Forum Stats
62645 Members
46 Forums
438089 Topics
6034185 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#6608479 - 12/30/16 03:34 PM Post your last weekend buck of the season!
Jungleexplorer Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Abilene, Texas
Well, just a couple days left to the deer season. Can it be! I have been hunting this old buck for two years and he just won't let me get a shot at him. he is really old and I am quite sure this is his last year. I went out one last time this morning to see if I could get him. No luck, but I picked up this guy. Not a monster, but not a bad way to end the season. Let's see what everyone else gets this weekend.

[img]https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPG...zdDWlNqbUkyUTFR[/img]

Edited by Jungleexplorer (12/30/16 03:41 PM)

https://thejungleexplorer.com

NRA Life Time Member.

#6608486 - 12/30/16 03:41 PM Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer]
Txfencebuilder s Offline
Outdoorsman

Nice job

#6608492 - 12/30/16 03:43 PM Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer]
Jungleexplorer Offline
Woodsman

Having trouble getting the image to show up. What's the trick?

NRA Life Time Member.

#6608493 - 12/30/16 03:43 PM Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer]
Jungleexplorer Offline
Woodsman

NRA Life Time Member.

#6608616 - 12/30/16 05:33 PM Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer]
Red Cloud Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Weatherford, Texas
He's a nice pretty tall buck How wide?

#6608862 - 12/30/16 08:39 PM Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Red Cloud]
Jungleexplorer Offline
Woodsman

As wide as he is ever gonna get. Lol!

On a buck this old, he was as wide as he was gonna get. I have seen 6 year old bucks with 10 inch wide racks. This is why I think Antler Restrictions are stupid and will be detrimental in the long run. AR only ensures that the only bucks that get to live out their full life and breed are narrow rack bucks like this one. It might take 30 years to see this effect, but if they don't stop this stupid AR thing, all bucks will have narrow racks down the road.

NRA Life Time Member.

#6608892 - 12/30/16 08:58 PM Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer]
jmh004 Offline
Bird Dog

Man I hope you don't actually hunt in one of these county's with AR, and then posted online that you shot an illegal buck in an AR county just because you disagree with the law.

#6608928 - 12/30/16 09:26 PM Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer]
sbushee Online   content
Pro Tracker

That's what I was thinking. That deer isn't 13" wide

#6609012 - 12/30/16 10:36 PM Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer]
jtprocaddie Offline
Tracker

Loc: Houston, Texas
If I dont get a better one tomorrow this is mine.. I am very happy with him!

[img]http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/..._39119501236735[/img]

#6609577 - 12/31/16 12:14 PM Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer]
Pitchfork Predator Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Murphy, TX Dickens county
Nice buck congrats. up

The AR laws are not perfect, and could use some tweeking, but the results speak for themselves that they have improved the average age of bucks harvested. Without having a history of what does these narrow bucks are born from you have no idea if you have eliminated the genes for narrow antlers by killing only the bucks that have these types of antlers.

Don't get me wrong, that's a nice mature buck you shot, again congrats.

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#6609723 - 12/31/16 03:07 PM Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer]
Jungleexplorer Offline
Woodsman

Listen guys. There is no argument here. It is not the intent of AR laws to breed for better quality deer. It simply is not. The purpose of AR laws are to allow existing deer to get to a larger size before they can be shot. That is all it is about. It is not about breeding better deer. The plain and simple truth is, if the purpose were to breed better deer, they would make laws protecting the biggest and the best bucks and you could only kill the lesser inferior bucks. AR laws exist for one purpose only, and that is because the people that want them only value a deer for what is on it's head. Or in other words, Trophy Hunters. It is just that simple.

Take any other breeding program that has ever existed and you will find that they keep the best and kill the rest (The cull system). AR works the exact opposit. It kills the best and leaves the rest. Yes, in the short term, you will see more larger bucks, but 30 years from now hunters will be cursing the name the the idiots that came up with AR.

NRA Life Time Member.

#6609724 - 12/31/16 03:09 PM Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer]
SapperTitan Online   content
Taking Requests

Loc: Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
Nice buck

Hopefully your not in an AR county

#6609729 - 12/31/16 03:14 PM Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer]
txtrophy85 Online   content
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Jungleexplorer
As wide as he is ever gonna get. Lol!

On a buck this old, he was as wide as he was gonna get. I have seen 6 year old bucks with 10 inch wide racks. This is why I think Antler Restrictions are stupid and will be detrimental in the long run. AR only ensures that the only bucks that get to live out their full life and breed are narrow rack bucks like this one. It might take 30 years to see this effect, but if they don't stop this stupid AR thing, all bucks will have narrow racks down the road.

That's not true at all.

Does carry 50% of the genetics anyway so there is the offset to your theory

It will never change the genetics on low fence property it will just allow bucks to reach maturity

#6609735 - 12/31/16 03:17 PM Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: Jungleexplorer]
jmh004 Offline
Bird Dog

But don't you think a vast majority of hunters would prefer to shoot a buck with larger antlers? Not saying that they are trophy hunters exactly, but if given the option I think most people would shoot a larger buck. The only way to do that on a statewide scale is to try to get more age on a deer. I think the AR rule is about the only way to do that on a statewide scale.

#6614967 - 01/03/17 06:17 PM Re: Post your last weekend buck of the season! [Re: jmh004]
Jungleexplorer Offline
Woodsman

Originally Posted By: jmh004
But don't you think a vast majority of hunters would prefer to shoot a buck with larger antlers? Not saying that they are trophy hunters exactly, but if given the option I think most people would shoot a larger buck. The only way to do that on a statewide scale is to try to get more age on a deer. I think the AR rule is about the only way to do that on a statewide scale.

I think that most hunters that have been influenced or brainwashed by a society in which the Trophy Hunting mentality is prevalent would prefer deer with larger antlers.

Unlike most people here, I have actually lived somewhere other then closed social culture box of the American mentality. I lived and hunted for over 30 years with tribal people from the First Nations Inuit people of the Northern Canada to Indigenous Amazonians of South America. These people hunt for survival purposes only. I can tell you unequivocally that not one of them cared for the size of the antlers on a deer's head. In fact, in these cultures, the male animal is the least desired. They much prefer the female. There is no evidence of trophy Hunting in these culture what-so-ever. So, I can tell you beyond the shadow of any doubt that the mentality that you demonstrated in your question to me (But don't you think a vast majority of hunters would prefer to shoot a buck with larger antlers?), comes 100% from the societal brainwashing of a culture obsessed with trophy hunting. I am not saying this to be insulting. It is simply the facts. You could try to debate me on this, but unless you have spent over three decades living with and studying other hunting cultures, it would just be your opinion against my experience.

I am not saying that people that want to trophy hunt are wrong. What is wrong is when trophy hunters try to get laws passed to make everyone else abide by what they want. I don;t have a problem with Trophy hunters. I have a problem with Trophy Hunters trying to tell me that I have to be like them.

If we were to place Trophy Hunting and Survival Meat Hunting on the balance scale of right and wrong, I think that without question, Trophy Hunting would tip the scale in the WRONG direction. Why? Because at the end of the day, hunting is about taking the life of a beautiful animal that has done you no harm. If your motivation to take an animals life is for the simple selfish reason of enjoyment, entertainment and bragging rights (Trophy Hunting), then I think that is a far less justifiable reason for killing an animal then taking an animals life to provide food for yourself or your family.

Again, I am not against people who Trophy hunt. But people who Trophy hunt are against people like me who Meat hunt. I am not the one trying to tell them how to hunt. They are the ones trying to tell me how to hunt and using their money and influence to lobby the state to pass laws to force me to be like them. So I have a reason to be upset with them. Don't you agree?

The bottom line here is, not everyone wants to be a trophy hunter! While trophy hunting is not necessary wrong, it is absolutely wrong for trophy hunters to try take away everyone else rights to hunt differently then them. This is America and we live in Texas. We are supposed to value freedom and liberty above all else. People who value a deer with larger antlers over other peoples freedom and liberty are in danger of losing the very foundation of the values and ethic the Great State of Texas stands for.

Edited by Jungleexplorer (01/03/17 06:22 PM)

NRA Life Time Member.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide