Page 1 of 2 1 2
Anti high fence guys..... #6616342 01/04/17 08:09 PM
T
Texas Tatonkas Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
So are you native game only as well? Serious question - if you had the opportunity to hunt ibex or oryx here in new mexico would you pass since they were introduced and confined to certain areas. Also if you have an exotic come on your low fence place would you shoot it?

Re: Anti high fence guys..... [Re: Texas Tatonkas] #6616380 01/04/17 08:32 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I am an equal opportunity shooter and this HF vs LF has completely gotten out of hand. I have killed deer on HF and would do so if the opportunity presented itself again. I primarily hunt LF but the majority of the HF supporters arguments just don't resonate with me. I believe both are legitimate hunting opportunities but they are not equal in my eyes.

I was probably not your intended audience but found reason to respond.

Re: Anti high fence guys..... [Re: Texas Tatonkas] #6616386 01/04/17 08:34 PM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
popcorn

"The foreign hordes..."--Bill Cutting, The Gangs of New York

Re: Anti high fence guys..... [Re: Texas Tatonkas] #6616444 01/04/17 09:16 PM
S
swmays Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
If there were any exotics near my slice of heaven I would shoot it, if I knew what it was and it was tasty.

I have nothing against HF until the rationalization begins. Not sure how this pertains to HF...

Re: Anti high fence guys..... [Re: Texas Tatonkas] #6616549 01/04/17 10:01 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I am not a big fan of exotics to be honest. Especially those just raised and shot for commercial purposes. I do understand that some species have been preserved because of their commercial value. I guess that's laudable, though it's really just a by-product of the commercialization rather than a directed effort to save the species. I have no interest in hunting exotics at a commercial operation.

The gemsbok and ibex of New Mexico are a different ballgame from the commercial operations. Just as the free-ranging auodad of west TX are different than the pen-raised ones.

I would not hesitate to hunt the NM wild ibex and have put in for the tag a couple of times. It's a challenging hunt in some rough terrain. They are not artificially confined as I understand it. I have not put in for the White Sands gemsbok hunt and will probably never hunt aoudad.

I would shoot an exotic that wandered into my place for meat if the opportunity arose. And to get rid of it. I wouldn't crow about it or get much of a thrill from it.

2cents

Re: Anti high fence guys..... [Re: Texas Tatonkas] #6616555 01/04/17 10:07 PM
Woodsman
Woodsman
Exotics are for rich city slickers from southlake who drive escalades and drink michelob ultra. No respect for exotic hunting of any kind. I don't respect hunters who shoot lions and elephants for that matter either. They are all in the same class of "hunter" to me.

Last edited by deftsound; 01/04/17 10:08 PM.
Re: Anti high fence guys..... [Re: Texas Tatonkas] #6616562 01/04/17 10:11 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I'd much rather shoot a 140" whitetail than a 30+ inch axis.

I've hunted HF, but prefer LF. It's all just personal preference.

Re: Anti high fence guys..... [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6616569 01/04/17 10:15 PM
F
Fishercounty Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Sure Id "shoot" them if they wondered onto my place. Like Nogalus said, to get rid of it. If I wanted goat meat Id go to a livestock auction.

Re: Anti high fence guys..... [Re: ] #6616588 01/04/17 10:26 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: deftsound
Exotics are for rich city slickers from southlake who drive escalades and drink michelob ultra. No respect for exotic hunting of any kind. I don't respect hunters who shoot lions and elephants for that matter either. They are all in the same class of "hunter" to me.

Wait a minute, I thought every respectable HF "hunter" from southlake drove a souped up jacked up never seen the dirt of a gravel road 4x4 while drinking wine out of their yeti rambler while giving their teenagers beers from their yeti coolers in their backyard oasis...

You telling me they drive escalades?

Re: Anti high fence guys..... [Re: Texas Tatonkas] #6616609 01/04/17 10:37 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
The exotics discussion is different than the HF discussion - though they can (and often do) overlap. Even on a LF place in TX I would consider the presence of exotics more of a negative than a positive. Many feel differently and love them. A lot of guys love hogs on a place too. I wish mine would disappear.

A lot of folks just like having stuff available for them to shoot. They like to hear their guns go bang and watch something fall.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Anti high fence guys..... [Re: ] #6616667 01/04/17 11:08 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

This has to be a new record for the number of ignorant statements in 4 sentences. Especially that Michelob Ultra is a. beer, and b., a rich man's beer.

The rest of it just makes the point for your opposition, reinforcing the class envy argument, and is astounding in its stupidity.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Anti high fence guys..... [Re: ] #6616702 01/04/17 11:22 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Hunting's downfall will be, in part, to hunters that think like this. Maybe not now, or in 50 or 100 years, but at some point. And, also, you seem jealous of people that, your view, don't dont do what you find to be acceptable.

I just can't take people like you seriously. It's too much effort and would require me to care about self-righteous people that have no respect for some vision of people you made up in your head.

I guess that's my opinion on HF vs LF - more people need to live and let live. A lot of people on this forum are starting to sound like the millennials they despise.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Anti high fence guys..... [Re: Duck_Hunter] #6616711 01/04/17 11:26 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Hunting's downfall will be, in part, to hunters that think like this. Maybe not now, or in 50 or 100 years, but at some point. And, also, you seem jealous of people that, your view, don't dont do what you find to be acceptable.

I just can't take people like you seriously. It's too much effort and would require me to care about self-righteous people that have no respect for some vision of people you made up in your head.

I guess that's my opinion on HF vs LF - more people need to live and let live. A lot of people on this forum are starting to sound like the liberals they despise.

There I fixed it for you.

Re: Anti high fence guys..... [Re: Texas Tatonkas] #6616721 01/04/17 11:31 PM
P
PKnTX Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
...because another high fence thread was needed... troll hammer bang argue

Re: Anti high fence guys..... [Re: Texas buckeye] #6616748 01/04/17 11:52 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye

I guess that's my opinion on HF vs LF - more people need to live and let live. A lot of people on this forum are starting to sound like the liberals they despise.

Nailed it. What gets me is most won't own it.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Anti high fence guys..... [Re: Creekrunner] #6616750 01/04/17 11:52 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner

This has to be a new record for the number of ignorant statements in 4 sentences. Especially that Michelob Ultra is a. beer, and b., a rich man's beer.

The rest of it just makes the point for your opposition, reinforcing the class envy argument, and is astounding in its stupidity.

Probably post of the day.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Anti high fence guys..... [Re: therancher] #6616756 01/04/17 11:57 PM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
Originally Posted By: therancher
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye

Nailed it. What gets me is most won't own it.

That liberal crap is old.

I'm a Republican, it says so in red letters on my voter registration card, and I don't like HF.

A pen is a pen.

Talent is a gift, character is a decision.
Re: Anti high fence guys..... [Re: Creekrunner] #6616758 01/04/17 11:59 PM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner

Never tried Michelob Ultra, even the can looks gay.

Re: Anti high fence guys..... [Re: Texas Tatonkas] #6616764 01/05/17 12:03 AM
P
PKnTX Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
You know it's serious business when folks opinion
cast them as liberals or gays.
happybday

Re: Anti high fence guys..... [Re: PKnTX] #6616783 01/05/17 12:16 AM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
Originally Posted By: PKnTX
happybday

I only called the can gay.......

Re: Anti high fence guys..... [Re: Texas Tatonkas] #6616796 01/05/17 12:21 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I wish people would stop liking what I don't like...........

Re: Anti high fence guys..... [Re: A.B.] #6616808 01/05/17 12:27 AM
P
PKnTX Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: A.B.
Originally Posted By: PKnTX
happybday

I only called the can gay.......

Duly noted, though cans are notorious fence haters.

Re: Anti high fence guys..... [Re: Texas Tatonkas] #6616823 01/05/17 12:32 AM
ETexas Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
High Fence is more sporting

Re: Anti high fence guys..... [Re: Texas Tatonkas] #6616857 01/05/17 12:53 AM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I'll weigh in here - Do I hunt HF ranches - No. More and more of private property in TX is being HF off though. Landowners rights in Texas are important, not just fences but water rights. This goes all the way back to the 1850's. As original land owners pass away and leave the property to multiple family members either one or two things happen - the ranch gets split up into smaller tracts or is HF and managed for multiple uses. To the OP question - If an exotic happens to wander onto our LF ranch it is fair game. We have had Axis and Elk come through a break in a HF. We notified ranch owner each time but he said he appreciated it and would repair the fence but there was nothing he could do if the animal was on our ranch. One time fence was breached due to wildfire and second time due to flooding. Finally, I have no problem with those that want to hunt a HF ranch - like it or not it is the way things are these days unless you are in very remote parts of Texas.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Anti high fence guys..... [Re: ] #6617030 01/05/17 02:23 AM
Shane431 Offline
Tracker
Tracker

You are so ignorant! We drink IPA's! Obviously have never sat in a suite at Jerry's world!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide