facebook
Forum Stats
61112 Members
46 Forums
416215 Topics
5752319 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Topic Options
#6604072 - 12/27/16 10:13 AM Who has Alaska drop hunt gear?
Bengoin Online   content
Outdoorsman

Loc: Mountain Springs, tx
Looking for pack frame(>7000ci), bags, rain gear, boots, gps, sleeping bag, etc..., no tent needed. Whatcha got???

#6605597 - 12/28/16 12:39 PM Re: Who has Alaska drop hunt gear? [Re: Bengoin]
HCHunter28 Offline
Woodsman

Stone glacier now. Last hunt I used a Cabela's daypack and left a metal frame at camp for meat pack out. Kuiu rain gear now I used Cabela's brand last Alaska hunt. I have a sierra designs mummy. If I was to do it again, I would get an enlightened equipment quilt. We used the rhino radio/ gps. Lowa boots.

What kind of hunt? Caribou is usually in the open and you don't need a gps. The rhinos were cool because you could see where the other group was hunting. It was too hot for my mummy bag and I ended up using it as a quilt. Get a small bag that can expand and shrink. You won't need to carry a lot If you get dropped off. I can carry everything for a drop camp in 3000 cu in or less. I can add a 2000 ci bag in between frame and main bag if I needed more space.

Ive spent a lot on my gear but most places run good specials. Find someone that can get a pro discount. Teachers and veterans can get them and it's usually 30-50% off.

#6607857 - 12/30/16 06:23 AM Re: Who has Alaska drop hunt gear? [Re: HCHunter28]
Bengoin Online   content
Outdoorsman

Thanks HCH,
DIY moose hunt in Southern Brooks Range. Having never been up there I'm pretty nervous about having the "right" gear. Outfitter provided a generic list (sleeping bag, waders, rain gear. etc) but is not real specific so I am trying to make the most educated purchases I can.
I now have the pack/frame, sleeping bag, boots, socks, light rain gear, and a few other things.

Wondering about maybe some specific brand and model recommendations:

waders: Insulated or uninsulated??

gloves:

#6609075 - 12/30/16 11:39 PM Re: Who has Alaska drop hunt gear? [Re: Bengoin]
HCHunter28 Offline
Woodsman

Gloves- gloves are tough. Nothing's truly waterproof with good dexterity. Some guys like leather or thick wool gloves. I like to wear the wool or poly liners and find a water/wind resistant glove that fits over. I usually wear nothing or just the liners if I can stand it. If you go with liners buy a couple to rotate.
Waders- I haven't been in areas for actual waders. We used hip waders once but that was tied to the fishing part of the trip. I would probably bring breathable waders because they're lightweight. Lightweight is usually better and you won't be standing in water for a long time.

#6609884 - 12/31/16 04:52 PM Re: Who has Alaska drop hunt gear? [Re: HCHunter28]
HCHunter28 Offline
Woodsman

What outfitter are you going through?

#6612050 - 01/02/17 09:09 AM Re: Who has Alaska drop hunt gear? [Re: Bengoin]
Bengoin Online   content
Outdoorsman

Decision has not been finalized but it's looking like arowhead outfitters

#6612153 - 01/02/17 10:14 AM Re: Who has Alaska drop hunt gear? [Re: Bengoin]
MacDaddy21 Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: CO
First Lite makes some awesome hunting gear, might check there. Also, Kifaru out of Denver makes some great hunting packs, packable ultralight tipis/shelters, sleeping bags, parkas, etc.

#6634658 - 01/15/17 11:37 PM Re: Who has Alaska drop hunt gear? [Re: Bengoin]
Peaceman Offline
Light Foot

I live and hunt in AK. Happy to give some specific advice if you PM me. Are you float hunting, drop off, canoe? Temps can vary dramatically from 70 degrees to below freezing but your guide should be able to line you out. Typically moose season is wet the entire time. Many of us spend all day in breathable uninsulated chest waders (Simms make great ones but expensive). I like my wading boots and they provide enough traction. When you sink up to your crotch in a mud bog you also don't loose your hip wader. I have Kuiu raingear that I wear, but typically a Helly Hansen light full length jacket works best unless you plan on hiking a lot, but that's usually not moose hunting here as you need to pack it out.

A good frame pack is a must if you are packing it any distance as the quarters, ribs, etc are very heavy.

Get a dry bag for your sleeping bag for the trip in. Synthetic is preferable but the waterproof down bags work too if you have a good tent and its not likely to get wet. I have a 20 degree bag and it works well. You can always wear clothes to bed if its gets colder.

for knives, a good skinning knife (Havalon with changeable blades), and a heavier bladed knife for the joint work. Some like a small saw for the ribs, sternum and antler work if needed.

a cheap tarp is great for keeping the meat clean when quartering the moose. minimum of 6 game bags, but 8 is better.

I have Kuiu outdry gloves and liked those. I also had a pair of neoprene gloves and these are nice as they keep your hands warm and doesn't matter if its raining.

If you will be in the rain, an outdoor research seattle sombrero hat is worth gold (along with a beanie underneath). If your rifle is blued, you will need gun oil to keep it from rusting and consider using wax on the stock and barrel.

The biggest advice is to get a video from the AK state Fish and game on identifying legal moose. Its harder than you think and bring good optics (10x42 quality binos) as these will be glued to your eyes the entire hunt. Having a good spotter is nice too and will keep you from trekking great distances for a sub-legal bull.

Good luck.

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide