45 Forums
413460 Topics
5759045 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Topic Options
#6616041 - 01/04/17 11:30 AM Curing and smoking ham
mikei Online   content
Pro Tracker

This is a very interesting video about how the old Kentucky folks cure and smoke their hogs. I'm going to try it, and thought I'd share the information with you folks.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ken...1&FORM=VIRE

#6617675 - 01/05/17 09:14 AM Re: Curing and smoking ham [Re: mikei]
decook Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Montgomery, TX USA
mikei , I watched the video and I really advise you against doing what they show in the video. That old man comes from generations that know how to avoid botulism and other food borne illnesses. Unless you have someone mentoring you, and even still it isn't worth the risk, then plan on using Cure #2 for longer term curing.

Tons of recipes on the net, and also the climate here will require you to make a temperature and humidity controlled chamber to pull this off safely.

I've never done it. The cost to make a curing area (chamber) is just not worth it to me. I have studied it pretty deeply, and came to the conclusion that it is better to but it at Kroger or HEB when they go on sale.

Take this for what its worth from a guy that admits he has never dry cured a ham. YMMV

#6618265 - 01/05/17 03:12 PM Re: Curing and smoking ham [Re: decook]
mikei Online   content
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: decook
mikei , I watched the video and I really advise you against doing what they show in the video. That old man comes from generations that know how to avoid botulism and other food borne illnesses. Unless you have someone mentoring you, and even still it isn't worth the risk, then plan on using Cure #2 for longer term curing.

Tons of recipes on the net, and also the climate here will require you to make a temperature and humidity controlled chamber to pull this off safely.

I've never done it. The cost to make a curing area (chamber) is just not worth it to me. I have studied it pretty deeply, and came to the conclusion that it is better to but it at Kroger or HEB when they go on sale.

Take this for what its worth from a guy that admits he has never dry cured a ham. YMMV

Thanks for the input, decook! I'm thinking I might go small and grab off a chunk of a pork shoulder to work with. I've got a storm shelter that is pretty well temperature controlled, but the humidity may be a problem. Here in CenTex we're pretty dry, most of the time, but we do have days and days that provide us with high humidity without the benefit of any rain! I might also investigate the use of an old refrigerator or freezer to use as a curing space. But I'll be very careful and will toss the "cured" meat out if it doesn't either look, smell or taste right after a tiny sample!

#6623936 - 01/09/17 11:48 AM Re: Curing and smoking ham [Re: mikei]
TX_Diver Online   content
Woodsman

I've done it using this recipe and it's fantastic.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/curing_ham.html

The bacon recipe from that site makes the best bacon I've ever tasted.

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide