Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: slow year? [Re: TackDriver] #6615745 01/04/17 02:19 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I think you can attribute the lack of shooter bucks this year to the drought conditions in the years preceding 2011. We noticed the same thing on our lease. We have lots of bucks that are just nearly shooters, but they are too young and need another year or so. It bodes well for next year, but it did not make this year much fun.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: slow year? [Re: TackDriver] #6615754 01/04/17 02:23 PM
B
bossbowman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Its a limited resource guys, just because the state says you can shoot X number of deer per person doesn't necessarily mean you should, especially on a small acreage with alot of hunters.

Last edited by bossbowman; 01/04/17 02:24 PM.
Re: slow year? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6615933 01/04/17 04:18 PM
T
TackDriver Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Originally Posted By: Big Stan
30 Trophy bucks over the last 3 years? How many acres are you hunting?

350 acres low fenced that borders big ranches like Jones and a few others. One of our 5 hunters is hunting on another section outside of our 350 acres, he is allowed to by owner's permission. So its 4 hunters in 350 acres.

You have killed way too many bucks is the problem.

Me or the group of hunters? We have seen lots of young bucks with racks up to 10 points but right at the ears, which we don't shoot at which lots of others who would, that we passed on, they should be good in the next year or two. It's not just because we killed too many bigger bucks, we lacked the freeze which destroys green / foraging food for the deer which in turn come to feed on protein and corn, but they have been feeding mostly on forage because we had a pretty steady rainfall this year, plus competition with other ranches where deer travel to and fro. Our bucks aren't disappearing, there are lots of them in there, but the trophy bucks are coming out on cameras at night but not out to feed or coming out during days when we aren't there. If we don't get any bucks, we just grab a spike or two for the meat for the year on the spike season after buck season ends, its no big deal.

Re: slow year? [Re: TackDriver] #6615960 01/04/17 04:35 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Stan, I think the point that some are attempting to make is that 30 trophy bucks harvested in a 3 year period on 350 acres, let alone 3,500 acres is a lot of trophy buck harvesting and you have quite possibly "shot out" that class of buck from the area for the most part or have at least driven them largely to nocturnal activities. Deer are smart, when under duress, they will vacate the area for less stress and pressured areas.

Re: slow year? [Re: DQ Kid] #6616002 01/04/17 05:04 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
Stan, I think the point that some are attempting to make is that 30 trophy bucks harvested in a 3 year period on 350 acres, let alone 3,500 acres is a lot of trophy buck harvesting and you have quite possibly "shot out" that class of buck from the area for the most part or have at least driven them largely to nocturnal activities. Deer are smart, when under duress, they will vacate the area for less stress and pressured areas.

x2

It's hell eatin em live
Re: slow year? [Re: TackDriver] #6616003 01/04/17 05:05 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Sounds like the exact reason so many places are HF'ing.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: slow year? [Re: TackDriver] #6616034 01/04/17 05:27 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Stan, you guys need to re-assess your method.
1. way too many "trophy" bucks being shot. Doesn't matter your criteria for trophy buck vs other peoples definition, you guys have shot out the class of buck you said is missing this year...

2. shoot does. With too many doe and not enough bucks (see #1), the bucks don't need to move as they can breed and not compete for the abundant does out there.

3. Shoot more pigs. These are not any good for anyone other than target practice as they tear up land, drive off deer, and compete for resources the deer want. get rid of them all and your deer numbers will go up.

4. Develop an age structure to base "trophy buck" from rather than your current criteria. if you are worried about it enough to post on here, then develop criteria where only 4.5 yo or older bucks can be taken regardless of antler structure (as long as its legal) and let the young ones walk until older.

5. 4 guys hunting 350 acres is tight. Maybe lighten the load off the lease or agree that not everyone will shoot a buck or something, there is probably too many hunting that property and taking too many bucks. Rotate every year someone only shoots does. I don't know. But that's tight.

Just a couple of steps I would take to help your problem, and there is more if you want more. 30 bucks over 3 years is way too many though!

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 01/04/17 05:29 PM.
Re: slow year? [Re: TackDriver] #6634679 01/16/17 06:08 AM
old raider Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Slow year in Young County. Many small bucks and way to many doe.We're over run with doe and they cut our tags back to 2 doe. Figure that.

Re: slow year? [Re: TackDriver] #6635370 01/16/17 08:57 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
30 Trophy bucks over the last 3 years? How many acres are you hunting?

350 acres low fenced that borders big ranches like Jones and a few others. One of our 5 hunters is hunting on another section outside of our 350 acres, he is allowed to by owner's permission. So its 4 hunters in 350 acres.

You have killed way too many bucks is the problem.

Me or the group of hunters? We have seen lots of young bucks with racks up to 10 points but right at the ears, which we don't shoot at which lots of others who would, that we passed on, they should be good in the next year or two. It's not just because we killed too many bigger bucks, we lacked the freeze which destroys green / foraging food for the deer which in turn come to feed on protein and corn, but they have been feeding mostly on forage because we had a pretty steady rainfall this year, plus competition with other ranches where deer travel to and fro. Our bucks aren't disappearing, there are lots of them in there, but the trophy bucks are coming out on cameras at night but not out to feed or coming out during days when we aren't there. If we don't get any bucks, we just grab a spike or two for the meat for the year on the spike season after buck season ends, its no big deal.

I meant all of y'all.

That's too many bucks for the amount of land your hunting. If I was one of the big neighbors you mentioned I would seriously consider high fencing your border if y'all continued to kill that many bucks.

When I was younger and we hunted 1000 acres in Young Co. there was 5 of us and we all understood we only killed mature bucks and that ended up being 2-3 a year. We shot plenty of does and hogs to keep the freezer full.

We had something we could afford and we took care of it and took really nice bucks every year. I wish y'all the best with your lease.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide