Re: Another easement question. [Re: don k] #6609669 12/31/16 08:04 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Look at the survey. The easement should be referenced on the survey

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Another easement question. [Re: don k] #6609765 12/31/16 09:32 PM
D
don k Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
It is not mentioned. the only thing out of the ordinary in the deed is retaining 1/2 oil gas and mineral rights.

Re: Another easement question. [Re: don k] #6609843 12/31/16 10:28 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: don k
It is not mentioned. the only thing out of the ordinary in the deed is retaining 1/2 oil gas and mineral rights.

It won't be mentioned in the deed. Only reservations and exceptions to conveyance.

If there was an easement it should appear on the survey. If not, their legal access may be thru another ranch.

Re: Another easement question. [Re: don k] #6609846 12/31/16 10:29 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
For all the folks following this, this is a prime example of why you should run any transaction thru a title company

Re: Another easement question. [Re: txtrophy85] #6609927 12/31/16 11:18 PM
D
don k Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
For all the folks following this, this is a prime example of why you should run any transaction thru a title company
I purchased the property that the road continues though the property we are discussing. There are two more individuals that travel through mine to get to their property.I have a title policy for that purchase. No where on it is there any reference of an easement.

Re: Another easement question. [Re: don k] #6610966 01/01/17 07:22 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Something is up then. These people are traveling thru your property but there is no record of any ingress/egress easements on any survey or title policy?

I would def. investigate into this further

Re: Another easement question. [Re: don k] #6611027 01/01/17 07:50 PM
D
don k Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
These other places have been there for over 60 years that I know of. They have not changed hands except through death and then were not sold except part of one to me. If no one has requested any easements then there would be none on record. The ones next to me are the ones that I know will have to sell when the present owner passes. Non of the 3 that will get the place care about it. There is no way to devide it and please all three. the present owner is a very good person but the ones that will get it are not that way and have messed with me once too often.

Re: Another easement question. [Re: don k] #6669582 02/10/17 06:19 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
If this has been used for a few years then it is an easement by perscription...

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Another easement question. [Re: snake oil] #6670586 02/11/17 02:47 PM
D
don k Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: snake oil
Yes I realize that.But back to the original question. Do they need a written and recorded easement going through my property to borrow money from a lending agency to buy that property? As I said before on another property I own there was a situation almost the same. The owners of the property wanted to build a home. They had to have a written and recorded easement to borrow the money.

Re: Another easement question. [Re: don k] #6670595 02/11/17 02:52 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: don k
Originally Posted By: snake oil
Yes I realize that.But back to the original question. Do they need a written and recorded easement going through my property to borrow money from a lending agency to buy that property? As I said before on another property I own there was a situation almost the same. The owners of the property wanted to build a home. They had to have a written and recorded easement to borrow the money.

Typically yes. A lender requires title insurance and a policy won't be insured without legal access

Re: Another easement question. [Re: don k] #6670662 02/11/17 03:34 PM
T
Txhuntr2 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
If the neighbors are landlocked, and you won't grant them an access easement to a dedicated public road, they have a good argument for an easement by necessity. There are easements in gross that belong to people, but this easement would run with the land and go to subsequent title holders. They don't just acquire an easement through precscriptive rights automatically as stated above. If the statutory time frame for you (original poster) to exclude them has run, then they can go to court in an action to quiet title, claiming easement by necessity and that they have acquired prescriptive title. They sound like they have a good case. There is also a concept called latches. It means if you know of a trespass and sleep on your rights, as you have done for years, the courts likely won't side with you to oust them.

As for tittle insurance and the ability to acquire financing. Some lenders use attorneys to review loans, some don't. Hard to say what a lender might require. That said, a good title company will except to access in Schedule B and a good attorney representing the lender will notice it and tell the lender not to close the loan because the lender won't want to deal with the headache described above if they have to foreclose.

This is not legal advice. Just ramblings. Seek legal advice from an attorney that represents you.

Re: Another easement question. [Re: don k] #6670674 02/11/17 03:42 PM
K
kk66 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
You should go talk to txtrophy as it can get pretty complicated. You've also got to watch out for implied easements where if the two places were once the same Tract the law can find that an easement was intended when the places were separated

Re: Another easement question. [Re: Txhuntr2] #6670796 02/11/17 05:25 PM
D
don k Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Txhuntr2
If the neighbors are landlocked, and you won't grant them an access easement to a dedicated public road, they have a good argument for an easement by necessity. There are easements in gross that belong to people, but this easement would run with the land and go to subsequent title holders. They don't just acquire an easement through precscriptive rights automatically as stated above. If the statutory time frame for you (original poster) to exclude them has run, then they can go to court in an action to quiet title, claiming easement by necessity and that they have acquired prescriptive title. They sound like they have a good case. There is also a concept called latches. It means if you know of a trespass and sleep on your rights, as you have done for years, the courts likely won't side with you to oust them.

As for tittle insurance and the ability to acquire financing. Some lenders use attorneys to review loans, some don't. Hard to say what a lender might require. That said, a good title company will except to access in Schedule B and a good attorney representing the lender will notice it and tell the lender not to close the loan because the lender won't want to deal with the headache described above if they have to foreclose.

This is not legal advice. Just ramblings. Seek legal advice from an attorney that represents you.
I am not trying to restrict their access to their property. All I want to know is do I have to give them an recorded easement? I know that I cannot deny their access to their property. But as said before I don't want to make it easy for them to get a written and recorded easement when they start wanting to sell the property. It may seem to some that I am being an AH but you don't know what got me to this point.

Re: Another easement question. [Re: don k] #6671339 02/12/17 03:03 AM
T
Txhuntr2 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
If you choose not to convey an access easement, and they really want a record title interest in the one and only way to access their property, you are probably running a risk that they might try to take you to court in an attempt to acquire one.

Again, you should seek legal advice from a licensed attorney who represents you.

Re: Another easement question. [Re: don k] #6676607 02/16/17 05:52 AM
B
brazoscounty Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Was once in a similar situation. No deeded access is a problem. The legal advice I rec'd suggested the landlocked party was NOT in a strong position. Adjacent owners had no obligation to provide deeded access or any legal access through their property, regardless of past use. Likely the landlocked party would need to say their prayers, ask real nice, and bring their checkbook in hopes of resolving their deeded access problem.

An hour with a local real estate lawyer is needed to know all the options.

Re: Another easement question. [Re: brazoscounty] #6676666 02/16/17 01:06 PM
D
don k Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: brazoscounty
Was once in a similar situation. No deeded access is a problem. The legal advice I rec'd suggested the landlocked party was NOT in a strong position. Adjacent owners had no obligation to provide deeded access or any legal access through their property, regardless of past use. Likely the landlocked party would need to say their prayers, ask real nice, and bring their checkbook in hopes of resolving their deeded access problem.

An hour with a local real estate lawyer is needed to know all the options.
Until the time comes I am not going to do anything.

Re: Another easement question. [Re: don k] #6681508 02/20/17 07:44 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I love my places that are at the end of the road with deeded easements for this reason.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Another easement question. [Re: don k] #6686693 02/25/17 05:44 AM
B
bignoggin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I thought I might try and assist with this inquiry. From what I read, both brazoscounty and Txhunter2 have given you good advice in their respective posts above. Especially, regarding their advice to consult with a competent real estate attorney. Several of us responding to your query have dealt expressly with similar issue, either practically or otherwise, and some of us may or may not be legal professionals - however, you should employ your own counsel, who is considerably experienced in these matters. As previously stated, an hour of time with a good real estate attorney, will be money well-spent. As they say, the horse is at the trough.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide