country. This is the same pup that was somewhat of a prodigy last season as she literally broke herself on birds in the field and we killed a bunch of them over her before she was 8 months old. Well one swing she came across the front running with the wind and I was able to nail her pretty hard with the e-collar. I got her stopped. Let's just say I hurt her feelings pretty good, but I got control of her. I snapped a 20 foot check cord on her and let her drag that for the rest of the round. She stayed right out front and listened at that point She ended up pointing me a covey and a couple of singles. Tuesday morning I teed her up with the checkcord and e-collar and turned her loose. We made a 30 minute round and she was always on the front at 150 - 200 yards but listening. When I turned, she went with me. She had 4 perfectly handled covey finds with long holds and birds killed on each flush. I am telling you all this to reiterate the beauty of the checkcord when you need to grind a young dog down a little. After they pull this around a while and get tired, they start listening better. Plus, when you get a pup into a lot of birds, they start wanting to be with you because pointing and shooting birds becomes fun for them. They want to stay close to the action. I will now keep the checkcord on her until she tells me it is time to take it off. She will need to show me that she is listening, watching what direction I am going and adjusting, not playing grabazz in the field. She definitely has all the tools to be great, but we are just putting the polish on her now. The checkcord is the best finishing tool there is along with a properly used e-collar.

Edited by NorthTXbirdhunter (01/04/17 11:25 PM)

#6617322 - 01/05/17 12:47 AM Re: My 18 Month Old Female Setter & The Checkcord [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter]
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: magnolia tx
my 200 yard dog finds a fraction of the birds as my big runners do. As long as the dog is holding birds til I get there it's not self hunting

The whole idea of having a pointer is to cover ground so you don't have to. May as well have a flusher

#6617398 - 01/05/17 06:49 AM Re: My 18 Month Old Female Setter & The Checkcord [Re: blanked]
Tracker

Originally Posted By: blanked
my 200 yard dog finds a fraction of the birds as my big runners do. As long as the dog is holding birds til I get there it's not self hunting

The whole idea of having a pointer is to cover ground so you don't have to. May as well have a flusher

blanked, she will run as big as I let her go . My whole point was that she has to go with you and to the front. My dogs "pointed" 44 coveys in a day and a half and I was on foot where typically I am on my dog buggy. I am hunting birds, not dogs. Any time you want to hook up with some of my "flushers", you let me know. Every time you pick yours up, mine will be right there or beyond. BTW, my dogs don't flush. They are broke wing to shot.

#6617489 - 01/05/17 08:02 AM Re: My 18 Month Old Female Setter & The Checkcord [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter]
Chet Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Benbrook
This

#6617593 - 01/05/17 08:43 AM Re: My 18 Month Old Female Setter & The Checkcord [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter]
Jkd106 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Fannin and Hall
IMO big runners are good when Coveys are spread out, but I want to be able to keep control and close dogs when birds are thick. I don't want my dogs on point at 500yds or more, while I'm busting birds going to them. Also check cord is a good tool, but sore feet and tired dogs learn more, in my experience. NorthTx I'm with you also, on the fact I'm a bird hunter not a show dog trainer.

#6617600 - 01/05/17 08:45 AM Re: My 18 Month Old Female Setter & The Checkcord [Re: blanked]
bill oxner Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Katy-Fulshear

But, to the front. There's a 10:00 to 2:00 saying for a reason.

#6618021 - 01/05/17 01:02 PM Re: My 18 Month Old Female Setter & The Checkcord [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter]
68rustbucket Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: San Marcos, TX
I'm having the same issue with my 12 mo. Pup. Constantly wanting to go behind, and hunt on her own. I put the checkcord on her this morning, it seemed to help a little. I have to keep bumping her around with the collar. She still wants to get way off. If she would hold til I got there I'd let her range more. More training is nessecary.

#6618039 - 01/05/17 01:15 PM Re: My 18 Month Old Female Setter & The Checkcord [Re: 68rustbucket]
Tracker

Originally Posted By: 68rustbucket
I'm having the same issue with my 12 mo. Pup. Constantly wanting to go behind, and hunt on her own. I put the checkcord on her this morning, it seemed to help a little. I have to keep bumping her around with the collar. She still wants to get way off. If she would hold til I got there I'd let her range more. More training is nessecary.

Are you hunting her by herself or with other dogs? On foot or from a buggy? Has she been on a lot of birds or just a few?

Edited by NorthTXbirdhunter (01/05/17 01:16 PM)

#6618050 - 01/05/17 01:25 PM Re: My 18 Month Old Female Setter & The Checkcord [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter]
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker

12 months let the pup be a pup. Let her learn to hunt and point birds on her own. Forget the cc and e collar no discipine

Also a well bred pointer will range out as far as needed to find birds with the the right cover on there own. When bird numbers are plentiful with good cover my big range dogs will not range very far

Edited by blanked (01/05/17 01:31 PM)

#6618078 - 01/05/17 01:35 PM Re: My 18 Month Old Female Setter & The Checkcord [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter]
68rustbucket Offline
Pro Tracker

I'm running her mostly alone out of buggy, bit I will get out and walk occasionally. I tried running her with my Britt a couple times, but just turns into a dog race. Pups probably pointed about 15 coveys

#6618146 - 01/05/17 02:14 PM Re: My 18 Month Old Female Setter & The Checkcord [Re: blanked]
Tracker

12 months let the pup be a pup. Let her learn to hunt and point birds on her own. Forget the cc and e collar no discipine

Also a well bred pointer will range out as far as needed to find birds with the the right cover on there own. When bird numbers are plentiful with good cover my big range dogs will not range very far

A 12 month old birddog pup needs to be finding the front and starting to handle. I am not a believer that any pup can train themselves. I mentioned that my pup broke herself in the field last year but we still continued with the formal training in the spring. A young dog needs to learn when they have erred and then get that knowledge and positive reinforcement with the repetition of the regimen. Otherwise, they typically start some bad habits at an older age making it much harder to correct. They don't realize that they are doing it wrong.

#6618176 - 01/05/17 02:25 PM Re: My 18 Month Old Female Setter & The Checkcord [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter]
68rustbucket Offline
Pro Tracker

I concur

#6618212 - 01/05/17 02:40 PM Re: My 18 Month Old Female Setter & The Checkcord [Re: 68rustbucket]
Tracker

If the Britt is going to the front and finding birds, let her go with him. You just need some broke finds and a lot of them. If you can get the Britt pointed, grab the CC of the pup and lead her up pretty close to the Britt and make her hold while you still control the rope. Don't be too fast to flush and make her hold and pay attention to the situation. Only shoot after both dogs have handled everything right. Have you introduced the pup to whoa breaking yet?

#6618485 - 01/05/17 05:44 PM Re: My 18 Month Old Female Setter & The Checkcord [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter]
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker

You cannot teach a dogs desire to hunt and point . That's part of the breeding. The dog has to learn that on his own without you interfering.

Formal training and the dogs natural ability ( pointing and desire to hunt ) are 2 different things

Edited by blanked (01/05/17 05:49 PM)

#6618491 - 01/05/17 05:47 PM Re: My 18 Month Old Female Setter & The Checkcord [Re: blanked]
bill oxner Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Katy-Fulshear
You cannot teach a dog to hunt and point. That's part of the breeding. The dog has to learn that on his own without you interfering.

I mostly agree. I have a nine year old pointer that still gets out of pocket and behind more than I like.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide