5784468 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#6616417 - 01/04/17 02:55 PM So instead of bashing each other over HF LF
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests

Loc: Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
Let's hear some actual experiences and stories not hear say or my buddy or whatever but your actual experiences rather positive or negative.

I'll start

A couple yrs ago I picked up my first bow and wanted to kill a hog with it. I found a fairly cheap place in Burnet that others had mentioned in the past. I didn't do my research and went ahead and booked a trip to kill a hog. When I arrived for the hunt not there was a group of like 6 of us and the guide packed us all in his truck and dropped us off at out spots. Mine was a cedar blind with a feeder. Once the feeder went off I had prob 6!different species of animals in front of me within seconds. I could also hear all the other feeders going off around me come to find out the place was only like 100 acres and HF. About 20 min after the feeder went off a small group of small hogs came in and I shot one. At this point I still didn't know this was a canned hunt and didn't even really know what HF canned hunts were. All that changed when we were at the skinning rack and this guy pulls up and says he ants to shoot some ram and the guide goes sure he is right over here. I walk over with them and it's a pen prob 5 acres with a couple rams, a buffalo, an axis buck and a few other animals. No brush no trees just a grass pasture. The guy pays the guid and shoots the ram and that when I realized that canned hunts aren't for me. I'd still be open to HF hunts but I'd do my research before ever paying for a hunt on one again. I know my experience was bad but I know all HF ranches and hunts aren't created equal therefor I keep an open mind about it.

The only other experience I have with a HF is at ErathKid's place. His neighbor runs a large HF operation. From what I'm told they have had a tough yr getting their hunters on mature big deer. They have killed some but it was tough going. It's thick country with lots of cedar and oaks. Deer haven't come to feeders. What I found interesting though is when we would rattle on the LF side multiple giant bucks would come to the fence line I'm talking sometimes 2-4 bucks over 200 inches. Now I don't blame this on the deer being pen raised I think it's bc of good management on their part. More buck or equal bucks to doe ratio means they will be more receptive to rattling IMO. I would never pay to kill one of those freaks but if they said hey come on over we need some management deer killed I'd be all over it and I know it would be a hunt.

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I could never repay you for the pleasure I've gotten out of your meat package.

#6616423 - 01/04/17 03:02 PM Re: So instead of bashing each other over HF LF [Re: SapperTitan]
Bucks and Ducks Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Texas
mods should ban any hf/lf discussions, never leads to anything good

#6616427 - 01/04/17 03:04 PM Re: So instead of bashing each other over HF LF [Re: Bucks and Ducks]
JJH Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Katy
The discussions generate traffic. Traffic is good for the mods.

#6616491 - 01/04/17 03:29 PM Re: So instead of bashing each other over HF LF [Re: SapperTitan]
Bbear Offline
Tracker

Loc: West Texas
I grew up hunting on a strictly low-fence ranch. No feeders, no protein just over grown with deer. I won't mention where in the state this is/was. The local game warden told my Dad and the LO that they needed to take 200 does off of the place to just try and even out the population. As a 6 year old, that was music to my ears. By the time the LO sold the place and we started looking for someplace else, I was 18 and headed to college. By that time I'd taken just under 200 WT. None were ever wasted. We would give them to a local Hispanic family and they and their extended families were grateful (side note: at a HS reunion I ran into the son that is my age. He introduced me to his wife and explained to her that I was the guy that kept their family fed for so many years. He was nearly in tears talking about how grateful they were that we would keep them in meat).
The above is just to state that I have hunted low fence quite a bit and still do.
My son in law's Mom owns a 3400 acre place. It had an old high fence on one side that was so porous as to nearly be nonexistent. In fact, we would run game cams at some of the holes to see what was passing back and forth. In the middle of the property was one 400 acre pasture heavily treed with lot's of underbrush. She paid to have some of the valleys cleared out of the mesquite (primarily for cattle). She started protein feeding in all pastures. About 4 years ago she got the 400 acre pasture high fenced. She had gotten heavily into selling hunts for WT and axis. If you brought your spouse or kids out, they would go to that pasture to take out the cull bucks and does. She finally all but cleared out that pasture of almost all of the whitetail.
She paid to have the upper end of that pasture (about 40 acres) penned for breeding pairs. The buck fawns are moved to a 20 acre holding pen that hasn't been cleared until they are about 2.5 or so, then they are released into the rest of the 400 acre pasture. Hunters pay to hunt there with an excellent chance of bucks from the 160's to just under 200" class. The hunt strictly by stand near feeders for the whitetails. The rest of the 3000 acres are not high fenced (except for now two sides - she had to fence out the neighbors goats and their hunters that were jumping the fence to hunt on her place without permission). Hunts here are less expensive than the breeder buck release area but still aren't cheap. You have a legitimate chance for a home-grown Texas NATIVE whitetail that will hit in the 180's. Quite a number of bucks I've seen are in the 140-160 class, free-range whitetails.
I've hunted here off an on for the past 7 years. I've hunted in the 400 acre pasture to help get rid of some of the whitetails, but mostly I hunt there with my grandson in the low-fence area.
I'm a meat hunter and she knows it. In the 7 years I've hunted there I've taken exactly 2 bucks off the place. Both were management bucks and neither would score 100". All of the rest have been whitetail does. Of the axis I've taken I've only taken one buck - a spike with a broken leg. The rest of the axis have been does.
Though I'd prefer to hunt on foot, this is HER ranch and I hunt the way she wishes. And any time I can spend with my grandson is time well spent. He's got a 3 year old sister that's about ready to start learning to shoot, so it's looking like any spare time I have will be taken care of.

Now, having described the two main places I've hunted, what differences do you see? Not much. Other than one has spent a WHOLE lot more $$$ to feed and improve their herd.

As for calling for ban hf/lf discussions, do we need to set up safe spaces for some? wink

Edited by Bbear (01/04/17 03:30 PM)

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Stupidity is the deliberate cultivation of ignorance

#6616496 - 01/04/17 03:30 PM Re: So instead of bashing each other over HF LF [Re: SapperTitan]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
This needed its own thread? We already had at least two going...

#6616512 - 01/04/17 03:39 PM Re: So instead of bashing each other over HF LF [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks]
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
This needed its own thread? We already had at least two going...
I wanted this thread to be based off of experiences rather than hear say and it's not meant to be a HF LF taking sides thread. Just wanted to hear what people have experienced while hunting HF but thanks for the comment.

#6616530 - 01/04/17 03:50 PM Re: So instead of bashing each other over HF LF [Re: SapperTitan]
TexasKC Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Houston & Lexington, Texas
I've hunted an 11k acre high fence ranch near 3 Rivers a couple of times. It's a corporate lease where they take at least 15 different customers from around the country every weekend. They have a 10pt. or better rule and I would be surprised if there is a single mature buck on the place. If I had a lease anywhere near that ranch I would be danged glad they have the HF. The only reason I ever go is because they feed you like kings. LOL

#6616532 - 01/04/17 03:50 PM Re: So instead of bashing each other over HF LF [Re: SapperTitan]
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training

Loc: Katy, TX
Below are all the high fence places I can remember hunting at. There's not a single trip that I go on that I don't enjoy to the fullest because hunting is more than the fence and the animal, it's about nature and escape.

200% wild animals: Camel Ridge Ranch, Hall Ranch, Texana Ranch, Double Arrow Bowhunting, Los Cuernos Ranch, Forister Exotics, Serengeti Ranch, Purple Sage Ranch, no-name place in STX, Stone Creek Ranch, BowsnRods's place.
50-50 wild animals (some animals wild, others not): Las Catarinas Ranch, WRS Ranch, Three Fingers Bowhunting.

Never been to, but my dad, cousins, and uncle have, the Cougar Run and Cougar Run II Ranches near Houston. Bad operation from their accounts as well as from Mr. Danny @ DB Ranch. This is old information though, so I don't know how they are now.

Only thing I'm wary about is pay-up-front deals (not deposits) or "day leases." Went to one a few years ago and shot a very expensive yearling corsican ram. I mean, "it's hunting," but like cry

#6616597 - 01/04/17 04:32 PM Re: So instead of bashing each other over HF LF [Re: chital_shikari]
Texas buckeye Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Keller
Originally Posted By: chital_shikari
Below are all the high fence places I can remember hunting at. There's not a single trip that I go on that I don't enjoy to the fullest because hunting is more than the fence and the animal, it's about nature and escape.

200% wild animals: Camel Ridge Ranch, Hall Ranch, Texana Ranch, Double Arrow Bowhunting, Los Cuernos Ranch, Forister Exotics, Serengeti Ranch, Purple Sage Ranch, no-name place in STX, Stone Creek Ranch, BowsnRods's place.
50-50 wild animals (some animals wild, others not): Las Catarinas Ranch, WRS Ranch, Three Fingers Bowhunting.

Never been to, but my dad, cousins, and uncle have, the Cougar Run and Cougar Run II Ranches near Houston. Bad operation from their accounts as well as from Mr. Danny @ DB Ranch. This is old information though, so I don't know how they are now.

Only thing I'm wary about is pay-up-front deals (not deposits) or "day leases." Went to one a few years ago and shot a very expensive yearling corsican ram. I mean, "it's hunting," but like cry

Some teenager has too much money to spend on hunting 200% wild animals flehan

I sure hope you have a college plan cuz with all those animals and trips I am sure you paid for college once or maybe twice over....

#6616614 - 01/04/17 04:39 PM Re: So instead of bashing each other over HF LF [Re: Texas buckeye]
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests

Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye

I sure hope you have a college plan cuz with all those animals and trips I am sure you paid for college once or maybe twice over....
I do believe he will be attending West Point Military academy so looks like you and your tax dollars will be paying for his schooling. I'm sure he appreciates it.

#6616631 - 01/04/17 04:47 PM Re: So instead of bashing each other over HF LF [Re: JJH]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
Originally Posted By: JJH

Watching elitists bash hunters, does nothing for a volunteer mod staff but highlight a tragedy that will eventually destroy hunting. The LF HF discussion is more of chest beating of elitist looking to demoralize others, never about hunting, animal habitats, animal and range management etc. just stupid comments ment to hurt or demoralize fellow hunters.

It's the tragedy of THF. The elitistest troll ground.

#6616639 - 01/04/17 04:53 PM Re: So instead of bashing each other over HF LF [Re: SapperTitan]
Texas buckeye Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Keller
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye

I do believe he will be attending West Point Military academy so looks like you and your tax dollars will be paying for his schooling. I'm sure he appreciates it.

Oh man that's awesome if he is going to WP. My brother went to USAFA and I was in USAF for 8 years, so respect anyone willing to put themselves through one of the academies. Its tough, many don't want to do it again, but worth it for most.

Chital, is this correct, you are going to West Point?

#6616640 - 01/04/17 04:53 PM Re: So instead of bashing each other over HF LF [Re: SapperTitan]
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
First HF hunt.

Went on a $100 doe hunt a few years ago. Place was about 1200 acre HF. Was dropped off at the blind and threw some corn by hand much like we have always done. Feeder went off deer started to fill in. I saw a nice doe and was ready to shoot her. I was sitting with the owners son and he was pretty persistent on killing a spike so we waited around saw a few fork horns and a pretty nice 8pt. Finally spike showed up and we blasted him, felt no different than any other blind hunt ive ever been on.

#6616650 - 01/04/17 04:58 PM Re: So instead of bashing each other over HF LF [Re: Texas buckeye]
HCHunter28 Online   content
Woodsman

I went on an out of state trip that one of my relatives set up. I was excited about going on a true Midwest whitetail hunt. I didn't do any of the research and just sent the money.

I show up at the farmstead and meet the owners. They start showing us some of the sheds from the place and some trophies they've taken off. They start going over the game plan for tomorrow and that we'll head over to the preserve about 8:00 to glass (I thought a deer preserve was a place you don't enter so it's a safe haven to keep deer on your place). The next morning we start walking up the hill and once we crest the hill there's a huge fence. Turns out Midwest people call a deer pen a preserve. It was about 300 acres with no trees and all bucks. Mule deer, albino whitetails, elk, and big whitetails. I had already paid for two spots so I let my son shoot 2 deer.

We shot 1 and they pulled a truck in to pick it up and my cousin had about 30 bucks all in the 130-160 range run by him within 30 yards. That's not hunting and I'm embarrassed to tell that story.

I'm a high fenced guy and it's really is hunting on most places. There are a few out there that give all of them a bad name.

#6616661 - 01/04/17 05:03 PM Re: So instead of bashing each other over HF LF [Re: BOBO the Clown]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: JJH

Watching elitists bash hunters, does nothing for a volunteer mod staff but highlight a tragedy that will eventually destroy hunting. The LF HF discussion is more of chest beating of elitist looking to demoralize others, never about hunting, animal habitats, animal and range management etc. just stupid comments ment to hurt or demoralize fellow hunters.

It's the tragedy of THF. The elitistest troll ground.

It's a hot topic nationwide. Has been for quite some time. So not sure why anyone would act surprised it's one here. In fact, THF is only venue I have seen where those who favor free-range/fair chase are called the "elitists". That shoe is on the other foot in other states across the country where the very idea of shooting confined animals strikes most as amusing to downright sad.

Go on western/northern hunting sites, start a HF discussion, and see what the responses are....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide