Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Post your last weekend buck of the season! #6608479 12/30/16 09:34 PM
J
Jungleexplorer Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Well, just a couple days left to the deer season. Can it be! I have been hunting this old buck for two years and he just won't let me get a shot at him. he is really old and I am quite sure this is his last year. I went out one last time this morning to see if I could get him. No luck, but I picked up this guy. Not a monster, but not a bad way to end the season. Let's see what everyone else gets this weekend.

[img]https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPG...zdDWlNqbUkyUTFR[/img]

Last edited by Jungleexplorer; 12/30/16 09:41 PM.

I'm sorry for my sins Jesus, please forgive me.

https://sorryformysins.com/

Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6608486 12/30/16 09:41 PM
T
Txfencebuilder s Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Nice job

Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6608492 12/30/16 09:43 PM
J
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Having trouble getting the image to show up. What's the trick?

Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6608493 12/30/16 09:43 PM
J
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J

Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6608616 12/30/16 11:33 PM
R
Red Cloud Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
He's a nice pretty tall buck How wide?

Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Red Cloud] #6608862 12/31/16 02:39 AM
J
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
As wide as he is ever gonna get. Lol!

On a buck this old, he was as wide as he was gonna get. I have seen 6 year old bucks with 10 inch wide racks. This is why I think Antler Restrictions are stupid and will be detrimental in the long run. AR only ensures that the only bucks that get to live out their full life and breed are narrow rack bucks like this one. It might take 30 years to see this effect, but if they don't stop this stupid AR thing, all bucks will have narrow racks down the road.

Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6608892 12/31/16 02:58 AM
J
jmh004 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Man I hope you don't actually hunt in one of these county's with AR, and then posted online that you shot an illegal buck in an AR county just because you disagree with the law.

Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6608928 12/31/16 03:26 AM
S
sbushee Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
That's what I was thinking. That deer isn't 13" wide

Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6609012 12/31/16 04:36 AM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
If I dont get a better one tomorrow this is mine.. I am very happy with him!

[img]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/..._39119501236735[/img]

Joseph Trousdale
Host Texas Game Hunters TV
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6609577 12/31/16 06:14 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Nice buck congrats. up

The AR laws are not perfect, and could use some tweeking, but the results speak for themselves that they have improved the average age of bucks harvested. Without having a history of what does these narrow bucks are born from you have no idea if you have eliminated the genes for narrow antlers by killing only the bucks that have these types of antlers.

Don't get me wrong, that's a nice mature buck you shot, again congrats.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6609723 12/31/16 09:07 PM
J
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Listen guys. There is no argument here. It is not the intent of AR laws to breed for better quality deer. It simply is not. The purpose of AR laws are to allow existing deer to get to a larger size before they can be shot. That is all it is about. It is not about breeding better deer. The plain and simple truth is, if the purpose were to breed better deer, they would make laws protecting the biggest and the best bucks and you could only kill the lesser inferior bucks. AR laws exist for one purpose only, and that is because the people that want them only value a deer for what is on it's head. Or in other words, Trophy Hunters. It is just that simple.

Take any other breeding program that has ever existed and you will find that they keep the best and kill the rest (The cull system). AR works the exact opposit. It kills the best and leaves the rest. Yes, in the short term, you will see more larger bucks, but 30 years from now hunters will be cursing the name the the idiots that came up with AR.

Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6609724 12/31/16 09:09 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Nice buck

Hopefully your not in an AR county

Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6609729 12/31/16 09:14 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Jungleexplorer
As wide as he is ever gonna get. Lol!

On a buck this old, he was as wide as he was gonna get. I have seen 6 year old bucks with 10 inch wide racks. This is why I think Antler Restrictions are stupid and will be detrimental in the long run. AR only ensures that the only bucks that get to live out their full life and breed are narrow rack bucks like this one. It might take 30 years to see this effect, but if they don't stop this stupid AR thing, all bucks will have narrow racks down the road.

That's not true at all.

Does carry 50% of the genetics anyway so there is the offset to your theory

It will never change the genetics on low fence property it will just allow bucks to reach maturity

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6609735 12/31/16 09:17 PM
J
jmh004 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
But don't you think a vast majority of hunters would prefer to shoot a buck with larger antlers? Not saying that they are trophy hunters exactly, but if given the option I think most people would shoot a larger buck. The only way to do that on a statewide scale is to try to get more age on a deer. I think the AR rule is about the only way to do that on a statewide scale.

Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: jmh004] #6614967 01/04/17 12:17 AM
J
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted By: jmh004
But don't you think a vast majority of hunters would prefer to shoot a buck with larger antlers? Not saying that they are trophy hunters exactly, but if given the option I think most people would shoot a larger buck. The only way to do that on a statewide scale is to try to get more age on a deer. I think the AR rule is about the only way to do that on a statewide scale.

I think that most hunters that have been influenced or brainwashed by a society in which the Trophy Hunting mentality is prevalent would prefer deer with larger antlers.

Unlike most people here, I have actually lived somewhere other then closed social culture box of the American mentality. I lived and hunted for over 30 years with tribal people from the First Nations Inuit people of the Northern Canada to Indigenous Amazonians of South America. These people hunt for survival purposes only. I can tell you unequivocally that not one of them cared for the size of the antlers on a deer's head. In fact, in these cultures, the male animal is the least desired. They much prefer the female. There is no evidence of trophy Hunting in these culture what-so-ever. So, I can tell you beyond the shadow of any doubt that the mentality that you demonstrated in your question to me (But don't you think a vast majority of hunters would prefer to shoot a buck with larger antlers?), comes 100% from the societal brainwashing of a culture obsessed with trophy hunting. I am not saying this to be insulting. It is simply the facts. You could try to debate me on this, but unless you have spent over three decades living with and studying other hunting cultures, it would just be your opinion against my experience.

I am not saying that people that want to trophy hunt are wrong. What is wrong is when trophy hunters try to get laws passed to make everyone else abide by what they want. I don;t have a problem with Trophy hunters. I have a problem with Trophy Hunters trying to tell me that I have to be like them.

If we were to place Trophy Hunting and Survival Meat Hunting on the balance scale of right and wrong, I think that without question, Trophy Hunting would tip the scale in the WRONG direction. Why? Because at the end of the day, hunting is about taking the life of a beautiful animal that has done you no harm. If your motivation to take an animals life is for the simple selfish reason of enjoyment, entertainment and bragging rights (Trophy Hunting), then I think that is a far less justifiable reason for killing an animal then taking an animals life to provide food for yourself or your family.

Again, I am not against people who Trophy hunt. But people who Trophy hunt are against people like me who Meat hunt. I am not the one trying to tell them how to hunt. They are the ones trying to tell me how to hunt and using their money and influence to lobby the state to pass laws to force me to be like them. So I have a reason to be upset with them. Don't you agree?

The bottom line here is, not everyone wants to be a trophy hunter! While trophy hunting is not necessary wrong, it is absolutely wrong for trophy hunters to try take away everyone else rights to hunt differently then them. This is America and we live in Texas. We are supposed to value freedom and liberty above all else. People who value a deer with larger antlers over other peoples freedom and liberty are in danger of losing the very foundation of the values and ethic the Great State of Texas stands for.

Last edited by Jungleexplorer; 01/04/17 12:22 AM.

Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6615011 01/04/17 12:33 AM
J
jmh004 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I think your comparing apples and oranges, but it seems that you've spent a lot more time thinking about this than I have though too.

Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6615066 01/04/17 12:58 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
We are in Texas. Most people on this forum are not in a tribe, most people on this forum do not hunt to sustain themselves and most people on this forum pay more per pound for their deer meat than they would for beef, chicken or pork at the grocery store.

I am proud of you for your experience but that doesn't make your opinion any more relevant than anyone else's, it is still an opinion. Just as you have made your stance about trophy hunters looking down on meat hunters being wrong, it is wrong of you to look down on trophy hunters because you don't agree with them.

As far as being brainwashed or influenced by society, maybe you are right. I would call it a product of their raising, but I definitely disagree that one way is more "right or wrong" when compared to the other. A argument can be made for both sides.

For instance, someone with experience such as yours but a different perspective could argue that the trophy hunters are helping the herd stay as healthy as possible, eliminate the weaker members and help them to reach their max potential while maintaining a herd that is at or below carrying capacity, thus reducing diseases, starvation, over grazing, etc. They can make the argument that "meat hunters" are non-selective and don't take the animals that are best for the herd, and if the need arouse, they would decimate the population in their best interest.

The statement that "don't you think a vast majority of hunters would prefer to shoot a buck with larger antlers?" is correct for the community that you are in. Even if you include the "meat hunters" in this region or even in America.

You said a few times you "aren't against Trophy hunters", but your words say different. You have a right to your opinion, but it doesn't make you any more right than if someone said the same about a "meat hunter." Just because someone does it different, doesn't mean one is right and one is wrong...just means they are different.

Thanks for sharing though, pretty interesting perspective cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: SapperTitan] #6615080 01/04/17 01:04 AM
J
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Nice buck

You are not first person to pose this question, so I will deal with it. Let me tell ya'll a little story.

I was once fishing in my kayak in West Galveston Bay out by the Deer Islands. The wind picked up and the sea got rough. I pulled in and anchored close to shore, down wind from a huge super fancy boat dock. I was just using the dock as a wind break. On the boat dock was a big sign that said, "Tying up to this dock is PROHIBITED!", so I just anchored near it to get out of the wind and waves. After a while I saw this small boat out in the middle of the bay just going for all it was worth. It was a small 14 foot open aluminum V-hull boat with about 50HP outboard. As I watched the two guys on boat ripping through the 4 foot waves I was at first worried they would sink. As they drew closer, I became aware that they were headed right at me. The closer they came, I could tell they were staring at me and their faces were not nice. They were soaking wet from sea spray as they came barreling up to within 20 feet of me and stopped. They just sat there started at me for about a minute not saying a word as I continued to fish. The more they started the angrier their faces became, but finally they turned around and headed back out to sea cussing and shaking their heads. As I sat there and pondered these events, I felt sad for these to old guys. It was obvious that they thought that I was tied up to that dock and that is why they came over there. They were at first mad that I was tied up to the dock and wanted catch me, and then they were mad because I was not tied up to the dock and they had wasted their time. I am pretty sure the dock did not belong to them because the $100,000 boat was still in the bay of that million dollar dock, and these guys were in an old $500 boat. Maybe they knew the owner or something.

So what is the point of this story? As I said, I was sad for them. Why? Because the thought crossed my mind that these two old guys must have such miserable and boring lives that they would stop fishing, pull anchor and nearly kill themselves racing across a mile of rough seas for the excitement of trying to catch someone who was tied up to a dock that was not even thiers. Those two men acted exactly like two busybody old ladies sitting on a porch watching their neighbors trying find something new to gossip about. Those poor guys had degraded themselves into to busybody old ladies by their actions and that made me sad for them.

Those two old men made two wrong assumptions that lead to their self-degrading actions that drove them to risk their lives and equipment.

1. They assumed that a person, that was a total stranger to them, was dishonest and disrespectful of the law.
2. They assumed that it was their responsibility to make a stranger do what they considered to be right.

So, SapperTitan, and everyone else who has posed this question. You choose can be like those two old miserable men and keep making the wrong assumptions about me, thereby degrading yourself into a busybody old lady; or you can act like a man and a true Texan and "Treat every man with respect until he proves himself unworthy of it." [color:#FF6666][/color] The choice of what you want to be is yours. When you say things like, "Hopefully your not in an AR county"[i][/i] you are disrespecting me sir. The next time you or anyone else here shows me this kind of disrespect, I will simple laugh to myself, feel sorry for you and call you a busybody old lady. Deal?

Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6615087 01/04/17 01:09 AM
J
jmh004 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Ahhhh ok? How does a simple question of how wide a deer is, go to some kind of version of The Old Man and the Sea?

Last edited by jmh004; 01/04/17 01:15 AM.
Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6615095 01/04/17 01:14 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Nice buck

You are not first person to pose this question, so I will deal with it. Let me tell ya'll a little story.

I was once fishing in my kayak in West Galveston Bay out by the Deer Islands. The wind picked up and the sea got rough. I pulled in and anchored close to shore, down wind from a huge super fancy boat dock. I was just using the dock as a wind break. On the boat dock was a big sign that said, "Tying up to this dock is PROHIBITED!", so I just anchored near it to get out of the wind and waves. After a while I saw this small boat out in the middle of the bay just going for all it was worth. It was a small 14 foot open aluminum V-hull boat with about 50HP outboard. As I watched the two guys on boat ripping through the 4 foot waves I was at first worried they would sink. As they drew closer, I became aware that they were headed right at me. The closer they came, I could tell they were staring at me and their faces were not nice. They were soaking wet from sea spray as they came barreling up to within 20 feet of me and stopped. They just sat there started at me for about a minute not saying a word as I continued to fish. The more they started the angrier their faces became, but finally they turned around and headed back out to sea cussing and shaking their heads. As I sat there and pondered these events, I felt sad for these to old guys. It was obvious that they thought that I was tied up to that dock and that is why they came over there. They were at first mad that I was tied up to the dock and wanted catch me, and then they were mad because I was not tied up to the dock and they had wasted their time. I am pretty sure the dock did not belong to them because the $100,000 boat was still in the bay of that million dollar dock, and these guys were in an old $500 boat. Maybe they knew the owner or something.

So what is the point of this story? As I said, I was sad for them. Why? Because the thought crossed my mind that these two old guys must have such miserable and boring lives that they would stop fishing, pull anchor and nearly kill themselves racing across a mile of rough seas for the excitement of trying to catch someone who was tied up to a dock that was not even thiers. Those two men acted exactly like two busybody old ladies sitting on a porch watching their neighbors trying find something new to gossip about. Those poor guys had degraded themselves into to busybody old ladies by their actions and that made me sad for them.

Those two old men made two wrong assumptions that lead to their self-degrading actions that drove them to risk their lives and equipment.

1. They assumed that a person, that was a total stranger to them, was dishonest and disrespectful of the law.
2. They assumed that it was their responsibility to make a stranger do what they considered to be right.

So, SapperTitan, and everyone else who has posed this question. You choose can be like those two old miserable men and keep making the wrong assumptions about me, thereby degrading yourself into a busybody old lady; or you can act like a man and a true Texan and "Treat every man with respect until he proves himself unworthy of it." [color:#FF6666][/color] The choice of what you want to be is yours. When you say things like, "Hopefully your not in an AR county"[i][/i] you are disrespecting me sir. The next time you or anyone else here shows me this kind of disrespect, I will simple laugh to myself, feel sorry for you and call you a busybody old lady. Deal?

After the way you speak about Game Wardens who are sworn to protect us and our resources I could give a [censored] less what your opinion or idea of what disrespect is. I posted a picture for you bc you aren't capable of a simple task of uploading a pic to a forum. So like I said your opinion doesn't mean [censored] to me

Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6615833 01/04/17 03:13 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
In my mind Antler Restrictions do way more than allowing deer to get mature before they get shot, they keep people from killing everything with antlers.

If you shot that deer illegally in an AR county they can find you even with your face covered.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6615884 01/04/17 03:42 PM
W
whitewing maniac Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W

First buck I've got since AR's went into effect in Montgomery County about 5 or 6 years ago. Got him last Wednesday, not the one I was after, but a decent buck to me none the less.

Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6615907 01/04/17 03:58 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Nice buck

AKA "yes, I do hunt in an AR county..."

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6616004 01/04/17 05:06 PM
J
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Sapper Titan

Just in case you my last post and story was a little too difficult for you to understand, let me simplify it, in a good will effort to help you understand what my intentions were. When you said, "Hopefully you are not in an AR county." You deliberately disrespected and insulted me. Yes, you did. First, you disrespected me by questioning my honesty by IMPLYING that you were not sure if I was a law abiding citizen. Second you insulted by implying that I would be so stupid as to knowingly break the law and then post a picture on the internet to brag about it. That is pretty low my friend. Pretty low indeed.

I am a stranger to you. Why would you disrespect and insult a total stranger like you did me? Why would even pose the question that you did? Why? Because you made the exact same wrong two assumptions about me that those two fishermen did that day. First you assumed that I was not a respectful law abiding citizen, and second, you assumed that it was your responsibility to make sure I was. And like those two men that saw they were wrong about and felt like idiots, you got even madder and started cussing (if you could on this forum). Hey, I did not write your last post, so don't blame me for the words you tried to use. You are the one who started this by disrespecting and insulting me, so you have no right to get mad if I respond and point out the disrespectful insulting busybody you made of yourself by your own actions.

Just in case you missed it in my last post, why don't you try living by the Texas way. "Treat ever man with respect until he proves himself unworthy of it." if you would have followed that rule, we would not be here. Okay.

SapperTitan, We can have a disagreement about ideology without being disrespectful. And just because a person disagrees with a law, does not automatically mean they break it. Laws get changed because people disagree with the current law. That's how things work. And laws get changed by people discussing and talking about the laws they disagree with. Discussing and talking about a law you disagree with, does not make you a criminal in this country because the Constitution grants us "Freedom of Speech". I am praying that you are smart enough to get the message here.

Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6616063 01/04/17 05:43 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Didn't take long for this to go south.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide